Default IN PRAISE OF THE ELECTRIC STOVE

We had an electric stove in our last house. ( no gas service )
During the whole time, I pined for a gas stove.

Now, we have a gas stove in our new house.
I HATE IT !
Turning it on and waiting for that "click-click-click"
Peering under the pot to adjust the flame.
( how "Dark Ages" )
Finding that the small burner ring only heats the mifddle of the pan.
Finding that there's no real <LOW> gas setting.
It's either "Still Too Hot" or "OUT"
and, and Oven BROIL setting thats just a High Temp Bake.

I Miss My Electric Stove !
When I set the dial to "4" I know exactly how much heat I'll get.
When I set the dial to "1", I can play "crock pot"
AND, the large electric ring applies heat to the whole pan !
AND a Broiler that really Broils.

I think I'll be hanging around the appliance stores....
<rj>
Wayne

"<RJ>" > wrote in
:

> We had an electric stove in our last house. ( no gas service )
> During the whole time, I pined for a gas stove.
>
> Now, we have a gas stove in our new house.
> I HATE IT !
> Turning it on and waiting for that "click-click-click"
> Peering under the pot to adjust the flame.
> ( how "Dark Ages" )
> Finding that the small burner ring only heats the mifddle of the pan.
> Finding that there's no real <LOW> gas setting.
> It's either "Still Too Hot" or "OUT"
> and, and Oven BROIL setting thats just a High Temp Bake.
>

> I Miss My Electric Stove !
> When I set the dial to "4" I know exactly how much heat I'll get.
> When I set the dial to "1", I can play "crock pot"
> AND, the large electric ring applies heat to the whole pan !
> AND a Broiler that really Broils.
>
> I think I'll be hanging around the appliance stores....
> <rj>

Not to mention dirty, messy, greater fire hazard, and hotter kitchen.

I've luckily avoided gas stoves but for a brief 3 years out of my life.
I hated every minute of cooking for those 3 years.

Most of my years growing up at home, mom had a gas stove and loved it.
When she finally got an electric stove, she said she never go back.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Wayne

"<RJ>" > wrote in
:

> We had an electric stove in our last house. ( no gas service )
> During the whole time, I pined for a gas stove.
>
> Now, we have a gas stove in our new house.
> I HATE IT !
> Turning it on and waiting for that "click-click-click"
> Peering under the pot to adjust the flame.
> ( how "Dark Ages" )
> Finding that the small burner ring only heats the mifddle of the pan.
> Finding that there's no real <LOW> gas setting.
> It's either "Still Too Hot" or "OUT"
> and, and Oven BROIL setting thats just a High Temp Bake.
>

> I Miss My Electric Stove !
> When I set the dial to "4" I know exactly how much heat I'll get.
> When I set the dial to "1", I can play "crock pot"
> AND, the large electric ring applies heat to the whole pan !
> AND a Broiler that really Broils.
>
> I think I'll be hanging around the appliance stores....
> <rj>

Not to mention dirty, messy, greater fire hazard, and hotter kitchen.

I've luckily avoided gas stoves but for a brief 3 years out of my life.
I hated every minute of cooking for those 3 years.

Most of my years growing up at home, mom had a gas stove and loved it.
When she finally got an electric stove, she said she never go back.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Julia Altshuler

Wayne wrote:

> Not to mention dirty, messy, greater fire hazard, and hotter kitchen.

Is gas really a greater fire hazard than electric?

I've had gas. I've got electric. I want gas again, not the clicky
click kind but a light it with a match kind. If you can't get a low
flame, get someone out there to fix it. The flame should be fully
adjustable.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

Wayne wrote:

> Not to mention dirty, messy, greater fire hazard, and hotter kitchen.

Is gas really a greater fire hazard than electric?

I've had gas. I've got electric. I want gas again, not the clicky
click kind but a light it with a match kind. If you can't get a low
flame, get someone out there to fix it. The flame should be fully
adjustable.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

Wayne wrote:

> Not to mention dirty, messy, greater fire hazard, and hotter kitchen.

Is gas really a greater fire hazard than electric?

I've had gas. I've got electric. I want gas again, not the clicky
click kind but a light it with a match kind. If you can't get a low
flame, get someone out there to fix it. The flame should be fully
adjustable.

--Lia

Wayne

Julia Altshuler > wrote in news:vtFMc.164316
$JR4.156930@attbi_s54:

> Wayne wrote:
>
>> Not to mention dirty, messy, greater fire hazard, and hotter kitchen.

> Is gas really a greater fire hazard than electric?

IMHO, yes. Open flame. If a pot is completely covering an electric
element, there is less chance fire.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Wayne

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
notbob

On 2004-07-25, <RJ> > wrote:

> Now, we have a gas stove in our new house.
> I HATE IT !
> Turning it on and waiting for that "click-click-click"
> Peering under the pot to adjust the flame.
> Finding that the small burner ring only heats the mifddle of the pan.
> Finding that there's no real <LOW> gas setting.
> It's either "Still Too Hot" or "OUT"

LOL!....

I get that when I cook at my daughter place. A couple suggestions:

* heavy metal, like heavy copper bottomed or cast iron, pans will help.

* Check to see if different burner rings are available for your stove

* Check to see if solid metal burner grates are available for your stove.

* Look at some aftermarket gas burner "heat diffuser" options.

As for the broiler, you gotta get those steaks right up there in the radiant
heat zone. The 6-10 inches you're used to with an electric ain't
gonna get it. Put them babies about 2-3 inches from that flame.

nb
Pennyaline

"Wayne" wrote:
> "<RJ>" wrote:
> > We had an electric stove in our last house. ( no gas service )
> > During the whole time, I pined for a gas stove.
> >
> > Now, we have a gas stove in our new house.
> > I HATE IT !

<snippage>

> Not to mention dirty, messy, greater fire hazard, and hotter kitchen.
>
> I've luckily avoided gas stoves but for a brief 3 years out of my life.
> I hated every minute of cooking for those 3 years.
>
> Most of my years growing up at home, mom had a gas stove and loved it.
> When she finally got an electric stove, she said she never go back.

I've been here for more than one of these discussions now and have read the
arguments, and I have to say I still don't see why anyone would want an
electric stove.

You know when a gas burner is on. You know when it's off. Adjust the flame
to fit the pan, rather than stick your pan on one of the limited selection
of sizes for electric heat source available.

Every electric stove I've used has been a monster heat leaker. I mean,
hideous! My gas stoves didn't do that! I could stand over a gas stove
cooking in pans with all burners going and remain unaffected by the roast in
the oven. By contrast, working over an electric is what I imagine
blacksmithing must be like.

And I've had more stove top fires with electric than with gas. If there's a
spill into a burner on a gas stove, just turn off the burner and the problem
is solved. With electric, I've waited several minutes with a pan lid over a
fire waiting for the cooking heat to abate enough to stop frequent
reignitions. Toss baking soda onto a fire on an electric? Might as well just
move out.

As for simmer, turn down the flame to a barely visible blue ring and you'll
simmer for hours without boiling, scorching or dying out.

Pennyaline

"Wayne" wrote:
> "<RJ>" wrote:
> > We had an electric stove in our last house. ( no gas service )
> > During the whole time, I pined for a gas stove.
> >
> > Now, we have a gas stove in our new house.
> > I HATE IT !

<snippage>

> Not to mention dirty, messy, greater fire hazard, and hotter kitchen.
>
> I've luckily avoided gas stoves but for a brief 3 years out of my life.
> I hated every minute of cooking for those 3 years.
>
> Most of my years growing up at home, mom had a gas stove and loved it.
> When she finally got an electric stove, she said she never go back.

I've been here for more than one of these discussions now and have read the
arguments, and I have to say I still don't see why anyone would want an
electric stove.

You know when a gas burner is on. You know when it's off. Adjust the flame
to fit the pan, rather than stick your pan on one of the limited selection
of sizes for electric heat source available.

Every electric stove I've used has been a monster heat leaker. I mean,
hideous! My gas stoves didn't do that! I could stand over a gas stove
cooking in pans with all burners going and remain unaffected by the roast in
the oven. By contrast, working over an electric is what I imagine
blacksmithing must be like.

And I've had more stove top fires with electric than with gas. If there's a
spill into a burner on a gas stove, just turn off the burner and the problem
is solved. With electric, I've waited several minutes with a pan lid over a
fire waiting for the cooking heat to abate enough to stop frequent
reignitions. Toss baking soda onto a fire on an electric? Might as well just
move out.

As for simmer, turn down the flame to a barely visible blue ring and you'll
simmer for hours without boiling, scorching or dying out.

Isaac Wingfield

In article >,
"<RJ>" > wrote:

> We had an electric stove in our last house. ( no gas service )
> During the whole time, I pined for a gas stove.
>
> Now, we have a gas stove in our new house.
> I HATE IT !
> Turning it on and waiting for that "click-click-click"
> Peering under the pot to adjust the flame.
> ( how "Dark Ages" )
> Finding that the small burner ring only heats the mifddle of the pan.
> Finding that there's no real <LOW> gas setting.
> It's either "Still Too Hot" or "OUT"
> and, and Oven BROIL setting thats just a High Temp Bake.
>

> I Miss My Electric Stove !
> When I set the dial to "4" I know exactly how much heat I'll get.
> When I set the dial to "1", I can play "crock pot"
> AND, the large electric ring applies heat to the whole pan !
> AND a Broiler that really Broils.

They don't deliver as many calories as gas (NOT the same as "how hot it
gets"), they don't stop a boilover instantly when you turn down the
heat, they don't heat up instantly when you turn it up,...

There's a good reason why you don't find many electric stoves in
restaurant kitchens.

Isaac
Isaac Wingfield

In article >,
"<RJ>" > wrote:

> We had an electric stove in our last house. ( no gas service )
> During the whole time, I pined for a gas stove.
>
> Now, we have a gas stove in our new house.
> I HATE IT !
> Turning it on and waiting for that "click-click-click"
> Peering under the pot to adjust the flame.
> ( how "Dark Ages" )
> Finding that the small burner ring only heats the mifddle of the pan.
> Finding that there's no real <LOW> gas setting.
> It's either "Still Too Hot" or "OUT"
> and, and Oven BROIL setting thats just a High Temp Bake.
>

> I Miss My Electric Stove !
> When I set the dial to "4" I know exactly how much heat I'll get.
> When I set the dial to "1", I can play "crock pot"
> AND, the large electric ring applies heat to the whole pan !
> AND a Broiler that really Broils.

They don't deliver as many calories as gas (NOT the same as "how hot it
gets"), they don't stop a boilover instantly when you turn down the
heat, they don't heat up instantly when you turn it up,...

There's a good reason why you don't find many electric stoves in
restaurant kitchens.

Isaac
Michael Odom

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 19:18:08 -0700, "<RJ>" >
wrote:

>We had an electric stove in our last house. ( no gas service )
>During the whole time, I pined for a gas stove.
>
>Now, we have a gas stove in our new house.
>I HATE IT !
>Turning it on and waiting for that "click-click-click"
>Peering under the pot to adjust the flame.
>( how "Dark Ages" )
>Finding that the small burner ring only heats the mifddle of the pan.
>Finding that there's no real <LOW> gas setting.
>It's either "Still Too Hot" or "OUT"
>and, and Oven BROIL setting thats just a High Temp Bake.
>

>I Miss My Electric Stove !
>When I set the dial to "4" I know exactly how much heat I'll get.
>When I set the dial to "1", I can play "crock pot"
>AND, the large electric ring applies heat to the whole pan !
>AND a Broiler that really Broils.
>
>I think I'll be hanging around the appliance stores....
><rj>

This is so funny. I recently moved into a 1950s atomic age modern
house with an electric stove. It was one of the few disappointments
of an otherwise fine new home. I had a gas connection installed
behind the stove (good thing, too, since the line back there was
improperly installed). So now I have a new dual fuel stove. Gas on
top and electric down.

The new gas burners are astoundingly versitile. I even have an ultra
low setting that barely warms any pan, and a big ass high burner
that's positively scary on high.

I guess it has to do with what you're used to.

Chacun a son gout.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
richard green

I bought an induction cooktop 2 weeks ago and couldn't be more happy with
it. It's fast, gets really hot and adjusts the temp up and (more
importantly) down very quickly. It goes low enough to melt chocolate or make
custard without having to use a doubleboiler or bainmarie. Drawbacks are the
cost, and the fact that it's only compatible with stainless steel or iron
cookware, but nearly all of my stuff is stainless - and - they threw in $400
worth of stainless steel pots anyway!

Richard.

"<RJ>" > wrote in message
> We had an electric stove in our last house. ( no gas service )
> During the whole time, I pined for a gas stove.
>
> Now, we have a gas stove in our new house.
> I HATE IT !
> Turning it on and waiting for that "click-click-click"
> Peering under the pot to adjust the flame.
> ( how "Dark Ages" )
> Finding that the small burner ring only heats the mifddle of the pan.
> Finding that there's no real <LOW> gas setting.
> It's either "Still Too Hot" or "OUT"
> and, and Oven BROIL setting thats just a High Temp Bake.
>

> I Miss My Electric Stove !
> When I set the dial to "4" I know exactly how much heat I'll get.
> When I set the dial to "1", I can play "crock pot"
> AND, the large electric ring applies heat to the whole pan !
> AND a Broiler that really Broils.
>
> I think I'll be hanging around the appliance stores....
> <rj>

richard green

"<RJ>" > wrote in message
> We had an electric stove in our last house. ( no gas service )
> During the whole time, I pined for a gas stove.
>
> Now, we have a gas stove in our new house.
> I HATE IT !
> Turning it on and waiting for that "click-click-click"
> Peering under the pot to adjust the flame.
> ( how "Dark Ages" )
> Finding that the small burner ring only heats the mifddle of the pan.
> Finding that there's no real <LOW> gas setting.
> It's either "Still Too Hot" or "OUT"
> and, and Oven BROIL setting thats just a High Temp Bake.
>

> I Miss My Electric Stove !
> When I set the dial to "4" I know exactly how much heat I'll get.
> When I set the dial to "1", I can play "crock pot"
> AND, the large electric ring applies heat to the whole pan !
> AND a Broiler that really Broils.
>
> I think I'll be hanging around the appliance stores....
> <rj>

Wayne

"Pennyaline" > wrote in
:

> I've been here for more than one of these discussions now and have
> read the arguments, and I have to say I still don't see why anyone
> would want an electric stove.

I couldn't disagree more and ne're the 'tween shall meet. You and I are
the reason they sell both types.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Wayne

Isaac Wingfield > wrote in news:isw-F4E72F.21244124072004
@netnews.comcast.net:

> They don't deliver as many calories as gas

That's probably a good thing, since I'm always on a perpetual diet!

(NOT the same as "how hot it
> gets"), they don't stop a boilover instantly when you turn down the
> heat, they don't heat up instantly when you turn it up,...

You obviously don't know how to cook on one.

> There's a good reason why you don't find many electric stoves in
> restaurant kitchens.

I don't cook in a restaurant; I cook in my home.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Damsel in dis Dress

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 19:18:08 -0700, "<RJ>" > wrote:

>We had an electric stove in our last house. ( no gas service )
>During the whole time, I pined for a gas stove.
>
>Now, we have a gas stove in our new house.
>I HATE IT !
>Turning it on and waiting for that "click-click-click"
>Peering under the pot to adjust the flame.
>( how "Dark Ages" )
>Finding that the small burner ring only heats the mifddle of the pan.
>Finding that there's no real <LOW> gas setting.
>It's either "Still Too Hot" or "OUT"
>and, and Oven BROIL setting thats just a High Temp Bake.
>
>I Miss My Electric Stove !
>When I set the dial to "4" I know exactly how much heat I'll get.
>When I set the dial to "1", I can play "crock pot"
>AND, the large electric ring applies heat to the whole pan !
>AND a Broiler that really Broils.

All of the above, plus our electric showed a digital display what
temperature the oven had reached at any given point. With the electric, if
you miss the beep, you're wasting gas, and if you assume that you'd missed
the beep, you may be putting your food into an oven that isn't fully
heated. Grrrrrrrrrr!

Carol
PENMART01

Some braggart wrote:

>plus our electric showed a digital display what
>temperature the oven had reached at any given point.

Modern gas stoves do the same. nya-nya

Actually the ONLY meaningful difference is that folks who *opt* for electric
can't cook and those who *opt* for gas can cook[period]

Naturally the vast, vast majority don't opt, they take what the landlord
supplies.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Nancy Young

Wayne wrote:

> "Pennyaline" > wrote in
> :
>
> > I've been here for more than one of these discussions now and have
> > read the arguments, and I have to say I still don't see why anyone
> > would want an electric stove.
> >

> I couldn't disagree more and ne're the 'tween shall meet. You and I are
> the reason they sell both types.

Either that, or the lack of availability of gas in all homes.

Thank goodness I only suffered a short stint with an electric stove.

nancy
zxcvbob

PENMART01 wrote:
> Some braggart wrote:
>
>>plus our electric showed a digital display what
>>temperature the oven had reached at any given point.

> Modern gas stoves do the same. nya-nya
>
> Actually the ONLY meaningful difference is that folks who *opt* for electric
> can't cook and those who *opt* for gas can cook[period]
>
> Naturally the vast, vast majority don't opt, they take what the landlord
> supplies.

I like gas ranges *much* better than electric, and I like electric ovens
a little better than gas. An ideal range would be 36" wide, have a
gas cooktop and electric convection oven. (And a smallish 2nd built-in
electric oven in the kitchen somewhere.)

Best regards,
Bob
Damsel in dis Dress

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:05:18 -0500, zxcvbob > wrote:

>I like gas ranges *much* better than electric, and I like electric ovens
> a little better than gas. An ideal range would be 36" wide, have a
>gas cooktop and electric convection oven. (And a smallish 2nd built-in
>electric oven in the kitchen somewhere.)

Hear-hear! When I win the lottery, I'm getting one!

We have a microwave oven with a built-in broiler, but haven't used the
broiling function yet. I've broiled two things in my whole life. Grilled
(broiled) cheese sandwiches, and two steaks. Can't eat the sandwiches any
more, and I didn't care for the results with the steaks. I'm sure we'll
eventually figure out something to broil.

Carol
Damsel in dis Dress

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:05:18 -0500, zxcvbob > wrote:

>I like gas ranges *much* better than electric, and I like electric ovens
> a little better than gas. An ideal range would be 36" wide, have a
>gas cooktop and electric convection oven. (And a smallish 2nd built-in
>electric oven in the kitchen somewhere.)

Hear-hear! When I win the lottery, I'm getting one!

We have a microwave oven with a built-in broiler, but haven't used the
broiling function yet. I've broiled two things in my whole life. Grilled
(broiled) cheese sandwiches, and two steaks. Can't eat the sandwiches any
more, and I didn't care for the results with the steaks. I'm sure we'll
eventually figure out something to broil.

Carol
Wayne

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:05:18 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>>I like gas ranges *much* better than electric, and I like electric
>>ovens
>> a little better than gas. An ideal range would be 36" wide, have a
>>gas cooktop and electric convection oven. (And a smallish 2nd
>>built-in electric oven in the kitchen somewhere.)

> Hear-hear! When I win the lottery, I'm getting one!
>
> We have a microwave oven with a built-in broiler, but haven't used the
> broiling function yet. I've broiled two things in my whole life.
> Grilled (broiled) cheese sandwiches, and two steaks. Can't eat the
> sandwiches any more, and I didn't care for the results with the
> steaks. I'm sure we'll eventually figure out something to broil.
>
> Carol

Carol, you can broil/grill many vegetables. Lightly brush with olive or
vegetable oil and season the way you like. They're delicious.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Damsel in dis Dress

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 18:05:02 GMT, Wayne > wrote:

>Carol, you can broil/grill many vegetables. Lightly brush with olive or
>vegetable oil and season the way you like. They're delicious.

I never thought of that! Thanks for the tip!

Carol
Damsel in dis Dress

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 18:05:02 GMT, Wayne > wrote:

>Carol, you can broil/grill many vegetables. Lightly brush with olive or
>vegetable oil and season the way you like. They're delicious.

I never thought of that! Thanks for the tip!

Carol
hahabogus

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:05:18 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>>I like gas ranges *much* better than electric, and I like electric
>>ovens
>> a little better than gas. An ideal range would be 36" wide, have a
>>gas cooktop and electric convection oven. (And a smallish 2nd
>>built-in electric oven in the kitchen somewhere.)

> Hear-hear! When I win the lottery, I'm getting one!
>
> We have a microwave oven with a built-in broiler, but haven't used the
> broiling function yet. I've broiled two things in my whole life.
> Grilled (broiled) cheese sandwiches, and two steaks. Can't eat the
> sandwiches any more, and I didn't care for the results with the
> steaks. I'm sure we'll eventually figure out something to broil.
>
> Carol

Broil Asperagus...first rub it in Olive oil (or canola) then liberally
salt. No need of sauces, fast and quite tasty. (Broiling is kinda like
grilling but upside down and in the house). Broil shrimp, or any other
seafood. Broiled burgers are good. YMMV.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
hahabogus

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:05:18 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>>I like gas ranges *much* better than electric, and I like electric
>>ovens
>> a little better than gas. An ideal range would be 36" wide, have a
>>gas cooktop and electric convection oven. (And a smallish 2nd
>>built-in electric oven in the kitchen somewhere.)

> Hear-hear! When I win the lottery, I'm getting one!
>
> We have a microwave oven with a built-in broiler, but haven't used the
> broiling function yet. I've broiled two things in my whole life.
> Grilled (broiled) cheese sandwiches, and two steaks. Can't eat the
> sandwiches any more, and I didn't care for the results with the
> steaks. I'm sure we'll eventually figure out something to broil.
>
> Carol

Broil Asperagus...first rub it in Olive oil (or canola) then liberally
salt. No need of sauces, fast and quite tasty. (Broiling is kinda like
grilling but upside down and in the house). Broil shrimp, or any other
seafood. Broiled burgers are good. YMMV.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
Nancy Young

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:57:07 -0400, Nancy Young >
> wrote:

> >Mine tells the temp. Gas oven, that is.

> You can set your oven for 350, and it'll show when it's 265, 310, etc.?

Yes, exactly. But it doesn't beep when it's ready. You just look.
How about an el cheapo oven thermometer?

nancy

Nancy Young

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:57:07 -0400, Nancy Young >
> wrote:

> >Mine tells the temp. Gas oven, that is.

> You can set your oven for 350, and it'll show when it's 265, 310, etc.?

Yes, exactly. But it doesn't beep when it's ready. You just look.
How about an el cheapo oven thermometer?

nancy
Wayne

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 18:05:02 GMT, Wayne > wrote:
>
>>Carol, you can broil/grill many vegetables. Lightly brush with olive or
>>vegetable oil and season the way you like. They're delicious.

> I never thought of that! Thanks for the tip!
>
> Carol

You're very welcome. For some ideas, Google has lots of hits for "broiled
vegetables" and "grilled vegetables". We like zuccchini, yellow summer
squash, eggplant, peppers, mushrooms. Portobellos work well, too, and can
be a good substitute in a meatless meal. Marinades are great, as well as
just the oil and seasonings I mentioned.

Enjoy!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Wayne

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 18:05:02 GMT, Wayne > wrote:
>
>>Carol, you can broil/grill many vegetables. Lightly brush with olive or
>>vegetable oil and season the way you like. They're delicious.

> I never thought of that! Thanks for the tip!
>
> Carol

You're very welcome. For some ideas, Google has lots of hits for "broiled
vegetables" and "grilled vegetables". We like zuccchini, yellow summer
squash, eggplant, peppers, mushrooms. Portobellos work well, too, and can
be a good substitute in a meatless meal. Marinades are great, as well as
just the oil and seasonings I mentioned.

Enjoy!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Damsel in dis Dress

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:24:17 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:57:07 -0400, Nancy Young >
>> wrote:

>> >Mine tells the temp. Gas oven, that is.

>> You can set your oven for 350, and it'll show when it's 265, 310, etc.?

>Yes, exactly. But it doesn't beep when it's ready. You just look.
>How about an el cheapo oven thermometer?

There ya go! At least we'll be able to tell whether we missed the beep or
not.

Carol
Damsel in dis Dress

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 18:33:06 GMT, Wayne > wrote:

>You're very welcome. For some ideas, Google has lots of hits for "broiled
>vegetables" and "grilled vegetables". We like zuccchini, yellow summer
>squash, eggplant, peppers, mushrooms. Portobellos work well, too, and can
>be a good substitute in a meatless meal. Marinades are great, as well as
>just the oil and seasonings I mentioned.

Wayne, you're making me hungry! I have 2/3 of a red pepper in the freezer.
I'll probably give that a try.

Carol