sno

Default Slice - Steak - Roast.........????

I am not into cooking (obvious)....but I posted
a question here....and one of the responses raised
my curiosity.....

I had always been under the impression that the
difference between the three terms in the subject
was thickness....

Slice is thinnest cut....at some point a slice
becomes a steak....further along a steak becomes
a roast...

A response that I got, insinuated that a cut from
a cooked roast.....of steak size....is not called
a steak.....it is only a steak if it is cut before
cooking....if it is not a steak....what is it...???

Thank you for attempting to satisfy my curiosity
and for what you can teach me....

steve
CapnFntasy

a hunk? Actually, it's just a slice. The other posters were right, steak is a
term reserved for meat that has been sliced before cooking. Slicing a piece
from cooked meat=a slice.
Lorne Epp

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 23:54:02 -0500, sno > wrote:

>I am not into cooking (obvious)....but I posted
>a question here....and one of the responses raised
>my curiosity.....
>
>I had always been under the impression that the
>difference between the three terms in the subject
>was thickness....
>
>Slice is thinnest cut....at some point a slice
>becomes a steak....further along a steak becomes
>a roast...
>
>A response that I got, insinuated that a cut from
>a cooked roast.....of steak size....is not called
>a steak.....it is only a steak if it is cut before
>cooking....if it is not a steak....what is it...???
>
>Thank you for attempting to satisfy my curiosity
>and for what you can teach me....

I guess it's my response that you are referring to. I was saying that
I wouldn't call a slice from a cooked roast a steak, regardless of
thickness, but I have no idea whether that is standard usage. Maybe
I'm wrong - it has happened before )

>steve

sno

So is a "steak sized slice"....

thank you.........steve

CapnFntasy wrote:

> a hunk? Actually, it's just a slice. The other posters were right, steak is a
> term reserved for meat that has been sliced before cooking. Slicing a piece
> from cooked meat=a slice.

Dimiri

"sno" > wrote in message ...

> I am not into cooking (obvious)....but I posted
> a question here....and one of the responses raised
> my curiosity.....
>
> I had always been under the impression that the
> difference between the three terms in the subject
> was thickness....
>
> Slice is thinnest cut....at some point a slice
> becomes a steak....further along a steak becomes
> a roast...

Not 100% true

Chteaubriand
[sha-toh-bree-AHN]
Contrary to popular belief, Chteaubriand is actually a recipe, not a cut of
beef. This method of preparation is said to be named for the 19th-century
French statesman and author, François Chteaubriand. It's a succulent, thick
cut of beef (usually taken from the center of the tenderloin) that's large
enough for two people. The Chteaubriand is usually grilled or broiled and
served with BÉARNAISE SAUCE and chteau potatoes (potatoes trimmed into
olive shapes and sautéed in butter). See also SHORT LOIN.
© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

IMHO a good Chateaubriand is a small roast cooked like a steak.

roast
n. 1. A piece of meat - such as a RIB ROAST - that's large enough to serve
more than one person. Such a meat cut is usually cooked by the roasting
method. 2. Food, usually meat, that has been prepared by roasting. roast v.
To oven-cook food in an uncovered pan, a method that usually produces a
well-browned exterior and ideally a moist interior. Roasting requires
reasonably tender pieces of meat or poultry. Tougher pieces of meat need
moist cooking methods such as braising.
© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

You can cut any piece of meat into a steak and cook it like one but would
you?

I hope this helps,

Dimitri

Puester

CapnFntasy wrote:

> a hunk? Actually, it's just a slice. The other posters were right, steak is a
> term reserved for meat that has been sliced before cooking. Slicing a piece
> from cooked meat=a slice.

Or a slab.

gloria p
Sheryl Rosen

in article , sno at wrote on
12/23/03 11:54 PM:

> I am not into cooking (obvious)....but I posted
> a question here....and one of the responses raised
> my curiosity.....
>
> I had always been under the impression that the
> difference between the three terms in the subject
> was thickness....
>
> Slice is thinnest cut....at some point a slice
> becomes a steak....further along a steak becomes
> a roast...
>
> A response that I got, insinuated that a cut from
> a cooked roast.....of steak size....is not called
> a steak.....it is only a steak if it is cut before
> cooking....if it is not a steak....what is it...???
>
> Thank you for attempting to satisfy my curiosity
> and for what you can teach me....
>
> steve

It's a slab-o-beef whether you cut it raw or cut it cooked.

If you cook a large piece of meat (more than one serving's worth) and you
bake it, which is the same as roasting it, it's a roast.

If it's sliced into individual servings, then baked, well, you wouldn't
really do that, but I suppose that would be baked steak. Or roasted steak.

Steak is usually sliced off the larger piece of meat, then cooked over
direct heat, as in a frying pan or on a grill, or even under the broiler.
but it can also be cooked prior to cutting off individual servings, as in
flank steak or london broil.

When you go to a restaurant, often a Steakhouse, and order the prime rib,
it's typically a very thick slice of meat cut off a larger piece of
meat....that's typically been roasted in the oven. So I'd call that a slice,
or a slab, of prime rib.

I contend a steak is only a piece of meat (thick or thin, as you desire)
that's been broiled either in a pan or on a grill or broiler of some sort.
For me, it's the cooking method that determines whether it's steak or roast.

PENMART01

In article >, Sheryl Rosen
> writes:

>sno at wrote on
>12/23/03 11:54 PM:
>

>> I am not into cooking (obvious)....but I posted
>> a question here....and one of the responses raised
>> my curiosity.....
>>
>> I had always been under the impression that the
>> difference between the three terms in the subject
>> was thickness....
>>
>> Slice is thinnest cut....at some point a slice
>> becomes a steak....further along a steak becomes
>> a roast...
>>
>> A response that I got, insinuated that a cut from
>> a cooked roast.....of steak size....is not called
>> a steak.....it is only a steak if it is cut before
>> cooking....if it is not a steak....what is it...???
>>
>> Thank you for attempting to satisfy my curiosity
>> and for what you can teach me....
>>
>> steve

>It's a slab-o-beef whether you cut it raw or cut it cooked.
>
>If you cook a large piece of meat (more than one serving's worth) and you
>bake it, which is the same as roasting it, it's a roast.
>
>If it's sliced into individual servings, then baked, well, you wouldn't
>really do that, but I suppose that would be baked steak. Or roasted steak.
>
>Steak is usually sliced off the larger piece of meat, then cooked over
>direct heat, as in a frying pan or on a grill, or even under the broiler.
>but it can also be cooked prior to cutting off individual servings, as in
>flank steak or london broil.
>
>When you go to a restaurant, often a Steakhouse, and order the prime rib,
>it's typically a very thick slice of meat cut off a larger piece of
>meat....that's typically been roasted in the oven. So I'd call that a slice,
>or a slab, of prime rib.
>
>I contend a steak is only a piece of meat (thick or thin, as you desire)
>that's been broiled either in a pan or on a grill or broiler of some sort.
>For me, it's the cooking method that determines whether it's steak or roast.

All are arbitrary.

A "slice" is an arbitrery quantity, especially since nowhere does the OP
specify whether it's a slice of beef, pork, chicken, fish, etc. (cooked or raw)
or a slice of Oscar Mayer balogna.

A steak can be thin like a minute steak, thick like a two inch porterhouse, a
two inch slab of shark, and anywhere inbetween.

A roast can be a 40 pound baron of beef, a 12 ounce cornish game hen, and
everything inbetween... even a trayful of tiny tube steaks wraped in dough.

I think the OP (Steve) needs his head examined, for an IQ.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Blair P. Houghton

sno > wrote:
>Slice is thinnest cut....at some point a slice
>becomes a steak....further along a steak becomes
>a roast...

If one is less than a meal, it is a slice.
If one is a meal, it's a steak.
If one is more than a meal, it's a roast.

--Blair
"Cheese-steak == a cheese + a steak."
The Wolf

On 12/25/2003 8:12 PM, in article ,
"Blair P. Houghton" > opined:

> sno > wrote:
>> Slice is thinnest cut....at some point a slice
>> becomes a steak....further along a steak becomes
>> a roast...

> If one is less than a meal, it is a slice.
> If one is a meal, it's a steak.
> If one is more than a meal, it's a roast.
>
> --Blair
> "Cheese-steak == a cheese + a steak."

If one is a dumb ****, it's a Blair.
There's nothing like the sight of the gallows to focus the mind.