Kim

Default Different salt uses

I like to use some iodised salt as a hedge against goitre (two members
of my family died from it before a lack of iodice was discovered to be
a major cause).

Some recipes call for sea salt, and I use this where it is specified
if I can.

And I also have rock salt and flaky sea salt for larger sprinkling.

Can someone please tell me which types of dishes and food ingredients
react badly to iodised salt. I know there are some, and if there is a
good website for this, I would be grateful as well.

Thank you all.

Cheers

Wayne

Kim > wrote in
:

> I like to use some iodised salt as a hedge against goitre (two members
> of my family died from it before a lack of iodice was discovered to be
> a major cause).
>
> Some recipes call for sea salt, and I use this where it is specified
> if I can.
>
> And I also have rock salt and flaky sea salt for larger sprinkling.
>
> Can someone please tell me which types of dishes and food ingredients
> react badly to iodised salt. I know there are some, and if there is a
> good website for this, I would be grateful as well.
>
> Thank you all.
>
> Cheers

I can't tell you specific foods, but I cook with plain salt and use
iodized salt in shakers at the table. IMHO, cooking seems to make the
iodine taste more prominant if it's going to happen at all.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Wayne

Kim > wrote in
:

> I like to use some iodised salt as a hedge against goitre (two members
> of my family died from it before a lack of iodice was discovered to be
> a major cause).
>
> Some recipes call for sea salt, and I use this where it is specified
> if I can.
>
> And I also have rock salt and flaky sea salt for larger sprinkling.
>
> Can someone please tell me which types of dishes and food ingredients
> react badly to iodised salt. I know there are some, and if there is a
> good website for this, I would be grateful as well.
>
> Thank you all.
>
> Cheers

I can't tell you specific foods, but I cook with plain salt and use
iodized salt in shakers at the table. IMHO, cooking seems to make the
iodine taste more prominant if it's going to happen at all.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Katra

In article >,
Kim > wrote:

> I like to use some iodised salt as a hedge against goitre (two members
> of my family died from it before a lack of iodice was discovered to be
> a major cause).
>
> Some recipes call for sea salt, and I use this where it is specified
> if I can.
>
> And I also have rock salt and flaky sea salt for larger sprinkling.
>
> Can someone please tell me which types of dishes and food ingredients
> react badly to iodised salt. I know there are some, and if there is a
> good website for this, I would be grateful as well.
>
> Thank you all.
>
> Cheers

If you are worried about iodine intake, just buy a bottle of Kelp
tablets and take one per day.....

Or eat a lot of gulf shrimp! That stuff is so high in iodine during some
parts of the season that you can actually taste it. :-P

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Peter Aitken

"Kim" > wrote in message
> I like to use some iodised salt as a hedge against goitre (two members
> of my family died from it before a lack of iodice was discovered to be
> a major cause).
>
> Some recipes call for sea salt, and I use this where it is specified
> if I can.
>
> And I also have rock salt and flaky sea salt for larger sprinkling.
>
> Can someone please tell me which types of dishes and food ingredients
> react badly to iodised salt. I know there are some, and if there is a
> good website for this, I would be grateful as well.
>
> Thank you all.
>
> Cheers

AFAIK the only situation is certain kind sof pickles where iodized salt can
make the brine cloudy.

--
Peter Aitken

Steve Knight

get a natural salt. I get it from the health food store. it is salt and all of
the minerals with no processing. It does not add any wierd tastes to the food.
at 2.00 a pound it is not bad. the celtic sald tastes great but at 9.00 a pound
for the ground stuff it is pretty spendy.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Kim

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 19:06:56 GMT, Steve Knight
> wrote:

>get a natural salt. I get it from the health food store. it is salt and all of
>the minerals with no processing. It does not add any wierd tastes to the food.
>at 2.00 a pound it is not bad. the celtic sald tastes great but at 9.00 a pound
>for the ground stuff it is pretty spendy.

The natural sea salt is much more expensive than the free-flow bulk
pack sea salt at the supermarket. I simply wonder why so many
recipes these days say sprinkle (or season) or add a pinch or
X-spoonfuls of sea salt. My older recipe books simply specify salt
- not any particular kind.

Perhaps its just a trend?

Cheers

Kenneth

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:18:35 +1200, Kim >
wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 19:06:56 GMT, Steve Knight
> wrote:
>
>>get a natural salt. I get it from the health food store. it is salt and all of
>>the minerals with no processing. It does not add any wierd tastes to the food.
>>at 2.00 a pound it is not bad. the celtic sald tastes great but at 9.00 a pound
>>for the ground stuff it is pretty spendy.

>The natural sea salt is much more expensive than the free-flow bulk
>pack sea salt at the supermarket. I simply wonder why so many
>recipes these days say sprinkle (or season) or add a pinch or
>X-spoonfuls of sea salt. My older recipe books simply specify salt
>- not any particular kind.
>
>Perhaps its just a trend?
>
>Cheers

Howdy,

I have wondered about another aspect of this for many years:

The seas have been used as a dumping ground (and worse) since the dawn
of human history. Salt from the sea would seem to be a truly filthy
product.

In contrast, mined salt (which came from the seas originally) has been
sealed in the earth since long before we humans had any opportunity to
add our filth to it.

Why then are folks so eager to have salt from the sea?

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Kenneth

wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 19:06:56 GMT, Steve Knight
> wrote:
>
>>get a natural salt. I get it from the health food store. it is salt and all of
>>the minerals with no processing. It does not add any wierd tastes to the food.
>>at 2.00 a pound it is not bad. the celtic sald tastes great but at 9.00 a pound
>>for the ground stuff it is pretty spendy.

>The natural sea salt is much more expensive than the free-flow bulk
>pack sea salt at the supermarket. I simply wonder why so many
>recipes these days say sprinkle (or season) or add a pinch or
>X-spoonfuls of sea salt. My older recipe books simply specify salt
>- not any particular kind.
>
>Perhaps its just a trend?
>
>Cheers

Howdy,

I have wondered about another aspect of this for many years:

The seas have been used as a dumping ground (and worse) since the dawn
of human history. Salt from the sea would seem to be a truly filthy
product.

In contrast, mined salt (which came from the seas originally) has been
sealed in the earth since long before we humans had any opportunity to
add our filth to it.

Why then are folks so eager to have salt from the sea?

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Mark Thorson

Kenneth wrote:

> Why then are folks so eager to have salt from the sea?

Because it's got sodium chloride in it. Commercially
produced salt has almost no sodium chloride in it.

Quoting from this web page:
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/salt.htm

"The problem with salt is not the salt itself but the
condition of the salt we eat! Major producing
companies dry their salt in huge kilns with
temperatures reaching 1200 degrees F, changing
the salt's chemical structure, which in turn adversely
affects the human body. The facts are that in the
heating process of salt, the element sodium chloride
goes off into the air as a gas. What remains is
sodium hydroxate which is irritating to the system
and does not satisfy the body's hunger and need
for sodium chloride. Sodium chloride is one of the
12 daily essential minerals. In countries which do not
alter their salt supply, heart disease and arthritis are
so rare that many doctors have never seen a case.
Their salt is dried from the ocean by the sun."

Hope this helps! :-)

Mark Thorson

Kenneth wrote:

> Why then are folks so eager to have salt from the sea?

Because it's got sodium chloride in it. Commercially
produced salt has almost no sodium chloride in it.

Quoting from this web page:
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/salt.htm

"The problem with salt is not the salt itself but the
condition of the salt we eat! Major producing
companies dry their salt in huge kilns with
temperatures reaching 1200 degrees F, changing
the salt's chemical structure, which in turn adversely
affects the human body. The facts are that in the
heating process of salt, the element sodium chloride
goes off into the air as a gas. What remains is
sodium hydroxate which is irritating to the system
and does not satisfy the body's hunger and need
for sodium chloride. Sodium chloride is one of the
12 daily essential minerals. In countries which do not
alter their salt supply, heart disease and arthritis are
so rare that many doctors have never seen a case.
Their salt is dried from the ocean by the sun."

Hope this helps! :-)

Mark Thorson

Kenneth wrote:

> Why then are folks so eager to have salt from the sea?

Because it's got sodium chloride in it. Commercially
produced salt has almost no sodium chloride in it.

Quoting from this web page:
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/salt.htm

"The problem with salt is not the salt itself but the
condition of the salt we eat! Major producing
companies dry their salt in huge kilns with
temperatures reaching 1200 degrees F, changing
the salt's chemical structure, which in turn adversely
affects the human body. The facts are that in the
heating process of salt, the element sodium chloride
goes off into the air as a gas. What remains is
sodium hydroxate which is irritating to the system
and does not satisfy the body's hunger and need
for sodium chloride. Sodium chloride is one of the
12 daily essential minerals. In countries which do not
alter their salt supply, heart disease and arthritis are
so rare that many doctors have never seen a case.
Their salt is dried from the ocean by the sun."

Hope this helps! :-)

Kenneth

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 07:07:42 GMT, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Kenneth wrote:
>
>> Why then are folks so eager to have salt from the sea?

>Because it's got sodium chloride in it. Commercially
>produced salt has almost no sodium chloride in it.
>
>Quoting from this web page:
>http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/salt.htm
>
>"The problem with salt is not the salt itself but the
>condition of the salt we eat! Major producing
>companies dry their salt in huge kilns with
>temperatures reaching 1200 degrees F, changing
>the salt's chemical structure, which in turn adversely
>affects the human body. The facts are that in the
>heating process of salt, the element sodium chloride
>goes off into the air as a gas. What remains is
>sodium hydroxate which is irritating to the system
>and does not satisfy the body's hunger and need
>for sodium chloride. Sodium chloride is one of the
>12 daily essential minerals. In countries which do not
>alter their salt supply, heart disease and arthritis are
>so rare that many doctors have never seen a case.
>Their salt is dried from the ocean by the sun."
>
>Hope this helps! :-)

Howdy,

You switched from "mined" vs. "sea" salt to the methods used by major
production companies. Also, even if we accept that the major producers
dry the salt at "1200 degrees F" surely they are not heating the salt
to that temperature to "dry" it. As it dries, it would maintain its
own temperature at the boiling point of water (212F) and thus, heating
it beyond that point would have no drying benefit whatever. If the
kilns in which the drying occurs were indeed at 1200F that would have
no effect (chemical or otherwise) on the salt. If the producers are
heating the salt to 1200F they are doing it at incredible cost, and to
no drying benefit.

Assuming for the moment that everything you have quoted is absolutely
true, surely there are sources for unaltered mined salt that have all
the advantages I mentioned with none of the disadvantages you
mentioned.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Steve Kramer

Kenneth wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 07:07:42 GMT, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:

> Assuming for the moment that everything you have quoted is absolutely
> true, surely there are sources for unaltered mined salt that have all
> the advantages I mentioned with none of the disadvantages you
> mentioned.

Last week I was up along the Thai/Lao border (thousands of kilometers
from the sea) in a small town that produces salt from an underground
salt 'river.' They use counterweighted buckets to draw the salt water
from about 100 feet below ground, then pour the water into large woks (1
meter across) set on clay 'stoves' heated from below by wood fires.
http://www.photoenvisions.com/Salt.jpg
After most of the water evaporates, they shovel the semi dry salt into
baskets suspended higher over the oven to dry it further. Being a good
husband, I bought Nobuko two kilos (about 5 lbs.) of salt. You can't
imagine her happiness upon opening her gift. )

I'd love to have an analysis done on it to determine it's actual
chemical composition, but I don't have to time to bring it to a lab.
Anyone know of some home tests I could run? That would be more fun anyway.

Steve Kramer
Chiang Mai, Thailand
http://www.photoenvisions.com

--
"The voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new horizons,
but in seeing with new eyes." - Marcel Proust

PENMART01

>(Doug Freyburger) claims:
>
>Kenneth wrote:
>> Doug Freyburger wrote:

>> > Salt in ocean water is roughly 90% sodium chloride, roughly 9+%
>> > potassium chloride and a bit under a percent of other trace minerals.

>> > Salt from mines or some brands of processed sea salt are purified
>> > sodium chloride that has well under a percent of anything else.

>> Perhaps you can clarify for me...
>>
>> You said that "Salt from mines or some brands of processed sea salt
>> are purified sodium chloride that has well under a percent of anything
>> else."
>>
>> But the salt from mines __is__ sea salt (just from a while back).
>>
>> Why would you suppose it is of different composition?

>Salt from mines is salt *from* the sea that got deposited by
>potentially incomplete evaporation. That's not the same thing
>as saying it is the same composition as sea salt.

<oceans of gibberish snipped>

"potentially incomplete"... you are a complete idiot... and no potentially
about it.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>(Doug Freyburger) claims:
>
>Kenneth wrote:
>> Doug Freyburger wrote:

>> > Salt in ocean water is roughly 90% sodium chloride, roughly 9+%
>> > potassium chloride and a bit under a percent of other trace minerals.

>> > Salt from mines or some brands of processed sea salt are purified
>> > sodium chloride that has well under a percent of anything else.

>> Perhaps you can clarify for me...
>>
>> You said that "Salt from mines or some brands of processed sea salt
>> are purified sodium chloride that has well under a percent of anything
>> else."
>>
>> But the salt from mines __is__ sea salt (just from a while back).
>>
>> Why would you suppose it is of different composition?

>Salt from mines is salt *from* the sea that got deposited by
>potentially incomplete evaporation. That's not the same thing
>as saying it is the same composition as sea salt.

<oceans of gibberish snipped>

"potentially incomplete"... you are a complete idiot... and no potentially
about it.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Kenneth

On 22 Jul 2004 14:47:16 -0700, (Doug Freyburger)
wrote:

>Kenneth wrote:
>> Doug Freyburger wrote:

>> Also, might you point me to a source or two that would tell me that
>> sea salt is made by "boiling" sea water? That would help me to regain
>> my strength...

>Here's one from Steve Kramer of non-sea salt water being partially
>boiled with a small amount of runoff:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...eatraveler.com

Hi Doug,

Interesting link (that I had already seen) and unrelated to our
discussion. We were exploring your claim that "sea salt" is made by
boiling off the water.

I'd still like to see a source or two...

That is not to say that you are wrong. I might be. I am often wrong,
but...

Given the high costs of energy and the great amounts of energy it
would take to boil sea water, together with the very low cost of sea
salt, I doubt that it is made by boiling at all.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Kenneth