SPOONS

Default Spanakopita Question??

Hi all,

I have guests comming from out of town this weekend and I was thinking of
making Spanakopita on saturday but I don't want to cook it untill monday.
Is it ok for it to be refrigeratd or should I freeze it & then cook it? The
recipe I have includes eggs mixed in the spinach filling and I don't know if
that would be ok to leave in the fridge untill monday.

--
Take care,
SPOONS

Barry Grau

"SPOONS" > wrote in message et.cable.rogers.com>...
> Hi all,
>
> I have guests comming from out of town this weekend and I was thinking of
> making Spanakopita on saturday but I don't want to cook it untill monday.
> Is it ok for it to be refrigeratd or should I freeze it & then cook it? The
> recipe I have includes eggs mixed in the spinach filling and I don't know if
> that would be ok to leave in the fridge untill monday.

I'd be more concerned that the filo will get soggy and not crisp right
than that the eggs wont be all right. Better make the filling Saturday
or Sunday, defrost the filo in the fridge Sunday nad assemble and bake
the spanakopita on Monday morning. Make one large pie and cut it into
serving size pieces if folding individual pies on Monday seems too
daunting.

-bwg
Darryl L. Pierce

Barry Grau wrote:

>> I have guests comming from out of town this weekend and I was thinking of
>> making Spanakopita on saturday but I don't want to cook it untill monday.
>> Is it ok for it to be refrigeratd or should I freeze it & then cook it?
>> The recipe I have includes eggs mixed in the spinach filling and I don't
>> know if that would be ok to leave in the fridge untill monday.

> I'd be more concerned that the filo will get soggy and not crisp right
> than that the eggs wont be all right. Better make the filling Saturday
> or Sunday, defrost the filo in the fridge Sunday nad assemble and bake
> the spanakopita on Monday morning. Make one large pie and cut it into
> serving size pieces if folding individual pies on Monday seems too
> daunting.

Speaking from experience, if you're going to serve spanakopita you need to
serve it from the oven. Left-over spanakopita is always going to have soggy
phyllo. It's best served from the oven and crisp.

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>