Wayne

"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in
:

> "Wayne" > wrote in message
>> "Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in
>> :

>> > Kielbasa! and sauteed onions and green (or other color) sweet bell
>> > peppers. Green beans with lemon zest, olive oil, and parmesan
>> > cheese... (droool)
>> >
>> > Cyndi

>> You seem to do a lot of drooling, Cyndi! Have you ever been to see
>> anyone about this, or do you just keep a towel handy? <vbg>
>>
>> Uh, lose the peppers, but keep the kielbasa and sauteed onions, and
>> bring on the pierogi! My three favorites; potato and cheese, fried
>> cabbage and onion, and lekvar or whole prune.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne in Phoenix

> =============
>
> Yes. Yes I do... LOL
>
> What can I say? I love good (great...!) food! You've heard of the
> people that get so involved with daytime dramas (soap operas) that
> they even believe they are suffering from the same diseases/situations
> that their favorite charactors (actors) are suffering from...? Well I
> can smell and taste everything as I read it - except for liver and
> other organ meats! I can't scroll past those fast enough. Ptoooooey!
> Bleh!

I know what you mean. I can't count the times I've read something here,
and had to go to the kitchen and cook.

> Cyndi
> Artichokes Bearnaise, anyone? <slurp>

Now that would make a nice Sunday afternoon munch!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Victor Sack

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Pierogi in broth? Pelmeni, maybe. Not pierogi or pirohy. You're
> wrong. :-P

Says you! While certainly not the default, serving pierogi in broth or
clear soups is by no means unusual in Poland, though using uszki
(normal-sized ones) for the purpose is more typical. Where is Monika
when one needs her?

Bubba
Victor Sack

fresh~horses > wrote:

> There are a couple tradtitional accompaniements to pyroghy (the proper
> Ukrainian spelling and pronounced "peer-ohh-heh", roll the rrr's.
> Perogie is the Polish pronounciation.
>
> Serve with bowls of best sour cream and home-made high bush cranberry
> sauce.
>
> After you have boiled them, gently drain and pour this over. (Not too
> much. It's a taste only):
>
> Saute best bacon, bought in slab and cut off rind and into little
> squares, approx 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch, and fried until rendered a bit,
> brown and crisp. Drain off bacon fat and in about one tablespoon,
> maybe two, saute chopped green onions.
>
> Then, you will have already roasted, fried or barbecued rings of
> kubasa, which is Ukrainian garlic ham sausage. (The meat in the
> sausage isn't usually ground but chunks of best ham.) Cut the rings
> into thirds, and each person is served one third. Important to get it
> brown and crusty too. Where are you going to get this? Stawnichy's
> Sausange in Mundare Alberta Canada used to mail it out. Not sure if
> they still do.
>
> Stawnichy's Meat Processing: 1.780.764.3912

This sounds mighty tasty, but appears to be Ukranian-Canadian info and,
I'm afraid, has very little to do with what takes place in the Ukraine
proper...

1. The things are called vareniki (or varenyki) in Ukrainian.
2. Serving cranberry sauce with savoury vareniki is unheard of. With
sweet (usually sour-cherry-filled) vareniki sour-cherry sauce is served.
3. Fried bacon bits and onions with pierogi is a Polish custom.
4. In Ukrainian, sausage is called "kovbasa", not "kubasa" which is a
Canadian corruption. BTW, "kovbasa" is generic and means any kind of
sausage. I don't think many people serve sausage with their vareniki in
the Ukraine.

There have been innumerable posts on the subject over the years and I
have a distinct impression that many, if not most Ukranians and Poles
living in Canada and the USA have long lost all connection to their
ancestral lands, customs and languages, sometimes living in a bubble of
their own where some vague, indeterminate cultural mixture prevails -
but with a very strong sense of national identity nonetheless! I don't
know whether to laugh or to cry.

Victor
Monika Adamczyk

Victor Sack wrote:
> tintalle > wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
>>meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?

> If by "normally" you mean "typically" or "traditionally", then none --
> pierogi are a separate course. They can be served in a broth, though.
> Would you serve something *with* ravioli, tortellini, wontons, or gyoza?
> If you want your nice, casual meal to consist of more than one course,
> feel free to serve anything you like.
>
> Victor

Finally someone with good knowledge and some common sense! :-)
I was reading this thread message by message and the 'side dishes' were
getting stranger and strange with time.

In most cases pierogi can stand on it own with the addition of toppings
(chopped fried bacon and onion for savory, sour or heavy cream and sugar
for sweet version). Pierogi can be also served as dinner main course but
even then they wouldn't be served with any side dishes.
Polish dinner in most cases consists of 3 courses: soup, main entree and
dessert.

Monika

Monika Adamczyk

Victor Sack wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>

>>Pierogi in broth? Pelmeni, maybe. Not pierogi or pirohy. You're
>>wrong. :-P

> Says you! While certainly not the default, serving pierogi in broth or
> clear soups is by no means unusual in Poland, though using uszki
> (normal-sized ones) for the purpose is more typical. Where is Monika
> when one needs her?
>
> Bubba

I am already working on it, but they are uszka and uszki. Since they are
served in soup, uszka are about 1/3 size of the the regular pierogi so
they can be scooped by a spoon without cutting through them.
Mm, lamb filled with lots of garlic and served in very hot broth are my
favorite.

Monika
fresh~horses

hahabogus > wrote in message >.. .
> (Victor Sack) wrote in
> :
>
> > This sounds mighty tasty, but appears to be Ukranian-Canadian info and,
> > I'm afraid, has very little to do with what takes place in the Ukraine
> > proper...
> >

> It isn't Ukranian-Canadian info either. They offer Ukranian as a second
> language in the local school districts. And the local Babas sell perogies
> to raise money for the Onion Domed church projects. And I've never seen
> this way. Even if my spelling sucks. Perhaps it is from the UK?

Of course it's Ukrainian Canadian! What!? You expected a post from
Sukarov village proper?

I think it's very odd to insist ethnic food stay as the immigrants
brought it in 1896. I would imagine it is not prepared that way now in
Ukraine either. Ukrainian language isn't the same now as it was then.
Not here in North America and not in Ukraine. Clothing and footwear is
different too. We have Toyota SUVs in the driveway. Like that...

If we want to be exact then we are going to have to say what district
each group of immigrants came from, and whether they were Orthodox or
Catholic. And then we better remember there were a lot of Jewish
Ukrainians too. Their recipes will differ slightly. So there is a
third possibility of interpretation. Not to mention, with food,
nothing is carved in stone. Thank GOD!!

The recipe I gave you is what was adapted in our kitchen from people
who emmigrated from the banks of the Dneiper. To our taste. Heavily
weighted by what is available 'out there'. And one's husband and
children's demands, of course. And then in come the sons-in-law and
daughters-in-law: Jewish, Orkneys, Norwegian, French-Canadian, Cree.
High bush cranberries? Mais oui!

Traditionally pyroghy (the Canadian adaptation of a Ukrainian word)is
one of the 12 meatless dishes served at Christmas Eve. Christos
Restiasa, or if you and your people were/are from a different area and
speak a slightly different Ukrainian dialect--Christosa Restia, is the
traditional greeting.

My Jewish relatives and friends do not want pork. But they are happy
to eat the pyroghy I prepare for and with them. Without any meat. We
serve them then with yellow onions softly cooked in butter,
accompanied by laquered wooden bowls bought in Kiev by a proud
grandaughter first returned, filled to over-flowing with sour cream
and, yes because we are Canadian, high bush cranberries (very tartly
prepared, not jam). And what else? The fish course is pickeral or
whitefish or lake trout. Caught this morning.

To each his own.

Dyboysha!

Zee
fresh~horses

hahabogus > wrote in message >.. .
> (Victor Sack) wrote in
> :
>
> > This sounds mighty tasty, but appears to be Ukranian-Canadian info and,
> > I'm afraid, has very little to do with what takes place in the Ukraine
> > proper...
> >

> It isn't Ukranian-Canadian info either. They offer Ukranian as a second
> language in the local school districts. And the local Babas sell perogies
> to raise money for the Onion Domed church projects. And I've never seen
> this way. Even if my spelling sucks. Perhaps it is from the UK?

This is like saying "it isn't Chinese". It's a diverse culture,
whether here in NA or there, in Ukraine. Onion Domed churches? Ahh.
Errrr... ok. Did they have the Orthodox cross or the Christian cross
on the dome? Were the babas from Galician or Bukovinian descent?

I will not eat any pyroghy that is not home made. The commercial ones
I have tasted are like rubber pellets. The dough is tough, tasteless
and too thick. The filling usually has potato flakes and powdered
cheddar. They are too large. They are too greasy.

Food that comes from a private kitchen will most assuredly be
different from food that comes from a commercial kitchen where
standardization applies, and consideration for profit affects raw
ingredient choices. Of course there are some fine kitchens that will
turn out good pyroghy. And they *can* be church fundraisers. Just not
likely. Not in my experience.

Zee

fresh~horses

Monika Adamczyk > wrote in message >...
> Victor Sack wrote:
> > tintalle > wrote:
> >

> >>I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
> >>meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?

> > If by "normally" you mean "typically" or "traditionally", then none --
> > pierogi are a separate course. They can be served in a broth, though.
> > Would you serve something *with* ravioli, tortellini, wontons, or gyoza?
> > If you want your nice, casual meal to consist of more than one course,
> > feel free to serve anything you like.
> >
> > Victor

> Finally someone with good knowledge and some common sense! :-)
> I was reading this thread message by message and the 'side dishes' were
> getting stranger and strange with time.
>
> In most cases pierogi can stand on it own with the addition of toppings
> (chopped fried bacon and onion for savory, sour or heavy cream and sugar
> for sweet version). Pierogi can be also served as dinner main course but
> even then they wouldn't be served with any side dishes.
> Polish dinner in most cases consists of 3 courses: soup, main entree and
> dessert.
>
> Monika

Salut Monika

If I ask for the recipe for American burgers, will I get one, or as
many as there are posters? Which will be the one given with "knowlege
and some common sense?"

If I ask for the recipe for Greek Salad, which will be "it"?

Why then must pyroghy be one recipe, one way of serving.

Such thinking smacks of racism.

Zee
fresh~horses

Monika Adamczyk > wrote in message >...
> Victor Sack wrote:
> > tintalle > wrote:
> >

> >>I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
> >>meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?

> > If by "normally" you mean "typically" or "traditionally", then none --
> > pierogi are a separate course. They can be served in a broth, though.
> > Would you serve something *with* ravioli, tortellini, wontons, or gyoza?
> > If you want your nice, casual meal to consist of more than one course,
> > feel free to serve anything you like.
> >
> > Victor

> Finally someone with good knowledge and some common sense! :-)
> I was reading this thread message by message and the 'side dishes' were
> getting stranger and strange with time.
>
> In most cases pierogi can stand on it own with the addition of toppings
> (chopped fried bacon and onion for savory, sour or heavy cream and sugar
> for sweet version). Pierogi can be also served as dinner main course but
> even then they wouldn't be served with any side dishes.
> Polish dinner in most cases consists of 3 courses: soup, main entree and
> dessert.
>
> Monika

Salut Monika

If I ask for the recipe for American burgers, will I get one, or as
many as there are posters? Which will be the one given with "knowlege
and some common sense?"

If I ask for the recipe for Greek Salad, which will be "it"?

Why then must pyroghy be one recipe, one way of serving.

Such thinking smacks of racism.

Zee
Victor Sack

fresh~horses > wrote:

> Monika Adamczyk > wrote:
> > Victor Sack wrote:

> > > If by "normally" you mean "typically" or "traditionally", then none --
> > > pierogi are a separate course. They can be served in a broth, though.
> > > Would you serve something *with* ravioli, tortellini, wontons, or gyoza?
> > > If you want your nice, casual meal to consist of more than one course,
> > > feel free to serve anything you like.

> > Finally someone with good knowledge and some common sense! :-)
> > I was reading this thread message by message and the 'side dishes' were
> > getting stranger and strange with time.
> >
> > In most cases pierogi can stand on it own with the addition of toppings
> > (chopped fried bacon and onion for savory, sour or heavy cream and sugar
> > for sweet version). Pierogi can be also served as dinner main course but
> > even then they wouldn't be served with any side dishes.
> > Polish dinner in most cases consists of 3 courses: soup, main entree and
> > dessert.

> If I ask for the recipe for American burgers, will I get one, or as
> many as there are posters? Which will be the one given with "knowlege
> and some common sense?"
>
> If I ask for the recipe for Greek Salad, which will be "it"?
>
> Why then must pyroghy be one recipe, one way of serving.
>
> Such thinking smacks of racism.

Are you on drugs?

Victor
T E

Sat, Aug 28, 2004: (Victor=A0Sack)
Monika Adamczyk > wrote:
Victor Sack wrote:
tintalle > wrote:
[...]
response: LMFAO

Frozen perogies Ruddell General Cooking 42 07-02-2005 10:41 PM
Perogies State General Cooking 17 22-04-2004 02:22 PM
Spelt perogies Bubbablue General Cooking 7 12-04-2004 04:38 AM