Cooking prime rib, with turning oven off to cook

Old 31-12-2003, 11:57 PM
Over40pirate
Usenet poster

Default Cooking prime rib, with turning oven off to cook

I am looking for a recipe for cooking prime rib, by pre heating the oven to
something like 500 deg, then putting the prime rib in, and turning the oven
off, for a set length of time. I saw the recipe for this, but can't remember
the times, and temp. Any help here?
Thanks to all and have a happy new year, Kathy
Old 01-01-2004, 12:02 AM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

Why would you eat something that is directly related to Mad-Cow disease.
Wouldn't you rather just use a gun it would be much faster.

Old 01-01-2004, 12:09 AM
Seattlejo
Usenet poster

Over40pirate wrote:
I am looking for a recipe for cooking prime rib, by pre heating the oven to
something like 500 deg, then putting the prime rib in, and turning the oven
off, for a set length of time. I saw the recipe for this, but can't remember
the times, and temp. Any help here?
Thanks to all and have a happy new year, Kathy

Google is your friend . I ran across this recipe many times when
planning my beef roast for Christmas. Still not sure how i feel about
leaving the oven off for so long, and leaving the roast out at room
temperature for an hour.
-Seattlejo

http://www.finedinings.com/prime_rib_of_beef.htm

Prime Rib Roast, at room temperature (very important)
Dijon mustard
Fresh thyme
Fresh garlic cloves, minced
Kosher salt
Freshly cracked black pepper
Au Jus (**recipe below)
Horseradish sauce

The rib roast, bone side down, starting at the tail or narrow end, make
a flap by cutting the fat strip on top of the meat, going toward the
thicker part, as far as you can without severing it. Lay the fat strip
back, and set aside.

Mix Dijon, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Spread this
mixture on the meat underneath the flap which you just made. Replace the
flap and use kitchen string to loosely wrap the meat to keep the flap in
place as it roasts, otherwise the flap will curl up. Place roast in oven
in a shallow roasting pan.

Make sure your roast is at room temperature before you place it in the
oven, otherwise you will have an uncooked roast at the end of the
cooking cycle.

Set the oven temperature at 500 degrees F.
Multiply the roast poundage on the package times 5 minutes to determine
the amount of time the meat will roast at 500 degrees F. Be as
accurate as possible! example: if your roast weighs 5.53 pounds, then
multiply 5.53 (pounds) times 5 (minutes) which equals = 27.65. This
means you will roast your meat for (27.65) or 28 minutes. At the end of
the 28 minutes, turn the oven temperature off. Leave the roast in the
oven for at least 2 hours.

During this 2 hour time, do not open the oven door as the meat is still
cooking.

This method will produce a perfect prime rib, guaranteed, every time, if
you follow the instructions carefully.

Prepare au jus, recipe follows. Place a thick slice of prime rib on each
plate. Use two small containers, one for horse radish sauce and the
other for au jus for dipping and serve.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:26 AM
Curt Nelson
Usenet poster

I still fail to understand why anyone would cook a standing rib roast with
any method other than simply measuring the internal temperature.

There really isn't a need (that I can see) to use esoteric calculations when
all you need to do is stick a thermometer in it.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Old 01-01-2004, 12:36 AM
Rusty
Usenet poster

Seattlejo wrote:
Over40pirate wrote:

[...]

My sister swore by a recipe similar to this. I couldn't get the nerve
to try it. I think it was popular in the 60's or 70's, which lets you
know my age. It must have the bones to absorb the heat and then "roast"
the meat or something like that. Rusty

Old 01-01-2004, 01:45 AM
jmcquown
Usenet poster

Over40pirate wrote:
I am looking for a recipe for cooking prime rib, by pre heating the
oven to something like 500 deg, then putting the prime rib in, and
turning the oven off, for a set length of time. I saw the recipe for
this, but can't remember the times, and temp. Any help here?
Thanks to all and have a happy new year, Kathy

That's the way I usually prepare my (bone in) prime rib. Preheat oven to
500F. Stud the roast with garlic, sprinkle well with black pepper and a
little salt. I also pat on a small amount of thyme on it. Pop it in a
roasting pan and into the oven. Turn down the heat to 375F and roast for
one hour. Turn the oven off and don't open the door. Let it sit in the hot
oven for 2 hours. Turn it back on at 375F and roast about 40 minutes.
Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before slicing. The roast comes
out graduated from nearly well done on the ends to medium-rare in the
middle.

Jill

Old 01-01-2004, 03:17 AM
Sam D.
Usenet poster

"Over40pirate" wrote in message
I am looking for a recipe for cooking prime rib, by pre heating the oven

something like 500 deg, then putting the prime rib in, and turning the

oven
off, for a set length of time. I saw the recipe for this, but can't

remember
the times, and temp. Any help here?
Thanks to all and have a happy new year, Kathy

Details for this can be found he
http://www.melindalee.com/recipearch...124&item_id=93

Old 01-01-2004, 10:20 AM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

No just have a few questions. There won't be any need for Cardiology soon.

Bob Pastorio wrote:

wrote:

Why would you eat something that is directly related to Mad-Cow disease.
Wouldn't you rather just use a gun it would be much faster.

Tired of trolling in sci.med.cardiology already? Or are you branching out?

Pastorio

Old 01-01-2004, 01:26 PM
pavane
Usenet poster

"Curt Nelson" wrote in message
I still fail to understand why anyone would cook a standing rib roast with
any method other than simply measuring the internal temperature.

There really isn't a need (that I can see) to use esoteric calculations

when
all you need to do is stick a thermometer in it.

Because the slower methods turn out variably-done meat,
from well done on the outsides and edges to more rare on
the inside.

The high temp method (500 degree oven, 5 minutes
per pound) yields a uniformly medium rare roast from about
one-quarter inch inside the edges to the center. That's why.

pavane

Old 01-01-2004, 02:58 PM
Dimiri
Usenet poster

wrote in message
hlink.net...
Why would you eat something that is directly related to Mad-Cow disease.
Wouldn't you rather just use a gun it would be much faster.

Very helpful advise.

I would suggest you try it on yourself first.

Dimitri

Old 01-01-2004, 03:00 PM
read and post daily!
Usenet poster

PLONK

--
read and post daily, it works!
rosie

as I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch
what they do.

hlink.net...