Darkginger

Default Sloppy Joes

I was meandering through an online menu (as you do) from Denny's Beer Barrel
pub somewhere in PA, when I noticed 'sloppy joes' listed as an item.
Obviously, every USian knows what these are/this is, but this Brit doesn't
have a clue - anyone care to enlighten me?

Jo

---

Frank Mancuso

Someone else might have a better description, but think of a meat sauce
sandwich. It involved browning hamburger meat loose(not in patties), and
stirring in a little packet of some kind of seasoning mix(Sloppy Joe Mix),
stirring it together, and spoonig it on a hamburger buns. It was quite messy
to eat, hence the name, SLoppy Joe. It was always runnig down one's arms.
"Darkginger" > wrote in message
> I was meandering through an online menu (as you do) from Denny's Beer

Barrel
> pub somewhere in PA, when I noticed 'sloppy joes' listed as an item.
> Obviously, every USian knows what these are/this is, but this Brit doesn't
> have a clue - anyone care to enlighten me?
>
> Jo
>

> ---

Frank Mancuso

Someone else might have a better description, but think of a meat sauce
sandwich. It involved browning hamburger meat loose(not in patties), and
stirring in a little packet of some kind of seasoning mix(Sloppy Joe Mix),
stirring it together, and spoonig it on a hamburger buns. It was quite messy
to eat, hence the name, SLoppy Joe. It was always runnig down one's arms.
"Darkginger" > wrote in message
> I was meandering through an online menu (as you do) from Denny's Beer

Barrel
> pub somewhere in PA, when I noticed 'sloppy joes' listed as an item.
> Obviously, every USian knows what these are/this is, but this Brit doesn't
> have a clue - anyone care to enlighten me?
>
> Jo
>

> ---

Frank Mancuso

Someone else might have a better description, but think of a meat sauce
sandwich. It involved browning hamburger meat loose(not in patties), and
stirring in a little packet of some kind of seasoning mix(Sloppy Joe Mix),
stirring it together, and spoonig it on a hamburger buns. It was quite messy
to eat, hence the name, SLoppy Joe. It was always runnig down one's arms.
"Darkginger" > wrote in message
> I was meandering through an online menu (as you do) from Denny's Beer

Barrel
> pub somewhere in PA, when I noticed 'sloppy joes' listed as an item.
> Obviously, every USian knows what these are/this is, but this Brit doesn't
> have a clue - anyone care to enlighten me?
>
> Jo
>

> ---

Pete Romfh

Darkginger wrote:
> I was meandering through an online menu (as you do) from
> Denny's Beer Barrel pub somewhere in PA, when I noticed
> 'sloppy joes' listed as an item. Obviously, every USian
> knows what these are/this is, but this Brit doesn't have
> a clue - anyone care to enlighten me?
>
> Jo

They are ground beef (mince) in a tangy barbecue (spicy ketchup) sauce
served on hamburger buns or rolls.
Recipe at: http://southernfood.about.com/librar...3/bl30107h.htm

Frequently served as bar (pub) food because they go well with beer. (or ale)

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at hal dash pc dot org

Pete Romfh

Darkginger wrote:
> I was meandering through an online menu (as you do) from
> Denny's Beer Barrel pub somewhere in PA, when I noticed
> 'sloppy joes' listed as an item. Obviously, every USian
> knows what these are/this is, but this Brit doesn't have
> a clue - anyone care to enlighten me?
>
> Jo

They are ground beef (mince) in a tangy barbecue (spicy ketchup) sauce
served on hamburger buns or rolls.
Recipe at: http://southernfood.about.com/librar...3/bl30107h.htm

Frequently served as bar (pub) food because they go well with beer. (or ale)

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at hal dash pc dot org

hahabogus

"Darkginger" > wrote in
:

> I was meandering through an online menu (as you do) from Denny's Beer
> Barrel pub somewhere in PA, when I noticed 'sloppy joes' listed as an
> item. Obviously, every USian knows what these are/this is, but this
> Brit doesn't have a clue - anyone care to enlighten me?
>
> Jo
>

> ---

Take a spaghetti meat sauce (ground beef), a tomato based sauce. And add
serious amounts of ground beef to it. That's a basic description. Of course
there are other things in it...onions,mushrooms, spices etc. This is eaten
heaped over hamburger buns.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
hahabogus

"Darkginger" > wrote in
:

> I was meandering through an online menu (as you do) from Denny's Beer
> Barrel pub somewhere in PA, when I noticed 'sloppy joes' listed as an
> item. Obviously, every USian knows what these are/this is, but this
> Brit doesn't have a clue - anyone care to enlighten me?
>
> Jo
>

> ---

Take a spaghetti meat sauce (ground beef), a tomato based sauce. And add
serious amounts of ground beef to it. That's a basic description. Of course
there are other things in it...onions,mushrooms, spices etc. This is eaten
heaped over hamburger buns.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Darkginger"
> wrote:

> I was meandering through an online menu (as you do) from Denny's Beer
> Barrel pub somewhere in PA, when I noticed 'sloppy joes' listed as an
> item. Obviously, every USian knows what these are/this is, but this
> Brit doesn't have a clue - anyone care to enlighten me?
> Jo

Ground meat (usually beef), with seasoning (onion, garlic, S&P) and a
bit of sauce (usually a tomato-based thing or a barbece sauce). Served
in a toasted buns. Often made to feed a crowd, the meat can be kept hot
in a crockpot.
Here are three links from a Google search (about 17,000):
http://www.dianaskitchen.com/page/recipes03/a31017b.htm
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-...py_joe,FF.html
http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-indexa/arc-2081.htm
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Darkginger > wrote:
> I was meandering through an online menu (as you do) from Denny's Beer Barrel
> pub somewhere in PA, when I noticed 'sloppy joes' listed as an item.
> Obviously, every USian knows what these are/this is, but this Brit doesn't
> have a clue - anyone care to enlighten me?

I am sure if you do a web search for "sloppy joe's" you can find
plenty of recipes for it. Basically, its just sauted mince meat
that's slowly simmered in barbecue sauce and served on hamburger buns.

Darkginger > wrote:
> I was meandering through an online menu (as you do) from Denny's Beer Barrel
> pub somewhere in PA, when I noticed 'sloppy joes' listed as an item.
> Obviously, every USian knows what these are/this is, but this Brit doesn't
> have a clue - anyone care to enlighten me?

I am sure if you do a web search for "sloppy joe's" you can find
plenty of recipes for it. Basically, its just sauted mince meat
that's slowly simmered in barbecue sauce and served on hamburger buns.

Dimitri

"Darkginger" > wrote in message
> I was meandering through an online menu (as you do) from Denny's Beer

Barrel
> pub somewhere in PA, when I noticed 'sloppy joes' listed as an item.
> Obviously, every USian knows what these are/this is, but this Brit doesn't
> have a clue - anyone care to enlighten me?
>
> Jo

1.

Sloppy Joe
A sandwich composed of a split hamburger bun topped with a mixture of cooked
ground beef, onions, green peppers and spicy tomato sauce. The name seems to
be related to its appearance and the fact that it's messy to eat.
© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

2. The bar of the same name where it was invented.
http://www.sloppyjoes.com/history.htm

http://sloppyjoes.com/menu.htm#SANDWICHES

SANDWICHES
The Original Sloppy Joe Sandwich--It made us (and Key West) famous!
Delicious ground beef in a sweet rich tomato sauce, with onions, peppers and
spices $6.95

Dimitri

Dimitri

"Darkginger" > wrote in message
> I was meandering through an online menu (as you do) from Denny's Beer

Barrel
> pub somewhere in PA, when I noticed 'sloppy joes' listed as an item.
> Obviously, every USian knows what these are/this is, but this Brit doesn't
> have a clue - anyone care to enlighten me?
>
> Jo

1.

Sloppy Joe
A sandwich composed of a split hamburger bun topped with a mixture of cooked
ground beef, onions, green peppers and spicy tomato sauce. The name seems to
be related to its appearance and the fact that it's messy to eat.
© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

2. The bar of the same name where it was invented.
http://www.sloppyjoes.com/history.htm

http://sloppyjoes.com/menu.htm#SANDWICHES

SANDWICHES
The Original Sloppy Joe Sandwich--It made us (and Key West) famous!
Delicious ground beef in a sweet rich tomato sauce, with onions, peppers and
spices $6.95

Dimitri

notbob

On 2004-07-28, Frank Mancuso > wrote:

> to eat, hence the name, SLoppy Joe. It was always runnig down one's arms.

LOL!....

You're not supposed to pick it up. It's an open face sandwich. heh heh...

nb
notbob

On 2004-07-28, Frank Mancuso > wrote:

> to eat, hence the name, SLoppy Joe. It was always runnig down one's arms.

LOL!....

You're not supposed to pick it up. It's an open face sandwich. heh heh...

nb

Nancy Young

notbob wrote:

> On 2004-07-28, Frank Mancuso > wrote:
>
> > to eat, hence the name, SLoppy Joe. It was always runnig down one's arms.

> LOL!....
>
> You're not supposed to pick it up. It's an open face sandwich. heh heh...

Are you mad!!!??? Next you'll be telling me you eat closed faced
reubens. My word.

nancy
Nancy Young

notbob wrote:

> On 2004-07-28, Frank Mancuso > wrote:
>
> > to eat, hence the name, SLoppy Joe. It was always runnig down one's arms.

> LOL!....
>
> You're not supposed to pick it up. It's an open face sandwich. heh heh...

Are you mad!!!??? Next you'll be telling me you eat closed faced
reubens. My word.

nancy
Dimitri

"Frank Mancuso" > wrote in message
> Someone else might have a better description, but think of a meat sauce
> sandwich. It involved browning hamburger meat loose(not in patties), and
> stirring in a little packet of some kind of seasoning mix(Sloppy Joe Mix),
> stirring it together, and spoonig it on a hamburger buns. It was quite

messy
> to eat, hence the name, SLoppy Joe. It was always runnig down one's arms.

Actually not. It was named after a Bar in Key West.

"It was Hemingway, a favorite patron of Russell's bar from the start, who
encouraged its name change to Sloppy Joe's. The new name was adopted from
Jose Garcia Rio Havana club selling liquor and iced seafood. Because the
floor was always wet with melted ice, his patrons taunted this Spanish Joe
with running a sloppy place... and the name stuck."

Dimitri

Dimitri

"Frank Mancuso" > wrote in message
> Someone else might have a better description, but think of a meat sauce
> sandwich. It involved browning hamburger meat loose(not in patties), and
> stirring in a little packet of some kind of seasoning mix(Sloppy Joe Mix),
> stirring it together, and spoonig it on a hamburger buns. It was quite

messy
> to eat, hence the name, SLoppy Joe. It was always runnig down one's arms.

Actually not. It was named after a Bar in Key West.

"It was Hemingway, a favorite patron of Russell's bar from the start, who
encouraged its name change to Sloppy Joe's. The new name was adopted from
Jose Garcia Rio Havana club selling liquor and iced seafood. Because the
floor was always wet with melted ice, his patrons taunted this Spanish Joe
with running a sloppy place... and the name stuck."

Dimitri

Nancy Young

Dimitri wrote:

> The Original Sloppy Joe Sandwich--It made us (and Key West) famous!
> Delicious ground beef in a sweet rich tomato sauce, with onions, peppers and
> spices $6.95

I sure wouldn't slap someone who handed me one. Haven't had one in
a really long time. Isn't Manwich a canned sloppy joe?

I could also go for a Jewish sloppy joe. Three slices of thin rye,
a layer of turkey, a layer of roast beef, cole slaw and russian
dressing. Good eatin. Like a club sandwich.

nancy

Nancy Young

Dimitri wrote:

> The Original Sloppy Joe Sandwich--It made us (and Key West) famous!
> Delicious ground beef in a sweet rich tomato sauce, with onions, peppers and
> spices $6.95

I sure wouldn't slap someone who handed me one. Haven't had one in
a really long time. Isn't Manwich a canned sloppy joe?

I could also go for a Jewish sloppy joe. Three slices of thin rye,
a layer of turkey, a layer of roast beef, cole slaw and russian
dressing. Good eatin. Like a club sandwich.

nancy
notbob

On 2004-07-28, Nancy Young > wrote:

> Are you mad!!!??? Next you'll be telling me you eat closed faced
> reubens. My word.

Hey! ...wait a minute... I do!

nb
notbob

On 2004-07-28, Nancy Young > wrote:

> Are you mad!!!??? Next you'll be telling me you eat closed faced
> reubens. My word.

Hey! ...wait a minute... I do!

nb
Nancy Young

notbob wrote:

> On 2004-07-28, Nancy Young > wrote:
>
> > Are you mad!!!??? Next you'll be telling me you eat closed faced
> > reubens. My word.

> Hey! ...wait a minute... I do!

Hold on, I'll be okay in a minute. Okay, okay. I feel better now.

Gawd, some people's kids.

nancy
Nancy Young

notbob wrote:

> On 2004-07-28, Nancy Young > wrote:
>
> > Are you mad!!!??? Next you'll be telling me you eat closed faced
> > reubens. My word.

> Hey! ...wait a minute... I do!

Hold on, I'll be okay in a minute. Okay, okay. I feel better now.

Gawd, some people's kids.

nancy

notbob

On 2004-07-28, Nancy Young > wrote:

> a really long time. Isn't Manwich a canned sloppy joe?

Kinda. It's a can of the sauce. Just add loose fried ground beef. I tried
it once and it's pretty good. It's true to the sloppy joes we
used to get in our grammer school cafeteria when I was a kid and school
cafeterias actually served real food. Sloppy joe's were always a
rainy day favorite.

nb
notbob

On 2004-07-28, Nancy Young > wrote:

> Gawd, some people's kids.

Hey, I don't dare let her become complacent. Somebody's gotta take
responsibility.

nb
notbob

On 2004-07-28, Nancy Young > wrote:

> Gawd, some people's kids.

Hey, I don't dare let her become complacent. Somebody's gotta take
responsibility.

nb
Kate Connally

notbob wrote:

> On 2004-07-28, Frank Mancuso > wrote:
>
> > to eat, hence the name, SLoppy Joe. It was always runnig down one's arms.

> LOL!....
>
> You're not supposed to pick it up. It's an open face sandwich. heh heh...

No, it's not. Never ever seen or heard of anyone eating them
as open-faced sandwiches. The best part is the mess.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

notbob wrote:

> On 2004-07-28, Frank Mancuso > wrote:
>
> > to eat, hence the name, SLoppy Joe. It was always runnig down one's arms.

> LOL!....
>
> You're not supposed to pick it up. It's an open face sandwich. heh heh...

No, it's not. Never ever seen or heard of anyone eating them
as open-faced sandwiches. The best part is the mess.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Darkginger

Thanks to all re the explanation of sloppy joes - from what I've read, if I
made a spaghetti meat sauce, and poured it into a sandwich, I'd have a
sloppy joe - is this right? Can't say it's very appealling, but one day when
I'm drunk - who knows?

Jo

---

Nancy Young > wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:

>> The Original Sloppy Joe Sandwich--It made us (and Key West) famous!
>> Delicious ground beef in a sweet rich tomato sauce, with onions, peppers and
>> spices $6.95

> I sure wouldn't slap someone who handed me one. Haven't had one in
> a really long time. Isn't Manwich a canned sloppy joe?

Yes.

> I could also go for a Jewish sloppy joe. Three slices of thin rye,
> a layer of turkey, a layer of roast beef, cole slaw and russian
> dressing. Good eatin. Like a club sandwich.

Enjoy.

Nancy Young > wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:

>> The Original Sloppy Joe Sandwich--It made us (and Key West) famous!
>> Delicious ground beef in a sweet rich tomato sauce, with onions, peppers and
>> spices $6.95

> I sure wouldn't slap someone who handed me one. Haven't had one in
> a really long time. Isn't Manwich a canned sloppy joe?

Yes.

> I could also go for a Jewish sloppy joe. Three slices of thin rye,
> a layer of turkey, a layer of roast beef, cole slaw and russian
> dressing. Good eatin. Like a club sandwich.

Enjoy.

Saerah

Nancy Young wrote in message >...
>Dimitri wrote:
>
>> The Original Sloppy Joe Sandwich--It made us (and Key West) famous!
>> Delicious ground beef in a sweet rich tomato sauce, with onions, peppers

and
>> spices $6.95

>I sure wouldn't slap someone who handed me one. Haven't had one in
>a really long time. Isn't Manwich a canned sloppy joe?

you mix ground beef with manwich IIRC. won't touch the stuff myself. husband
wants me to buy it. yeech.

>I could also go for a Jewish sloppy joe. Three slices of thin rye,
>a layer of turkey, a layer of roast beef, cole slaw and russian
>dressing. Good eatin. Like a club sandwich.
>
>nancy

Saerah

Nancy Young wrote in message >...
>Dimitri wrote:
>
>> The Original Sloppy Joe Sandwich--It made us (and Key West) famous!
>> Delicious ground beef in a sweet rich tomato sauce, with onions, peppers

and
>> spices $6.95

>I sure wouldn't slap someone who handed me one. Haven't had one in
>a really long time. Isn't Manwich a canned sloppy joe?

you mix ground beef with manwich IIRC. won't touch the stuff myself. husband
wants me to buy it. yeech.

>I could also go for a Jewish sloppy joe. Three slices of thin rye,
>a layer of turkey, a layer of roast beef, cole slaw and russian
>dressing. Good eatin. Like a club sandwich.
>
>nancy

K. Reece

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> notbob wrote:
> >
> > On 2004-07-28, Frank Mancuso > wrote:
> >
> > > to eat, hence the name, SLoppy Joe. It was always runnig down one's

arms.

> > LOL!....
> >
> > You're not supposed to pick it up. It's an open face sandwich. heh

heh...

> No, it's not. Never ever seen or heard of anyone eating them
> as open-faced sandwiches. The best part is the mess.
>
> Kate

When my husband eats a sloppy joe it's an open faced sandwich. Now you've
heard of someone eating them as open faced sandwiches. So yes, it can be an
open faced sandwich.

Kathy

K. Reece

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> notbob wrote:
> >
> > On 2004-07-28, Frank Mancuso > wrote:
> >
> > > to eat, hence the name, SLoppy Joe. It was always runnig down one's

arms.

> > LOL!....
> >
> > You're not supposed to pick it up. It's an open face sandwich. heh

heh...

> No, it's not. Never ever seen or heard of anyone eating them
> as open-faced sandwiches. The best part is the mess.
>
> Kate

When my husband eats a sloppy joe it's an open faced sandwich. Now you've
heard of someone eating them as open faced sandwiches. So yes, it can be an
open faced sandwich.

Kathy

kilikini

"Darkginger" > wrote in message
> Thanks to all re the explanation of sloppy joes - from what I've read, if

> made a spaghetti meat sauce, and poured it into a sandwich, I'd have a
> sloppy joe - is this right? Can't say it's very appealling, but one day

when
> I'm drunk - who knows?
>
> Jo
>

> ---

In all honesty, I think the best thing about growing up and becoming an
adult able to cook for myself was no more meatloaf OR sloppy joes! Horrid,
horrid food. UGH. My mom would make me sit and sit and sit at the table
until I ate that stuff. It was a battle of wills.

kili

kilikini

"Darkginger" > wrote in message
> Thanks to all re the explanation of sloppy joes - from what I've read, if

> made a spaghetti meat sauce, and poured it into a sandwich, I'd have a
> sloppy joe - is this right? Can't say it's very appealling, but one day

when
> I'm drunk - who knows?
>
> Jo
>

> ---

In all honesty, I think the best thing about growing up and becoming an
adult able to cook for myself was no more meatloaf OR sloppy joes! Horrid,
horrid food. UGH. My mom would make me sit and sit and sit at the table
until I ate that stuff. It was a battle of wills.

kili

Do You Like Sloppy Joes? Judy Haffner General Cooking 42 10-03-2012 05:35 PM
Sloppy Joes Curtis[_2_] General Cooking 78 17-04-2009 08:16 AM
Sloppy Joes D.Currie General Cooking 48 01-07-2006 04:21 PM
Sloppy Joes Duckie ® Recipes 0 29-10-2005 03:33 PM
Sloppy Joes Joshuall General Cooking 9 15-09-2004 10:16 PM