Kate B

Default Appetizer and Dessert to serve with Osso Buco & Risotto Milanese?

I am making a special dinner tomorrow. Braised veal shanks (osso buco) with
capers, olives, pancetta and gremolata served with Risotto alla Milanese
(saffron risotto). The osso buco recipe I posted last August (probably the
best recipe that I have cobbled together from reading many different recipes
in a long time). I am actually making it right now because it tastes even
better the next day. I am using a classic saffron risotto recipe but both
of these dishes are rather robust and filling. I want to start with an
appetizer that I can serve with a very nice Chardonnay. It needs to be
fairly light given what follows. I am thinking something with smoked salmon
(maybe?) but I don't want the usual smoked salmon on toasted bread etc. Any
thoughts?

As to dessert. I was thinking about serving a warm chocolate tart with
vanilla ice cream. I have a very nice recipe for this and a bunch of
bittersweet Caillebaut that hankers to be used (basically a tart made with
pate sucree and filled with a chocolate ganache lightened a bit with a
beaten egg). I am wondering if this sounds too "heavy" given the main
course. The main course is being served with an exceptional Barolo. I
don't do dessert wines. Would it be more complimentary to serve something
like a lemon tart or would that be too much citrus given the gremolata
(lemon peel, parsley & garlic) topping for the osso buco?

I'm probably agonizing over nothing but it doesn't hurt to ask ;-).

TIA

Kate

The Peters

braised octopus for an appetizer?

"Kate B" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I am making a special dinner tomorrow. Braised veal shanks (osso buco)

with
> capers, olives, pancetta and gremolata served with Risotto alla Milanese
> (saffron risotto). The osso buco recipe I posted last August (probably

the
> best recipe that I have cobbled together from reading many different

recipes
> in a long time). I am actually making it right now because it tastes even
> better the next day. I am using a classic saffron risotto recipe but both
> of these dishes are rather robust and filling. I want to start with an
> appetizer that I can serve with a very nice Chardonnay. It needs to be
> fairly light given what follows. I am thinking something with smoked

salmon
> (maybe?) but I don't want the usual smoked salmon on toasted bread etc.

Any
> thoughts?
>
> As to dessert. I was thinking about serving a warm chocolate tart with
> vanilla ice cream. I have a very nice recipe for this and a bunch of
> bittersweet Caillebaut that hankers to be used (basically a tart made with
> pate sucree and filled with a chocolate ganache lightened a bit with a
> beaten egg). I am wondering if this sounds too "heavy" given the main
> course. The main course is being served with an exceptional Barolo. I
> don't do dessert wines. Would it be more complimentary to serve something
> like a lemon tart or would that be too much citrus given the gremolata
> (lemon peel, parsley & garlic) topping for the osso buco?
>
> I'm probably agonizing over nothing but it doesn't hurt to ask ;-).
>
> TIA
>
> Kate

Kate B

"The Peters" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> braised octopus for an appetizer?

Very helpful! How would you braise an octopus to serve with this meal?
Would it be a *large* octopus or just a simple je ne sais *splat*. You know
the problems with cooking octopus dontcha? Ya either gotta do it fast or do
it real slow otherwise octopi aren't yumalicious. Again, thanks
because it is clear that you are wise beyond your
fatlittlegirl.org years. I hope that we can share recipes in the future and
maybe we can become the very bestest of friends.

Kate

cristina

Kate B wrote:
> It needs to be fairly light given
> what follows. I am thinking something with smoked salmon (maybe?)
> but I don't want the usual smoked salmon on toasted bread etc. Any
> thoughts?

I mix smoked salmon and mascarpone in a food processor and then pipe it into
endive leaves. Light and yummy!

> As to dessert. I was thinking about serving a warm chocolate tart
> with vanilla ice cream. I have a very nice recipe for this and a
> bunch of bittersweet Caillebaut that hankers to be used (basically a
> tart made with pate sucree and filled with a chocolate ganache
> lightened a bit with a beaten egg).

I would do the chocolate! Sounds like a real topper for the meal. >

Cristina
Info on Moving to Italy and Driving in Italy
http://www.cristinasweb.com

Victor Sack

Kate B > wrote:

> I want to start with an
> appetizer that I can serve with a very nice Chardonnay. It needs to be
> fairly light given what follows.

How about a simple preparation of cape sante (scallops)? It is not a
Lombardian dish to match osso buco, to be sure, but it will go very nicely
with a buttery Chardonnay. The recipe is from
<http://www.recipesource.com/main-dishes/seafood/scallops/01/rec0126.html>.

Victor

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02

Title: Scallops Venetian-Style (Cape Sante alla Veneziana)
Categories: Seafood, Italian
Yield: 6 servings

1 1/2 lb Scallops
1/4 c Olive oil
2 Garlic cloves, minced
2 tb Parsley, chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
Juice of 2 lemons

Wash scallops under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels. Heat
oil in a medium skillet. Add scallops, garlic and parsley. Season with
salt and pepper. Cook over medium-low heat 5 to 6 minutes or until
golden. Stir several times during cooking. Add lemon juice and mix
well.
Place on a warm platter. Serve immediately.

Source: Northern Italian Cooking, Biba Caggiano

-----

Kajikit

Kate B saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all
about it on Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:43:35 GMT:

>As to dessert. I was thinking about serving a warm chocolate tart with
>vanilla ice cream. I have a very nice recipe for this and a bunch of
>bittersweet Caillebaut that hankers to be used (basically a tart made with
>pate sucree and filled with a chocolate ganache lightened a bit with a
>beaten egg). I am wondering if this sounds too "heavy" given the main
>course. The main course is being served with an exceptional Barolo. I
>don't do dessert wines. Would it be more complimentary to serve something
>like a lemon tart or would that be too much citrus given the gremolata
>(lemon peel, parsley & garlic) topping for the osso buco?

It's never too rich for chocolate! Sounds like a yummy dinner
(huggles)

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com

When you think of osso buco... Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 114 16-11-2011 05:28 PM
Osso Buco Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 17-01-2008 02:42 AM
The kind of posts we (ok, I am) are missing now: Osso buco TammyM General Cooking 6 22-10-2006 08:49 PM
Risotto alla Milanese Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-03-2005 09:16 PM