jmcquown

Default Scallops: anyone ever ordered from this place?

http://www.great-alaska-seafood.com/

I have a craving for some scallops and ran across this place online. Seems
a decent price for large Alaskan scallops. Keep in mind I'm inland so good
seafood in general is not easy to come by.

Jill

Anthony

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> http://www.great-alaska-seafood.com/
>
> I have a craving for some scallops and ran across this place online.

Seems
> a decent price for large Alaskan scallops. Keep in mind I'm inland so

good
> seafood in general is not easy to come by.
>
> Jill

I haven't used those guys. However I ordered oysters for Christmas from
http://www.f2m.com/ and was very pleased both with their responsiveness and
the product I received. I notice that they offer live scallops in the
shell, (was that tautologous?), which presumably means they come with the
roe, which is hard to come by in the US.

jmcquown

Anthony wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> http://www.great-alaska-seafood.com/
>>
>> I have a craving for some scallops and ran across this place online.
>> Seems a decent price for large Alaskan scallops. Keep in mind I'm
>> inland so good seafood in general is not easy to come by.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I haven't used those guys. However I ordered oysters for Christmas
> from http://www.f2m.com/ and was very pleased both with their
> responsiveness and the product I received. I notice that they offer
> live scallops in the shell, (was that tautologous?), which presumably
> means they come with the roe, which is hard to come by in the US.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd rather not deal with live in the shell
seafood. I got a rather severe cut from shucking oysters, which really
sucks since I despise oysters

I went ahead and ordered three pounds of sea scallops which will arrive
tomorrow. Can't wait to bake the first pound of them! The recipe comes
from La Cucina and is not recommended for those on a low cholesterol diet.

Venetian Scallops (Pettini alla Venisiana)

1 lb. sea scallops
1 small onion, minced
2 Tbs. butter
1/2 c. dry white wine
1 c. heavy (whipping) cream
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 c. seasoned fresh breadcrumbs
1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Saute onion in butter until tender. Add
scallops and gently cook until liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir
in cream and nutmeg. Pour into a shallow baking dish. Blend together fresh
breadcrumbs and cheese. Sprinkle evenly over the top. Bake about 15
minutes.

NOTE: do not overcook scallops; keep an eye on this dish. I serve this with
angel hair pasta tossed with a little olive oil, garlic and dried basil.
Although tomorrow night I may just try it on a bed of deep fried spinach

Jill

kilikini

(snip)

> I went ahead and ordered three pounds of sea scallops which will arrive
> tomorrow. Can't wait to bake the first pound of them! The recipe comes
> from La Cucina and is not recommended for those on a low cholesterol diet.

This sounds basic and Yummy!

> Venetian Scallops (Pettini alla Venisiana)
>
> 1 lb. sea scallops
> 1 small onion, minced
> 2 Tbs. butter
> 1/2 c. dry white wine
> 1 c. heavy (whipping) cream
> 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
> 1/2 c. seasoned fresh breadcrumbs
> 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
>
> Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Saute onion in butter until tender. Add
> scallops and gently cook until liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes.

Stir
> in cream and nutmeg. Pour into a shallow baking dish. Blend together

fresh
> breadcrumbs and cheese. Sprinkle evenly over the top. Bake about 15
> minutes.
>
> NOTE: do not overcook scallops; keep an eye on this dish. I serve this

with
> angel hair pasta tossed with a little olive oil, garlic and dried basil.
> Although tomorrow night I may just try it on a bed of deep fried spinach

> Jill

Jill, please tell us the outcome of your scallops. I'm very curious to know
how it all turned out and if the scallops were as good as expected!

Mahalo and Aloha - Hauoli Makahiki hou! - (Happy new year)

Kilikini

Sidney

Please let us know about the food quality, service, and delivery. Out here
in the Sonoran Desert it is VERY hard to get fresh seafood.

When I went to the Netherlands, everyone thought I was a bit odd because I
ate as much seafood as I could hold :-D

Sid

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Anthony wrote:
> > "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> >> http://www.great-alaska-seafood.com/
> >>
> >> I have a craving for some scallops and ran across this place online.
> >> Seems a decent price for large Alaskan scallops. Keep in mind I'm
> >> inland so good seafood in general is not easy to come by.
> >>
> >> Jill
> >>

> > I haven't used those guys. However I ordered oysters for Christmas
> > from http://www.f2m.com/ and was very pleased both with their
> > responsiveness and the product I received. I notice that they offer
> > live scallops in the shell, (was that tautologous?), which presumably
> > means they come with the roe, which is hard to come by in the US.

> Thanks for the feedback. I'd rather not deal with live in the shell
> seafood. I got a rather severe cut from shucking oysters, which really
> sucks since I despise oysters
>
> I went ahead and ordered three pounds of sea scallops which will arrive
> tomorrow. Can't wait to bake the first pound of them! The recipe comes
> from La Cucina and is not recommended for those on a low cholesterol diet.
>
> Venetian Scallops (Pettini alla Venisiana)
>
> 1 lb. sea scallops
> 1 small onion, minced
> 2 Tbs. butter
> 1/2 c. dry white wine
> 1 c. heavy (whipping) cream
> 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
> 1/2 c. seasoned fresh breadcrumbs
> 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
>
> Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Saute onion in butter until tender. Add
> scallops and gently cook until liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes.

Stir
> in cream and nutmeg. Pour into a shallow baking dish. Blend together

fresh
> breadcrumbs and cheese. Sprinkle evenly over the top. Bake about 15
> minutes.
>
> NOTE: do not overcook scallops; keep an eye on this dish. I serve this

with
> angel hair pasta tossed with a little olive oil, garlic and dried basil.
> Although tomorrow night I may just try it on a bed of deep fried spinach

> Jill

jmcquown

Sidney wrote:
> Please let us know about the food quality, service, and delivery.
> Out here in the Sonoran Desert it is VERY hard to get fresh seafood.
>
> When I went to the Netherlands, everyone thought I was a bit odd
> because I ate as much seafood as I could hold :-D
>
> Sid

Will do, Sid. I misspoke, however; they will ship tomorrow for arrival on
Tuesday. I forgot today is Sunday! In terms of customer service, I've
already heard from them to confirm the order details and to make sure
someone will be here to accept delivery on Tuesday via FedEx. So far,
service-wise, it's promising Now I can't wait to taste the scallops.

Meantime, in order to satisfy a craving for "seafood", I'll have to eat some
freshwater fish. Granted, you may have issues with that in the desert as
well. I have some farm raised catfish fillets in the freezer, as well as
crawfish tail meat and shrimp. This is a recipe I duplicated several years
ago after eating it in a local restaurant. I even got confirmation from the
chef that I was on target with this.

Catfish Acadian

2 lbs. catfish fillets
seasoned flour
olive oil
butter
1 small yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
diced bell pepper
diced celery
about 6 oz. crawfish tail meat
3-4 large chopped shrimp
heavy cream
salt
cayenne pepper

Lightly coat the fillets in seasoned flour and pan fry in butter melted in
olive oil until just tender. Plate and hold the fish in a warm oven. In
another pan, saute the onions, garlic (or shallots), bell pepper and celery
in butter until tender. Add the crawfish and shrimp and cook until just
pink, then stir in some cream to make a smooth sauce. Season with salt and
cayenne pepper to taste. Pour the sauce over the plated fish and serve at
once.

Jill

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Anthony wrote:
>>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> .. .

>>> I haven't used those guys. However I ordered oysters for Christmas
>>> from http://www.f2m.com/ and was very pleased both with their
>>> responsiveness and the product I received. I notice that they offer
>>> live scallops in the shell, (was that tautologous?), which
>>> presumably means they come with the roe, which is hard to come by
>>> in the US.

>> Thanks for the feedback. I'd rather not deal with live in the shell
>> seafood. I got a rather severe cut from shucking oysters, which
>> really sucks since I despise oysters
>>
>> I went ahead and ordered three pounds of sea scallops which will
>> arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to bake the first pound of them! The
>> recipe comes from La Cucina and is not recommended for those on a
>> low cholesterol diet.
>>
>> Venetian Scallops (Pettini alla Venisiana)
>>
>> 1 lb. sea scallops
>> 1 small onion, minced
>> 2 Tbs. butter
>> 1/2 c. dry white wine
>> 1 c. heavy (whipping) cream
>> 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
>> 1/2 c. seasoned fresh breadcrumbs
>> 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
>>
>> Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Saute onion in butter until tender.
>> Add scallops and gently cook until liquid is evaporated, about 5
>> minutes. Stir in cream and nutmeg. Pour into a shallow baking dish.
>> Blend together fresh breadcrumbs and cheese. Sprinkle evenly over
>> the top. Bake about 15 minutes.
>>
>> NOTE: do not overcook scallops; keep an eye on this dish. I serve
>> this with angel hair pasta tossed with a little olive oil, garlic
>> and dried basil. Although tomorrow night I may just try it on a bed
>> of deep fried spinach
>>
>> Jill

jmcquown

kilikini wrote:
> (snip)
>
>> I went ahead and ordered three pounds of sea scallops which will
>> arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to bake the first pound of them! The
>> recipe comes from La Cucina and is not recommended for those on a
>> low cholesterol diet.

> This sounds basic and Yummy!
>
>> Venetian Scallops (Pettini alla Venisiana)
>>

> Jill, please tell us the outcome of your scallops. I'm very curious
> to know how it all turned out and if the scallops were as good as
> expected!
>
> Mahalo and Aloha - Hauoli Makahiki hou! - (Happy new year)
>
> Kilikini

I'll let you know! My mistake, though, they ship tomorrow for delivery on
Tuesday. So, dinner Tuesday night!

Jill

Aria

Where in the Sonoran desert are you from??

"Sidney" > wrote in message
> Please let us know about the food quality, service, and delivery. Out

here
> in the Sonoran Desert it is VERY hard to get fresh seafood.
>
> When I went to the Netherlands, everyone thought I was a bit odd because I
> ate as much seafood as I could hold :-D
>
> Sid
>
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Anthony wrote:
> > > "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > > .. .

> > > I haven't used those guys. However I ordered oysters for Christmas
> > > from http://www.f2m.com/ and was very pleased both with their
> > > responsiveness and the product I received. I notice that they offer
> > > live scallops in the shell, (was that tautologous?), which presumably
> > > means they come with the roe, which is hard to come by in the US.

> > Thanks for the feedback. I'd rather not deal with live in the shell
> > seafood. I got a rather severe cut from shucking oysters, which really
> > sucks since I despise oysters
> >
> > I went ahead and ordered three pounds of sea scallops which will arrive
> > tomorrow. Can't wait to bake the first pound of them! The recipe comes
> > from La Cucina and is not recommended for those on a low cholesterol

diet.

> > Venetian Scallops (Pettini alla Venisiana)
> >
> > 1 lb. sea scallops
> > 1 small onion, minced
> > 2 Tbs. butter
> > 1/2 c. dry white wine
> > 1 c. heavy (whipping) cream
> > 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
> > 1/2 c. seasoned fresh breadcrumbs
> > 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
> >
> > Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Saute onion in butter until tender. Add
> > scallops and gently cook until liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes.

> Stir
> > in cream and nutmeg. Pour into a shallow baking dish. Blend together

> fresh
> > breadcrumbs and cheese. Sprinkle evenly over the top. Bake about 15
> > minutes.
> >
> > NOTE: do not overcook scallops; keep an eye on this dish. I serve this

> with
> > angel hair pasta tossed with a little olive oil, garlic and dried basil.
> > Although tomorrow night I may just try it on a bed of deep fried spinach

> > Jill

Has anyone ordered from here? Value of competitions? TokyoB Tea 10 22-09-2008 03:04 AM
Just ordered the new PC nemo Vegan 2 22-03-2007 05:55 AM
Has anyone ordered from A. J. Madison? Dee Randall Cooking Equipment 3 27-11-2006 03:36 AM
Scallops - how to cook "wet" scallops? Scot General Cooking 11 27-02-2004 05:13 PM