donald girod

Default best popcorn maker?

I would like opinions on what you think is the best popcorn maker out there
(not air-popped, that stuff is really only good for packing material in my
opinion). I have one of those overpriced aluminum pots with a crank, and it
is fast and does a decent amount, but the bottom of the pot warped almost
immediately, and the thing manages to trap quite a bit of steam in the
popped corn, so that it can be tough sometimes.

Goomba38

donald girod wrote:

> I would like opinions on what you think is the best popcorn maker out there
> (not air-popped, that stuff is really only good for packing material in my
> opinion). I have one of those overpriced aluminum pots with a crank, and it
> is fast and does a decent amount, but the bottom of the pot warped almost
> immediately, and the thing manages to trap quite a bit of steam in the
> popped corn, so that it can be tough sometimes.

A good sturdy pot, leaving the lid cracked during popping has always been my
preference.
Goomba

PENMART01

In article >, "donald girod"
> writes:

>I would like opinions on what you think is the best popcorn maker out there
>(not air-popped, that stuff is really only good for packing material in my
>opinion). I have one of those overpriced aluminum pots with a crank, and it
>is fast and does a decent amount, but the bottom of the pot warped almost
>immediately, and the thing manages to trap quite a bit of steam in the
>popped corn, so that it can be tough sometimes.

If the "best" is what you desire only a commercial corn popper will do, the
type found at carnivals and in movie theaters... otherwise choose your
favoritre heavy pot and practice, practice, practice.... and here again is
where a gas cooktop is far superiour to electric.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Julia Altshuler

donald girod wrote:
> I would like opinions on what you think is the best popcorn maker out there
> (not air-popped, that stuff is really only good for packing material in my
> opinion). I have one of those overpriced aluminum pots with a crank, and it
> is fast and does a decent amount, but the bottom of the pot warped almost
> immediately, and the thing manages to trap quite a bit of steam in the
> popped corn, so that it can be tough sometimes.

When you say "best," do you mean least expensive? Fastest? Least
likely to burn kernels? Easiest to clean?

My best popcorn maker is an ordinary sauce pot. I put a little oil on
the bottom, maybe 1/8th of an inch. I put the kernels in to cover the
bottom of the pan. Cover. Put it on medium heat and wait until you
hear popping. When the popping dies down, look at your watch and count
15 seconds. If you hear a pop, start over. When you get up to 15 with
no pops, remove from heat, apply butter, salt, spices, whatever.

--Lia

jmcquown

Goomba38 wrote:
> donald girod wrote:
>
>> I would like opinions on what you think is the best popcorn maker
>> out there (not air-popped, that stuff is really only good for
>> packing material in my opinion). I have one of those overpriced
>> aluminum pots with a crank, and it is fast and does a decent amount,
>> but the bottom of the pot warped almost immediately, and the thing
>> manages to trap quite a bit of steam in the popped corn, so that it
>> can be tough sometimes.

> A good sturdy pot, leaving the lid cracked during popping has always
> been my preference.
> Goomba

Good stirdy pot, and forget about leaving the lid cracked. Just shake the
heck out of it over the flame and let it go to town!

Jill

jmcquown

donald girod wrote:
> I would like opinions on what you think is the best popcorn maker out
> there (not air-popped, that stuff is really only good for packing
> material in my opinion). I have one of those overpriced aluminum
> pots with a crank, and it is fast and does a decent amount, but the
> bottom of the pot warped almost immediately, and the thing manages to
> trap quite a bit of steam in the popped corn, so that it can be tough
> sometimes.

I love popped corn over a wood fire. Upon Sheldon's recommendation I got a
Bromwell non-stick corn popper (was it last year or the year before?) which
I use in the fireplace. It comes with an extention handle for the
fireplace, but can also be used over the eye of the stove. Wonderful
popcorn!

Jill

June Oshiro

donald girod wrote:
> I would like opinions on what you think is the best popcorn maker out

there
> (not air-popped, that stuff is really only good for packing material

in my
> opinion).

A heavy saucepan and a strong arm are really all that you need to make
popcorn!

That said, West Bend made a decent popcorn maker - looked like a giant
dome top with a bar at the bottom that rotated like a clock hand. You'd
put in oil and kernels, fit the lid on, and that was it! It is a
standalone electric thing. It's been years since I've used one, but I
bet they're still around.

I'm an airpop gal myself, though lately I've been eating the microwave
ones without the fat.

-j.

jacqui{JB}

"donald girod" > wrote in message

> I would like opinions on what you think is the
> best popcorn maker out there (not air-popped,
> that stuff is really only good for packing material
> in my opinion).

The West Bend Stir-Crazy, hands down. Perfect popcorn every time.
The only down-side is that it takes up cabinet space. That's not a
huge issue for me, since the popper is something I've grown up with
and don't begrudge its space, but it's something to consider.

And the best popcorn popper isn't worth what you paid for it if you
don't use the best popcorn. I'm an Orville Redenbacher fan, myself.
It's a rare popping where I have more than five or six unpopped
kernels to eight quarts of popcorn (roughly 2/3 cup popcorn to two
tablespoons oil). Pretty impressive performance for both the machine
and the popcorn.

-j

Wayne Boatwright

"jacqui{JB}" > wrote in news:bskfs1
:

> "donald girod" > wrote in message
>
>> I would like opinions on what you think is the
>> best popcorn maker out there (not air-popped,
>> that stuff is really only good for packing material
>> in my opinion).

> The West Bend Stir-Crazy, hands down. Perfect popcorn every time.
> The only down-side is that it takes up cabinet space. That's not a
> huge issue for me, since the popper is something I've grown up with
> and don't begrudge its space, but it's something to consider.
>
> And the best popcorn popper isn't worth what you paid for it if you
> don't use the best popcorn. I'm an Orville Redenbacher fan, myself.
> It's a rare popping where I have more than five or six unpopped
> kernels to eight quarts of popcorn (roughly 2/3 cup popcorn to two
> tablespoons oil). Pretty impressive performance for both the machine
> and the popcorn.
>
> -j

I totally agree. My Stir-Crazy finally gave up the ghost after years of
use and I haven't replaced it yet, but it made the best popcorn I've ever
eaten. We often splurged and used coconut oil or palm oil for popping
which made it that much better, though not very healthy. <G> I will
definitely buy another one.

Wayne

-L.

Julia Altshuler > wrote in message news:<TmhHb.677023$Fm2.584244@attbi_s04>...
> donald girod wrote:
> > I would like opinions on what you think is the best popcorn maker out there
> > (not air-popped, that stuff is really only good for packing material in my
> > opinion). I have one of those overpriced aluminum pots with a crank, and it
> > is fast and does a decent amount, but the bottom of the pot warped almost
> > immediately, and the thing manages to trap quite a bit of steam in the
> > popped corn, so that it can be tough sometimes.
> >

> When you say "best," do you mean least expensive? Fastest? Least
> likely to burn kernels? Easiest to clean?
>
> My best popcorn maker is an ordinary sauce pot. I put a little oil on
> the bottom, maybe 1/8th of an inch. I put the kernels in to cover the
> bottom of the pan. Cover. Put it on medium heat and wait until you
> hear popping. When the popping dies down, look at your watch and count
> 15 seconds. If you hear a pop, start over. When you get up to 15 with
> no pops, remove from heat, apply butter, salt, spices, whatever.
>
> --Lia

I do exactly the same thing but add a little extra popcorn, which
tends to make it less oily, overall, and they still all pop. Nothing
tastes better than popcorn made the "old fashioned" way.

-L.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "donald girod"
> wrote:

> I would like opinions on what you think is the best popcorn maker out
> there (not air-popped, that stuff is really only good for packing
> material in my opinion).

We've loved both our West Bend Stir Crazy poppers.
--
-Barb
12-23-03: Tourtiere pictures and recipe have been
Jarkat2002

>I would like opinions on what you think is the best popcorn maker out there
>(not air-popped, that stuff is really only good for packing material in my
>opinion). I have one of those overpriced aluminum pots with a crank, and it
>is fast and does a decent amount, but the bottom of the pot warped almost
>immediately, and the thing manages to trap quite a bit of steam in the
>popped corn, so that it can be tough sometimes.

I use my wok w/ a gas ring for my gas stove.
I just happen to have a lid that fits. It works perfectly every time.

~Kat

"I think I would like to call myself 'the girl who wanted to be God'. Yet if I
were not in this body, where would I be--perhaps I am destined to be classified
and qualified. But, oh, I cry out aginst it." --Sylvia Plath
Mark Thorson

jacqui{JB} wrote:

> And the best popcorn popper isn't worth what you paid for it if you
> don't use the best popcorn. I'm an Orville Redenbacher fan, myself.

I'm not impressed with Orville Redenbacher. Before putting
the corn in the popper, I always spread the popcorn out
in a dish or something and inspect it for bad kernels. I pick
out all the bad kernels (especially the ones that are black
at the tip) and discard them. I do that because corn is the
second biggest source of cancer-causing aflatoxins in a
typical U.S. diet. (Peanuts are the #1 source.)

If you've ever noticed a piece of popcorn that had an
off taste, it was made from one of these bad kernels.
It's caused by a mold.

In doing these inspections, I've found no difference between
Orville Redenbacher and the cheaper brands. They all
contain about the same number of bad kernels.

Ron

Default best popcorn maker? <- use sugar too

I vote for the West Bend Stir Crazy too. It makes
great popcorn. I always put a half of sugar in the
oil before starting. It gives a popcorn a slightly
sweet taste that goes very well with the salt. Don't
use too much.

Paul M. Cook©®

The best popcorn popper in the world is an iron dutch oven. I use a couple
teaspoons of vegetable or corn oil, toss in my corn, heat till a few start
to pop then shake the pot on the stove to keep the corn from burning until
it pops.

Paul

"donald girod" > wrote in message
> I would like opinions on what you think is the best popcorn maker out

there
> (not air-popped, that stuff is really only good for packing material in my
> opinion). I have one of those overpriced aluminum pots with a crank, and

it
> is fast and does a decent amount, but the bottom of the pot warped almost
> immediately, and the thing manages to trap quite a bit of steam in the
> popped corn, so that it can be tough sometimes.

Nancree

>I always put a half of sugar in the
>oil before starting. It gives a popcorn

A "half" of what, please?
PENMART01

"Paul M. Kook" writes:

>The best popcorn popper in the world is an iron dutch oven. I use a couple
>teaspoons of vegetable or corn oil, toss in my corn, heat till a few start
>to pop then shake the pot on the stove to keep the corn from burning until
>it pops.

An iron dutch oven of say 6 quarts would weigh nigh onto ten pounds, and has
itty-bitty handles...you must have arms like Popeye, and a brain like Bluto if
you expect anyone to believe your fercocktah sea story.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

jacqui{JB}

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message

> > And the best popcorn popper isn't worth what
> > you paid for it if you don't use the best popcorn.
> > I'm an Orville Redenbacher fan, myself.

> I'm not impressed with Orville Redenbacher. Before
> putting the corn in the popper, I always spread the
> popcorn out in a dish or something and inspect it for
> bad kernels. I pick out all the bad kernels (especially
> the ones that are black at the tip) and discard them.
> I do that because corn is the second biggest source
> of cancer-causing aflatoxins in a typical U.S. diet.
> (Peanuts are the #1 source.)
>
> If you've ever noticed a piece of popcorn that had an
> off taste, it was made from one of these bad kernels.
> It's caused by a mold.
>
> In doing these inspections, I've found no difference
> between Orville Redenbacher and the cheaper brands.
> They all contain about the same number of bad kernels.

While I appreciate your concern about aflatoxins, I'm not sure where
you got the idea that you could successfully visually inspect popcorn
at home for such contamination. May I suggest some further reading on
the subject from reliable sources -- here's a good start:

***
Detection

Detection of aflatoxins in corn lots is necessary for regulatory
agencies, producers, and the grain buyers for obvious reasons. The
detection of aflatoxins is not exact and there are opportunities for
error in all of the steps involved. Perhaps the greatest chance for
error is in the sampling process, either in the field or from
truckload lots. The data obtained in this area indicate that at least
a 10 lb. sample should be obtained from the area to be sampled, and
the sample should be as representative of the total lot as possible.

Once the main sample has been obtained, a sub-sample must be obtained.
This is probably the second greatest source of error. The final
analysis for aflatoxin is done on a 50 to 100 gr. sample, which again
must be representative of the larger sample. The sub-sampling error
can be reduced if the total sample is ground before the sub-sample is
obtained. However, in many laboratories neither time nor equipment is
available to grind the entire 10 lb. sample. Thus, a sub-sample of the
intact kernels is taken before grinding.

Although there is a chance for error in the analytical process, this
is the most accurate step in the detection procedure. There are
several ways of detecting aflatoxin once the sub-sample has been
obtained. Detection methods range from procedures as simple as visual
observation of the toxin-producing fungi to complicated chemical
analyses of the toxins themselves.

Ultraviolet light. This is the so-called black light method and is
used by several buying stations. An ultraviolet light of 365 nm is
normally used. However, it is not a reliable method of detecting
aflatoxin since the compound that produces the bright, greenish-yellow
fluorescence is kojic acid and not aflatoxin. It may be used as a
presumptive screening method, but not as an analytical method since
fluorescence may occur without aflatoxin being present.

Minicolumn method. Velasco devised a minicolumn method employing
florisil for rapid screening of aflatoxin B1 (16). This procedure has
been modified and is used by several buying stations to determine
whether or not to purchase a lot of corn. Elevators frequently use
this method to follow up on black light positive samples, particularly
during years when aflatoxin problems are common. The method can detect
B1 as low as 5 PPB in cottonseed products, but cannot be used
analytically because it lacks resolution, and more importantly,
because it does not definitely identify B1. Normally, a sample is
called positive for B1 if an aflatoxin-like fluorescing material is
found absorbed to the florisil layer of the column. Generally, an
unknown sample is compared to one or more known aflatoxin positive
samples (usually at 20 and 100 PPB).

Fluorometric-iodine method. Davis and Diener developed a method for
detecting aflatoxins in which iodine is used to convert aflatoxin B1
into a more intensely fluorescent derivative which is then quantitated
using a comparatively simple photo-fluorometer and filter combination.
The instrument is adjusted to read directly in micrograms per kilogram
(PPB) of aflatoxin. This method also has the advantage of using less
solvents, which makes it much safer for the operator.

Thin layer chromatography. This method is approved by the Association
of Official Analytical Chemists and is referred to commonly as the CB
method. In this method, the aflatoxins are extracted from corn using
solvents concentrated and spotted on chromatograms. The presence of
spots on thin layer chromatograms with RF values similar to or
identical with those of aflatoxins B1, B2, G1, or G2 is a tentative
identification. To confirm the presence of aflatoxins, the suspect
spot is reacted with trifluoroacetic acid or glacial acetic acid, and
developing the reaction products in a new solvent system and comparing
with known standards. This method is used by several laboratories, but
is not used by buying stations.

High performance liquid chromatography. This is a relatively new
method of detecting aflatoxins and is very reliable. Again, it is used
by several research laboratories, but not by buying stations. A
recently developed HPLC procedure is more rapid, more sensitive, and
more precise than the TLC procedure at high toxin levels.

Mass Spectrometry. There is no more definitive confirmation of the
aflatoxins than mass spectroscopy because this method is a direct
molecular characterization of the molecule. However, this method is
used by only a few research laboratories.

***

From http://persephone.agcom.purdue.edu/A...CH/NCH-52.html

As you can see, the level of contamination we're discussing is
minute -- measured in parts per *billion*, far below anything which
could be viewed with the naked eye. Keep being concerned, of course:
make wise food choices, keep abreast of current regulations and
*compliance* with such regulations, write letters to food companies,
and lobby the government to increase the safety of the food supply.

But picking through your popcorn isn't going to do you any good.

I choose Orville's because it's, imo, a better tasting, better
performing, bigger, fluffier popcorn (if you believe their marketing
hype, they "specially condition" their kernels, thus retaining optimal
moisture for popping -- see
http://www.orville.com/A02-History.jsp?mnav=about). Since I don't
live in the US anymore, I eat popcorn maybe half a dozen times a year
(and even when I did, I didn't eat popcorn much more often). Now I'm
limited to when I bring a jar back with me when I visit San Diego ...
which has happened once in the last three years. But I digress ...

I just can't see getting too hysterical about popcorn or my corn/maize
intake (or too many other foodstuff concerns), since I don't eat much
processed food nor much corn-fed meat/poultry. Your mileage, and
hysteria, may vary.
-j

Mark Thorson

jacqui{JB} wrote:

> Although there is a chance for error in the analytical process, this
> is the most accurate step in the detection procedure. There are
> several ways of detecting aflatoxin once the sub-sample has been
> obtained. Detection methods range from procedures as simple as visual
> observation of the toxin-producing fungi to complicated chemical
> analyses of the toxins themselves.

See. There ya go. "visual observation of the toxin-producing fungi".
That's a recognized detection method.

In popcorn, it is a black mold (_Aspergillus_) which lives
in the germ of the kernel. Often, the tip of the husk over the
germ of an infected kernel flakes off, so you can see the
blackened germ. This is one of the most common reasons
for me to reject a bad kernel. Sometimes the husk over the
germ remains intact, but you can see visually that the germ
under the husk is blackened. Those are also rejects.
Just to play it safe, I reject any kernel that looks out of the
ordinary. Broken kernels, swollen kernels, kernels with
visible desposits of black crud on them, all get rejected.
(I believe the black deposits are picked up from the corn
handling machinery, which needs to be cleaned.)

When held up to a light, a good kernel is translucent
yellow, with no internal black features.

Bad kernels can pop like good kernels, and those are the
occasional pieces of popcorn that have an off flavor,
which you get if you don't pick out the bad kernels before
making a batch of popcorn.

I avoid them both for the bad flavor and the cancer risk.

-L.

Mark Thorson > wrote in message >...
> jacqui{JB} wrote:
>
> > And the best popcorn popper isn't worth what you paid for it if you
> > don't use the best popcorn. I'm an Orville Redenbacher fan, myself.

> I'm not impressed with Orville Redenbacher. Before putting
> the corn in the popper, I always spread the popcorn out
> in a dish or something and inspect it for bad kernels. I pick
> out all the bad kernels (especially the ones that are black
> at the tip) and discard them. I do that because corn is the
> second biggest source of cancer-causing aflatoxins in a
> typical U.S. diet. (Peanuts are the #1 source.)

Corn isn't usually grown without fungicides though, whereas the market
for organic peanuts is proportionately larger. Anybody who eats
organic peanutbutter is nuts...

> If you've ever noticed a piece of popcorn that had an
> off taste, it was made from one of these bad kernels.
> It's caused by a mold.
>
> In doing these inspections, I've found no difference between
> Orville Redenbacher and the cheaper brands. They all
> contain about the same number of bad kernels.

The OR tend to be fatter and rounder - a different variety of corn I
suspect. I have good grocery store brands and poor ones - it is
somewhat hit or miss.

-L.
Paul M. Cook©®

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Kook" writes:
> >
> >The best popcorn popper in the world is an iron dutch oven. I use a

couple
> >teaspoons of vegetable or corn oil, toss in my corn, heat till a few

start
> >to pop then shake the pot on the stove to keep the corn from burning

until
> >it pops.

> An iron dutch oven of say 6 quarts would weigh nigh onto ten pounds, and

has
> itty-bitty handles...you must have arms like Popeye, and a brain like

Bluto if
> you expect anyone to believe your fercocktah sea story.

Yooze don't cooks with iron, I'z can tell. Ya doesn't has to but slidez it
back and forth. Uck uck uck uck uck uck!!!!!

P.

kalanamak

"Paul M. Cook©®" wrote:

> Yooze don't cooks with iron, I'z can tell. Ya doesn't has to but slidez it
> back and forth. Uck uck uck uck uck uck!!!!!

What an insight! I can't tell if you are doing an imitation of Popeye or
Penmart.
blacksalt
who once took a Chaucer class with a young man with some emotional
problems who often spoke in a "Rastafarian" accent. When it came time
for this fellow to take his turn reading aloud in Middle English, the
prof, a rather stoical guy, got very excited and said this young man's
version of Chaucer, with its underlying faux Jamaican accent was just
perfect. Not that this got him a good grade. As another manifestation of
his emotional problems, his final essay was a copy of someone else's
thesis, and included the phrase "we who have seen the events of WWII".
The prof later told me he spent all weekend finding the source so he
could go to the dean with it.
Paul M. Cook©®

"kalanamak" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Cook©®" wrote:
> >

> > Yooze don't cooks with iron, I'z can tell. Ya doesn't has to but slidez

it
> > back and forth. Uck uck uck uck uck uck!!!!!
> >

> What an insight! I can't tell if you are doing an imitation of Popeye or
> Penmart.
> blacksalt
> who once took a Chaucer class with a young man with some emotional
> problems who often spoke in a "Rastafarian" accent. When it came time
> for this fellow to take his turn reading aloud in Middle English, the
> prof, a rather stoical guy, got very excited and said this young man's
> version of Chaucer, with its underlying faux Jamaican accent was just
> perfect. Not that this got him a good grade. As another manifestation of
> his emotional problems, his final essay was a copy of someone else's
> thesis, and included the phrase "we who have seen the events of WWII".
> The prof later told me he spent all weekend finding the source so he
> could go to the dean with it.

We jammin man, dah pocohn mahn. Da iahn man makes de corn pop so light and
fluffy, mahn.

jacqui{JB}

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message

> > Detection methods range from procedures as simple
> > as visual observation of the toxin-producing fungi to
> > complicated chemical analyses of the toxins themselves.

> See. There ya go. "visual observation of the toxin-producing
> fungi". That's a recognized detection method.

Sure, in *unprocessed* corn. And there's no discussion of how
accurate visual observation is accurate ("[t]he detection of
aflatoxins is not exact and there are opportunities for error in all
of the steps involved"), nor whether any observed fungus is actually
aflatoxin-producing (as opposed to a more innocuous fungus).

But I have no intention of getting into a long debate with you about
it -- you feel better picking through your popcorn, by all means do
it. I have doubts about any such necessity and find it unnecessarily
hyper. But, then, I still eat raw eggs, too.

As always, your (the collective "your") mileage -- and hysteria
level -- will vary.

-j

jacqui{JB}

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message

> > Detection methods range from procedures as simple
> > as visual observation of the toxin-producing fungi to
> > complicated chemical analyses of the toxins themselves.

> See. There ya go. "visual observation of the toxin-producing
> fungi". That's a recognized detection method.

Sure, in *unprocessed* corn. And there's no discussion of how
accurate visual observation is accurate ("[t]he detection of
aflatoxins is not exact and there are opportunities for error in all
of the steps involved"), nor whether any observed fungus is actually
aflatoxin-producing (as opposed to a more innocuous fungus).

But I have no intention of getting into a long debate with you about
it -- you feel better picking through your popcorn, by all means do
it. I have doubts about any such necessity and find it unnecessarily
hyper. But, then, I still eat raw eggs, too.

As always, your (the collective "your") mileage -- and hysteria
level -- will vary.

-j

Ron

"Nancree" > wrote in message ...
> >I always put a half of sugar in the
> >oil before starting. It gives a popcorn

> A "half" of what, please?

Typo...sorry...half teaspoon.

BOB

In ,
donald girod > typed:
> I would like opinions on what you think is the best popcorn maker out there
> (not air-popped, that stuff is really only good for packing material in my
> opinion). I have one of those overpriced aluminum pots with a crank, and

it
> is fast and does a decent amount, but the bottom of the pot warped almost
> immediately, and the thing manages to trap quite a bit of steam in the
> popped corn, so that it can be tough sometimes.

A wok.

BOB

In ,
Jarkat2002 > typed:
>> I would like opinions on what you think is the best popcorn maker out

there
>> (not air-popped, that stuff is really only good for packing material in my
>> opinion). I have one of those overpriced aluminum pots with a crank, and

it
>> is fast and does a decent amount, but the bottom of the pot warped almost
>> immediately, and the thing manages to trap quite a bit of steam in the
>> popped corn, so that it can be tough sometimes.
>>

> I use my wok w/ a gas ring for my gas stove.
> I just happen to have a lid that fits. It works perfectly every time.

Absolutely! A wok is the best

> ~Kat
>

> "I think I would like to call myself 'the girl who wanted to be God'. Yet

if
> I were not in this body, where would I be--perhaps I am destined to be
> classified and qualified. But, oh, I cry out aginst it." --Sylvia Plath

sf

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:15:44 -0500, " BOB"
> wrote:

> > I use my wok w/ a gas ring for my gas stove.
> > I just happen to have a lid that fits. It works perfectly every time.
> >

> Absolutely! A wok is the best

I use my caphalon pans/with lid of course. They make the
best popcorn and absolutely no shaking required.

PS: I finally saw kettle corn made the real way on food tv
the other day and it was done in an open pan, not a wok -
but similar looking.

hw

I use a very small (3 quart) cast iron dutch oven, that has a handle...heat
the oil, throw in the corn, put a lid on the pot from my 3 quart farberware
pot, swing the handle and great popcorn in a short amount of time...

Harriet & critters...JJ the world famous jack russell terrior & PK the lady
manx.

"Netguy" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
> > I would like opinions on what you think is the best popcorn maker out

there
> > (not air-popped, that stuff is really only good for packing material in

my
> > opinion). I have one of those overpriced aluminum pots with a crank,

and it
> > is fast and does a decent amount, but the bottom of the pot warped

almost
> > immediately, and the thing manages to trap quite a bit of steam in the
> > popped corn, so that it can be tough sometimes.
> >

> Microwave?

RSS Coffee Feed - Great Drip Coffee Maker - Technivorm Moccamaster KBT-741 - How do you choose a drip coffee maker? With so many brands, modules, features and prices, choosing a drip coffee maker is not as simple as it seems. The Technivorm Moccamast `RSS,,,@...' Coffee 0 20-01-2012 03:11 AM
Hot air popcorn maker: need rec, plz Kalmia General Cooking 18 20-12-2010 10:30 PM
Popcorn Paco[_4_] General Cooking 5 24-08-2009 05:49 AM
That buttery aroma might be toxic, too: Common chemical in popcorn at center of concern [Scout popcorn OK] Fred Goodwin, CMA General Cooking 0 06-09-2007 10:52 PM
Presto PowerPop popcorn maker [email protected] General Cooking 0 02-06-2006 01:41 AM