jmcquown

Default Restaurants in Davenport, Iowa?

In about a month I'll be in Davenport, Iowa. Flying into Moline, Illinois,
which I gather is just a whisper away from Davenport.

Any suggestions as to where to eat while in the area?

OB Food: Baked Idaho white potatoes, rubbed with olive oil and sprinkled
with salt. Served with lots of butter and, if you wish, sour cream.
Additional toppings may include snipped fresh chives, crumbled bacon and
shredded cheese.

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Nancy Dooley

"jmcquown" > wrote in message >...
> In about a month I'll be in Davenport, Iowa. Flying into Moline, Illinois,
> which I gather is just a whisper away from Davenport.
>
> Any suggestions as to where to eat while in the area?
>
> OB Food: Baked Idaho white potatoes, rubbed with olive oil and sprinkled
> with salt. Served with lots of butter and, if you wish, sour cream.
> Additional toppings may include snipped fresh chives, crumbled bacon and
> shredded cheese.
>
> Jill

I wish I could help - haven't eaten anywhere in the Quad Cities in
ages (that's Rock Island and Moline, Illinois, and Davenport and
Bettendorf, Iowa).

Jumer's Castle (a complex, kind of) has a pretty good restaurant. A
long time ago, "The Dock" was THE place to eat. Anyplace that is a
steakhouse or has pork tenderloins (more casual) will likely be a
treat. Ask for recommendations at the airport or a concierge.

N.
Nancy Dooley

"jmcquown" > wrote in message >...
> In about a month I'll be in Davenport, Iowa. Flying into Moline, Illinois,
> which I gather is just a whisper away from Davenport.
>
> Any suggestions as to where to eat while in the area?
>
> OB Food: Baked Idaho white potatoes, rubbed with olive oil and sprinkled
> with salt. Served with lots of butter and, if you wish, sour cream.
> Additional toppings may include snipped fresh chives, crumbled bacon and
> shredded cheese.
>
> Jill

I wish I could help - haven't eaten anywhere in the Quad Cities in
ages (that's Rock Island and Moline, Illinois, and Davenport and
Bettendorf, Iowa).

Jumer's Castle (a complex, kind of) has a pretty good restaurant. A
long time ago, "The Dock" was THE place to eat. Anyplace that is a
steakhouse or has pork tenderloins (more casual) will likely be a
treat. Ask for recommendations at the airport or a concierge.

N.
Gregory Morrow

Nancy Dooley wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> > In about a month I'll be in Davenport, Iowa. Flying into Moline,

Illinois,
> > which I gather is just a whisper away from Davenport.
> >
> > Any suggestions as to where to eat while in the area?
> >
> > OB Food: Baked Idaho white potatoes, rubbed with olive oil and

sprinkled
> > with salt. Served with lots of butter and, if you wish, sour cream.
> > Additional toppings may include snipped fresh chives, crumbled bacon and
> > shredded cheese.
> >
> > Jill

> I wish I could help - haven't eaten anywhere in the Quad Cities in
> ages (that's Rock Island and Moline, Illinois, and Davenport and
> Bettendorf, Iowa).
>
> Jumer's Castle (a complex, kind of) has a pretty good restaurant. A
> long time ago, "The Dock" was THE place to eat. Anyplace that is a
> steakhouse or has pork tenderloins (more casual) will likely be a
> treat. Ask for recommendations at the airport or a concierge.

I second the pork tenderloin idea, I would *die* (almost)to be able to have
them up here in Chicago...also Maid Rite is a local IA - IL chain, so if you
are up for some "loose meat" sammiches.... Catfish is a staple of the area,
but these days most of it would probably be the farmed stuff from
Mississippi or wherever. If you can find an old authentic fish market
somewhere along the river you can find local catfish, carp, etc. I don't
know if these much exist anymore (they were common when I was a kid growing
up in the area 40+ years ago)....

The Quad - Cities is pretty dire when it comes to eats, the area went
through a terrible economic time during the farm/rustlbelt crises in the
70's - 80's. There are now gambling boats and a big new push for
tourism....

Nevertheless I found some stuff for Jill he

A pretty generic listing:

http://www.destinationquadcities.com/dining.htm

------------------------------

A small listing From _River City Reader_, a free local weekly:

http://www.rcreader.com/restaurants.php3?biglist=1

-------------------------------

From the _River Cities Reader_ "Best Of...2003" issue:

http://www.rcreader.com/display_arti...x=1&artid=1696

"Food

Restaurant That Opened in 2003

1. Five
2. Johnny's Italian Steakhouse
3. Bent River at North Park Mall

Dominic Rivera opened his "urban steakhouse" Five nine months ago with the
goal of having a New York- or Chicago-style restaurant in the Quad Cities.
"It's energy to me," said the executive chef and proprietor. "You just feel
alive." One component of that urban energy was locating Five in an existing
downtown building, at 1624 Fifth Avenue in Moline. The menu, which changes
every few months, and flair at Five might seem familiar to patrons of other
Quad Cities fine-dining establishments; Rivera has been chef at Faithful
Pilot and was a partner in Red Crow Grille. One thing Rivera still fights
against, however, is how his restaurant is perceived. "I don't want it to be
intimidating," he stressed. For reservations, call (309)764-5555. The
restaurant also has a Web site at ( http://www.dominicrivera.com ) that
includes its current menu.

Asian Restaurant

1. Exotic Thai
2. Le Mekong
3. Royal Wok

As you step into the Exotic Thai restaurant, the inviting ambiance of
plants, tapestries, statues, and the colorful theme greet you just slightly
before the host or hostess does. Owner Kevin Zhang is proud of that great
service, and of the food and pleasant atmosphere that made Exotic Thai our
readers' selection as Best Asian Restaurant in this year's Best of the Quad
Cities poll. Many unique and authentic dishes from Thailand highlight the
menu; among the favorites are chicken satay appetizers and many of the
basil-flavored entrees. There are daily lunch and dinner specials available
and reservations are accepted. Call (563)344-0909 to make yours. You can
also visit Exotic Thai online at (http://yp.com/yppc.php?pi=IAF8723923).

- Rick Martin

Italian Restaurant
1. Biaggi's Ristorante Italiano
2. Trattoria Tiramisu
3. Olive Garden

Mexican Restaurant
1. Rudy's Tacos
2. Azteca
3. Jalapeno's

Fine Dining
1. Johnny's Italian Steakhouse
2. Biaggi's Ristorante Italiano
3. Steventon's

Best Fine Dining, Best Atmosphere

Heart of America Restaurants & Inns is known for its distinctive
restaurants, and Johnny's Italian Steakhouse in the John Deere Commons
(Moline) is no exception. As the restaurant's Web site accurately notes,
Johnny's "is reminiscent of the traditional '40s-style supper clubs where
everybody went for a good time and great food." (But later eras are also
invoked, with plenty of Rat Pack images.) The restaurant opened in the Quad
Cities in December 2002 and won two categories in our 2003 poll - for fine
dining and atmosphere - as well as being runner-up in several others. Johnny
's signature dishes include Steak DeBurgo and Filet Medallion Trio, but
there's also plenty on the menu for people interested in something other
than beef. For reservations, call (309) 736-0100."

---------------------------------------

From the Yahoo! Travel site:

http://tinyurl.com/3spyf

"1 Cheddar's Casual Cafe Rate It!
1225 East Kimberly Road
Davenport, IA 52807-1920
Quad Cities' most popular restaurant that serves pastas, steaks, ribs,
burgers, sandwiches, salads, and vegetarian dishes daily for lunch, dinner,
and late night dining.

2 Machine Shed, The Rate It!
7250 Northwest Boulevard
Davenport, IA 52806-1018
Specializing in pork and beef entrees, this country style restaurant serves
homestyle, made-from-scratch country dishes daily for lunch and dinner.

3 Culver's of Davenport Rate It!
5320 Jersey Ridge Road
Davenport, IA 52807-3137
Enjoy great made-to-order Butterburgers served on a toasted bun at this
restaurant, as well as homemade custard and premium ice cream. They are open
daily for lunch and dinner.

4 Village Inn Restaurant Rate It!
1919 North Harrison Street
Davenport, IA 52803-2801
Known for its famous buttermilk pancakes, this family restaurant serves
fresh salads, delicious sandwiches, classic American entrees, and
award-winning pies. They are open daily for breakfast, lunch, and...

5 Downtown Deli
330 North Main Street
Davenport, IA 52801-1410
Order sandwiches, soups, and salads made the way you like it at this deli
that is open daily for lunch.

6 Front Street Brewery
208 East River Drive
Davenport, IA 52801-1609
This English style brew pub offers a variety of great pub style dishes plus
handcrafted beers that are brewed on the premises.

7 Charlie's 11th Street Bar & Grill
2108 East 11th Street
Davenport, IA 52803-3704
This family restaurant is known for its unbreaded tenderloin and fresh cut
french fries. They are open daily for lunch and dinner.
More information about Charlie's 11th Street Bar & Grill

8 Lagomarcino's Inc.
2132 East Eleventh Street
Davenport, WI 53802
A turn-of-the-century ice cream parlor and confectionery that serves
delicious ice cream sundaes and shakes as well as specialty sandwiches. They
are open daily for lunch.

9 Dock Restaurant, The
125 South Perry Street
Davenport, IA 52801-1619
Fine dining restaurant that overlooks the Mississippi River and serves
steaks, fresh seafood, and a Champagne Sunday Brunch. They are open nightly
for dinner."

------------------------------------

Lastly, this is one unique place that you really might enjoy:

http://www.lagomarcinos.com/

"In 1908 Angelo Lagomarcino, an immigrant from Northern Italy founded
Lagomarcino's Confectionery in Moline, Illinois. Lagomarcino's is renowned
for its delectable creations of homemade candy, ice cream, fruit and gourmet
baskets.

When you think of Lagomarcino's don't just think of candy because we are a
charming soda fountain too. We can offer you a "Happy Thought," a "Whooper
Dooper," a "Tin Roof," but you must try a Hot Fudge Sundae. The charming
story of how Angelo Lagomarcino obtained the secret recipe for the hot fudge
sauce makes eating the sundae even more fun. In 1912 Angelo paid a traveling
salesman $25 for the recipe, against his wife's better judgment. She scolded
him for spending so much money, but he was right. After all these years we
make the same recipe in small batches and serve it in an individual pitcher
to drizzle on as you like. It is the topping for the "best sundae in the
world." Our soda fountain offers many other homemade treats. We serve
old-fashioned sodas in 8 flavors. We serve root beer floats, flavored colas,
Green Rivers, and our very own Lagos. Charlie Lagomarcino concocted this
fruity soda pop in the twenties. If you're ever in the neighborhood stop by
for lunch and a treat.

Many decades after Angelo Lagomarcino's initial venture, the business
continues to improve and expand. The decor of the Moline store (the fourth
location) was carefully planned in 1918. The mahogany booths were
custom-built by Moline Furniture Works. The Tiffany-style lamps lighting
each booth were designed in New York. Cassini Tile of Rock Island installed
the hexagon terrazzo floor with blue flowers to compliment the lamps. When
the building was built in 1894 the metal ceiling was installed; the original
cigar and candy cases are still in use. The quiet nostalgia of the
surroundings greet you today even in the a new Lagomarcino's opened in the
Village of East Davenport in 1997".

</>
> N.

Gregory Morrow

Nancy Dooley wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> > In about a month I'll be in Davenport, Iowa. Flying into Moline,

Illinois,
> > which I gather is just a whisper away from Davenport.
> >
> > Any suggestions as to where to eat while in the area?
> >
> > OB Food: Baked Idaho white potatoes, rubbed with olive oil and

sprinkled
> > with salt. Served with lots of butter and, if you wish, sour cream.
> > Additional toppings may include snipped fresh chives, crumbled bacon and
> > shredded cheese.
> >
> > Jill

> I wish I could help - haven't eaten anywhere in the Quad Cities in
> ages (that's Rock Island and Moline, Illinois, and Davenport and
> Bettendorf, Iowa).
>
> Jumer's Castle (a complex, kind of) has a pretty good restaurant. A
> long time ago, "The Dock" was THE place to eat. Anyplace that is a
> steakhouse or has pork tenderloins (more casual) will likely be a
> treat. Ask for recommendations at the airport or a concierge.

I second the pork tenderloin idea, I would *die* (almost)to be able to have
them up here in Chicago...also Maid Rite is a local IA - IL chain, so if you
are up for some "loose meat" sammiches.... Catfish is a staple of the area,
but these days most of it would probably be the farmed stuff from
Mississippi or wherever. If you can find an old authentic fish market
somewhere along the river you can find local catfish, carp, etc. I don't
know if these much exist anymore (they were common when I was a kid growing
up in the area 40+ years ago)....

The Quad - Cities is pretty dire when it comes to eats, the area went
through a terrible economic time during the farm/rustlbelt crises in the
70's - 80's. There are now gambling boats and a big new push for
tourism....

Nevertheless I found some stuff for Jill he

A pretty generic listing:

http://www.destinationquadcities.com/dining.htm

------------------------------

A small listing From _River City Reader_, a free local weekly:

http://www.rcreader.com/restaurants.php3?biglist=1

-------------------------------

From the _River Cities Reader_ "Best Of...2003" issue:

[...]

From the Yahoo! Travel site:

> [...]

Green Rivers, and our very own Lagos. Charlie Lagomarcino concocted this
fruity soda pop in the twenties. If you're ever in the neighborhood stop by
for lunch and a treat.

Many decades after Angelo Lagomarcino's initial venture, the business
continues to improve and expand. The decor of the Moline store (the fourth
location) was carefully planned in 1918. The mahogany booths were
custom-built by Moline Furniture Works. The Tiffany-style lamps lighting
each booth were designed in New York. Cassini Tile of Rock Island installed
the hexagon terrazzo floor with blue flowers to compliment the lamps. When
the building was built in 1894 the metal ceiling was installed; the original
cigar and candy cases are still in use. The quiet nostalgia of the
surroundings greet you today even in the a new Lagomarcino's opened in the

Default User

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> I second the pork tenderloin idea, I would *die* (almost)to be able to have
> them up here in Chicago.

You mean the big old breaded Iowa-style sandwiches? Those are great.

Brian Rodenborn
Gregory Morrow

Default User wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>
> > I second the pork tenderloin idea, I would *die* (almost)to be able to

have
> > them up here in Chicago.

> You mean the big old breaded Iowa-style sandwiches? Those are great.

Yessssssss....

There are bunch of us Illio - Iowans here in Chicago and those breaded pork
tenderloins are what we miss most about Chicago....

I know a LOT of Iowans, they are the nicest people from one of the nicest
states. This past weekend there was a huge street fair in our 'hood
(Halsted St. Market Days)...we were tawkin' about how much money we could
make at that fair if we had a stand selling breaded pork tenderloins and
John Deere t-shirts, caps, 'n stuff....

Heck I'd throw loose meat (Maid Rite) sammiches into the mix, too....

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>
> > I second the pork tenderloin idea, I would *die* (almost)to be able to

have
> > them up here in Chicago.

> You mean the big old breaded Iowa-style sandwiches? Those are great.

Yessssssss....

There are bunch of us Illio - Iowans here in Chicago and those breaded pork
tenderloins are what we miss most about Chicago....

I know a LOT of Iowans, they are the nicest people from one of the nicest
states. This past weekend there was a huge street fair in our 'hood
(Halsted St. Market Days)...we were tawkin' about how much money we could
make at that fair if we had a stand selling breaded pork tenderloins and
John Deere t-shirts, caps, 'n stuff....

Heck I'd throw loose meat (Maid Rite) sammiches into the mix, too....

--
Best
Greg

Howard Kaikow

I usually rely on well known travel guides such as the Mobil Travel Guide
for initial recommendations.
When at the destination, one can usually get reliable tips from hotel
personnel or other guests.

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> In about a month I'll be in Davenport, Iowa. Flying into Moline,

Illinois,
> which I gather is just a whisper away from Davenport.
>
> Any suggestions as to where to eat while in the area?
>
> OB Food: Baked Idaho white potatoes, rubbed with olive oil and sprinkled
> with salt. Served with lots of butter and, if you wish, sour cream.
> Additional toppings may include snipped fresh chives, crumbled bacon and
> shredded cheese.
>
> Jill
> --
> I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

jmcquown

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Nancy Dooley wrote:
>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> In about a month I'll be in Davenport, Iowa. Flying into Moline,
>>> Illinois, which I gather is just a whisper away from Davenport.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions as to where to eat while in the area?
>>>
>>> OB Food: Baked Idaho white potatoes, rubbed with olive oil and
>>> sprinkled with salt. Served with lots of butter and, if you wish,
>>> sour cream. Additional toppings may include snipped fresh chives,
>>> crumbled bacon and shredded cheese.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I wish I could help - haven't eaten anywhere in the Quad Cities in
>> ages (that's Rock Island and Moline, Illinois, and Davenport and
>> Bettendorf, Iowa).
>>
>> Jumer's Castle (a complex, kind of) has a pretty good restaurant. A
>> long time ago, "The Dock" was THE place to eat. Anyplace that is a
>> steakhouse or has pork tenderloins (more casual) will likely be a
>> treat. Ask for recommendations at the airport or a concierge.
>>

> I second the pork tenderloin idea, I would *die* (almost)to be able
> to have them up here in Chicago...also Maid Rite is a local IA - IL
> chain, so if you are up for some "loose meat" sammiches.... Catfish
> is a staple of the area, but these days most of it would probably be
> the farmed stuff from Mississippi or wherever. If you can find an
> old authentic fish market somewhere along the river you can find
> local catfish, carp, etc. I don't know if these much exist anymore
> (they were common when I was a kid growing up in the area 40+ years
> ago)....
>
> The Quad - Cities is pretty dire when it comes to eats, the area went
> through a terrible economic time during the farm/rustlbelt crises in
> the 70's - 80's. There are now gambling boats and a big new push for
> tourism....
>
> Nevertheless I found some stuff for Jill he
>
> A pretty generic listing:
>
> http://www.destinationquadcities.com/dining.htm

Thank you kindly! I'm printing the lists from these sites. We'll also ask
at the hotel desk.

Jill

Howard Kaikow

"Howard Kaikow" > wrote in message
> I usually rely on well known travel guides such as the Mobil Travel Guide
> for initial recommendations.
> When at the destination, one can usually get reliable tips from hotel
> personnel or other guests.

I take back what I said.

I visited the Mobil Travel Guide web site yesterday.
Checked for restauant listings in my area.
Only two were listed, one was highly overrrated, the other was highly
underrated, so I question the quality of their reports.
Also, why only two restaurants? Does a restaurant have to pay to be listed?

jmcquown

Howard Kaikow wrote:
> "Howard Kaikow" > wrote in message
>> I usually rely on well known travel guides such as the Mobil Travel
>> Guide for initial recommendations.

(snip)
> I take back what I said.
>
> I visited the Mobil Travel Guide web site yesterday.
> Checked for restauant listings in my area.
> Only two were listed, one was highly overrrated, the other was highly
> underrated, so I question the quality of their reports.
> Also, why only two restaurants? Does a restaurant have to pay to be
> listed?

This is what I find wrong with sites like zagat (which used to be free but
now requires you to subscribe for a price) and roadfood and similar sites.
You are generally reading what people have rated and if they haven't been
there then you get no info and often, as you mentioned, no listing.

I can judge for myself, I was just looking for some ideas. We do normally
ask at the hotel desk but there's nothing better than a personal
recommendation. When we were in Minneapolis working the Stone Arch
Festival, rfc'r 'sd' recommended a number of places and we had the
opportunity to eat at one of them and also to buy some nice cheeses and
wines at Surdyk's. A good time was had by all

Thanks for the reply.

Jill

jmcquown

Howard Kaikow wrote:
> "Howard Kaikow" > wrote in message
>> I usually rely on well known travel guides such as the Mobil Travel
>> Guide for initial recommendations.

(snip)
> I take back what I said.
>
> I visited the Mobil Travel Guide web site yesterday.
> Checked for restauant listings in my area.
> Only two were listed, one was highly overrrated, the other was highly
> underrated, so I question the quality of their reports.
> Also, why only two restaurants? Does a restaurant have to pay to be
> listed?

This is what I find wrong with sites like zagat (which used to be free but
now requires you to subscribe for a price) and roadfood and similar sites.
You are generally reading what people have rated and if they haven't been
there then you get no info and often, as you mentioned, no listing.

I can judge for myself, I was just looking for some ideas. We do normally
ask at the hotel desk but there's nothing better than a personal
recommendation. When we were in Minneapolis working the Stone Arch
Festival, rfc'r 'sd' recommended a number of places and we had the
opportunity to eat at one of them and also to buy some nice cheeses and
wines at Surdyk's. A good time was had by all

Thanks for the reply.

Jill

Nancy Dooley

"jmcquown" > wrote in message >...
> Howard Kaikow wrote:
> > "Howard Kaikow" > wrote in message
> >> I usually rely on well known travel guides such as the Mobil Travel
> >> Guide for initial recommendations.

> (snip)
> > I take back what I said.
> >
> > I visited the Mobil Travel Guide web site yesterday.
> > Checked for restauant listings in my area.
> > Only two were listed, one was highly overrrated, the other was highly
> > underrated, so I question the quality of their reports.
> > Also, why only two restaurants? Does a restaurant have to pay to be
> > listed?

> This is what I find wrong with sites like zagat (which used to be free but
> now requires you to subscribe for a price) and roadfood and similar sites.
> You are generally reading what people have rated and if they haven't been
> there then you get no info and often, as you mentioned, no listing.
>
> I can judge for myself, I was just looking for some ideas. We do normally
> ask at the hotel desk but there's nothing better than a personal
> recommendation. When we were in Minneapolis working the Stone Arch
> Festival, rfc'r 'sd' recommended a number of places and we had the
> opportunity to eat at one of them and also to buy some nice cheeses and
> wines at Surdyk's. A good time was had by all
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Jill

Jill, don't eat Maid-Rites in the Quad Cities - Newton & Marshalltown
are the only places to eat them - otherwise, the taste won't be
"right." ;-)

Tenderloin sandwiches are so easy to make - ask your
meat-market/supermarket butcher to run some pork loin slices through
the tenderizer a couple times - I bread mine with beaten egg and then
very, very fine cracker crumbs. "Authentic" ones are bigger than the
plate they're served on ;-).

The Iowa State Fair this year has two new on-a-stick foods: meatballs
(those would be tasty) and chocolate-covered waffles. Hmmmm.

N.
Nancy Dooley

Nancy Dooley wrote:

> Tenderloin sandwiches are so easy to make - ask your
> meat-market/supermarket butcher to run some pork loin slices through
> the tenderizer a couple times - I bread mine with beaten egg and then
> very, very fine cracker crumbs. "Authentic" ones are bigger than the
> plate they're served on ;-).

When I was kid, we went to Ft. Dodge to visit my grandparents and the
whole family trucked off to a local eatery. When we got there, my dad
leaned over to me and said, "you want to order the pork tenderloin
sandwich." I did so. It came, it was huge, it was thin and crispy and
tasty. I looked up and my dad and my grandpa each had one as well. I
always have this sense of connectedness when I have that sandwich to
this day.

Brian Rodenborn

Nancy Dooley wrote:

> Tenderloin sandwiches are so easy to make - ask your
> meat-market/supermarket butcher to run some pork loin slices through
> the tenderizer a couple times - I bread mine with beaten egg and then
> very, very fine cracker crumbs. "Authentic" ones are bigger than the
> plate they're served on ;-).

When I was kid, we went to Ft. Dodge to visit my grandparents and the
whole family trucked off to a local eatery. When we got there, my dad
leaned over to me and said, "you want to order the pork tenderloin
sandwich." I did so. It came, it was huge, it was thin and crispy and
tasty. I looked up and my dad and my grandpa each had one as well. I
always have this sense of connectedness when I have that sandwich to
this day.

Brian Rodenborn
Wayne Boatwright

Default User > wrote in message >...
> Nancy Dooley wrote:
>
> > Tenderloin sandwiches are so easy to make - ask your
> > meat-market/supermarket butcher to run some pork loin slices through
> > the tenderizer a couple times - I bread mine with beaten egg and then
> > very, very fine cracker crumbs. "Authentic" ones are bigger than the
> > plate they're served on ;-).

> When I was kid, we went to Ft. Dodge to visit my grandparents and the
> whole family trucked off to a local eatery. When we got there, my dad
> leaned over to me and said, "you want to order the pork tenderloin
> sandwich." I did so. It came, it was huge, it was thin and crispy and
> tasty. I looked up and my dad and my grandpa each had one as well. I
> always have this sense of connectedness when I have that sandwich to
> this day.

Just this past weekend we ate at "The Iowa Cafe" in Mesa, AZ, a small
restaurant run by an Iowa family. I ordered the pork tenderloin
sandwich, and it was just as you described. Delicious! I will go
back. They also offer the pork tenderloin as a dinner, which I well
imagine would lop over the plate. They also serve a wide variety of
home-made pies, with at last 12-15 types of pie available at any one
time. Both the pork tenderloin and the pies are award winners from
three local papers.

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

> Nancy Dooley wrote:
>
> > Tenderloin sandwiches are so easy to make - ask your
> > meat-market/supermarket butcher to run some pork loin slices through
> > the tenderizer a couple times - I bread mine with beaten egg and then
> > very, very fine cracker crumbs. "Authentic" ones are bigger than the
> > plate they're served on ;-).

> When I was kid, we went to Ft. Dodge to visit my grandparents and the
> whole family trucked off to a local eatery. When we got there, my dad
> leaned over to me and said, "you want to order the pork tenderloin
> sandwich." I did so. It came, it was huge, it was thin and crispy and
> tasty. I looked up and my dad and my grandpa each had one as well. I
> always have this sense of connectedness when I have that sandwich to
> this day.

Just this past weekend we ate at "The Iowa Cafe" in Mesa, AZ, a small
restaurant run by an Iowa family. I ordered the pork tenderloin
sandwich, and it was just as you described. Delicious! I will go
back. They also offer the pork tenderloin as a dinner, which I well
imagine would lop over the plate. They also serve a wide variety of
home-made pies, with at last 12-15 types of pie available at any one
time. Both the pork tenderloin and the pies are award winners from
three local papers.

Wayne

Nancy Dooley

(Wayne Boatwright) wrote in message om>...
> Default User > wrote in message >...
> > Nancy Dooley wrote:
> >
> > > Tenderloin sandwiches are so easy to make - ask your
> > > meat-market/supermarket butcher to run some pork loin slices through
> > > the tenderizer a couple times - I bread mine with beaten egg and then
> > > very, very fine cracker crumbs. "Authentic" ones are bigger than the
> > > plate they're served on ;-).

> > When I was kid, we went to Ft. Dodge to visit my grandparents and the
> > whole family trucked off to a local eatery. When we got there, my dad
> > leaned over to me and said, "you want to order the pork tenderloin
> > sandwich." I did so. It came, it was huge, it was thin and crispy and
> > tasty. I looked up and my dad and my grandpa each had one as well. I
> > always have this sense of connectedness when I have that sandwich to
> > this day.

> Just this past weekend we ate at "The Iowa Cafe" in Mesa, AZ, a small
> restaurant run by an Iowa family. I ordered the pork tenderloin
> sandwich, and it was just as you described. Delicious! I will go
> back. They also offer the pork tenderloin as a dinner, which I well
> imagine would lop over the plate. They also serve a wide variety of
> home-made pies, with at last 12-15 types of pie available at any one
> time. Both the pork tenderloin and the pies are award winners from
> three local papers.
>
> Wayne

I would guess the pork tenderloin dinner would be more like medallions
of pork tenderloin - but maybe it's like the sandwich and they just
dress it differently ... let us know.

If they have "Iowa chops," those would be very good.

N.
Nancy Dooley

(Wayne Boatwright) wrote in message om>...
> Default User > wrote in message >...
> > Nancy Dooley wrote:
> >
> > > Tenderloin sandwiches are so easy to make - ask your
> > > meat-market/supermarket butcher to run some pork loin slices through
> > > the tenderizer a couple times - I bread mine with beaten egg and then
> > > very, very fine cracker crumbs. "Authentic" ones are bigger than the
> > > plate they're served on ;-).

> > When I was kid, we went to Ft. Dodge to visit my grandparents and the
> > whole family trucked off to a local eatery. When we got there, my dad
> > leaned over to me and said, "you want to order the pork tenderloin
> > sandwich." I did so. It came, it was huge, it was thin and crispy and
> > tasty. I looked up and my dad and my grandpa each had one as well. I
> > always have this sense of connectedness when I have that sandwich to
> > this day.

> Just this past weekend we ate at "The Iowa Cafe" in Mesa, AZ, a small
> restaurant run by an Iowa family. I ordered the pork tenderloin
> sandwich, and it was just as you described. Delicious! I will go
> back. They also offer the pork tenderloin as a dinner, which I well
> imagine would lop over the plate. They also serve a wide variety of
> home-made pies, with at last 12-15 types of pie available at any one
> time. Both the pork tenderloin and the pies are award winners from
> three local papers.
>
> Wayne

I would guess the pork tenderloin dinner would be more like medallions
of pork tenderloin - but maybe it's like the sandwich and they just
dress it differently ... let us know.

If they have "Iowa chops," those would be very good.

N.
Nancy Dooley

(Wayne Boatwright) wrote in message om>...
> Default User > wrote in message >...
> > Nancy Dooley wrote:
> >
> > > Tenderloin sandwiches are so easy to make - ask your
> > > meat-market/supermarket butcher to run some pork loin slices through
> > > the tenderizer a couple times - I bread mine with beaten egg and then
> > > very, very fine cracker crumbs. "Authentic" ones are bigger than the
> > > plate they're served on ;-).

> > When I was kid, we went to Ft. Dodge to visit my grandparents and the
> > whole family trucked off to a local eatery. When we got there, my dad
> > leaned over to me and said, "you want to order the pork tenderloin
> > sandwich." I did so. It came, it was huge, it was thin and crispy and
> > tasty. I looked up and my dad and my grandpa each had one as well. I
> > always have this sense of connectedness when I have that sandwich to
> > this day.

> Just this past weekend we ate at "The Iowa Cafe" in Mesa, AZ, a small
> restaurant run by an Iowa family. I ordered the pork tenderloin
> sandwich, and it was just as you described. Delicious! I will go
> back. They also offer the pork tenderloin as a dinner, which I well
> imagine would lop over the plate. They also serve a wide variety of
> home-made pies, with at last 12-15 types of pie available at any one
> time. Both the pork tenderloin and the pies are award winners from
> three local papers.
>
> Wayne

I would guess the pork tenderloin dinner would be more like medallions
of pork tenderloin - but maybe it's like the sandwich and they just
dress it differently ... let us know.

If they have "Iowa chops," those would be very good.

N.
Nancy Dooley