FoodBanter.com

-   -   Japanese Steak House Rice (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/29183-japanese-steak-house-rice.html)

Bunny McElwee 26-07-2004 12:37 AM

Japanese Steak House Rice

My husband loves the "Big Block" of rice you get when you go to one of
those Japanese Steak house restaurants (like Myobi's, Kyoto's, Yokoso's,
etc) where they cook on the big grill in front of you. I'm curious as to
how they make this rice and what kind of rice they use? Seems like simple
ingredients, rice, some sort of flavoring sauce (Maybe soy?) and usually
sesame seeds (at our restaurants, placed on the big block of rice in a
smiley face pattern). Any recipes out there for this type of rice as well
as how to cook the rice they use for this dish?

--
Bunny McElwee
President, Lowcountry Miata Club

1991 Mariner Blue with Red & White Stripes
"BlueFlash"

Dimitri 27-07-2004 12:18 AM

Japanese Steak House Rice

"Bunny McElwee" > wrote in message
> My husband loves the "Big Block" of rice you get when you go to one of
> those Japanese Steak house restaurants (like Myobi's, Kyoto's, Yokoso's,
> etc) where they cook on the big grill in front of you. I'm curious as to
> how they make this rice and what kind of rice they use? Seems like simple
> ingredients, rice, some sort of flavoring sauce (Maybe soy?) and usually
> sesame seeds (at our restaurants, placed on the big block of rice in a
> smiley face pattern). Any recipes out there for this type of rice as well
> as how to cook the rice they use for this dish?
>
> --
> Bunny McElwee
> President, Lowcountry Miata Club
> www.lowcountrymiataclub.net
>
> 1991 Mariner Blue with Red & White Stripes
> "BlueFlash"

Is this what you are looking for?

Dimitri

Top Secret Recipes version of
Benihana® Japanese Fried Rice

When 20-year-old Rocky Aoki came to the New York City from Japan with his
wrestling team in 1959 he was convinced it was the land of opportunity. Just
five years later he took $10,000 he had saved plus another $20,000 that he
borrowed to open a Benihana steakhouse on the West side of Manhattan. His
concept of bringing the chefs out from the back kitchen to prepare the food
in front of customers on a specially designed hibachi grill was
groundbreaking. The restaurant was such a smashing success that it paid for
itself within six months.
Here's a clone recipe for the fried rice at Banihana that is prepared by
chefs with pre-cooked rice on those open hibachi grills.

4 cups cooked converted or parboiled rice (1 cup uncooked)
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
2 tablespoons finely grated carrot
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup diced onion (1/2 small onion)
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons soy sauce
salt
pepper

1. Cook rice following instructions on package (Bring 2 cups water to a
boil, add rice and a dash of salt, reduce heat and simmer in covered
saucepan for 20 minutes). Pour rice into a large bowl to let it cool in the
refrigerator.
2. Scramble the eggs in a small pan over medium heat. Separate the scrambled
chunks of egg into small pea-size bits while cooking.
3. When rice has cooled to near room temperature, add peas, grated carrot,
scrambled egg and diced onion to the bowl. Carefully toss all of the
ingredients together.
4. Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter in a large frying pan over medium/high
heat.
5. When butter has completely melted, dump the bowl of rice and other
ingredients into the pan and add soy sauce plus a dash of salt and pepper.
Cook rice for 6-8 minutes over heat, stirring often.
(http://www.topsecretrecipes.com)
Serves 4.

Jaron Ridgeway Hendrix 27-07-2004 04:12 AM

Japanese Steak House Rice

Bunny McElwee > wrote:
> My husband loves the "Big Block" of rice you get when you go to one of
> those Japanese Steak house restaurants (like Myobi's, Kyoto's, Yokoso's,
> etc) where they cook on the big grill in front of you. I'm curious as to
> how they make this rice and what kind of rice they use? Seems like simple
> ingredients, rice, some sort of flavoring sauce (Maybe soy?) and usually
> sesame seeds (at our restaurants, placed on the big block of rice in a
> smiley face pattern). Any recipes out there for this type of rice as well
> as how to cook the rice they use for this dish?

> --
> Bunny McElwee
> President, Lowcountry Miata Club
> www.lowcountrymiataclub.net

> 1991 Mariner Blue with Red & White Stripes
> "BlueFlash"

The main thing here is that the rice is short-grain or "sticky" rice. You
can buy this in most grocery stores (frequently labeled as sushi rice).
The most important thing you can do in preparation is rinse the rice
extremely well in cold water before cooking.

Usually I add a little soy sauce at the end of cooking, and mix sesame
seeds into the rice as well.

--
Jaron "Ronamo" Hendrix
Email:

Levelwave© 27-07-2004 04:45 AM

Japanese Steak House Rice

Bunny McElwee wrote:

> My husband loves the "Big Block" of rice you get when you go to one of
> those Japanese Steak house restaurants (like Myobi's, Kyoto's, Yokoso's,
> etc) where they cook on the big grill in front of you. I'm curious as to
> how they make this rice and what kind of rice they use? Seems like simple
> ingredients, rice, some sort of flavoring sauce (Maybe soy?) and usually
> sesame seeds (at our restaurants, placed on the big block of rice in a
> smiley face pattern). Any recipes out there for this type of rice as well
> as how to cook the rice they use for this dish?

I'll go ahead and save you some trouble. You're NEVER going to get that
same flavor at home... even with the Benihana recipes. The grill imparts
a certain flavor that can't really be replicated at home... though a
high-heat wok can give satisfactory results. Here's some tips

Use day old rice - 1 cup of water per cup of short grained rice rinsed
well. You don't want your rice sticky.

Don't go crazy with the soy sauce - add towards the end AFTER the rice
is nice and toasted - use lots of salt 'n peppa

Add sesame seeds

Sneak a little MSG in there somewhere

Use butter as your fat - a lot of it

Cook rice in wok over high-heat for longer than you'd think before
adding soy sauce... you want to get that 'grill flavor' into the rice as
best as you can. It takes time.

The best thing about these places are the dipping sauces... try here

http://www.levelwave.com/recipes/Benihana.txt

~john

Levelwave© 27-07-2004 04:45 AM

Japanese Steak House Rice

Jaron Ridgeway Hendrix 27-07-2004 07:21 AM

Japanese Steak House Rice

Levelwave? > wrote:
<snip>
> Sneak a little MSG in there somewhere

<snip>

> ~john

"Accent" brand food "enlivener" is your best bet for MSG. Not very
expensive, and widely available.

--
Jaron "Ronamo" Hendrix
Email:

Jaron Ridgeway Hendrix 27-07-2004 07:21 AM

Japanese Steak House Rice

<snip>

Mickey Zalusky 28-07-2004 02:21 AM

Japanese Steak House Rice

Dimitri wrote:
> [...]

> 1. Cook rice following instructions on package (Bring 2 cups water to a
> boil, add rice and a dash of salt, reduce heat and simmer in covered
> saucepan for 20 minutes). Pour rice into a large bowl to let it cool in the
> refrigerator.
> 2. Scramble the eggs in a small pan over medium heat. Separate the scrambled
> chunks of egg into small pea-size bits while cooking.
> 3. When rice has cooled to near room temperature, add peas, grated carrot,
> scrambled egg and diced onion to the bowl. Carefully toss all of the
> ingredients together.
> 4. Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter in a large frying pan over medium/high
> heat.
> 5. When butter has completely melted, dump the bowl of rice and other
> ingredients into the pan and add soy sauce plus a dash of salt and pepper.
> Cook rice for 6-8 minutes over heat, stirring often.

Be sure to add some minced garlic too. I believe they do this at Benihana.

Levelwave© 28-07-2004 05:44 AM

Japanese Steak House Rice

Jaron Ridgeway Hendrix wrote:

> "Accent" brand food "enlivener" is your best bet for MSG. Not very
> expensive, and widely available.

I wasn't aware of another brand of MSG available...

~john

sf 28-07-2004 11:23 PM

Japanese Steak House Rice

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 03:12:10 +0000 (UTC), Jaron Ridgeway
Hendrix > wrote:

> Bunny McElwee > wrote:
> > My husband loves the "Big Block" of rice you get when you go to one of
> > those Japanese Steak house restaurants (like Myobi's, Kyoto's, Yokoso's,
> > etc) where they cook on the big grill in front of you. I'm curious as to
> > how they make this rice and what kind of rice they use? Seems like simple
> > ingredients, rice, some sort of flavoring sauce (Maybe soy?) and usually
> > sesame seeds (at our restaurants, placed on the big block of rice in a
> > smiley face pattern). Any recipes out there for this type of rice as well
> > as how to cook the rice they use for this dish?

> > --
> > Bunny McElwee
> > President, Lowcountry Miata Club
> > www.lowcountrymiataclub.net

> > 1991 Mariner Blue with Red & White Stripes
> > "BlueFlash"

> The main thing here is that the rice is short-grain or "sticky" rice. You
> can buy this in most grocery stores (frequently labeled as sushi rice).
> The most important thing you can do in preparation is rinse the rice
> extremely well in cold water before cooking.

I'm not familiar with what Bunny is talking about, but I
find that medium grained rice, made with a minimum of water,
best mimics the "sticky" rice found in regular (not teppan)
Japanese restaurants.

sf 28-07-2004 11:23 PM

Japanese Steak House Rice