Decorative Rosemary; edible?

Old 16-12-2003, 11:07 PM
Richard Periut
Usenet poster

Default Decorative Rosemary; edible?

I have purchased a decorative rosemary plant, trimmed in the form of a
pine tree.

I went to their site http://www.pinerytree.com/ to see if they mention
if it's edible, but they make no mention. They do mention every other
use for it.

There is no e-mail or contact number in the web site.

I know it's rosemary for sure, but I don't know if they added some
resin/chemical for decorative and aromatic qualities.

I would also think that if it were not edible, it should be very clear
on the pot it came with.

TIA,

Richard

--
"..A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava
beans and a nice chianti..."

Hannibal "The Cannibal"

Silence Of The Lambs 1991

Old 17-12-2003, 12:43 AM
AChrist787
Usenet poster

I know it's rosemary for sure, but I don't know if they added some
resin/chemical for decorative and aromatic qualities.

I would also think that if it were not edible, it should be very clear
on the pot it came with.

If the plant is alive and needs watering, it's doubtful that anything was added
to it. Any kind of resin or chemical they treated it with would kill the
plant. The website gives very specific information regarding the care of the
plant.
Anne

AAC/AAF/AFBV62.0844.AZ
http://www.tckworld.com/opfoot
Old 17-12-2003, 12:53 AM
Dennis G.
Usenet poster

Richard Periut wrote:

I have purchased a decorative rosemary plant, trimmed in the form of a
pine tree.

I went to their site http://www.pinerytree.com/ to see if they mention
if it's edible, but they make no mention. They do mention every other
use for it.

There is no e-mail or contact number in the web site.

I know it's rosemary for sure, but I don't know if they added some
resin/chemical for decorative and aromatic qualities.

I would also think that if it were not edible, it should be very clear
on the pot it came with.

TIA,

Richard

Certainly it is edible. But leave it a few weeks in case it was sprayed with
insecticide before being sold to you.

Dennis
Old 17-12-2003, 03:17 AM
Richard Periut
Usenet poster

Dennis G. wrote:
Richard Periut wrote:

I have purchased a decorative rosemary plant, trimmed in the form of a
pine tree.

I went to their site http://www.pinerytree.com/ to see if they mention
if it's edible, but they make no mention. They do mention every other
use for it.

There is no e-mail or contact number in the web site.

I know it's rosemary for sure, but I don't know if they added some
resin/chemical for decorative and aromatic qualities.

I would also think that if it were not edible, it should be very clear
on the pot it came with.

TIA,

Richard

Certainly it is edible. But leave it a few weeks in case it was sprayed with
insecticide before being sold to you.

Dennis

Thanks all for your comments.

It would make sense to wait a couple of weeks, since federal laws
mandate that pesticides be substances that become degradable over a
short period of time.

Richard

Old 17-12-2003, 04:02 AM
Christopher Green
Usenet poster

Richard Periut wrote in message ...
I have purchased a decorative rosemary plant, trimmed in the form of a
pine tree.

I went to their site http://www.pinerytree.com/ to see if they mention
if it's edible, but they make no mention. They do mention every other
use for it.

There is no e-mail or contact number in the web site.

I know it's rosemary for sure, but I don't know if they added some
resin/chemical for decorative and aromatic qualities.

I would also think that if it were not edible, it should be very clear
on the pot it came with.

TIA,

Richard

Any true rosemary is edible, so long as the nursery didn't do
something like treat it with a systemic insecticide. Another remote
possibility is that it is a non-rosemary such as Westringia, which
would likewise be not edible.

Different rosemary varieties have greater or lesser culinary quality:
I find the common dwarf rosemary to have little flavor (and bad at
that), but the tall "Tuscan Blue" to be much more aromatic and
satisfactory.

--
Chris Green
Old 17-12-2003, 05:16 AM
D.Currie
Usenet poster

"Christopher Green" wrote in message
m...
[...]

There are variations of Rosemary that aren't edible as well. I've got a
pine-scented rosemary that's not edible. As far as whether a plant should be
clearly labeled as not edible -- well, most plants aren't labeled as to
whether they're edible or not.

Old 17-12-2003, 12:59 PM
anna maria
Usenet poster

D.Currie wrote:
[...]

i never heard of non edible rosmary. do you have more information about
this?
thank you, anna maria

www.annamariavolpi.com

Old 17-12-2003, 01:58 PM
Janet Bostwick

Dennis G. wrote:
Richard Periut wrote:

I have purchased a decorative rosemary plant, trimmed in the form of a
pine tree.

I went to their site http://www.pinerytree.com/ to see if they mention
if it's edible, but they make no mention. They do mention every other
use for it.

There is no e-mail or contact number in the web site.

I know it's rosemary for sure, but I don't know if they added some
resin/chemical for decorative and aromatic qualities.

I would also think that if it were not edible, it should be very clear
on the pot it came with.

TIA,

Richard

They say the Dipel is the insecticide to use for problems, so I guess you
can assume that your plant has been treated with that. And they say that
although rosemary has been a culinary herb for centuries, consumption of any
raw plant is not recommended? I'd say they are protecting their legal
backsides. Rosemary that is fresh to the indoors is extremely aromatic, so
I doubt that your rosemary has been treated in any way to increase its
scent. However, rosemary can be extremely tricky to keep indoors over
winter. It easily gets fungus that cause black spots on old growth and a
furry white fungus on tender new growth. You've got to have the light, soil
and watering conditions just right indoors. I succeeded with one plant for
many years until it got so big I couldn't lift it into the tub to water it
any longer. Since then I have not had success. Good luck.
Janet

Old 17-12-2003, 05:50 PM
Richard Periut
Usenet poster

Dennis G. wrote:

Richard Periut wrote:

[...]

When I meant "not edible" I meant not to be used for cooking because it
has possibly been treated with some chemical.

Well, I'm going to use it in a week to roast a chicken. I'll mince up
some rosemary and with some lemon zest, s&p, oregano and some thyme and
butter, and I'll stuff it under the skin.

I guess if you never hear from me again, you know what happened ; )

Richard

Old 17-12-2003, 06:28 PM
D.Currie
Usenet poster

"anna maria" wrote in message
D.Currie wrote:
[...]

I bought it at a nursery that had all sorts of interesting plant variations,
including at least a half-dozen types of rosemary. Different scents,
different leaf variations. This one in particular looks like a regular
rosemary plant, but has a very strong pine scent. It smells more like pine
than pine does, and gives off the scent very easily. No need to crush or
mangle the leaves, you just brush against it, and you get a good whiff. Just
watering it, and I smell the pine.

The label on it said that it wasn't for eating but was great for sachets and
potpourri. I don't know that it's actually poisonous, but it probably
doesn't taste very good. They had quite a few plants that you'd normally
think of as culinary or medicinal plants that were odd variations that were
intended to be used for the scents only.

I don't know the botanical name of my plant, but I know it was in the
rosemary family. Maybe if they have them again next year, I'll get more
information. If I go back there again, that is. Last spring it got a bit
costly with all the interesting things I found....

Donna

Old 17-12-2003, 07:02 PM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

rosemary
(Rosmarinus officinalis), small perennial evergreen shrub of the mint family
(Laminaceae, or Labiatae) whose leaves are used to flavour foods. Rosemary
leaves have a tealike fragrance and a pungent, slightly bitter taste. They are
generally used sparingly, dried or fresh, to season foods, particularly lamb,
duck, chicken, sausages, seafood, stuffings, stews, soups, potatoes, tomatoes,
turnips, other vegetables, and beverages. Whole sprigs are removed before food
is served because of their powerful taste.

In ancient times rosemary was believed to strengthen the memory; in literature
and folklore it is an emblem of remembrance and fidelity. Rosemary is slightly
stimulating; in traditional medicine it was a popular aromatic constituent of
tonics and liniments. Today, its fragrant oil is an ingredient in numerous
toiletry products and in vermouth. Native to the Mediterranean region, it has
been naturalized throughout Europe and temperate America and is widely grown in
gardens in the warmer parts of the U.S. and in Great Britain, where an old
garden legend reads “where rosemary thrives the mistress is master.”

The rosemary bush has a main stem usually around 3 feet (1 metre) but sometimes
up to 7 ft tall, and linear leaves about 0.4 inch (1 centimetre) long
resembling curved pine needles, dark green and shiny above, white beneath, and
with margins rolled back onto the under face. The flowers are bluish, in small
axillary clusters. Bees are particularly fond of rosemary.

The essential oil content is from 0.3 to 2 percent, and it is obtained by
distillation. Its principal component is borneol.

Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service.
http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?eu=65754
[Accessed December 17, 2003].

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Old 18-12-2003, 01:20 AM
Janet Bostwick
Usenet poster

"D.Currie" wrote in message
[...]

While I have never heard of a rosemary that is not edible, I do know that
various edible varieties are described in catalogs as being more or less
resinous(piney). Some of the rosemary plants that I have and eat from are
almost a sticky to the touch as pine. They have a very piney smell.
Good Luck
Janet

Old 18-12-2003, 04:20 AM
D.Currie
Usenet poster

"Janet Bostwick" wrote in message

"D.Currie" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I don't think I'll start gnawing on this particular plant any time
soon. Next year if they have them again, maybe I'll take a closer look at
the details.

Old 19-12-2003, 01:17 AM
JLove98905
Usenet poster

I recently purchased a new keyboard, which, I kid you not, came with a warning
label. Something about the risk of wrist injury.

My point is, if something isn't 100% idiot-proof, the government will probably
force the manufacturer to put a warning label on it. So I would think that if
rosemary were for some reason inedible, you'd be given a warning. You're smart
to take precautions anyway - I would have assumed it was fine to eat, which is
probably why they put warning labels on keyboards
-Jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright