Damaeus

Default Pam vs. Oil

When I use Pam nonstick spray when baking something in the oven on a cookie
sheet, it works so much better than applying a good, healthy smear of oil
all over it. Why is that?

This is in relation to an older thread discussing the use of cooking spray.
Peter Aitken

"Damaeus" > wrote in message
> When I use Pam nonstick spray when baking something in the oven on a

cookie
> sheet, it works so much better than applying a good, healthy smear of oil
> all over it. Why is that?
>
> This is in relation to an older thread discussing the use of cooking

spray.

Pam also contains lecithin, not present in plain oil, that improves
stick-resistance. AFAIK it is a natural product and is harmless. But use
parchment paper for best results.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Damaeus" > wrote in message
> When I use Pam nonstick spray when baking something in the oven on a

cookie
> sheet, it works so much better than applying a good, healthy smear of oil
> all over it. Why is that?
>
> This is in relation to an older thread discussing the use of cooking

spray.

Pam also contains lecithin, not present in plain oil, that improves
stick-resistance. AFAIK it is a natural product and is harmless. But use
parchment paper for best results.

--
Peter Aitken

Damaeus

In news:rec.food.cooking, "Peter Aitken" > posted on
Mon, 02 Aug 2004 12:33:15 GMT:

> Pam also contains lecithin, not present in plain oil, that improves
> stick-resistance. AFAIK it is a natural product and is harmless. But use
> parchment paper for best results.

I just picked up a roll of parchment paper a few weeks ago. :-) I think
I'll make some cookies tonight to celebrate. :-D

Damaeus
Damaeus

In news:rec.food.cooking, "Peter Aitken" > posted on
Mon, 02 Aug 2004 12:33:15 GMT:

> Pam also contains lecithin, not present in plain oil, that improves
> stick-resistance. AFAIK it is a natural product and is harmless. But use
> parchment paper for best results.

I just picked up a roll of parchment paper a few weeks ago. :-) I think
I'll make some cookies tonight to celebrate. :-D

Damaeus

Kswck

"Damaeus" > wrote in message
> When I use Pam nonstick spray when baking something in the oven on a

cookie
> sheet, it works so much better than applying a good, healthy smear of oil
> all over it. Why is that?
>
> This is in relation to an older thread discussing the use of cooking

spray.

Um, the oil may burn?

HiTech RedNeck

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
r.com...
> "Damaeus" > wrote in message
> > When I use Pam nonstick spray when baking something in the oven on a

> cookie
> > sheet, it works so much better than applying a good, healthy smear of

oil
> > all over it. Why is that?
> >
> > This is in relation to an older thread discussing the use of cooking

> spray.
>
> Pam also contains lecithin, not present in plain oil, that improves
> stick-resistance. AFAIK it is a natural product and is harmless. But use
> parchment paper for best results.

Pam will burn on to cookie sheets, however, so it has to be scrubbed off
afterwards with significant elbow grease even though the cookies don't
stick.

Does anybody make a Teflon cookie sheet?

HiTech RedNeck

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
r.com...
> "Damaeus" > wrote in message
> > When I use Pam nonstick spray when baking something in the oven on a

> cookie
> > sheet, it works so much better than applying a good, healthy smear of

oil
> > all over it. Why is that?
> >
> > This is in relation to an older thread discussing the use of cooking

> spray.
>
> Pam also contains lecithin, not present in plain oil, that improves
> stick-resistance. AFAIK it is a natural product and is harmless. But use
> parchment paper for best results.

Pam will burn on to cookie sheets, however, so it has to be scrubbed off
afterwards with significant elbow grease even though the cookies don't
stick.

Does anybody make a Teflon cookie sheet?

Kenneth

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 23:55:30 GMT, "HiTech RedNeck"
> wrote:

>Does anybody make a Teflon cookie sheet?

Yes, in fact, it seems to me that just about every line of baking
products has a non-stick version.

If you need help finding such, let me know...

--
Kenneth

Kenneth

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 23:55:30 GMT, "HiTech RedNeck"
> wrote:

>"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
. rr.com...
>> "Damaeus" > wrote in message
>> > When I use Pam nonstick spray when baking something in the oven on a

>> cookie
>> > sheet, it works so much better than applying a good, healthy smear of

>oil
>> > all over it. Why is that?
>> >
>> > This is in relation to an older thread discussing the use of cooking

>> spray.
>>
>> Pam also contains lecithin, not present in plain oil, that improves
>> stick-resistance. AFAIK it is a natural product and is harmless. But use
>> parchment paper for best results.

>Pam will burn on to cookie sheets, however, so it has to be scrubbed off
>afterwards with significant elbow grease even though the cookies don't
>stick.
>
>Does anybody make a Teflon cookie sheet?

Hi again,

Check: http://tinyurl.com/5uhpr for a ton of 'em.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Kenneth

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 23:55:30 GMT, "HiTech RedNeck"
> wrote:

>"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
. rr.com...
>> "Damaeus" > wrote in message
>> > When I use Pam nonstick spray when baking something in the oven on a

>> cookie
>> > sheet, it works so much better than applying a good, healthy smear of

>oil
>> > all over it. Why is that?
>> >
>> > This is in relation to an older thread discussing the use of cooking

>> spray.
>>
>> Pam also contains lecithin, not present in plain oil, that improves
>> stick-resistance. AFAIK it is a natural product and is harmless. But use
>> parchment paper for best results.

>Pam will burn on to cookie sheets, however, so it has to be scrubbed off
>afterwards with significant elbow grease even though the cookies don't
>stick.
>
>Does anybody make a Teflon cookie sheet?

Hi again,

Check: http://tinyurl.com/5uhpr for a ton of 'em.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

notbob

On 2004-08-07, A.C. > wrote:

> silpat seems to be the magic in that arena

.....or parchment paper, essentially a disposable silpat, which can be found
it the foil/plastic wrap section of your supermarket.

nb
notbob

On 2004-08-07, A.C. > wrote:

> silpat seems to be the magic in that arena

.....or parchment paper, essentially a disposable silpat, which can be found
it the foil/plastic wrap section of your supermarket.

nb
Kenneth

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 01:03:54 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2004-08-07, A.C. > wrote:
>
>> silpat seems to be the magic in that arena

>....or parchment paper, essentially a disposable silpat, which can be found
>it the foil/plastic wrap section of your supermarket.
>
>nb

Howdy,

I use them frequently and they are great.

One thing though: Don't ever cut them. They are made of glass fiber
and cutting them is a significant no no.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Kenneth

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 01:03:54 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2004-08-07, A.C. > wrote:
>
>> silpat seems to be the magic in that arena

>....or parchment paper, essentially a disposable silpat, which can be found
>it the foil/plastic wrap section of your supermarket.
>
>nb

Howdy,

I use them frequently and they are great.

One thing though: Don't ever cut them. They are made of glass fiber
and cutting them is a significant no no.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Damaeus

In news:rec.food.cooking, Kenneth >
posted on Fri, 06 Aug 2004 21:34:20 -0400:

> On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 01:03:54 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> >....or parchment paper, essentially a disposable silpat, which can be found
> >it the foil/plastic wrap section of your supermarket.

> One thing though: Don't ever cut them. They are made of glass fiber
> and cutting them is a significant no no.

Eh, then why is parchment paper in the foil sections sold in "rolls" that
must be "ripped" by pulling it across the millions of tiny little teeth
along the edge of the box? Seems like if cutting was dangerous, then the
above method would be even worse.

Damaeus
Damaeus

In news:rec.food.cooking, Kenneth >
posted on Fri, 06 Aug 2004 21:34:20 -0400:

> On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 01:03:54 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> >....or parchment paper, essentially a disposable silpat, which can be found
> >it the foil/plastic wrap section of your supermarket.

> One thing though: Don't ever cut them. They are made of glass fiber
> and cutting them is a significant no no.

Eh, then why is parchment paper in the foil sections sold in "rolls" that
must be "ripped" by pulling it across the millions of tiny little teeth
along the edge of the box? Seems like if cutting was dangerous, then the
above method would be even worse.

Damaeus
Bob Myers

"Damaeus" > wrote in message

> > >....or parchment paper, essentially a disposable silpat, which can be

found
> > >it the foil/plastic wrap section of your supermarket.

> > One thing though: Don't ever cut them. They are made of glass fiber
> > and cutting them is a significant no no.

> Eh, then why is parchment paper in the foil sections sold in "rolls" that
> must be "ripped" by pulling it across the millions of tiny little teeth
> along the edge of the box? Seems like if cutting was dangerous, then the
> above method would be even worse.

There was a poor choice of words in the above. Parchment paper is
not "essentially a disposable silpat," since it clearly is not made from
the same material. It is EFFECTIVELY a disposable silpat (i.e.,
it has the same effect as a silpat, but is disposable), which I believe
is what was intended. You don't cut a silpat because of the fiber
problem mentioned, but obviously cutting paper is no big deal.

Bob M.

Bob Myers

"Damaeus" > wrote in message

> > >....or parchment paper, essentially a disposable silpat, which can be

found
> > >it the foil/plastic wrap section of your supermarket.

> > One thing though: Don't ever cut them. They are made of glass fiber
> > and cutting them is a significant no no.

> Eh, then why is parchment paper in the foil sections sold in "rolls" that
> must be "ripped" by pulling it across the millions of tiny little teeth
> along the edge of the box? Seems like if cutting was dangerous, then the
> above method would be even worse.

There was a poor choice of words in the above. Parchment paper is
not "essentially a disposable silpat," since it clearly is not made from
the same material. It is EFFECTIVELY a disposable silpat (i.e.,
it has the same effect as a silpat, but is disposable), which I believe
is what was intended. You don't cut a silpat because of the fiber
problem mentioned, but obviously cutting paper is no big deal.

Bob M.

notbob

On 2004-08-09, Bob Myers > wrote:

> There was a poor choice of words in the above. Parchment paper is
> not "essentially a disposable silpat," since it clearly is not made from
> the same material. It is EFFECTIVELY a disposable silpat (i.e.,
> it has the same effect as a silpat, but is disposable), which I believe
> is what was intended....

I stand corrected. (I'm not going to be billed for this, am I?

nb

notbob

On 2004-08-09, Bob Myers > wrote:

> There was a poor choice of words in the above. Parchment paper is
> not "essentially a disposable silpat," since it clearly is not made from
> the same material. It is EFFECTIVELY a disposable silpat (i.e.,
> it has the same effect as a silpat, but is disposable), which I believe
> is what was intended....

I stand corrected. (I'm not going to be billed for this, am I?

nb
PENMART01

> notbob writes:
>
>Boob Myers wrote:
>>
>> There was a poor choice of words in the above. Parchment paper is
>> not "essentially a disposable silpat," since it clearly is not made from
>> the same material. It is EFFECTIVELY a disposable silpat (i.e.,
>> it has the same effect as a silpat, but is disposable), which I believe
>> is what was intended....

>I stand corrected. (I'm not going to be billed for this, am I?

Nah, no bill... but you should sue the *******! Essentially and effectively
are synonyms, they both mean fundamentally the same thing, in fact they're both
synonymous with fundamentally.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Kenneth

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 11:18:51 GMT, Damaeus
> wrote:

>Eh, then why is parchment paper in the foil sections sold in "rolls" that
>must be "ripped" by pulling it across the millions of tiny little teeth
>along the edge of the box? Seems like if cutting was dangerous, then the
>above method would be even worse.
>
>Damaeus

Howdy,

That would be because I was referring to the Silpat pads.

'Sorry for any confusion,

--
Kenneth

Kenneth