FoodBanter.com

-   -   Teriyaki shop's sweet salad dressing: how to make? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/30862-teriyaki-shops-sweet-salad.html)

Fred M. Sloniker 10-08-2004 02:03 AM

Teriyaki shop's sweet salad dressing: how to make?

When I dine out, one of the places I like to eat is one of the
numerous teriyaki shops in the area. Many of them serve an
interesting type of salad along with the rice and meat. The salad
itself is pretty much just shredded lettuce, carrots, cabbage, and
the like, but the dressing isn't one I'm familiar with anywhere else.
It's a white dressing, creamy yet runny, and it's actually kind of
sweet.

I rather enjoy the dressing, but needless to say, I can't just ask the
restaurant owners for the recipe-- if for no other reason than the
language barrier. I could experiment on my own-- my brother suggests
it may just be a variation on coleslaw dressing-- but I don't want to
inflict food fiascoes on myself if I don't have to. So I'd like to
ask the group: anybody know what this kind of dressing is called and
where I can get a recipe for it?

rox 16-08-2004 05:56 AM

Generally when I've bought rice vinegar billed as "seasoned," the seasoning
is sugar. My "Asian" dressings taste sweet when I use it. You might also
experiment with rice wine vinegar. Also, I have read Japanese salad dressing
recipes where one of the ingredients is sugar.

Give this a try for starters:

1 part seasoned rice vinegar or rice wine vinegar
1 part soy sauce
a few drops of sesame oil
3 parts vegetable oil

mix first three ingredients and add oil gradually, beating until emulsified

rox 16-08-2004 05:56 AM

rox 16-08-2004 05:56 AM

Lynn Gifford 16-08-2004 05:36 PM

Dom DeLuise's Chinese Dressing
I use this for Chinese Chicken Salad made with shredded cooked
chicken, lettuce, carrot, mandarin oranges, scallions, water
chestnuts, celery, crispy noodles and toasted almonds or cashews.

2/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
2 cups water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup plum sauce
2 TB soy sauce
1 TB fresh ginger, grated
2 whole cloves garlic
2 TB sesame oil
1/2 cup vegetable oil (optional)

Bring vinegar, sugar & water to a boil. Stir to dissolve sugar.
Off heat, add ginger, plum sauce, soy sauce, garlic cloves (peeled,
smashed a bit & stuck onto a toothpick) and oils.
Refrigerate overnight. Shake well before serving. Makes about a quart.

from Dom DeLuise's book:
Eat this, It'll Make you Feel Better!

Lynn from Fargo