Richard's ~JA~

Default Salmon Steaks Question

I have two beautiful and rather large 1-1/2" thick salmon steaks to cook
just for myself, but I have no clue how to simple-cook them to
flaky-done without drying them out. I do know that I want only the
flavor of the salmon, rather than any sort of sauce. Shall I salt &
pepper the naked steaks, then fry them in just a bit of butter, and what
is the testing for done trick? Last time I cooked one of these it
seemed like it took a very long time to cook-through, and the test of
fork-flaking to check for doneness didn't seem to work well, as the
outer edges were a bit dry, while the inner area seemed one too cooked
at all.

I certainly would appreciate help with this cooking, and thank you in
advance.

=A0=A0=A0Picky ~JA~

Dave Smith

Richard's ~JA~ wrote:

> I have two beautiful and rather large 1-1/2" thick salmon steaks to cook
> just for myself, but I have no clue how to simple-cook them to
> flaky-done without drying them out. I do know that I want only the
> flavor of the salmon, rather than any sort of sauce. Shall I salt &
> pepper the naked steaks, then fry them in just a bit of butter, and what
> is the testing for done trick? Last time I cooked one of these it
> seemed like it took a very long time to cook-through, and the test of
> fork-flaking to check for doneness didn't seem to work well, as the
> outer edges were a bit dry, while the inner area seemed one too cooked
> at all.

For steaks that thick it may be difficult to fry or grill them to
perfection. They should probably be baked. Salmon does not need to be
salted, but a little will not hurt, and a little freshly cracked pepper is
nice. They should be brushed with butter and a little fresh dill is nice on
them.

sf

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 14:36:54 GMT, Steve Calvin
> wrote:
> >

> Or a nice poached salmon is mighty tasty and pretty tough to mess up.
> S&P both sides, sear (quickly) on both sides, add about 1/4-1/2 of
> fish stock if you have it or chicken works ok, cover pan and reduce
> heat to just above a simmer.

Although my first choice is to grill salmon, it's simple,
but boring if you do it all the time - so my second choice
is to oven poach with dry white wine and lemon
(no searing and no stock, just wine).

sf

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 09:47:54 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> For steaks that thick it may be difficult to fry or grill them to
> perfection. They should probably be baked. Salmon does not need to be
> salted, but a little will not hurt, and a little freshly cracked pepper is
> nice. They should be brushed with butter and a little fresh dill is nice on
> them.

You just reminded me... a friend from long ago used to bake
her salmon steaks with... mayonaise spread on top. Gross, I
thought - until I tried it. Very tastey! I don't know how
she timed it, but when the mayo was puffed up and golden -
the salmon was done to perfection. Fresh dill is always
good with salmon, but not always available.

In rec.food.cooking, Richard's ~JA~ > wrote:
> I have two beautiful and rather large 1-1/2" thick salmon steaks to cook
> just for myself, but I have no clue how to simple-cook them to
> flaky-done without drying them out.

High heat.

I do know that I want only the
> flavor of the salmon, rather than any sort of sauce. Shall I salt &
> pepper the naked steaks, then fry them in just a bit of butter,

Butter will not get hot enough without burning.

and what
> is the testing for done trick? Last time I cooked one of these it
> seemed like it took a very long time to cook-through, and the test of
> fork-flaking to check for doneness didn't seem to work well, as the
> outer edges were a bit dry, while the inner area seemed one too cooked
> at all.

> I certainly would appreciate help with this cooking, and thank you in
> advance.

Use extremely hot hardwood embers. On the outside, use an extremely thi
coat of mild-flavored oil.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
JLove98905

Poached salmon comes out very moist and delicious. You mentioned that you don't
want a sauce - I don't know what you might poach it in, other than a white wine
or stock-based liquid. Maybe someone has thoughts on that one?
-Jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright