Pork "Sauerbraten"????

Old 18-12-2003, 10:37 PM
Kate Connally
Usenet poster

Default Pork "Sauerbraten"????

Hi,
I wonder if there is such a thing as sauerbraten
made with pork instead of beef. I vaguely recall
possibly having seen such a recipe ages ago, but
I might be hallucinating. Anyway, I'm having friends
for dinner over the holidays and one of them doesn't
eat beef. After going through dozens of recipes I
came across my sauerbraten recipe and had an intense
craving for it. So, I was thinking, couldn't you
maybe make something similar with pork? Probably
wouldn't be called sauerbraten though, then again it
might. Not quite sure what the "braten" part means.
Anyway, does anyone out there have a recipe or has
anyone ever heard of it? If I thought it would
work (that is, not taste sucky) I would just make
it according to my sauerbraten recipe. Help!
Friday, December 19th, tomorrow, is my last day
at work and at the computer until January 5 so it
I can get a response before 5pm EST tomorrow it would
be great. If not I'll have to decide whether or not
to experiment with it on my own. P.S. I've already
googled it and haven't yet come up with anything.
TIA,
Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Old 18-12-2003, 11:16 PM
Victor Sack
Usenet poster

Kate Connally wrote:

I wonder if there is such a thing as sauerbraten
made with pork instead of beef.

Yes, in the Eifel region they make it with pork. BTW, I wonder why you
think sauerbraten has to be made with beef. Here in the Rhineland, it
traditionally used to be been made with horse meat and this is still
often enough the case.

Feel free to use your favourite sauerbraten recipe, substituting lean
pork for the meat it calls for.

Not quite sure what the "braten" part means.

'Roast', including 'pot roast'.

Victor
Old 18-12-2003, 11:36 PM
Scott Taylor
Usenet poster

"Kate Connally" wrote in message
[...]

Sure, pork makes great sauerbraten. I'd use a boneless pork shoulder, since
it contains some fat, and won't get all dried out in the long braising
process. It might take less cooking time than beef, so watch and test it
often towards the end of the cooking. When a fork pierces the meat easily,
it's done.

-Scott

Old 18-12-2003, 11:45 PM
Greykits
Usenet poster

Kate Connally wrote:

I wonder if there is such a thing as sauerbraten
made with pork instead of beef.

Yes, in the Eifel region they make it with pork. BTW, I wonder why you
think sauerbraten has to be made with beef. Here in the Rhineland, it
traditionally used to be been made with horse meat and this is still
often enough the case.

Feel free to use your favourite sauerbraten recipe, substituting lean
pork for the meat it calls for.

Not quite sure what the "braten" part means.

'Roast', including 'pot roast'.

Victor

This is interesting. Would one use a lighter wine than a red for it? A pork
saurbraten sounds sort of good to me. I've only made this dish at home, so I
don't know how to compare it with the best. It seems that the pork version
would go especially well with some cabbage.

I had friends with odd taste. One guy wouldn't eat beef but ate pork. If he
were still here I would gladly make him a pork sauerbraten instead of beef.

Svakas, Bubba!
rharps.com
Old 19-12-2003, 02:22 AM
Jack Schidt®
Usenet poster

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:37:09 -0500, Kate Connally
wrote:

Anyway, I'm having friends for dinner over the holidays and one of them

doesn't
eat beef.

I don't change my whole lineup for someone who doesn't eat beef for
some sort phobia or moral reason. I've never heard of a beef allergy.
Any aversion this person has to beef must be a phobia of some sort.

If I think my guests would apprecaite good beef, I'd cook beef, and to
hell with anyone who won't eat it. Trying to make sauerbraten from
pork is going way too far out the way to accomodate this single
person.

Bullshit, amigo. Sauerbraten can be made with pork anytime. Just make sure
there's red cabbage around.

Jack Dish

Old 19-12-2003, 02:22 AM
Jack Schidt®
Usenet poster

[...]

Why not? The beauty of using pork for sauerbraten is...ya don't hafta
'lard' it.
Jack Braten

Old 19-12-2003, 02:57 AM
kilikini
Usenet poster

My family has been making a dish with pork butt and sauerkraut for years!
It's not technically a sauerbraten, but it's really tasty.

I always "wing" it, but this is how I do it...

I get a pork butt and throw it into a crock pot with a jar of sauerkraut,
and a chopped apple. Toss in about 1/4 cup of white dry wine and let it go
all day.

It's done when the pork shreds with a fork.

Easy but, oh, so good!

kilikini

Old 19-12-2003, 07:18 AM
zxcvbob
Usenet poster

Greykits wrote:
Kate Connally wrote:

[...]

I think a Gewürztraminer (sp?) would be good. German beer (I like
Warsteiner) is obvious, or how about a Belgian ale?

That leftover bottle of Beaujolais nouveau might be an OK red wine.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 19-12-2003, 11:24 AM
Jack Schidt®
Usenet poster

"kilikini" wrote in message
My family has been making a dish with pork butt and sauerkraut for years!
It's not technically a sauerbraten, but it's really tasty.

I always "wing" it, but this is how I do it...

I get a pork butt and throw it into a crock pot with a jar of sauerkraut,
and a chopped apple. Toss in about 1/4 cup of white dry wine and let it

go
all day.

It's done when the pork shreds with a fork.

Easy but, oh, so good!

kilikini

It's delicious but it's not sauerbraten. That's just roast pork round here.
Sauerbraten is marinaded for days and then cooked.

Jack Pecksnifferoni

Old 19-12-2003, 11:54 AM
Jack Schidt®
Usenet poster

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 01:22:41 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
wrote:

"Steve Wertz" wrote

Trying to make sauerbraten from
pork is going way too far out the way to accomodate this single
person.

Bullshit, amigo. Sauerbraten can be made with pork anytime.

It would *not* be sauerbraten. I can make a ribeye roast from pork as
well.

haha, welcome to the variations in German cuisine. Every region has its own
version of sauerbraten. My dad has said beef was not always available, so
pork and even horse meat was used and it was still considered sauerbraten.
I myself have made it with venison, which is arguably closer to beef than
the other meats. Sauerbraten = 'sour roast'.

I know, stunning to see variation and German in the same sentence. We like
order und organization.

Just for giggles I looked for recipes for pork sauerbraten or
saurbraten pork... nada.

I'm all for a pork roast slow-cooked in sauerkraut, though.

For me, it rarely gets better than that.

Jack Puercomaniac

Old 19-12-2003, 02:28 PM
Dave W.
Usenet poster

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 01:22:41 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
wrote:

"Steve Wertz" wrote

Trying to make sauerbraten from
pork is going way too far out the way to accomodate this single
person.

Bullshit, amigo. Sauerbraten can be made with pork anytime.

It would *not* be sauerbraten. I can make a ribeye roast from pork as
well.

Just for giggles I looked for recipes for pork sauerbraten or
saurbraten pork... nada.

I'm all for a pork roast slow-cooked in sauerkraut, though.

-sw

"The German Cookbook" (by Mimi Sheraton) says to follow her Marinated
Pot Roast recipe (Rheinischer Sauerbraten) using any boned and rolled
roasting cut of pork. She says red wine is often substituted for
vineger, ommiting pickling spices or cloves in the marinade. She calls
it Pork Sauerbraten. Maybe you could call it "Schweinesauerbraten?"
I don't know ... the only thing German about me is my name. But Victor
Sack knows, I bet.

Regards,
Dave W.

--
In the Ozarks. Dot edu will do for email.
Old 19-12-2003, 04:58 PM
Nancy Young
Usenet poster

"Jack Schidt®" wrote:

It's delicious but it's not sauerbraten. That's just roast pork round here.
Sauerbraten is marinaded for days and then cooked.

I have a recipe for sauerbraten that I *will* make in the new year.
It marinates for 5 days. Unfortunately, I have the recipe but not
how long or how to roast it. Guess I'll be checking out various
recipes in order to get a consensus on that.

I have put off making it because I know it will not be as good as
the sauerbraten in the cafeteria where I used to work. That sounds
like a joke, but it's not. Some retired marine was the chef, and he
wouldn't give out the recipe. Dang him. But when sauerbraten was
on the menu, be there when the doors opened or it's, you snooze, you
lose.

nancy
Old 19-12-2003, 07:45 PM
Kate Connally
Usenet poster

wrote:

Anyway, I'm having friends for dinner over the holidays and one of them doesn't
eat beef.

I don't change my whole lineup for someone who doesn't eat beef for
some sort phobia or moral reason. I've never heard of a beef allergy.
Any aversion this person has to beef must be a phobia of some sort.

No, I don't either, but this is a special case and I'm making
this dinner especially for this person. Normally I think of
what I want to make - for *me* - and if people don't like it
too bad. ;-) Anyway, of course, it's not an allergy or anything.
She just doesn't eat beef or lamb (don't know about goat, venison,
etc.). That's her perogative. Her mother, who is also coming, also
does not eat beef or lamb, etc., and currently is on a vegetarian
diet. I am not making any concessions for her. She can either eat
the pork (which she will probably do, she likes pork) or just eat
the other dishes. She knows there's no way I'm going to cook
vegetarian. I like meat. And the other thing is that pork is
my favorite meat anyway - and much cheaper than beef - so it will
be an interesting experiment to see how pork sauerbraten turns out.

If I think my guests would apprecaite good beef, I'd cook beef, and to
hell with anyone who won't eat it. Trying to make sauerbraten from
pork is going way too far out the way to accomodate this single
person.

Actually, it turns out my panic yesterday was all for nought.
When I got home I looked through my German cookbooks thinking
to find another pork recipe and lo and behold there it was! -
the very same recipe I always use for regular sauerbrated
actually said ". . . or pork shoulder"!!!! I couldn't believe
it! I must have registered it subconsciously but never knew
at a conscious level that pork was mentioned as an alternative
meat in the recipe. I've been making that recipe for 30 year!

So, as Roseanne Roseannadanna would have said, "Nevermind."

Kate

Old 19-12-2003, 07:49 PM
Kate Connally
Usenet poster

Victor Sack wrote:

Kate Connally wrote:

I wonder if there is such a thing as sauerbraten
made with pork instead of beef.

Yes, in the Eifel region they make it with pork. BTW, I wonder why you
think sauerbraten has to be made with beef. Here in the Rhineland, it
traditionally used to be been made with horse meat and this is still
often enough the case.

Well, that would be because all my German cookbooks
call for using beef and all the recipes I have come
across on the web call for beef. And even if some of
them called for horse I wouldn't make it or would
substitute beef. I don't want to eat horse.

Feel free to use your favourite sauerbraten recipe, substituting lean
pork for the meat it calls for.

Actually found out when I got home that my regular recipe
calls for pork as an alternative. Never really registered
with me before. It's the Sauerbraten auf Nordischer Art -
marinated in buttermilk and then cooked with red wine,
red wine vinegar, juniper berries, etc.

Not quite sure what the "braten" part means.

'Roast', including 'pot roast'.

Aha. Good to know. I was gonna look it up in my
German dictionary but now I don't have to. ;-)

Thanks,
Kate