Nancree

Default Electric ovens take longer than gas ovens

I've seen it discussed that electric ovens take more time than a gas oven does
to cook a casserole, pie, roast, etc. My experience is that it is true. The
reason given is that the gas flame burns up the oxygen faster, or some such
theory. I don't know if this is the right reason, but having cooked both both
electricity and gas, I can tell you that in an electric oven always takes about
10 minutes longer.
This includes the assumption that both ovens were properly pre-heated. It is
particularly clear when baking a pie, --pumpkin, pecan, lemon, etc.

Any experts out there?

Louis Cohen

I'm trying to understand how this could be, in two ovens at the same
temperature, and no convection in either.

The only hypotheses I can come up with a

- Maybe gas ovens come back to temp faster after the door is opened and
cold/room temp food is placed inside. I would guess that this would make a
difference only on things cooked for a relatively short time, or if you
opened the oven to check very often.

- Very few people have electric and gas ovens at home, so the observations
are bogus

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

Bah! Humbug!

"Nancree" > wrote in message
> I've seen it discussed that electric ovens take more time than a gas oven

does
> to cook a casserole, pie, roast, etc. My experience is that it is true.

The
> reason given is that the gas flame burns up the oxygen faster, or some

such
> theory. I don't know if this is the right reason, but having cooked both

both
> electricity and gas, I can tell you that in an electric oven always takes

about
> 10 minutes longer.
> This includes the assumption that both ovens were properly pre-heated. It

is
> particularly clear when baking a pie, --pumpkin, pecan, lemon, etc.
>
> Any experts out there?

jmcquown

Nancree wrote:
> I've seen it discussed that electric ovens take more time than a gas
> oven does to cook a casserole, pie, roast, etc. My experience is that
> it is true. The reason given is that the gas flame burns up the
> oxygen faster, or some such theory. I don't know if this is the
> right reason, but having cooked both both electricity and gas, I can
> tell you that in an electric oven always takes about 10 minutes
> longer.
> This includes the assumption that both ovens were properly
> pre-heated. It is particularly clear when baking a pie, --pumpkin,
> pecan, lemon, etc.
>
> Any experts out there?

The 10 minutes may be pre-heating time. My electric oven is calibrated a
tad too high, so I have to adjust my cooking time down about 5 minutes for
most recipes. Therefore, I generally don't preheat the oven. There is no
hard & fast rule, I'm afraid.

Jill