How to make stroganoff sauce?

Old 01-01-2004, 03:37 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

Default How to make stroganoff sauce?

Hi,

What does it take to make stroganoff sauce? I looked it up at
a couple of websites, and got the impression that it's pretty
much just flour and sour cream. Is that all it takes for it to be
considered stroganoff sauce?

Thanks!
David
Old 01-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Brian Macke
Usenet poster

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 15:37:51 +0000, dh_l wrote:

Hi,

What does it take to make stroganoff sauce? I looked it up at a couple
of websites, and got the impression that it's pretty much just flour and
sour cream. Is that all it takes for it to be considered stroganoff
sauce?

You'll also need wine in there as well. The last time I made stroganoff,
it involved browning the meat, reserving the fat, cooking the flavoring
vegetables, deglazing with wine, then adding everything back in. The sour
cream gets added right at the end.

David

--
-Brian James Macke
"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which

Old 01-01-2004, 08:51 PM
read and post daily!
Usenet poster

all i use when doing stroganoff is butter, sour cream, salt, pepper,
and nutmeg.

--
read and post daily, it works!
rosie

"Hell they won't lie to me/ Not on my own damn TV/ But how much is a
liar's word worth/ And whatever happened to peace on earth?"
.....................................Willie Nelson

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Hi,

What does it take to make stroganoff sauce? I looked it up at
a couple of websites, and got the impression that it's pretty
much just flour and sour cream. Is that all it takes for it to

be
considered stroganoff sauce?

Thanks!
David

My mother made an excellent Beef Stroganoff and her finishing

sauce is as
follows:

2-3 c. rich beef stock or consomme, which will gel when chilled; 1

tsp.
Worcestershire, 1/2 can of tomato paste, 3 Tbs. room temp-unsalted

butter
and just before removing from heat quickly stir in 1 c. cold sour

cream.

Jill

Old 02-01-2004, 01:39 AM
Kent H.
Usenet poster

The following is very close to what I do.

1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter and 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour;
combine to make BEURRE MANIE; I only do this as a last resort. I always
have roux on hand.
1-1.5 cups beef stock; add tomato paste or tomato sauce to taste; from
this make veloute sauce with 2 tb flour equivalent of roux/1.5 cups
sauce;
Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to saute pan; saute 1/2 cup thinly sliced
shallot and .5 lb cremini mushrooms, trimmed and halved.
Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste.
Add 1 (.75-lb) piece beef tenderloin, trimmed, sliced 1/4 inch thick,
then cut into 1-inch pieces; add to simmering veloute sauce for 30
seconds; add 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill; add 3 tablespoons sour
cream at room temperature;
Serve over patty shells. This will serve two.
It's incredibly easy. It only works with tenderloin, which is
disgustingly expensive at this moment.
Cheers,
Kent

Old 02-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Dimiri
Usenet poster

wrote in message
Hi,

What does it take to make stroganoff sauce? I looked it up at
a couple of websites, and got the impression that it's pretty
much just flour and sour cream. Is that all it takes for it to be
considered stroganoff sauce?

Thanks!
David

Not really, first there is no such thing as "Stroganoff Sauce". Beef
stroganoff is a recipe which first appeared in 1871 and is attributed to the
Baron Stroganoff and his French chef.

The recipe is simply fillet mignon, onions and mushrooms sautéed in butter
then deglazed with beef stock and sour cream added at the end. Some recipes
call for a little Dijon mustard as well as a small amount of tomato paste,
then thickened with a roux. Salt and pepper of course were also used.

So now you have the essential flavors of what you refer to a "Stroganoff
sauce" - Remember it is a recipe not a sauce that is places over something
else.

Dimitri

Old 03-01-2004, 12:56 AM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

Thanks to all of you for your recipes and input! What I'm
doing for an easy and tasty sauce that tastes like stroganoff
to me, is using about half a can of cream of mushroom soup
(Kroger brand), and almost as much sour cream (low fat, again
Kroper brand). I like it on potatoes cooked in a microwave.
It may not be a real stroganoff, but may be about as close
as what you get from Hamburger Helper :-)
Old 04-01-2004, 09:57 PM
Victor Sack
Usenet poster

wrote:

What does it take to make stroganoff sauce? I looked it up at
a couple of websites, and got the impression that it's pretty
much just flour and sour cream. Is that all it takes for it to be
considered stroganoff sauce?

Just substitute Alfredo sauce. There is no difference at all. None.

Victor
Old 04-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Steve Calvin
Usenet poster

Victor Sack wrote:

wrote:

What does it take to make stroganoff sauce? I looked it up at
a couple of websites, and got the impression that it's pretty
much just flour and sour cream. Is that all it takes for it to be
considered stroganoff sauce?

Just substitute Alfredo sauce. There is no difference at all. None.

Victor

You *are* kidding, right Victor?

--
Steve

Old 05-01-2004, 01:04 AM
Brian Macke
Usenet poster

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 15:43:59 -0800, Lynn Gifford wrote:

Ask around, honey, I didn't fall off no turnip truck yesterday.

Lynn from Fargo

Maybe not turnip trucks, but aren't there a lot of sugar beets up there?