Default User

Default Neat way to cook Alaska King Crab Legs (Thanks Alton Brown)

jmcquown wrote:

> You just keep talking yourself into that notion, Brian. It's okay

Like I said, I trust Alton over you.

Brian Rodenborn

jmcquown wrote:

> You just keep talking yourself into that notion, Brian. It's okay

Like I said, I trust Alton over you.

Brian Rodenborn
jmcquown

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "Default User" > wrote in message
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Microwaved food simply doesn't taste the same to me. I use the
>>> microwave for reheating leftovers, occasionally for steaming
>>> veggies. If I'm going to pay $20+ for King crab legs, I surely
>>> hope I can afford to boil a big pot of salted water to toss them in.

>> You don't microwave the food. You microwave the water in the towels,
>> which steams the food.
>>

>> Brian Rodenborn

> Do you think the wet towels stop all the MW energy? Of course not.

Everyone seems to have missed the fact that after they are wrapped in paper
towels they are wrapped in plastic wrap. I just adore food cooked in
plastic wrap.

Jill

jmcquown

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "Default User" > wrote in message
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Microwaved food simply doesn't taste the same to me. I use the
>>> microwave for reheating leftovers, occasionally for steaming
>>> veggies. If I'm going to pay $20+ for King crab legs, I surely
>>> hope I can afford to boil a big pot of salted water to toss them in.

>> You don't microwave the food. You microwave the water in the towels,
>> which steams the food.
>>

>> Brian Rodenborn

> Do you think the wet towels stop all the MW energy? Of course not.

Everyone seems to have missed the fact that after they are wrapped in paper
towels they are wrapped in plastic wrap. I just adore food cooked in
plastic wrap.

Jill

StocksRus®

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> Peter Aitken wrote:

>>> You don't microwave the food. You microwave the water in the towels,
>>> which steams the food.
>>>

>>> Brian Rodenborn

>> Do you think the wet towels stop all the MW energy? Of course not.

> Everyone seems to have missed the fact that after they are wrapped in
> paper towels they are wrapped in plastic wrap. I just adore food
> cooked in plastic wrap.
>
> Jill

You're kidding right?

--
StocksRus®

StocksRus®

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> Peter Aitken wrote:

>>> You don't microwave the food. You microwave the water in the towels,
>>> which steams the food.
>>>

>>> Brian Rodenborn

>> Do you think the wet towels stop all the MW energy? Of course not.

> Everyone seems to have missed the fact that after they are wrapped in
> paper towels they are wrapped in plastic wrap. I just adore food
> cooked in plastic wrap.
>
> Jill

You're kidding right?

--
StocksRus®

Peter Aitken

"Paul M. Cook©®" > wrote in message

> "Default User" > wrote in message
> > "Paul M. Cook©®" wrote:
> >
> > > Microwave king crab? Whoever would do this deserves to be drowned in

> melted
> > > butter.

> > Again, you aren't microwaving the food. Read what it said. You are
> > steaming it.

> The microwave energy penetrates the cells. It then causes the internal
> water to vaporize which ruptures the cell. This is not steaming.
> Microwaving is a unique form of cooking. I have never eaten any microwave
> food that I cannot immediately detect as such due to its rubbery texture.
>
> Paul

This is almost surely a myth. It sunds like one of those things that "makes
sense" to someone with a high school education, and therefore it gets spread
around. Do you have any credible references for it? In any case, even if it
is true it would be easily avoided by using a lower power that would allow
the heat to diffuse through the food before any water turns to steam. Your
statement about always being able to detect microwaved food indicates only
that you have never had anything but badly prepared microwave food or food
that does not take well to the MW. Used properly on the right foods the MW
can equal or exceed other cooking methods. Used improperly or on the wrong
foods the results are terrible. Do not blame the technology for the
incompetence of the cook.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Paul M. Cook©®" wrote:

> The microwave energy penetrates the cells. It then causes the internal
> water to vaporize which ruptures the cell. This is not steaming.
> Microwaving is a unique form of cooking. I have never eaten any microwave
> food that I cannot immediately detect as such due to its rubbery texture.

Wrapped in wet paper towels? I doubt there's much penetration at all.
Most of the microwave energy will go into heating that water. If you
just plunk the legs in, then sure, but that's not what's happening.

Brian Rodenborn

"Paul M. Cook©®" wrote:

> The microwave energy penetrates the cells. It then causes the internal
> water to vaporize which ruptures the cell. This is not steaming.
> Microwaving is a unique form of cooking. I have never eaten any microwave
> food that I cannot immediately detect as such due to its rubbery texture.

Wrapped in wet paper towels? I doubt there's much penetration at all.
Most of the microwave energy will go into heating that water. If you
just plunk the legs in, then sure, but that's not what's happening.

Brian Rodenborn

jmcquown

StocksRus® wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Peter Aitken wrote:

>>> Do you think the wet towels stop all the MW energy? Of course not.

>> Everyone seems to have missed the fact that after they are wrapped in
>> paper towels they are wrapped in plastic wrap. I just adore food
>> cooked in plastic wrap.
>>
>> Jill

> You're kidding right?

Of course!

jmcquown

StocksRus® wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Peter Aitken wrote:

>>> Do you think the wet towels stop all the MW energy? Of course not.

>> Everyone seems to have missed the fact that after they are wrapped in
>> paper towels they are wrapped in plastic wrap. I just adore food
>> cooked in plastic wrap.
>>
>> Jill

> You're kidding right?

Of course!

Peter Aitken

"Default User" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Cook©®" wrote:
>
> > The microwave energy penetrates the cells. It then causes the internal
> > water to vaporize which ruptures the cell. This is not steaming.
> > Microwaving is a unique form of cooking. I have never eaten any

microwave
> > food that I cannot immediately detect as such due to its rubbery

texture.

> Wrapped in wet paper towels? I doubt there's much penetration at all.
> Most of the microwave energy will go into heating that water. If you
> just plunk the legs in, then sure, but that's not what's happening.
>

> Brian Rodenborn

It's well established that MWs penetrate about 1" into food. I may have the
exact value wrong but it is close. Unless you have a 1" thick layer of paper
towels, a lot of the energy will get thru to be absorbed by the food. I'm
not saying this is bad for the crab legs - I do not know. But your claim
that you are "not microwaving" the crab legs is bunk.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Default User" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Cook©®" wrote:
>
> > The microwave energy penetrates the cells. It then causes the internal
> > water to vaporize which ruptures the cell. This is not steaming.
> > Microwaving is a unique form of cooking. I have never eaten any

microwave
> > food that I cannot immediately detect as such due to its rubbery

texture.

> Wrapped in wet paper towels? I doubt there's much penetration at all.
> Most of the microwave energy will go into heating that water. If you
> just plunk the legs in, then sure, but that's not what's happening.
>

> Brian Rodenborn

It's well established that MWs penetrate about 1" into food. I may have the
exact value wrong but it is close. Unless you have a 1" thick layer of paper
towels, a lot of the energy will get thru to be absorbed by the food. I'm
not saying this is bad for the crab legs - I do not know. But your claim
that you are "not microwaving" the crab legs is bunk.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> StocksRus® wrote:
> > "jmcquown" > wrote in
> > :

> >> Everyone seems to have missed the fact that after they are wrapped in
> >> paper towels they are wrapped in plastic wrap. I just adore food
> >> cooked in plastic wrap.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > You're kidding right?

> Of course!

MW-safe plastic wrap is designed to not give off any odors or chemicals in
the MW. I still would not use it in direct contact with the food, but if
just used to seal, as in this example, it works fine and is undetectable.
Anyone who claims that they can detect this kind of use of plastic wrap is
deluding themselves.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

. ..

Peter Aitken wrote:

> "Default User" > wrote in message

> > You don't microwave the food. You microwave the water in the towels,
> > which steams the food.

> Do you think the wet towels stop all the MW energy? Of course not.

Not all, but enough that the primary cooking mechanism is going to be
steaming, not internal heat from the water in the crab legs.

I guess it's really silly to argue about it. What we need are a big
bunch of crab legs, a microwave and pot of boiling water.

Brian Rodenborn

Peter Aitken wrote:

> "Default User" > wrote in message

> > You don't microwave the food. You microwave the water in the towels,
> > which steams the food.

> Do you think the wet towels stop all the MW energy? Of course not.

Not all, but enough that the primary cooking mechanism is going to be
steaming, not internal heat from the water in the crab legs.

I guess it's really silly to argue about it. What we need are a big
bunch of crab legs, a microwave and pot of boiling water.

Brian Rodenborn
BOB

kilikini wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Bruce K. wrote:
>>> I've always been wary of trying to cook Alaskan King Crab Legs.
>>>
>>> These babies cost up to $20.00 a lb.
>>>
>>> On food TV last week Brown had a greaat way to prepare them:
>>>
>>> 1. Take 3 legs and cut them in half (using scissors).
>>>
>>> 2. Wrap them in 2 wet layers of paper towels.
>>>
>>> 3. Wrap package in plastic wrap.
>>>
>>> 4. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
>>>

>>> Hope this helps someone.
>>>
>>> Bruce

>> OMG, microwaved crab legs??? Bruce, exactly how difficult is it to put them
>> in a large pot of boiling water?
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Jill, I was thinking the same thing! How funny. Microwave? No, uh uh.
>
> kili

Grilled?

BOB

BOB

kilikini wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Bruce K. wrote:
>>> I've always been wary of trying to cook Alaskan King Crab Legs.
>>>
>>> These babies cost up to $20.00 a lb.
>>>
>>> On food TV last week Brown had a greaat way to prepare them:
>>>
>>> 1. Take 3 legs and cut them in half (using scissors).
>>>
>>> 2. Wrap them in 2 wet layers of paper towels.
>>>
>>> 3. Wrap package in plastic wrap.
>>>
>>> 4. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
>>>

>>> Hope this helps someone.
>>>
>>> Bruce

>> OMG, microwaved crab legs??? Bruce, exactly how difficult is it to put them
>> in a large pot of boiling water?
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Jill, I was thinking the same thing! How funny. Microwave? No, uh uh.
>
> kili

Grilled?

BOB

Paul M. Cook©®

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
.com...
> "Paul M. Cook©®" > wrote in message

in
> > melted
> > >

> > > Again, you aren't microwaving the food. Read what it said. You are
> > > steaming it.

> > The microwave energy penetrates the cells. It then causes the internal
> > water to vaporize which ruptures the cell. This is not steaming.
> > Microwaving is a unique form of cooking. I have never eaten any

microwave
> > food that I cannot immediately detect as such due to its rubbery

texture.

> > Paul
> >

> This is almost surely a myth. It sunds like one of those things that

"makes
> sense" to someone with a high school education, and therefore it gets

spread
> around. Do you have any credible references for it? In any case, even if

it
> is true it would be easily avoided by using a lower power that would allow
> the heat to diffuse through the food before any water turns to steam. Your
> statement about always being able to detect microwaved food indicates only
> that you have never had anything but badly prepared microwave food or food
> that does not take well to the MW. Used properly on the right foods the MW
> can equal or exceed other cooking methods. Used improperly or on the wrong
> foods the results are terrible. Do not blame the technology for the
> incompetence of the cook.

Microwave's cook by exciting water molecules in the food using a form of
radiation, in this case electromagnetic. Where are the water molecules?
They are in the cells. When the water turns to vapor, it ruptures the cells
because the vapor expands. It's simple physics and it even says so in my
microwave oven manual under "How does a microwave oven work." If you like
MW food, fine. I've simply never like the results no matter who makes it.
Is that a crime? And I adore seafood and think microwaving it would not do
it any justice.

Paul

Paul M. Cook©®

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
.com...
> "Paul M. Cook©®" > wrote in message

in
> > melted
> > >

> > > Again, you aren't microwaving the food. Read what it said. You are
> > > steaming it.

> > The microwave energy penetrates the cells. It then causes the internal
> > water to vaporize which ruptures the cell. This is not steaming.
> > Microwaving is a unique form of cooking. I have never eaten any

microwave
> > food that I cannot immediately detect as such due to its rubbery

texture.

> > Paul
> >

> This is almost surely a myth. It sunds like one of those things that

"makes
> sense" to someone with a high school education, and therefore it gets

spread
> around. Do you have any credible references for it? In any case, even if

it
> is true it would be easily avoided by using a lower power that would allow
> the heat to diffuse through the food before any water turns to steam. Your
> statement about always being able to detect microwaved food indicates only
> that you have never had anything but badly prepared microwave food or food
> that does not take well to the MW. Used properly on the right foods the MW
> can equal or exceed other cooking methods. Used improperly or on the wrong
> foods the results are terrible. Do not blame the technology for the
> incompetence of the cook.

Microwave's cook by exciting water molecules in the food using a form of
radiation, in this case electromagnetic. Where are the water molecules?
They are in the cells. When the water turns to vapor, it ruptures the cells
because the vapor expands. It's simple physics and it even says so in my
microwave oven manual under "How does a microwave oven work." If you like
MW food, fine. I've simply never like the results no matter who makes it.
Is that a crime? And I adore seafood and think microwaving it would not do
it any justice.

Paul

Louis Cohen

Remember, the crab legs are already cooked. In the micro, you can keep more
flavor in by wrapping them in plastic.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> Bruce K. wrote:
> > I've always been wary of trying to cook Alaskan King Crab Legs.
> >
> > These babies cost up to $20.00 a lb.
> >
> > On food TV last week Brown had a greaat way to prepare them:
> >
> > 1. Take 3 legs and cut them in half (using scissors).
> >
> > 2. Wrap them in 2 wet layers of paper towels.
> >
> > 3. Wrap package in plastic wrap.
> >
> > 4. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
> >

> > Hope this helps someone.
> >
> > Bruce

> OMG, microwaved crab legs??? Bruce, exactly how difficult is it to put

them
> in a large pot of boiling water?
>
> Jill

Louis Cohen

Remember, the crab legs are already cooked. In the micro, you can keep more
flavor in by wrapping them in plastic.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> Bruce K. wrote:
> > I've always been wary of trying to cook Alaskan King Crab Legs.
> >
> > These babies cost up to $20.00 a lb.
> >
> > On food TV last week Brown had a greaat way to prepare them:
> >
> > 1. Take 3 legs and cut them in half (using scissors).
> >
> > 2. Wrap them in 2 wet layers of paper towels.
> >
> > 3. Wrap package in plastic wrap.
> >
> > 4. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
> >

> > Hope this helps someone.
> >
> > Bruce

> OMG, microwaved crab legs??? Bruce, exactly how difficult is it to put

them
> in a large pot of boiling water?
>
> Jill

Carryon

jmcquown wrote:

> Peter Aitken wrote:

>>>You don't microwave the food. You microwave the water in the towels,
>>>which steams the food.
>>>

>>>Brian Rodenborn

>>Do you think the wet towels stop all the MW energy? Of course not.

> Everyone seems to have missed the fact that after they are wrapped in paper
> towels they are wrapped in plastic wrap. I just adore food cooked in
> plastic wrap.
>
> Jill

So do I. It makes the clean up so very easy. It also doesn't dirty up
the micro.

Carryon

jmcquown wrote:

> Peter Aitken wrote:

>>>You don't microwave the food. You microwave the water in the towels,
>>>which steams the food.
>>>

>>>Brian Rodenborn

>>Do you think the wet towels stop all the MW energy? Of course not.

> Everyone seems to have missed the fact that after they are wrapped in paper
> towels they are wrapped in plastic wrap. I just adore food cooked in
> plastic wrap.
>
> Jill

So do I. It makes the clean up so very easy. It also doesn't dirty up
the micro.

Bruce K.

Thanks for the spirited discussion.

As the original poster I neglected to say that the crab legs came out
as perfect as I have ever had.

The key here is "controlled" steaming.

My initial reluctance to cooking these babies was that I was afraid
that by boiling or steaming in the tradional way I could easily
overcook them.

Browns method lets me control the time, temperature AND the amount of
moisture that is absorbed by the legs.

By the way if you can get ahold of Barbara Kafka's Microwave Gourmet
cookbook, you will find many excellent recipies for steamed fish.

Best to all,

Bruce
Peter Aitken

"Paul M. Cook©®" > wrote in message

> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> .com...

> in
> > > melted

> > > The microwave energy penetrates the cells. It then causes the

internal
> > > water to vaporize which ruptures the cell. This is not steaming.
> > > Microwaving is a unique form of cooking. I have never eaten any

> microwave
> > > food that I cannot immediately detect as such due to its rubbery

> texture.
> > >
> > > Paul
> > >

> > This is almost surely a myth. It sunds like one of those things that

> "makes
> > sense" to someone with a high school education, and therefore it gets

> spread
> > around. Do you have any credible references for it? In any case, even if

> it
> > is true it would be easily avoided by using a lower power that would

allow
> > the heat to diffuse through the food before any water turns to steam.

Your
> > statement about always being able to detect microwaved food indicates

only
> > that you have never had anything but badly prepared microwave food or

food
> > that does not take well to the MW. Used properly on the right foods the

MW
> > can equal or exceed other cooking methods. Used improperly or on the

wrong
> > foods the results are terrible. Do not blame the technology for the
> > incompetence of the cook.

> Microwave's cook by exciting water molecules in the food using a form of
> radiation, in this case electromagnetic. Where are the water molecules?
> They are in the cells. When the water turns to vapor, it ruptures the

cells
> because the vapor expands. It's simple physics and it even says so in my
> microwave oven manual under "How does a microwave oven work." If you like
> MW food, fine. I've simply never like the results no matter who makes it.
> Is that a crime? And I adore seafood and think microwaving it would not

do
> it any justice.
>
> Paul

I understand perfectly well how MW works. You are making the unwarranted
assumptions that the water is always heated enough to turn to steam, that
all the water is in the cells (which is certainly not true), and that even
if it did turn to steam it would rupture the cells. If you dislike MW food
you won't get any argument from me, but if you spread pseudo-scientific
claptrap you will. As for seafood, one of things MW do best, as acknowledged
by many chefs, is cooking fish.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Paul M. Cook©®" > wrote in message

> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> .com...

> in
> > > melted

> > > The microwave energy penetrates the cells. It then causes the

internal
> > > water to vaporize which ruptures the cell. This is not steaming.
> > > Microwaving is a unique form of cooking. I have never eaten any

> microwave
> > > food that I cannot immediately detect as such due to its rubbery

> texture.
> > >
> > > Paul
> > >

> > This is almost surely a myth. It sunds like one of those things that

> "makes
> > sense" to someone with a high school education, and therefore it gets

> spread
> > around. Do you have any credible references for it? In any case, even if

> it
> > is true it would be easily avoided by using a lower power that would

allow
> > the heat to diffuse through the food before any water turns to steam.

Your
> > statement about always being able to detect microwaved food indicates

only
> > that you have never had anything but badly prepared microwave food or

food
> > that does not take well to the MW. Used properly on the right foods the

MW
> > can equal or exceed other cooking methods. Used improperly or on the

wrong
> > foods the results are terrible. Do not blame the technology for the
> > incompetence of the cook.

> Microwave's cook by exciting water molecules in the food using a form of
> radiation, in this case electromagnetic. Where are the water molecules?
> They are in the cells. When the water turns to vapor, it ruptures the

cells
> because the vapor expands. It's simple physics and it even says so in my
> microwave oven manual under "How does a microwave oven work." If you like
> MW food, fine. I've simply never like the results no matter who makes it.
> Is that a crime? And I adore seafood and think microwaving it would not

do
> it any justice.
>
> Paul

I understand perfectly well how MW works. You are making the unwarranted
assumptions that the water is always heated enough to turn to steam, that
all the water is in the cells (which is certainly not true), and that even
if it did turn to steam it would rupture the cells. If you dislike MW food
you won't get any argument from me, but if you spread pseudo-scientific
claptrap you will. As for seafood, one of things MW do best, as acknowledged
by many chefs, is cooking fish.

--
Peter Aitken

Paul M. Cook©®

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
.com...
> "Paul M. Cook©®" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> > .com...

drowned
> > in

> internal

> > microwave

> > texture.

> > > This is almost surely a myth. It sunds like one of those things that

> > "makes
> > > sense" to someone with a high school education, and therefore it gets

> > spread
> > > around. Do you have any credible references for it? In any case, even

if
> > it
> > > is true it would be easily avoided by using a lower power that would

> allow
> > > the heat to diffuse through the food before any water turns to steam.

> Your
> > > statement about always being able to detect microwaved food indicates

> only
> > > that you have never had anything but badly prepared microwave food or

> food
> > > that does not take well to the MW. Used properly on the right foods

the
> MW
> > > can equal or exceed other cooking methods. Used improperly or on the

> wrong
> > > foods the results are terrible. Do not blame the technology for the
> > > incompetence of the cook.

> > Microwave's cook by exciting water molecules in the food using a form of
> > radiation, in this case electromagnetic. Where are the water molecules?
> > They are in the cells. When the water turns to vapor, it ruptures the

> cells
> > because the vapor expands. It's simple physics and it even says so in

my
> > microwave oven manual under "How does a microwave oven work." If you

like
> > MW food, fine. I've simply never like the results no matter who makes

it.
> > Is that a crime? And I adore seafood and think microwaving it would not

> do
> > it any justice.
> >
> > Paul
> >

> I understand perfectly well how MW works. You are making the unwarranted
> assumptions that the water is always heated enough to turn to steam, that
> all the water is in the cells (which is certainly not true), and that even
> if it did turn to steam it would rupture the cells. If you dislike MW food
> you won't get any argument from me, but if you spread pseudo-scientific
> claptrap you will. As for seafood, one of things MW do best, as

acknowledged
> by many chefs, is cooking fish.

Yeah, you got me dude. My mission in life is to disparage microwave ovens
by posing as an oven physicist. Tell me, just how does one "steam" crab in
a MW oven without turning the internal water into steam? That is what we
are talking about, cooking a food item with steam. And if you've ever taken
a biology course you'll know that water doesn't have a whole lot of places
to hide except within cells.

Paul

Peter Aitken

"Paul M. Cook©®" > wrote in message

> Yeah, you got me dude. My mission in life is to disparage microwave ovens
> by posing as an oven physicist. Tell me, just how does one "steam" crab

in
> a MW oven without turning the internal water into steam? That is what we
> are talking about, cooking a food item with steam. And if you've ever

taken
> a biology course you'll know that water doesn't have a whole lot of places
> to hide except within cells.
>
> Paul

I have not only taken biology courses but taught them for many years at
university, so don't pull your "science" BS on me. You had a chance to learn
something here but you ran away as quickly as possible, prefering to hang
onto your incorrect beliefs. Congratulations.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Paul M. Cook©®" > wrote in message

> Yeah, you got me dude. My mission in life is to disparage microwave ovens
> by posing as an oven physicist. Tell me, just how does one "steam" crab

in
> a MW oven without turning the internal water into steam? That is what we
> are talking about, cooking a food item with steam. And if you've ever

taken
> a biology course you'll know that water doesn't have a whole lot of places
> to hide except within cells.
>
> Paul

I have not only taken biology courses but taught them for many years at
university, so don't pull your "science" BS on me. You had a chance to learn
something here but you ran away as quickly as possible, prefering to hang
onto your incorrect beliefs. Congratulations.

--
Peter Aitken

Paul M. Cook©®

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
.com...
> "Paul M. Cook©®" > wrote in message
> >

> > Yeah, you got me dude. My mission in life is to disparage microwave

ovens
> > by posing as an oven physicist. Tell me, just how does one "steam" crab

> in
> > a MW oven without turning the internal water into steam? That is what

we
> > are talking about, cooking a food item with steam. And if you've ever

> taken
> > a biology course you'll know that water doesn't have a whole lot of

places
> > to hide except within cells.
> >
> > Paul
> >

> I have not only taken biology courses but taught them for many years at
> university, so don't pull your "science" BS on me. You had a chance to

learn
> something here but you ran away as quickly as possible, prefering to hang
> onto your incorrect beliefs. Congratulations.

And I was a bio major in college. So tell me where in a crab leg is all
this moisture assuming of course it has not been vacuum packed in water?
OK, that is my big assumption here, that we're dealing with fresh crab. I'm
not sure what you mean by running away, I'm here.

And you didn't answer my question on the steam. Pardon me also for assuming
you understood the context of the subject at hand, i.e. steaming food in a
MW oven as opposed to say warming it up.

Paul

Paul M. Cook©®

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
.com...
> "Paul M. Cook©®" > wrote in message
> >

> > Yeah, you got me dude. My mission in life is to disparage microwave

ovens
> > by posing as an oven physicist. Tell me, just how does one "steam" crab

> in
> > a MW oven without turning the internal water into steam? That is what

we
> > are talking about, cooking a food item with steam. And if you've ever

> taken
> > a biology course you'll know that water doesn't have a whole lot of

places
> > to hide except within cells.
> >
> > Paul
> >

> I have not only taken biology courses but taught them for many years at
> university, so don't pull your "science" BS on me. You had a chance to

learn
> something here but you ran away as quickly as possible, prefering to hang
> onto your incorrect beliefs. Congratulations.

And I was a bio major in college. So tell me where in a crab leg is all
this moisture assuming of course it has not been vacuum packed in water?
OK, that is my big assumption here, that we're dealing with fresh crab. I'm
not sure what you mean by running away, I'm here.

And you didn't answer my question on the steam. Pardon me also for assuming
you understood the context of the subject at hand, i.e. steaming food in a
MW oven as opposed to say warming it up.

Paul

Larry Smith

Paul M. Cook©® wrote:

> Yeah, you got me dude. My mission in life is to disparage microwave ovens
> by posing as an oven physicist. Tell me, just how does one "steam" crab in
> a MW oven without turning the internal water into steam?

That's easy, you just wrap the crab in wet paper towels.

The keyword here is "wet". Microwaves will penetrate food
but only to the depth set by the food's water content. A
few layers of wet - not damp, wet - paper towels will stop
most incoming microwaves. The water in the paper towels
will heat up and steam the contents. Variations on this
technique are common in most receipes that have been adapted
to the microwave.

Also, water is not simply "turned to steam". It has to be
heated, like any other method, starting out at whatever the
temp was and rising as more microwaves rattle the molecules.
If the towels are still wet when you take them out, then
obviously most of the water is still present - as water. Not
as steam, even if some steam is rising from the wrapping.
Likewise if the crab is not dry then most of the water in
it is still there. Maybe even a bit more from the steaming.
And if the water in the towels isn't rising in massive clouds
of steam then it didn't reach the boiling point, therefore
the crab did not reach the boiling point, therefore the
water in the crab never turns to steam.

Really, Paul. Apply a little logic.

And, by the way, even though I haven't seen the episode in
question I have seen enough of his shows to be pretty certain
that he included an explanation of all the above with his
little styrofoam puppets. Unlike most chefs, he really
understands why food does what it does when we cook it.
We're probably lucky he doesn't go into pi-muon-neutrino
interactions (complete with styrofoam puppets).

--
..-. .-. .---. .---. .-..-.|Experts in Linux/Unix: www.WildOpenSource.com
| |__ / | \| |-< | |-< > / |"Making the bazaar more commonplace"
`----'`-^-'`-'`-'`-'`-' `-' |Check out my new novel: "Cloud Realm" at:
home:www.smith-house.org:8000|http://www.smith-house.org:8000/books/list.html

Bob

Paul dissed Peter, while Mary stayed out of it:

> Yeah, you got me dude. My mission in life is to disparage microwave ovens
> by posing as an oven physicist. Tell me, just how does one "steam" crab
> in a MW oven without turning the internal water into steam? That is what
> we are talking about, cooking a food item with steam. And if you've ever
> taken a biology course you'll know that water doesn't have a whole lot of
> places to hide except within cells.

In the method under discussion, the crab legs are wrapped in damp paper
towels.

In all this debate, the one person I agree with is Brian, who wrote, "What
we need are a big bunch of crab legs, a microwave and pot of boiling water."
Instead of endless keyboard-flapping, TRY the two methods side-by-side, and
see which works better. I'm inclined to side with AB, but until I try it for
myself, I'm not going to take a fervent stand (like some people are doing
here) either way.

Bob

Bob

Paul dissed Peter, while Mary stayed out of it:

> Yeah, you got me dude. My mission in life is to disparage microwave ovens
> by posing as an oven physicist. Tell me, just how does one "steam" crab
> in a MW oven without turning the internal water into steam? That is what
> we are talking about, cooking a food item with steam. And if you've ever
> taken a biology course you'll know that water doesn't have a whole lot of
> places to hide except within cells.

In the method under discussion, the crab legs are wrapped in damp paper
towels.

In all this debate, the one person I agree with is Brian, who wrote, "What
we need are a big bunch of crab legs, a microwave and pot of boiling water."
Instead of endless keyboard-flapping, TRY the two methods side-by-side, and
see which works better. I'm inclined to side with AB, but until I try it for
myself, I'm not going to take a fervent stand (like some people are doing
here) either way.

Bob

Paul M. Cook©®

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Paul dissed Peter, while Mary stayed out of it:
>
> > Yeah, you got me dude. My mission in life is to disparage microwave

ovens
> > by posing as an oven physicist. Tell me, just how does one "steam" crab
> > in a MW oven without turning the internal water into steam? That is

what
> > we are talking about, cooking a food item with steam. And if you've

ever
> > taken a biology course you'll know that water doesn't have a whole lot

of
> > places to hide except within cells.

> In the method under discussion, the crab legs are wrapped in damp paper
> towels.
>
> In all this debate, the one person I agree with is Brian, who wrote, "What
> we need are a big bunch of crab legs, a microwave and pot of boiling

water."
> Instead of endless keyboard-flapping, TRY the two methods side-by-side,

and
> see which works better. I'm inclined to side with AB, but until I try it

for
> myself, I'm not going to take a fervent stand (like some people are doing
> here) either way.

Nobody dissed anybody. If people want to get testy in replies they can
expect the same in return. Frankly I don't care how anybody cooks their
crab legs. Me, I'll stick to the old fashioned way as I just don't like
what a MW oven does to the texture of food. Hell I don't even like
reheating my leftovers with it and if it were not for the fact that my two
cats like their food warmed up then I'd toss the bloody thing altogether.

Paul