FoodBanter.com

-   -   How to make stroganoff sauce? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/3260-how-make-stroganoff-sauce.html)

[email protected] 01-01-2004 04:37 PM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

Hi,

What does it take to make stroganoff sauce? I looked it up at
a couple of websites, and got the impression that it's pretty
much just flour and sour cream. Is that all it takes for it to be
considered stroganoff sauce?

Thanks!
David

Brian Macke 01-01-2004 05:49 PM

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 15:37:51 +0000, dh_l wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What does it take to make stroganoff sauce? I looked it up at a couple
> of websites, and got the impression that it's pretty much just flour and
> sour cream. Is that all it takes for it to be considered stroganoff
> sauce?

You'll also need wine in there as well. The last time I made stroganoff,
it involved browning the meat, reserving the fat, cooking the flavoring
vegetables, deglazing with wine, then adding everything back in. The sour
cream gets added right at the end.

--
-Brian James Macke
"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which

Lynn Gifford 01-01-2004 06:58 PM

wrote in message >. ..
> Hi,
>
> What does it take to make stroganoff sauce? I looked it up at
> a couple of websites, and got the impression that it's pretty
> much just flour and sour cream. Is that all it takes for it to be
> considered stroganoff sauce?
>
> Thanks!
> David

That's pretty much it. Beef, mushrooms, onions, sour cream, You can
get by without the flour if you don't mind a thinner sauce. I THINK
the only basic difference between Stroganov and Boeuf Bourguinone
(sp?) is the Bourguinone.
You can even make a pretty decent vegan Stroganov with portobellos,
tempeh and soy sour "cream".
Lynn from Fargo

jmcquown 01-01-2004 09:49 PM

wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What does it take to make stroganoff sauce? I looked it up at
> a couple of websites, and got the impression that it's pretty
> much just flour and sour cream. Is that all it takes for it to be
> considered stroganoff sauce?
>
> Thanks!
> David

My mother made an excellent Beef Stroganoff and her finishing sauce is as
follows:

2-3 c. rich beef stock or consomme, which will gel when chilled; 1 tsp.
Worcestershire, 1/2 can of tomato paste, 3 Tbs. room temp-unsalted butter
and just before removing from heat quickly stir in 1 c. cold sour cream.

Jill

read and post daily! 01-01-2004 09:51 PM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

all i use when doing stroganoff is butter, sour cream, salt, pepper,
and nutmeg.

--
read and post daily, it works!
rosie

"Hell they won't lie to me/ Not on my own damn TV/ But how much is a
liar's word worth/ And whatever happened to peace on earth?"
.....................................Willie Nelson

Kent H. 02-01-2004 02:39 AM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

The following is very close to what I do.

1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter and 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour;
combine to make BEURRE MANIE; I only do this as a last resort. I always
have roux on hand.
1-1.5 cups beef stock; add tomato paste or tomato sauce to taste; from
this make veloute sauce with 2 tb flour equivalent of roux/1.5 cups
sauce;
Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to saute pan; saute 1/2 cup thinly sliced
shallot and .5 lb cremini mushrooms, trimmed and halved.
Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste.
Add 1 (.75-lb) piece beef tenderloin, trimmed, sliced 1/4 inch thick,
then cut into 1-inch pieces; add to simmering veloute sauce for 30
seconds; add 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill; add 3 tablespoons sour
cream at room temperature;
Serve over patty shells. This will serve two.
It's incredibly easy. It only works with tenderloin, which is
disgustingly expensive at this moment.
Cheers,
Kent

Dimiri 02-01-2004 07:34 PM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> What does it take to make stroganoff sauce? I looked it up at
> a couple of websites, and got the impression that it's pretty
> much just flour and sour cream. Is that all it takes for it to be
> considered stroganoff sauce?
>
> Thanks!
> David

Not really, first there is no such thing as "Stroganoff Sauce". Beef
stroganoff is a recipe which first appeared in 1871 and is attributed to the
Baron Stroganoff and his French chef.

The recipe is simply fillet mignon, onions and mushrooms sautéed in butter
then deglazed with beef stock and sour cream added at the end. Some recipes
call for a little Dijon mustard as well as a small amount of tomato paste,
then thickened with a roux. Salt and pepper of course were also used.

So now you have the essential flavors of what you refer to a "Stroganoff
sauce" - Remember it is a recipe not a sauce that is places over something
else.

Dimitri

[email protected] 03-01-2004 01:56 AM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

Thanks to all of you for your recipes and input! What I'm
doing for an easy and tasty sauce that tastes like stroganoff
to me, is using about half a can of cream of mushroom soup
(Kroger brand), and almost as much sour cream (low fat, again
Kroper brand). I like it on potatoes cooked in a microwave.
It may not be a real stroganoff, but may be about as close
as what you get from Hamburger Helper :-)

Carmen Dioxide 04-01-2004 08:38 AM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

(Lynn Gifford) wrote >I THINK
> the only basic difference between Stroganov and Boeuf Bourguinone
> (sp?) is the Bourguinone.

You THINK incorrectly. Get a Julia Child cookbook, a basic french
regional cookbook or just Google.

Brian Macke 04-01-2004 08:47 PM

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 23:38:13 -0800, Carmen Dioxide wrote:

> (Lynn Gifford) wrote

>> I THINK the only basic difference between Stroganov and Boeuf
>> Bourguinone (sp?) is the Bourguinone.

> You THINK incorrectly. Get a Julia Child cookbook, a basic french
> regional cookbook or just Google.

You snark unfairly. Boeuf Bourguignon and Beef Stroganoff have many
similarities. Both tend to be served over egg noodles, both involve pan
frying the meet as the first step, both involve wine reductions, and both
share many of the same flavoring vegetables.

They differ based on basic preparation and fat contributors. Boeuf
Bourguignon, a braised dish, gets its fat (and flavor) from the varied
pork products. Beef Stroganoff, a sauteed dish, has less fat but has the
sour cream in the finishing sauce.

And, really, if you're going to get snooty to posters you should be
suggesting people read Larousse Gastronomique. It's going to be a bit more
authoritative than Julia Child.

Victor Sack 04-01-2004 10:57 PM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

> wrote:

> What does it take to make stroganoff sauce? I looked it up at
> a couple of websites, and got the impression that it's pretty
> much just flour and sour cream. Is that all it takes for it to be
> considered stroganoff sauce?

Just substitute Alfredo sauce. There is no difference at all. None.

Victor

Steve Calvin 04-01-2004 11:05 PM

Victor Sack wrote:

> > wrote:
>

>>What does it take to make stroganoff sauce? I looked it up at
>>a couple of websites, and got the impression that it's pretty
>>much just flour and sour cream. Is that all it takes for it to be
>>considered stroganoff sauce?

> Just substitute Alfredo sauce. There is no difference at all. None.
>
> Victor

You *are* kidding, right Victor?

--
Steve

Lynn Gifford 05-01-2004 12:43 AM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

(Carmen Dioxide) wrote in message . com>...

(Lynn Gifford) wrote >I THINK
> > the only basic difference between Stroganov and Boeuf Bourguinone
> > (sp?) is the Bourguinone.

> You THINK incorrectly. Get a Julia Child cookbook, a basic french
> regional cookbook or just Google.

Look, Turkey - I wrote THINK because, although my Stroganov is from a
good Russian cookbook, I haven't made Boeuf Bourguinone ofen enough to
have memorized the recipe.

FYI I own four Julia Child cookbooks (having bought the first one when
I was about 20) and I have perused the Gastronomique at length but
have not read it cover to cover.

Ask around, honey, I didn't fall off no turnip truck yesterday.

Lynn from Fargo
(where, contrary to popular belief, not all food is white)

hahabogus 05-01-2004 01:50 AM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

(Lynn Gifford) wrote in
om:

> Ask around, honey, I didn't fall off no turnip truck yesterday.

Yeah!!! What she Said!!! It was a beet truck.

--
And the beet goes on! (or under)
-me just a while ago

Brian Macke 05-01-2004 02:04 AM

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 15:43:59 -0800, Lynn Gifford wrote:

> Ask around, honey, I didn't fall off no turnip truck yesterday.

> Lynn from Fargo

Maybe not turnip trucks, but aren't there a lot of sugar beets up there? :)

Carmen Dioxide 05-01-2004 03:54 AM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

(Lynn Gifford) wrote > Ask around, honey, I didn't
fall off >no turnip truck yesterday.

I'll alert the media..

Kent H. 05-01-2004 05:28 AM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

Your head, or functional cerebral mass, is residing in an unusual
orifice, in a fashion that would generally be felt to be anatomically
not possible.

Jerry Avins 05-01-2004 06:20 AM

Victor Sack wrote:

> > wrote:
>

>>What does it take to make stroganoff sauce? I looked it up at
>>a couple of websites, and got the impression that it's pretty
>>much just flour and sour cream. Is that all it takes for it to be
>>considered stroganoff sauce?

> Just substitute Alfredo sauce. There is no difference at all. None.
>
> Victor

Cut that out! It's not nice to tease people with plausible absurdities.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

modom 05-01-2004 08:15 AM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 22:57:16 +0100, (Victor
Sack) wrote:

> wrote:
>
>> What does it take to make stroganoff sauce? I looked it up at
>> a couple of websites, and got the impression that it's pretty
>> much just flour and sour cream. Is that all it takes for it to be
>> considered stroganoff sauce?

>Just substitute Alfredo sauce. There is no difference at all. None.
>
>Victor

Chili, too. I swear it's true.

Oh! and let's not forget curry!

modom

Wayne Boatwright 05-01-2004 08:25 AM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

modom > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 22:57:16 +0100, (Victor
> Sack) wrote:
>
> wrote:
>>
>>> What does it take to make stroganoff sauce? I looked it up at
>>> a couple of websites, and got the impression that it's pretty
>>> much just flour and sour cream. Is that all it takes for it to be
>>> considered stroganoff sauce?

>>Just substitute Alfredo sauce. There is no difference at all. None.
>>
>>Victor

> Chili, too. I swear it's true.
>
> Oh! and let's not forget curry!
>
> modom

Yes, I understand that you can substitute Alfredo sauce for just about
anything! I can't imagine a dessert sauce without it. <G>

Wayne

Rhonda Anderson 05-01-2004 10:36 AM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

(Victor Sack) wrote in news:1g727md.ng6hazbrm6jqN%
:

> > wrote:
>
>> What does it take to make stroganoff sauce? I looked it up at
>> a couple of websites, and got the impression that it's pretty
>> much just flour and sour cream. Is that all it takes for it to be
>> considered stroganoff sauce?

> Just substitute Alfredo sauce. There is no difference at all. None.

<g> Alfredo Sauce. There is no Alfredo Sauce...

Nice to see a variation on the Alfredo discussion. Anyone up for a bet on
how many people get upset by Victor's post because Alfredo sauce is
different to Stroganoff <vbg>

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Charles Gifford 05-01-2004 12:19 PM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

"Lynn Gifford" > wrote in message
om...

> Lynn from Fargo
> (where, contrary to popular belief, not all food is white)

Nope, but it is darn COLD food! A high of -6F today?

Charlie, freezing at the thought of it

Charles Gifford 05-01-2004 12:21 PM

"modom" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 22:57:16 +0100, (Victor
> Sack) wrote:
>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> What does it take to make stroganoff sauce? I looked it up at
> >> a couple of websites, and got the impression that it's pretty
> >> much just flour and sour cream. Is that all it takes for it to be
> >> considered stroganoff sauce?

> >Just substitute Alfredo sauce. There is no difference at all. None.
> >
> >Victor

> Chili, too. I swear it's true.
>
> Oh! and let's not forget curry!
>
> modom

Correct! And, if you chill it, you have Caesar dressing!

Charlie

BOB 05-01-2004 05:10 PM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

Rhonda Anderson typed:
> (Victor Sack) wrote in news:1g727md.ng6hazbrm6jqN%

:

>> > wrote:
>>
>>> What does it take to make stroganoff sauce? I looked it up at
>>> a couple of websites, and got the impression that it's pretty
>>> much just flour and sour cream. Is that all it takes for it to be
>>> considered stroganoff sauce?

>> Just substitute Alfredo sauce. There is no difference at all. None.
>>

> <g> Alfredo Sauce. There is no Alfredo Sauce...
>
> Nice to see a variation on the Alfredo discussion. Anyone up for a bet on
> how many people get upset by Victor's post because Alfredo sauce is
> different to Stroganoff <vbg>

I've already got out the lawn chairs and am mixing the drinks while I type.
The snack food is on it's way (with and without Alfredo Sauce, some used in
the Stroganoff). Here, have a drink and grab a chair...

Estate Garden & Rental Corporation 06-01-2004 08:06 PM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

It is and required if they are the likes of the sw> or the Rangers. Hee hee
hee
firefly end of line

Harry Demidavicius 07-01-2004 01:19 AM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 11:19:14 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>"Lynn Gifford" > wrote in message
. com...

>> Lynn from Fargo
>> (where, contrary to popular belief, not all food is white)

>Nope, but it is darn COLD food! A high of -6F today?
>
>Charlie, freezing at the thought of it

You Pussy! ;0)

Harry

Harry Demidavicius 07-01-2004 01:30 AM

Sack) wrote:

> wrote:
>
>> What does it take to make stroganoff sauce? I looked it up at
>> a couple of websites, and got the impression that it's pretty
>> much just flour and sour cream. Is that all it takes for it to be
>> considered stroganoff sauce?

>Just substitute Alfredo sauce. There is no difference at all. None.
>
>Victor

None whatsoever. Right.

Harry

Charles Gifford 07-01-2004 10:59 AM

"Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 11:19:14 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Lynn Gifford" > wrote in message
> . com...
> >>
> >> Lynn from Fargo
> >> (where, contrary to popular belief, not all food is white)

> >Nope, but it is darn COLD food! A high of -6F today?
> >
> >Charlie, freezing at the thought of it
> >

> You Pussy! ;0)
>
> Harry

Guilty! Wimp too! We did have a cold snap this last weekend. It got down
into the high 30sF in my backyard a couple of nights. Days have been better
at about 70F. Still cold, but better. Looks like it will be warming up for
the rest of the week. No like cold!

Charlie

Harry Demidavicius 08-01-2004 05:48 AM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 09:59:27 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>"Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 11:19:14 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >"Lynn Gifford" > wrote in message
>> . com...

>> >Nope, but it is darn COLD food! A high of -6F today?
>> >
>> >Charlie, freezing at the thought of it
>> >

>> You Pussy! ;0)
>>
>> Harry

>Guilty! Wimp too! We did have a cold snap this last weekend. It got down
>into the high 30sF in my backyard a couple of nights. Days have been better
>at about 70F. Still cold, but better. Looks like it will be warming up for
>the rest of the week. No like cold!
>
>Charlie

Actually 30ies F in Sandy Eggo must be bloody brutal, Charliam. I'd
much rather have serious freezing in Calgary - at least we're set up
for it. Incoming Chinook will put us into sweater Weather. I'll need
to stock up on windscreen wiper fluid. Pork Butt on the K on Friday.
[Yeay!]

Harry

BOB 08-01-2004 07:28 AM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

Harry Demidavicius typed:
> On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 09:59:27 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Harry Demidavicius" > wrote in message
>>> On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 11:19:14 GMT, "Charles Gifford"

>>> You Pussy! ;0)
>>>
>>> Harry

>> Guilty! Wimp too! We did have a cold snap this last weekend. It got down
>> into the high 30sF in my backyard a couple of nights. Days have been

better
>> at about 70F. Still cold, but better. Looks like it will be warming up for
>> the rest of the week. No like cold!
>>
>> Charlie
>>

> Actually 30ies F in Sandy Eggo must be bloody brutal, Charliam. I'd
> much rather have serious freezing in Calgary - at least we're set up
> for it. Incoming Chinook will put us into sweater Weather. I'll need
> to stock up on windscreen wiper fluid. Pork Butt on the K on Friday.
> [Yeay!]
>
> Harry

*TWO* pork butts in the K right now and it's 42F here in the "Sunshine" state
at the moment.

Just north of here where we were on New Years Day (in shorts and T-shirts) is
supposed to get down to real ice tonight.

BOB

BOB 08-01-2004 07:28 AM

BOB 08-01-2004 07:28 AM

Harry Demidavicius 09-01-2004 03:23 AM

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 01:28:25 -0500, " BOB" > wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius typed:
>> On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 09:59:27 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
>> > wrote:

>>> Guilty! Wimp too! We did have a cold snap this last weekend. It got down
>>> into the high 30sF in my backyard a couple of nights. Days have been

>better
>>> at about 70F. Still cold, but better. Looks like it will be warming up for
>>> the rest of the week. No like cold!
>>>
>>> Charlie
>>>

>> Actually 30ies F in Sandy Eggo must be bloody brutal, Charliam. I'd
>> much rather have serious freezing in Calgary - at least we're set up
>> for it. Incoming Chinook will put us into sweater Weather. I'll need
>> to stock up on windscreen wiper fluid. Pork Butt on the K on Friday.
>> [Yeay!]
>>
>> Harry

>*TWO* pork butts in the K right now and it's 42F here in the "Sunshine" state
>at the moment.
>
>Just north of here where we were on New Years Day (in shorts and T-shirts) is
>supposed to get down to real ice tonight.
>
>BOB

Keerist! - I hope you have a lot of rum on hand, BOB. We were warmer
than you today. I was going to make that Red Eye Butt again, but
wheeled off at the last moment in favour of just rubbing because this
puppy has a nice fat cap.

Harry

BOB 09-01-2004 05:04 AM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

Harry Demidavicius typed:
> On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 01:28:25 -0500, " BOB"wrote:
>
>> Harry Demidavicius typed:
>>> On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 09:59:27 GMT, "Charles Gifford"

better

for

>>> Actually 30ies F in Sandy Eggo must be bloody brutal, Charliam. I'd
>>> much rather have serious freezing in Calgary - at least we're set up
>>> for it. Incoming Chinook will put us into sweater Weather. I'll need
>>> to stock up on windscreen wiper fluid. Pork Butt on the K on Friday.
>>> [Yeay!]
>>>
>>> Harry

>> *TWO* pork butts in the K right now and it's 42F here in the "Sunshine"

state
>> at the moment.
>>
>> Just north of here where we were on New Years Day (in shorts and T-shirts)

is
>> supposed to get down to real ice tonight.
>>
>> BOB
>>

> Keerist! - I hope you have a lot of rum on hand, BOB. We were warmer
> than you today. I was going to make that Red Eye Butt again, but
> wheeled off at the last moment in favour of just rubbing because this
> puppy has a nice fat cap.
>
> Harry

The rum is now gone. You keep telling me of days when "Ice Station Calgary"
is wamer than the south. That 42 was at about 1:30 AM and the pulled pork
was fan-tas-tic. Some is frozen in foodsaver bags for individual meals later
on.

BOB
who thinks Harry passed on the red eye in order to rub a butt

Harry Demidavicius 10-01-2004 09:18 PM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 23:04:51 -0500, " BOB" >
wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius typed:
>> On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 01:28:25 -0500, " BOB"wrote:
>>
>>> Harry Demidavicius typed:

>better

>for

>>> *TWO* pork butts in the K right now and it's 42F here in the "Sunshine"

>state
>>> at the moment.
>>>
>>> Just north of here where we were on New Years Day (in shorts and T-shirts)

>is
>>> supposed to get down to real ice tonight.
>>>
>>> BOB
>>>

>> Keerist! - I hope you have a lot of rum on hand, BOB. We were warmer
>> than you today. I was going to make that Red Eye Butt again, but
>> wheeled off at the last moment in favour of just rubbing because this
>> puppy has a nice fat cap.
>>
>> Harry

>The rum is now gone. You keep telling me of days when "Ice Station Calgary"
>is wamer than the south. That 42 was at about 1:30 AM and the pulled pork
>was fan-tas-tic. Some is frozen in foodsaver bags for individual meals later
>on.
>
>BOB
>who thinks Harry passed on the red eye in order to rub a butt

I did [pass on the Red-Eye]. It's on the go right now - about 7 hours
into it. Using the baby K for a change.

The Ice Station part has moved into Ontario and such. We're in the
low 50ies at present.

Harry

[email protected] 15-01-2004 01:43 AM

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 00:20:34 -0500, Jerry Avins > wrote:

>Victor Sack wrote:
>
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>What does it take to make stroganoff sauce? I looked it up at
>>>a couple of websites, and got the impression that it's pretty
>>>much just flour and sour cream. Is that all it takes for it to be
>>>considered stroganoff sauce?

>> Just substitute Alfredo sauce. There is no difference at all. None.
>>
>> Victor

>Cut that out! It's not nice to tease people with plausible absurdities.
>
>Jerry

Well, so far it still seems to me that all it takes to make stroganoff
is flour, water and sour cream. If a person uses Alfredo sauce instead
of flour and water, and adds the sour cream, what's the difference?

Jerry Avins 15-01-2004 03:14 AM

wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 00:20:34 -0500, Jerry Avins > wrote:
>

>>Victor Sack wrote:

>>>Just substitute Alfredo sauce. There is no difference at all. None.
>>>
>>>Victor

>>Cut that out! It's not nice to tease people with plausible absurdities.
>>
>>Jerry

> Well, so far it still seems to me that all it takes to make stroganoff
> is flour, water and sour cream. If a person uses Alfredo sauce instead
> of flour and water, and adds the sour cream, what's the difference?

To begin with, there's no such thing as real Alfredo sauce. To make
fettuccini Alfredo, you reserve some of the cooking water, thoroughly
drench the cooked pasta in butter (it helps to have the butter room
temperature), mix in raw egg yolk -- the pasta's heat cooks it -- and
add a little heavy cream. If you do it right, it comes out a little too
thick: that's what you saved the cooking water for. Then you stir in
freshly grated Parmesan cheese (soft, not too close to the rind) and
bring it to the table not more than two minutes after it was drained.
Serve with more grated Parmesan at the table.

Added to that, even the fake "Alfredo sauce" that comes in bottles isn't
flour and water, so even that's different.

The Ranger 15-01-2004 04:48 AM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

Steve Wertz > replied in message
to replied to housefly
> wrote:
> >It is and required if they are the likes of the sw> or the Rangers.
> >

> Glad we made such a lasting impression on you. Kook.
>
> Sheesh, you ignore this guy for 3-4 months and he's *still*
> talking about ya.
>
> What a moroon.

House Fly's living proof why cousins shouldn't marry. Is he still posting
those salt-lick-based "recipes?"

The Ranger

Sheryl Rosen 15-01-2004 05:06 AM

How to make stroganoff sauce?

in article , at
wrote on 1/14/04 7:43 PM:

>>> Just substitute Alfredo sauce. There is no difference at all. None.
>>>
>>> Victor

>> Cut that out! It's not nice to tease people with plausible absurdities.
>>
>> Jerry

> Well, so far it still seems to me that all it takes to make stroganoff
> is flour, water and sour cream. If a person uses Alfredo sauce instead
> of flour and water, and adds the sour cream, what's the difference?

Alfredo "sauce" is just butter and parmagiano cheese.
Butter is not flour. Parmagiano cheese is not flour.
The two together are not the same as flour.
That's the difference.

Even if you consider alfredo sauce to be butter, cream and the parm cheese,
it's still not the same as flour and water.

That's the difference.

cristina 15-01-2004 05:49 AM

Jerry Avins wrote:
> wrote:
>>
>> Well, so far it still seems to me that all it takes to make
>> stroganoff is flour, water and sour cream. If a person uses Alfredo
>> sauce instead
>> of flour and water, and adds the sour cream, what's the difference?

> To begin with, there's no such thing as real Alfredo sauce. To make
> fettuccini Alfredo, you reserve some of the cooking water, thoroughly
> drench the cooked pasta in butter (it helps to have the butter room
> temperature), mix in raw egg yolk -- the pasta's heat cooks it -- and
> add a little heavy cream. If you do it right, it comes out a little
> too thick: that's what you saved the cooking water for. Then you stir
> in freshly grated Parmesan cheese (soft, not too close to the rind)
> and
> bring it to the table not more than two minutes after it was drained.
> Serve with more grated Parmesan at the table.

um Jerry, no egg, no cream. Just butter, parm and a little pasta water.

Cristina

Info on Moving to Italy and Driving in Italy
http://www.cristinasweb.com