chef

Default turkey burger

Anybody recomend a good recipee for turkey burgers using up the leg and
thigh meat as am only roasting the crown. what fat to use to let turkey
come through but not over power?
merry xmas
ttfn andy

Katra

chef wrote:

> Anybody recomend a good recipee for turkey burgers using up the leg and
> thigh meat as am only roasting the crown. what fat to use to let turkey
> come through but not over power?
> merry xmas
> ttfn andy

Usually, I mix turkey with 2 parts ground turkey and 1 part ground pork.

Comes out pretty good. :-)

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...s&userid=Katra
Reg

chef wrote:

> Anybody recomend a good recipee for turkey burgers using up the leg and
> thigh meat as am only roasting the crown. what fat to use to let turkey
> come through but not over power?

I like it with pork fat. Of course if you want the flavor to come
through the quality and freshness of the turkey is key.

These recipes can be smoked or not

Smoked Turkey Sausage with Maple and Black Pepper

2 1/2 lb turkey
1/2 lb pork
3/4 lb fat

6 T ground maple
1 T thyme
1 T salt
1 t black pepper
1 t cayenne pepper
1 1/2 C white wine
2 1/2 C ground corn bread

Smoked Turkey Sausage with Fennel and Sage

2 1/2 lb turkey
1/2 lb pork
3/4 lb fat

2 T ground fennel
2 T sage
1 T salt
1 T black pepper
1 t cayenne pepper
1 1/2 C white wine
2 1/2 C ground corn bread

Mark Thorson

chef wrote:

> Anybody recomend a good recipee for turkey burgers using up the leg
> and thigh meat as am only roasting the crown. what fat to use to let
> turkey come through but not over power?

I'm not sure if it satisfies your request not to overpower,
but wrapping it in bacon appeals to me. That would
provide fat and smoky flavor, which is lacking in unadorned
turkey. I've never done it with turkey, but I frequently
used to wrap pieces of chicken breast with soft-cooked
bacon, which I'd put on bamboo skewers and barbeque.

The reason for precooking the bacon was just to get
rid of some of the fat, so it wouldn't flare up too much
when grilled.

Erica

"chef" > wrote in message >...
> Anybody recomend a good recipee for turkey burgers using up the leg and
> thigh meat as am only roasting the crown.

Sure.

Grind your tukey, and for each pound or so, thin 1 Tbs miso with 1 Tbs
water and mix with the meat. I personally like hatchemiso or mamemiso
for this purpose, as they have a natural "meaty" taste. A little Dijon
mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and S&P is a nice addition as well, but
can overpower the miso flavor. Be sparse with the salt, as miso is
quite salty on its own.

--Erica