Randal Oulton

Default Tomato paste ingredients

Hi, I'm in Canada. In January, I will be having a diabetic guest for
a month that I have to cook for. Can anyone tell me if Heinz Tomato
paste contains added sugar? The tins I got from Costo have on them no
nutritional or ingredient information.

Many thanks.

(p.s. I say "added sugar" because I know tomatoes naturally have their
own sugar.)
LIMEYNO1

You can check at http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl and just
enter your product it will give the info you need.

"Randal Oulton" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi, I'm in Canada. In January, I will be having a diabetic guest for
> a month that I have to cook for. Can anyone tell me if Heinz Tomato
> paste contains added sugar? The tins I got from Costo have on them no
> nutritional or ingredient information.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> (p.s. I say "added sugar" because I know tomatoes naturally have their
> own sugar.)

Frogleg

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:31:17 -0500, "LIMEYNO1"
> wrote:

>"Randal Oulton" > wrote

>> Can anyone tell me if Heinz Tomato
>> paste contains added sugar? The tins I got from Costo have on them no
>> nutritional or ingredient information.

>You can check at http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl and just
>enter your product it will give the info you need.

The USDA site is one of my favorites, but doesn't have the equivalent
of ingredient labels.

I just looked at 2 different brands (not Heinz) of tomato paste that
have ingredients listed as 'tomato paste, citric acid' and 'tomato
paste, spice, flavors, citric acid.' I'm guessing that if there were
sugar, it'd be mentioned.

No ingrededient labeling in Canada??
jmcquown

Randal Oulton wrote:
> Hi, I'm in Canada. In January, I will be having a diabetic guest for
> a month that I have to cook for. Can anyone tell me if Heinz Tomato
> paste contains added sugar? The tins I got from Costo have on them no
> nutritional or ingredient information.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> (p.s. I say "added sugar" because I know tomatoes naturally have their
> own sugar.)

The thing about cooking for a diabetic is, watch the carbs, not just the
sugar. It also depends on whether or not your guest is on insulin or
diet-controlled.

My fiance is diabetic and is on an exchange diet, which is pretty much what
they do with Weight Watchers. Any good diabetic cookbook will tell you the
exchange rates for carbs and sugar.

Tomato paste should be fine, but you know, it's perfectly okay to ask your
guest what he/she can or cannot eat. In fact, they will probably thank you
for it.

Jill

Karen

"Randal Oulton" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi, I'm in Canada. In January, I will be having a diabetic guest for
> a month that I have to cook for. Can anyone tell me if Heinz Tomato
> paste contains added sugar? The tins I got from Costo have on them no
> nutritional or ingredient information.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> (p.s. I say "added sugar" because I know tomatoes naturally have their
> own sugar.)

Randal, you're being very considerate of your guest's health issue.
However, it's carbohydrates from *all* sources that are problematic for
diabetics; sugar is just one very small part of that. A baked potato, or
even fruit, can spike blood sugar as badly as a brownie. Anything that
has carbs, whether or not it has sugar, needs to be factored into a
diabetic's meal plan. (By the way, sugar is no longer forbidden to a
diabetic.) Foods that are touted as "sugar-free" are not always a better
choice; some of them have more carbs than the sugar-laden version, so
reading labels is a must. Many diabetics, when given a choice, would rather
have a small portion of the real thing.

Your best bet is to find out how many carbohydrates your guest is allowed
per meal; your planning will become much easier then.

You may want to use a search engine to check out some low-carb web sites for
some ideas. I hope your guest appreciates your efforts - it's a nice thing
for you to do! :-)

Karen
Type 2 diabetic

jP

Cookie, Cookie, Cookie.....

Such an ignorant reply. I'm guessing that your discharge from the Navy was
a dishonorable one.

High blood glucose levels can include confusion, headache,tingling to the
fingers or tongue, buzzing in the ears, elevated pulse, unusual hunger and
trembling hands. Persistently high blood sugar levels brought on by
episodic ingestion of high levels of sugars and carbohydrates can lead to
long-term complications such as accelerated development of cataracts,
diabetic retinopathy, cardiovascular disease, diabetic neuropathy,
nephropathy and foot problems.

Why would you call diabetes a lucky condition to have?

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> (Randal Oulton) writes:
>
> >[snip]................ therefore what would it matter if

> there were a fewn sugar milligrams more or less... so do you intend to

feed
> your guest tomato paste every day for the entire month, don't you think

that
> would be kinda boring? Btw, your guest is kinda lucky to be diabetic, in

light
> of the fact that his host is mentally retarded.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Taffy Stoker

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:41:31 GMT, Frogleg > wrote:

>No ingrededient labeling in Canada??

Not like in the States. It is not mandatory to label things up here.

mgeost

If I may. I'm a diabetic and the last thing that I want hosts to do
is rearrange the menu to suit me.

Most if not all diabetics know what they can eat and what they need to
avoid. Personally, I prefer meals where I can vary the portions (for
example, how much sauce to add, how large of a portion I choose).

Please keep in mind that a diabetic is concerned with total intake of
carbohydrates, not just sugar.

And, sugar free Jello or Jello Pudding is a welcomed treat (at least
to me).

Cheers

(Randal Oulton) wrote in message . com>...
> Hi, I'm in Canada. In January, I will be having a diabetic guest for
> a month that I have to cook for. Can anyone tell me if Heinz Tomato
> paste contains added sugar? The tins I got from Costo have on them no
> nutritional or ingredient information.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> (p.s. I say "added sugar" because I know tomatoes naturally have their
> own sugar.)

Blair P. Houghton

jP > wrote:
>"PENMART01" > wrote:
>>[vomit masquerading as heiroglyphics]

>Why would you call diabetes a lucky condition to have?

Because it's better than having your brain removed and
replaced with a bent pizza slicer.

--Blair
"Sheldon's so bitter about that."