Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby

Default Freezing Cheese

Has anyone tried freezing Gouda? What was the result?

We got a loving little 2-lb Gouda for Christmas, but no way can the 2 of us
finish it before it turns.

TIA, Pam

Ol' Hippie

Don't know specifically about Gouda, but my wife bought a big block of
cheddar and froze some for the same reason as you and it tasted ok but was
crumbly.

Vox Humana

"Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby" <pjjehg @frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone tried freezing Gouda? What was the result?
>
> We got a loving little 2-lb Gouda for Christmas, but no way can the 2 of

us
> finish it before it turns.

According to this site the shelf life for Gouda is 120 days.
http://www.oldeuropecheese.com/product.htm#gouda

I'm sure that the two of us could finish two pounds of gouda in 4 months!

Dimitri

"Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby" <pjjehg @frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone tried freezing Gouda? What was the result?
>
> We got a loving little 2-lb Gouda for Christmas, but no way can the 2 of

us
> finish it before it turns.
>
> TIA, Pam

You can freeze any cheese.

Unfortunately, the greater the moisture content of the cheese the more
crumbly it will become when thawed. As the moisture expands the ice
crystals break apart the texture of the cheese much the same as freezing
water will burst pipes.

Your Gouda should have a good shelf life with no need for freezing.

Dimitri

Dimitri

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby" <pjjehg @frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> > Has anyone tried freezing Gouda? What was the result?
> >
> > We got a loving little 2-lb Gouda for Christmas, but no way can the 2 of

> us
> > finish it before it turns.
> >

> According to this site the shelf life for Gouda is 120 days.
> http://www.oldeuropecheese.com/product.htm#gouda
>
> I'm sure that the two of us could finish two pounds of gouda in 4 months!

You're kidding right?

Two pounds of Gouda - that's good for well about 4 days sitting around the
table with knife, board and cheese in one hand and a drink in the other.

Vox Humana

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby" <pjjehg @frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> > > Has anyone tried freezing Gouda? What was the result?
> > >
> > > We got a loving little 2-lb Gouda for Christmas, but no way can the 2

of
> > us
> > > finish it before it turns.
> > >

> > According to this site the shelf life for Gouda is 120 days.
> > http://www.oldeuropecheese.com/product.htm#gouda
> >
> > I'm sure that the two of us could finish two pounds of gouda in 4

months!

> You're kidding right?
>
> Two pounds of Gouda - that's good for well about 4 days sitting around the
> table with knife, board and cheese in one hand and a drink in the other.

I could probably take care of it in a day or two, especially if cooked with
it. I was just pointing out that two pounds of gouda + two people and it
would be history before the expiration date. I really love cheese! I can't
think of a time that I ever considered freezing cheese. I get three to five
pound packages of cheese at Costco and it never goes bad before it can be
consumed.

Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby

"Vox Humana" wrote

> "Dimitri" wrote > >
> > "Vox Humana" wrote> > >
> > > According to this site the shelf life for Gouda is 120 days.
> > > http://www.oldeuropecheese.com/product.htm#gouda
> > >
> > > I'm sure that the two of us could finish two pounds of gouda in 4

> months!
> >
> > You're kidding right?
> >
> > Two pounds of Gouda - that's good for well about 4 days sitting around

the
> > table with knife, board and cheese in one hand and a drink in the other.

> I could probably take care of it in a day or two, especially if cooked

with
> it. I was just pointing out that two pounds of gouda + two people and it
> would be history before the expiration date. I really love cheese! I

can't
> think of a time that I ever considered freezing cheese. I get three to

five
> pound packages of cheese at Costco and it never goes bad before it can be
> consumed.

<VBG> OK, you're telling me we needing cheese-eating training! We'll
certainly try to finish it in time.

Thanks all,
Pam

John D. Misrahi

I love cheese of all kinds. But a few times, I've found good deals on those
bags of pre shredded mozzarella , etc..

I freeze them, and then they melt nicely into casseroles , on top of pizzas
etc. at later times

john

>would be history before the expiration date. I really love cheese! I

can't
>think of a time that I ever considered freezing cheese. I get three to

five
>pound packages of cheese at Costco and it never goes bad before it can be
>consumed.

Blair P. Houghton

Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby <pjjehg @frontiernet.net> wrote:
>Has anyone tried freezing Gouda? What was the result?

The mice wouldn't touch it.

--Blair
"They wanted a raclette for xmas..."
Gtwy4cb

>Has anyone tried freezing Gouda?

I would cut it up in manageable pieces and seal them in plastic with my Food
Saver--
store in fridge--no need to freeze.

Bill & Susan

We bring home wheels of gouda from Bonaire, a Dutch Island, and cut them
into 1/4's and freeze them.
No problem, they last until the next year when we go back for more.
Bill

"Gtwy4cb" > wrote in message
> >Has anyone tried freezing Gouda?

> I would cut it up in manageable pieces and seal them in plastic with my

Food
> Saver--
> store in fridge--no need to freeze.

Sandy n ne

I've been told it is ok to freeze cheese, but to always thaw it out in the
refrigerator. Thawing it on the counter will turn it grainy textured.

Sandra
Janet Bostwick

"Jack Schmidling" > wrote in message

> "Bill & Susan"
>
> > We bring home wheels of gouda from Bonaire, a Dutch Island, and cut them
> > into 1/4's and freeze them.
> > No problem, they last until the next year when we go back for more.
> > Bill

> Amazing the expert opinions one always gets from this question.
>
> The answer obviously depends on the type of cheese and aparently gouda
> doesn't mind freezing. Cheddar is destroyed for anything other than

cooking
> but brie and camembert are not effected in the slightest.
>
> js

I'm always puzzled by this kind of thread. Years ago when I lived in
Wisconsin, I used to freeze very aged Wisconsin cheddar from small local
cheese factories. The cheese never suffered any ill effects from freezing.
It could be sliced and grated. I haven't been able to freeze any mass
produced cheddar in the intervening years with out the crumbling thing
happening. We received quite a bit of cheese for Christmas presents last
year from relatives in Wisconsin. I had to freeze the cheese as there just
was too much of it. I thawed the last two pound block of aged cheddar in
early December. I was able to slice it and grate it. Is it possible that
aging has something to do with withstanding freezing?
Janet

Wayne Boatwright

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
:

> "Jack Schmidling" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Bill & Susan"
>>
>> > We bring home wheels of gouda from Bonaire, a Dutch Island, and cut
>> > them into 1/4's and freeze them.
>> > No problem, they last until the next year when we go back for more.
>> > Bill

>> Amazing the expert opinions one always gets from this question.
>>
>> The answer obviously depends on the type of cheese and aparently
>> gouda doesn't mind freezing. Cheddar is destroyed for anything other
>> than

> cooking
>> but brie and camembert are not effected in the slightest.
>>
>> js

> I'm always puzzled by this kind of thread. Years ago when I lived in
> Wisconsin, I used to freeze very aged Wisconsin cheddar from small
> local cheese factories. The cheese never suffered any ill effects
> from freezing. It could be sliced and grated. I haven't been able to
> freeze any mass produced cheddar in the intervening years with out the
> crumbling thing happening. We received quite a bit of cheese for
> Christmas presents last year from relatives in Wisconsin. I had to
> freeze the cheese as there just was too much of it. I thawed the last
> two pound block of aged cheddar in early December. I was able to
> slice it and grate it. Is it possible that aging has something to do
> with withstanding freezing? Janet

Probably so, as aging definately firms the cheese. Relative quality is
probably a factor as well, and you're obviously getting very good cheese.

Wayne