Over40pirate

Default Cooking prime rib, with turning oven off to cook

I am looking for a recipe for cooking prime rib, by pre heating the oven to
something like 500 deg, then putting the prime rib in, and turning the oven
off, for a set length of time. I saw the recipe for this, but can't remember
the times, and temp. Any help here?
Thanks to all and have a happy new year, Kathy

Why would you eat something that is directly related to Mad-Cow disease.
Wouldn't you rather just use a gun it would be much faster.

Over40pirate wrote:

> I am looking for a recipe for cooking prime rib, by pre heating the oven to
> something like 500 deg, then putting the prime rib in, and turning the oven
> off, for a set length of time. I saw the recipe for this, but can't remember
> the times, and temp. Any help here?
> Thanks to all and have a happy new year, Kathy

Seattlejo

Over40pirate wrote:
> I am looking for a recipe for cooking prime rib, by pre heating the oven to
> something like 500 deg, then putting the prime rib in, and turning the oven
> off, for a set length of time. I saw the recipe for this, but can't remember
> the times, and temp. Any help here?
> Thanks to all and have a happy new year, Kathy

Google is your friend . I ran across this recipe many times when
planning my beef roast for Christmas. Still not sure how i feel about
leaving the oven off for so long, and leaving the roast out at room
temperature for an hour.
-Seattlejo

http://www.finedinings.com/prime_rib_of_beef.htm

Prime Rib Roast, at room temperature (very important)
Dijon mustard
Fresh thyme
Fresh garlic cloves, minced
Kosher salt
Freshly cracked black pepper
Au Jus (**recipe below)
Horseradish sauce

The rib roast, bone side down, starting at the tail or narrow end, make
a flap by cutting the fat strip on top of the meat, going toward the
thicker part, as far as you can without severing it. Lay the fat strip
back, and set aside.

Mix Dijon, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Spread this
mixture on the meat underneath the flap which you just made. Replace the
flap and use kitchen string to loosely wrap the meat to keep the flap in
place as it roasts, otherwise the flap will curl up. Place roast in oven
in a shallow roasting pan.

Make sure your roast is at room temperature before you place it in the
oven, otherwise you will have an uncooked roast at the end of the
cooking cycle.

Set the oven temperature at 500° degrees F.
Multiply the roast poundage on the package times 5 minutes to determine
the amount of time the meat will roast at 500° degrees F. Be as
accurate as possible! example: if your roast weighs 5.53 pounds, then
multiply 5.53 (pounds) times 5 (minutes) which equals = 27.65. This
means you will roast your meat for (27.65) or 28 minutes. At the end of
the 28 minutes, turn the oven temperature off. Leave the roast in the
oven for at least 2 hours.

During this 2 hour time, do not open the oven door as the meat is still
cooking.

This method will produce a perfect prime rib, guaranteed, every time, if
you follow the instructions carefully.

Prepare au jus, recipe follows. Place a thick slice of prime rib on each
plate. Use two small containers, one for horse radish sauce and the
other for au jus for dipping and serve.
Curt Nelson

I still fail to understand why anyone would cook a standing rib roast with
any method other than simply measuring the internal temperature.

There really isn't a need (that I can see) to use esoteric calculations when
all you need to do is stick a thermometer in it.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Rusty

Seattlejo wrote:
> Over40pirate wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a recipe for cooking prime rib, by pre heating the
>> oven to
>> something like 500 deg, then putting the prime rib in, and turning the
>> oven
>> off, for a set length of time. I saw the recipe for this, but can't
>> remember
>> the times, and temp. Any help here?
>> Thanks to all and have a happy new year, Kathy

> Google is your friend . I ran across this recipe many times when
> planning my beef roast for Christmas. Still not sure how i feel about
> leaving the oven off for so long, and leaving the roast out at room
> temperature for an hour.
> -Seattlejo
>
> http://www.finedinings.com/prime_rib_of_beef.htm
>
> Prime Rib Roast, at room temperature (very important)
> Dijon mustard
> Fresh thyme
> Fresh garlic cloves, minced
> Kosher salt
> Freshly cracked black pepper
> Au Jus (**recipe below)
> Horseradish sauce
>
> The rib roast, bone side down, starting at the tail or narrow end, make
> a flap by cutting the fat strip on top of the meat, going toward the
> thicker part, as far as you can without severing it. Lay the fat strip
> back, and set aside.
>
> Mix Dijon, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Spread this
> mixture on the meat underneath the flap which you just made. Replace the
> flap and use kitchen string to loosely wrap the meat to keep the flap in
> place as it roasts, otherwise the flap will curl up. Place roast in oven
> in a shallow roasting pan.
>
> Make sure your roast is at room temperature before you place it in the
> oven, otherwise you will have an uncooked roast at the end of the
> cooking cycle.
>
> Set the oven temperature at 500° degrees F.
> Multiply the roast poundage on the package times 5 minutes to determine
> the amount of time the meat will roast at 500° degrees F. Be as
> accurate as possible! example: if your roast weighs 5.53 pounds, then
> multiply 5.53 (pounds) times 5 (minutes) which equals = 27.65. This
> means you will roast your meat for (27.65) or 28 minutes. At the end of
> the 28 minutes, turn the oven temperature off. Leave the roast in the
> oven for at least 2 hours.
>
> During this 2 hour time, do not open the oven door as the meat is still
> cooking.
>
> This method will produce a perfect prime rib, guaranteed, every time, if
> you follow the instructions carefully.
>
> Prepare au jus, recipe follows. Place a thick slice of prime rib on each
> plate. Use two small containers, one for horse radish sauce and the
> other for au jus for dipping and serve.

My sister swore by a recipe similar to this. I couldn't get the nerve
to try it. I think it was popular in the 60's or 70's, which lets you
know my age. It must have the bones to absorb the heat and then "roast"
the meat or something like that. Rusty

jmcquown

Over40pirate wrote:
> I am looking for a recipe for cooking prime rib, by pre heating the
> oven to something like 500 deg, then putting the prime rib in, and
> turning the oven off, for a set length of time. I saw the recipe for
> this, but can't remember the times, and temp. Any help here?
> Thanks to all and have a happy new year, Kathy

jmcquown

Over40pirate wrote:
> I am looking for a recipe for cooking prime rib, by pre heating the
> oven to something like 500 deg, then putting the prime rib in, and
> turning the oven off, for a set length of time. I saw the recipe for
> this, but can't remember the times, and temp. Any help here?
> Thanks to all and have a happy new year, Kathy

That's the way I usually prepare my (bone in) prime rib. Preheat oven to
500F. Stud the roast with garlic, sprinkle well with black pepper and a
little salt. I also pat on a small amount of thyme on it. Pop it in a
roasting pan and into the oven. Turn down the heat to 375F and roast for
one hour. Turn the oven off and don't open the door. Let it sit in the hot
oven for 2 hours. Turn it back on at 375F and roast about 40 minutes.
Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before slicing. The roast comes
out graduated from nearly well done on the ends to medium-rare in the
middle.

Jill

Sam D.

"Over40pirate" > wrote in message
> I am looking for a recipe for cooking prime rib, by pre heating the oven

> something like 500 deg, then putting the prime rib in, and turning the

oven
> off, for a set length of time. I saw the recipe for this, but can't

remember
> the times, and temp. Any help here?
> Thanks to all and have a happy new year, Kathy

Details for this can be found he
http://www.melindalee.com/recipearch...124&item_id=93

pavane

"Curt Nelson" > wrote in message
> I still fail to understand why anyone would cook a standing rib roast with
> any method other than simply measuring the internal temperature.
>
> There really isn't a need (that I can see) to use esoteric calculations

when
> all you need to do is stick a thermometer in it.

Because the slower methods turn out variably-done meat,
from well done on the outsides and edges to more rare on
the inside.

The high temp method (500 degree oven, 5 minutes
per pound) yields a uniformly medium rare roast from about
one-quarter inch inside the edges to the center. That's why.

pavane

Dimiri

> wrote in message
hlink.net...
> Why would you eat something that is directly related to Mad-Cow disease.
> Wouldn't you rather just use a gun it would be much faster.

Very helpful advise.

I would suggest you try it on yourself first.

Dimitri

Bill

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 06:26:14 -0600, "jmcquown" >

>> No just have a few questions. There won't be any need for Cardiology
>> soon.
>>

>You don't have questions, you spout vegetarian platitudes upon which you are
>hanging the beef scare hat. I know one way to make you go away. Killfile.
>
>Jill

Jill, have you been reading the news this week? Do you realize that it
will put your life at risk to eat meat that is taken from a portion of
a mad cow disease infected beef carcass located close to the brain or
the backbone? This dangerous area includes t-bone and porterhouse
steaks. It wouldn't be a brillant idea for anybody to be eating ground
meat products until the government and the beef industry become less
greedy and admit there are problems to deal with! If you happen to get
some meat with the mad cow disease in it, you can boil the meat for
hours without killing this disease! Do you want to put your family at
risk? This has nothing to do with someone who prefers the vegan eating
style. Anyone who intentionally eats mad cow tainted meat is a fool.

Consumer Reports has been pleading with the government to put more
tests into place at the slaughter houses to detect this disease but
they can't seem to get the beef industry lobbyist's who seem to be in
charge of the USDA to listen to them?

You only have one life! I love to eat beef myself but I am not going
to intentionally try to get a fatal illness for the sake of saving the
profits on some tainted meat.

Regards,
Bill

modom

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 06:26:14 -0600, "jmcquown" >

>> No just have a few questions. There won't be any need for Cardiology
>> soon.
>>

>You don't have questions, you spout vegetarian platitudes upon which you are
>hanging the beef scare hat. I know one way to make you go away. Killfile.

Ah yes, the old beef scare hat routine, I might have known.

modom
Bill

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 14:39:23 -0600, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Bill, haven't you been reading I'm already deathly ill? At any rate I'm
>already eating mad chickens, or at least soup made thereof, and ****ed off
>pork, or at least bacon or sausage from said ****ed off pork. I'm getting
>to the sick seafood later in the week.
>
>Jill

Oh, I see...my wife has those times also! :-)

This morning when she told me she had bought hamburger on sale at the
grocery store and hot dogs that were on sale I said duh...you know why
they are on sale? Then she got ****ed off and asked me why I was
woofing down the sausage she had just cooked if I was worked about
catch a disease...then I explained to her again it's a mad cow not a
mad pig disease! Oh well, now I will shut up and go eat some oatmeal
to reduce my overall cholesteral from eating sausage.

Bill

I believe in gun control and don't purchase or have firearms of anykind
nor do my friends or family.
I was just suggestion this as a solution for thouse such as yourself who
like carnage.

Dimiri wrote:

> > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
>
>>Why would you eat something that is directly related to Mad-Cow disease.
>>Wouldn't you rather just use a gun it would be much faster.

> Very helpful advise.
>
> I would suggest you try it on yourself first.
>
> Dimitri

Bob Pastorio

Bill wrote:

> You only have one life! I love to eat beef myself but I am not going
> to intentionally try to get a fatal illness for the sake of saving the
> profits on some tainted meat.

Well, who can resist such cleanly reasoned thinking?

Pastorio

jmcquown

Bill wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 14:39:23 -0600, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> Bill, haven't you been reading I'm already deathly ill? At any rate
>> I'm already eating mad chickens, or at least soup made thereof, and
>> ****ed off pork, or at least bacon or sausage from said ****ed off
>> pork. I'm getting to the sick seafood later in the week.
>>
>> Jill

> Oh, I see...my wife has those times also! :-)

Heheh, no, you don't see Happy New Year!

Bob Pastorio

pavane wrote:

> "Curt Nelson" > wrote in message
>
>>I still fail to understand why anyone would cook a standing rib roast with
>>any method other than simply measuring the internal temperature.

There are several variables that will affect the finished result that
just measuring the temp won't address. If the meat went in very cold,
it will take a longer time for the center to get to temp. That means
that the outside will be more cooked than if the meat were warmer to
begin with. If the meat is cooked at a low temperature, the outside
will be less cooked and more moist when the center is to temp. Cooking
the meat at high temp means that the outside will be more cooked and
more of the juices in the center will migrate to the surface and end
up evaporating from the surface with the excess dripping into the pan.

>>There really isn't a need (that I can see) to use esoteric calculations
>> when all you need to do is stick a thermometer in it.

I agree about the esoteric calculations, but not about *just* relying
on the thermometer without taking into account anything else.

> Because the slower methods turn out variably-done meat,
> from well done on the outsides and edges to more rare on
> the inside.
>
> The high temp method (500 degree oven, 5 minutes
> per pound) yields a uniformly medium rare roast from about
> one-quarter inch inside the edges to the center. That's why.

Well, sorta. Slow-cook methods will provide that medium-rare roast as
well with rather a greater yield. Medium-rare is defined as having a
browned outside and a cool red center. Medium is brown outside and
warm pink center.

In my restaurants, we roasted in convection and conventional ovens as
well as roaster-holders. We tested a wide variety of temperature
combinations beginning with the temp of the meat going in and fixed as
well as varying temperatures during the cook.

We found the best results (pretty much what you describe above) coming
from a consistent low temp roast, varying with the ovens used. We
cooked at 220F in the roaster-holders to a center temp of 120F (rare)
and switched to 142F to hold and finish over several hours.
Conventional ovens were set to different temps depending on whether we
used a 109 (bone-in) or 112 (boneless) rib. We cooked between 220 and
250 to 120 center. Convections were set to 205.

We tried to let our ribs sit at room temp for 2 hours before cooking,
but that wasn't always possible. Of all the methods we tested, the
constant low-temp gave us the best yield; a much higher ratio of
finished to raw material and the least pan juice. Both of those
indices mean that more moisture remains in the meat.

Pastorio

Dimiri

> wrote in message
link.net...
> I believe in gun control and don't purchase or have firearms of anykind
> nor do my friends or family.
> I was just suggestion this as a solution for thouse such as yourself who
> like carnage.

It figures......

ROTFLMAO!

Dimitri

Doug Weller

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 17:42:06 -0600, Alan wrote:

> On 31 Dec 2003 22:57:13 GMT, ospam (Over40pirate)
> wrote:
>
>>I am looking for a recipe for cooking prime rib, by pre heating the oven to
>>something like 500 deg, then putting the prime rib in, and turning the oven
>>off, for a set length of time. I saw the recipe for this, but can't remember
>>the times, and temp. Any help here?
>>Thanks to all and have a happy new year, Kathy

> Why are you interested in that method?
>
> Because it's weird?

I just did a ribeye roast using a variation of this, and it was lovely and
tender and tasty.

Anyway, here's an old post about it from rec.food.recipes:

BEGIN QUOTED POST:
To everyone who has asked for a delicious way to prepare prime rib, THIS
IS IT. I have made it numerous times and have never had it turn out
less than delicious. Since rib eye roast is fairly expensive, you sure
don't want to risk it turning out blah! Prime rib with horseradish
sauce and Yorkshire pudding are a marriage made in heaven, so I've
included my favorite recipe after the Roast Beast recipe. Enjoy!

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.04

Title: Leave Me Alone Roast Beast
Categories: Company, Beef, Favorite, Lamb
Yield: 8 servings

4 lb Roast of beef
Cooking oil

MMMMM---------------------HORSERADISH SAUCE--------------------------
1 Tbsp Horseradish, prepared
1/2 cup Sour cream
1/2 cup Mayonnaise

Preheat oven [MANDATORY] to 500 F. (Yes, five hundred.) Make sure
oven reaches the full 500 F before proceeding. Coat outside of meat
with oil, be sure and coat ALL exposed parts, in creases, everywhere.
Put in cooking pan, I like one which has a grate so that the meat
doesn't sit in the juices. Cook boneless roast at 500 F for 5
minutes per pound for extremely rare, 7 minutes/lb for very rare.
For bone-in roast, use 10 minutes/lb for medium-rare.

Turn off oven. DO NOT OPEN DOOR. Go away, leave it alone for...oh
overnight, or at least several hours. You may use almost any size
roast, following the minutes/pound rule. You may also use pork, or
probably any other "roast" you wish.

Horseradish sauce: mix all ingredients well with spoon. Serve on the
side.

Joan's comments: I thought this was very strange the first time I
heard about it, but in the South, it's the only way you can have a
roast in the summer (if you don't have air conditioning). It doesn't
spoil sitting in the oven overnight. It doesn't burn by the high
heat. BTW: my child always calls it "Roast Beast" instead of "Roast
Beef", you should see the looks he gets in a restaurant. <G>

Sylvia's comments: Oh my stars! <burp> I used a rib eye roast and
let it sit about 4 hours after turning the oven off. It was
deliciously very rare, just like I like it. I used a 4 lb rib eye
roast, and generously sprinkled with salt and pepper after coating it
with oil. I served it with Yorkshire pudding and horseradish sauce
and fresh steamed cauliflower and we all ate WAY too much. Another
time, when I bought the roast at 4:30 and wanted to serve it that
night, I gave it an extra 2 minutes/lb and only let it sit 1/2 hour.
Definitely tastier if you let it sit for hours, but it was still
delicious. I also used this to roast a leg of lamb. It was
"semi-boneless" which I think was a terrible misnomer, there was a
BIG leg bone through the middle, so I gave it 10 minutes/lb and it
was a nice medium-rare.

Donald McIntire's comments: With regard to others'
questions about the rate of cool-down, I checked when I did my roast.
With an ambient temperature of about 72 F in the kitchen, one hour
after I turned the gas oven off, the temperature in the oven was
about 220 F. (I have an oven thermometer which I can see through the
door.) At two hours, it was about 175 F and at three hours it was
below 100 F.

Nutritional information per serving: xx calories, x.x
gm protein, xx mg cholesterol, xx gm carbohydrate, xx mg sodium, x.x
gm fiber, x.x gm fat, x.x mg iron, xx mg calcium, xx% of calories
from fat.

Brought to you by MMCONV and SylviaRN (at) canada
(dot) com, creator of Frazzled Cook breadmachine mixes, homepage
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/SylviaRN
From: Joan Mershon The Lunatic Fringe Bbs

Doug
Ribitt

"Doug Weller" > wrote in message
. ..
> On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 17:42:06 -0600, Alan wrote:
>
> > On 31 Dec 2003 22:57:13 GMT, ospam (Over40pirate)
> > wrote:
> >
> >>I am looking for a recipe for cooking prime rib, by pre heating the oven

> >>something like 500 deg, then putting the prime rib in, and turning the

oven
> >>off, for a set length of time. I saw the recipe for this, but can't

remember
> >>the times, and temp. Any help here?
> >>Thanks to all and have a happy new year, Kathy

Another variation which has worked well for me - as recently as New Year's
Eve

* Exported from MasterCook *

Ann Seranne's Perfect Rare Rib Roast of Beef

Recipe By :Nika Hazelton
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef

1 Rib Roast -- trimmed and short ribs removed
Flour
Salt and Pepper -- to taste

Remove the roast from the refrigerator 2 1/2 to 4 hours before cooking.
Preheat
the oven to 500. This should take about 20 minutes and is essential. Place
roast, fat side up, in a shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle lightly with the
flour
and rub flour lightly into fat with fingers. Lightly rub in a little salt
and
pepper. Put roast in preheated oven. Roast according to the following time
chart.
4 1/2 to 5 pounds: 25-30 minutes (2 ribs)
8 to 9 pounds: 40-45 minutes (3 ribs)
11 to 12 pounds: 55-60 minutes (4 ribs)

Time exactly and do not open the oven door at any time.
Allow the finished roast to remain in the oven until the oven has cooled
to lukewarm (about 2 hours).
Roast will be brown and crunchy on the outside and have an internal heat
that will suitable for serving as long as 2-4 hours after taking out of
the oven, as long as it is kept in a warm place. A large roast will keep
the internal heat longer than a small one.
Make the gravy when you finally take the roast out of the oven.

Description Different, very successful, and painless way to cook a rib
roast."

pavane

"Ribitt" > wrote in message news:Hx0Kb.140640

> Another variation which has worked well for me - as recently as New Year's
> Eve
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Ann Seranne's Perfect Rare Rib Roast of Beef
>
> Recipe By :Nika Hazelton
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Beef

> 1 Rib Roast -- trimmed and short ribs removed
> Flour
> Salt and Pepper -- to taste
>
> Remove the roast from the refrigerator 2 1/2 to 4 hours before cooking.
> Preheat
> the oven to 500. This should take about 20 minutes and is essential.

Place
> roast, fat side up, in a shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle lightly with the
> flour
> and rub flour lightly into fat with fingers. Lightly rub in a little salt
> and
> pepper. Put roast in preheated oven. Roast according to the following

time
> chart.
> 4 1/2 to 5 pounds: 25-30 minutes (2 ribs)
> 8 to 9 pounds: 40-45 minutes (3 ribs)
> 11 to 12 pounds: 55-60 minutes (4 ribs)
>
> Time exactly and do not open the oven door at any time.
> Allow the finished roast to remain in the oven until the oven has cooled
> to lukewarm (about 2 hours).
> Roast will be brown and crunchy on the outside and have an internal heat
> that will suitable for serving as long as 2-4 hours after taking out of
> the oven, as long as it is kept in a warm place. A large roast will keep
> the internal heat longer than a small one.
> Make the gravy when you finally take the roast out of the oven.
>
> Description Different, very successful, and painless way to cook a rib
> roast."

This is authentic. Craig Claiborne in his "The New New York
Times Cookbook" credited Ann Seranne with having
perfected this high heat technique.

pavane