Doug Weller

Default How to cook a ribeye roast?

We've got a 1.22 kg ribeye roast, how do people recommend we cook it?
Thanks.

Doug
Jag Man

Ed did one at Christmas. Basically, you lay it in a roasting pan with fat
side up
and cook about 15 minutes per pound at about 350F. However, it's best to use
a meat thermometer
especially if you want it rare or medium rare. Ours finished fast.

We followed a recipe in found at epicurious.com. Rubbed it with thyme before
roasting,
and used pan drippings to prepare an herb/wine/shallot sauce. It was
excellent.

Ed

"Doug Weller" > wrote in message
> We've got a 1.22 kg ribeye roast, how do people recommend we cook it?
> Thanks.
>
> Doug

Malcolm Loades

In message > , Jag Man
> writes
>Ed did one at Christmas. Basically, you lay it in a roasting pan with fat
>side up
>and cook about 15 minutes per pound at about 350F. However, it's best to use
>a meat thermometer
>especially if you want it rare or medium rare. Ours finished fast.

I asked for a "simple meat thermometer" for Christmas, my nearest and
dearest overrode this and bought me a fancy one. It is in two parts, a
calculator type body with display, and a probe with a shielded lead
which plugs into the calculator bit. The calculator bit has magnets on
the back so sticks to the oven door which can be closed on the lead. I
wasn't sure how useful this all singing all dancing thing would be.

Christmas day lunch was roast beef so I had to try it out. I programmed
the thing to beep when the centre of the beef reached 47C ( I like it
very rare) and always rest it for 30 minutes before carving. This is
what the instruction book indicated as the temperature needed. Not yet
trusting the gadget I worked out when I was going to remove the beef
regardless of what the thermometer said!

It was fascinating watching the temperature slowly increase and
surprise, surprise it starting beeping at just the time I'd intended to
remove it anyway. I was instantly converted to loving the thing :-)
I'm now going to use it every time I roast meat and not bother with the
weight calculation, but it will really come into it's own during the BBQ
season. I always find it tricky to get a leg of lamb, or rib of beef,
just right when using the BBQ because the BBQ temperature goes up and
down like a whore's knickers ;-)
--
Malcolm

hahabogus

" > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 09:42:18 +0000, Malcolm Loades
> > wrote:
>
>>In message > , Jag Man
> writes
>>>Ed did one at Christmas. Basically, you lay it in a roasting pan with
>>>fat side up
>>>and cook about 15 minutes per pound at about 350F. However, it's best
>>>to use a meat thermometer
>>>especially if you want it rare or medium rare. Ours finished fast.

>>I asked for a "simple meat thermometer" for Christmas, my nearest and
>>dearest overrode this and bought me a fancy one. It is in two parts,
>>a calculator type body with display, and a probe with a shielded lead
>>which plugs into the calculator bit. The calculator bit has magnets
>>on the back so sticks to the oven door which can be closed on the
>>lead. I wasn't sure how useful this all singing all dancing thing
>>would be.
>>
>>Christmas day lunch was roast beef so I had to try it out. I
>>programmed the thing to beep when the centre of the beef reached 47C (
>>I like it very rare) and always rest it for 30 minutes before carving.
>> This is what the instruction book indicated as the temperature
>>needed. Not yet trusting the gadget I worked out when I was going to
>>remove the beef regardless of what the thermometer said!
>>
>>It was fascinating watching the temperature slowly increase and
>>surprise, surprise it starting beeping at just the time I'd intended
>>to remove it anyway. I was instantly converted to loving the thing
>>:-) I'm now going to use it every time I roast meat and not bother
>>with the weight calculation, but it will really come into it's own
>>during the BBQ season. I always find it tricky to get a leg of lamb,
>>or rib of beef, just right when using the BBQ because the BBQ
>>temperature goes up and down like a whore's knickers ;-)

> What kind was it? I buy my own presents, and I usually start buying
> them sometime in January. That sounds like something I'd want. Not
> being sure which one of those types of meat thermometers are good or
> not, I thought since you had already had good results with yours that
> maybe you'd let us know where she got it from and all.
> --
> candeh

A caution on the digital meat thermometer. Most of these thermometers
cannot exceed 392F in temperature (the wires inside the braided shield
shorts out when the insulation on them melts). This limits their usefulness
during BBQ Season, as a good BBQ can get upwards of 700F or more. So check
out the specs if you have one already. Or shop around for a model that will
exceed the 392F limit.

<http://www.partshelf.com/tayod14digov.html> This site at least offers
additional probes for sale.

--
And the beet goes on! (or under)
-me just a while ago
Malcolm Loades

In message >,
" > writes

http://tinyurl.com/2jov4
--
Malcolm

Abso

On 02/01/2004 at 16:53:58, Malcolm Loades typed:

> In message >,
> " > writes
> > On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 09:42:18 +0000, Malcolm Loades
> > wrote:
> > > I asked for a "simple meat thermometer" for Christmas, my nearest
> > > and dearest overrode this and bought me a fancy one.

> > What kind was it? I buy my own presents, and I usually start buying
> > them sometime in January. That sounds like something I'd want. Not
> > being sure which one of those types of meat thermometers are good or
> > not, I thought since you had already had good results with yours
> > that maybe you'd let us know where she got it from and all.

> http://tinyurl.com/2jov4

There are also a couple of alternatives he

http://www.legendcookshop.co.uk/uk2shop-32.htm

--
Abso [at] ukrm [dot] net - Ignore header email address
BSA DBD34GS Gold Star

In rec.food.cooking hahabogus > wrote:

> A caution on the digital meat thermometer. Most of these thermometers
> cannot exceed 392F in temperature (the wires inside the braided shield
> shorts out when the insulation on them melts).

It is not the wires, but rather, the limit of the thermistor.

This limits their usefulness
> during BBQ Season, as a good BBQ can get upwards of 700F or more. So check
> out the specs if you have one already. Or shop around for a model that will
> exceed the 392F limit.

Barbecue is low temperature indirect cooking. You do not need a
thermometer for grilling, which is what you are talking about.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

Cook a perfect ribeye drunk jim Barbecue 35 28-04-2006 04:21 AM
ribeye roast Doc Holiday Barbecue 8 19-04-2006 02:03 AM
Can I cut a ribeye roast into steaks? [email protected] General Cooking 16 30-05-2005 11:59 AM
Can I cut a ribeye roast into steaks? Bubba General Cooking 0 26-05-2005 09:32 PM
Ribeye roast recommendations JasonW Barbecue 6 14-02-2004 01:40 AM