KATHY SPIES

Default cheesecake

I just joined this newsgroup and I have a question. I made my first
cheesecake yesterday and although it came out OK it didn't come like I hoped
it would. It didn't have that thick cheesy flavor of New York Style
cheesecake and i'm not sure why. I used 19 oz of cream cheese, 1 cup sugar,
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and 3 eggs for the
filling. I've noticed some recipes call for sour cream. Is that what was
missing for the effect I wanted? Any ideas?

--
Kathy

Camelot Bakery

Yes, the sour cream does make a difference in the cheesecake. I bake and
sell about 30 cheesecakes a week.
NY Style, Double Chocolate Dreamsicle, Grasshopper, Turtle, Mocha Bourbon
Pecan Pie Cheesecake, Amerretto,
and many, many more. All of them have variables of cream cheese, eggs and
sour cream.

--
Jim
Owner

"KATHY SPIES" > wrote in message
> I just joined this newsgroup and I have a question. I made my first
> cheesecake yesterday and although it came out OK it didn't come like I

hoped
> it would. It didn't have that thick cheesy flavor of New York Style
> cheesecake and i'm not sure why. I used 19 oz of cream cheese, 1 cup

sugar,
> 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and 3 eggs for the
> filling. I've noticed some recipes call for sour cream. Is that what was
> missing for the effect I wanted? Any ideas?
>
> --
> Kathy

Jarkat2002

>Double Chocolate Dreamsicle,

Can you post the recipe for this ... sounds wonderful!
~Kat

"I think I would like to call myself 'the girl who wanted to be God'. Yet if I
were not in this body, where would I be--perhaps I am destined to be classified
and qualified. But, oh, I cry out aginst it." --Sylvia Plath
Howard Dean

"KATHY SPIES" > wrote in message
> I just joined this newsgroup and I have a question. I made my first
> cheesecake yesterday and although it came out OK it didn't come like I

hoped
> it would. It didn't have that thick cheesy flavor of New York Style
> cheesecake and i'm not sure why. I used 19 oz of cream cheese, 1 cup

sugar,
> 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and 3 eggs for the
> filling. I've noticed some recipes call for sour cream. Is that what was
> missing for the effect I wanted? Any ideas?
>
> --
> Kathy

Sour cream is essential for that New York Cheesecake flavor.
With these guidelines you can make any amount of filling you want.
The ratios are for every pound of cream cheese:
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup sugar,
3/4 teaspoon lemon juice,
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons sour cream
One egg yolk
Two whole eggs

Karen

"KATHY SPIES" > wrote in message
> I just joined this newsgroup and I have a question. I made my first
> cheesecake yesterday and although it came out OK it didn't come like I

hoped
> it would. It didn't have that thick cheesy flavor of New York Style
> cheesecake and i'm not sure why. I used 19 oz of cream cheese, 1 cup

sugar,
> 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and 3 eggs for the
> filling. I've noticed some recipes call for sour cream. Is that what was
> missing for the effect I wanted? Any ideas?
>
> --
> Kathy

Here's the recipe for Junior's New York cheesecake. It's got that very
dense-yet-creamy consistency - it might be what you're looking for. Some NY
cheesecakes do indeed contain sour cream; this one doesn't. Some people
prefer the added tang of sour cream, so your best bet is to experiment to
see which type of cheesecake appeals to you.

I've made this recipe countless times, so it's tried-and-true. :-)

Karen

Junior's Cheesecake
From "The New York Cookbook" by Molly O'Neill

1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons sifted cornstarch
30 ounces (3 3/4 large packages) cream cheese, softened
1 large egg
1/2 cup heavy (whipping) cream
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Generously butter the bottom and sides of a
8-inch springform pan. Lightly coat the bottom of the pan with the graham
cracker crumbs and refrigerate the pan.

2. In a large bowl, combine the sugar and the cornstarch. Beat in the cream
cheese. Beat in the egg. Slowly drizzle in the heavy cream, beating
constantly. Add the vanilla and stir well. Pour the mixture into the
prepared pan. Bake until the top is golden, 40 to 45 min. Cool in the pan on
a wire rack for 3 hrs.

Serves 8 to 10

Vox Humana

"Karen" > wrote in message

> Here's the recipe for Junior's New York cheesecake. It's got that very
> dense-yet-creamy consistency - it might be what you're looking for. Some

NY
> cheesecakes do indeed contain sour cream; this one doesn't. Some people
> prefer the added tang of sour cream, so your best bet is to experiment to
> see which type of cheesecake appeals to you.
>
> I've made this recipe countless times, so it's tried-and-true. :-)
>
> Karen
>
> Junior's Cheesecake
> From "The New York Cookbook" by Molly O'Neill
>
> 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
> 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
> 3 tablespoons sifted cornstarch
> 30 ounces (3 3/4 large packages) cream cheese, softened
> 1 large egg
> 1/2 cup heavy (whipping) cream
> 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

This is my favorite cheesecake and it always turns out perfect. Funny
thought, the recipe that I use is from Junior's Cookbook and it is different
than the one you posted. The one in their cookbook has a sponge cake base,
two eggs instead of one, more cream and more sugar and essentially the same
amount of cream cheese. I posted the recipe in the "What to serve for
Christmas" thread a couple of days ago.

Nancy Young

Karen wrote:

> Here's the recipe for Junior's New York cheesecake. It's got that very
> dense-yet-creamy consistency - it might be what you're looking for. Some NY
> cheesecakes do indeed contain sour cream; this one doesn't.

Someone once posted here asking for a recipe for creamy
cheesecake ... not that dry New York style cheesecake. Say what???
How much creamier can you get than New York style cheesecake??
Liquid cheesecake you drink from a glass?

(laugh) nancy
Lucas, Peter

Default Khalua cheescake was cheesecake

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> Karen wrote:
>
>> Here's the recipe for Junior's New York cheesecake. It's got that
>> very dense-yet-creamy consistency - it might be what you're looking
>> for. Some NY cheesecakes do indeed contain sour cream; this one
>> doesn't.

> Someone once posted here asking for a recipe for creamy
> cheesecake ... not that dry New York style cheesecake. Say what???
> How much creamier can you get than New York style cheesecake??
> Liquid cheesecake you drink from a glass?
>
> (laugh) nancy

How about as creamy as .............

Khalua Cheesecake

Crust:
1 1/3 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (or any chocolate biscuit crumbs you
prefer)
1/4 Cup butter, softened
1 Tbs. sugar

Filling:
1 1/2 cups Semi-sweet chocolate pieces (I used 300g of milk chocolate
buttons)
1/4 cup Kahlua (I ended up using about ¾ cup :-)
2 Tbs. Butter
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 cup Sour cream (250g)
2 x 8 oz.(250g) pkgs. cream cheese, softened and cut into pieces

In a small bowl mix together wafer crumbs, butter, and sugar and press
firmly in a 9" (22cm) spring form pan.

Preheat oven to 350 deg. (180 Celsius)

In a small saucepan, over medium heat, melt chocolate with Kahlua and
butter. Stir until smooth. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine eggs, sugar and salt. Add sour cream and blend
well.
Add cream cheese to egg mixture and beat until smooth. Gradually blend
in chocolate mixture. Turn into prepared crust.

Bake 35 min. or until filling is barely set in center. Turn off heat,
and let stand in oven for 15 minutes with door open. Then take out of
oven and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.

Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.

You can garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. I used 70%
cocoa chocolate from Lindt for the shavings. The bitterness of that
offset the cheesecake beautifully :-)

--

Peter Lucas
Brisbane

The other day I went to the local religious book store where I saw a
"Honk if you really love Jesus" bumper sticker. I bought it and put it
on the back bumper of my car, and I'm glad I did. What an uplifting
experience followed.

Stopped at the light of a busy intersection, just lost in thought about
the Lord and didn't notice that the light had changed. That bumper
sticker really worked! I found lots of people who love Jesus.

Why, the guy behind me started to honk like crazy. He must really love
the Lord because pretty soon he leaned out his window and yelled, "Jesus
Christ!" as loud as he could. Why, it was like a football game with him
shouting, "Go, Jesus Christ, Go!" Everyone else started honking, so I
leaned out my window and waved and smiled to all those loving people.

There must have been a guy from Florida back there because I could hear
him yelling something about a sunny beach, and I saw him waving in a
funny way with only his middle finger stuck up in the air. I had
recently asked my two grandsons what that meant. They kind of squirmed,
looked at each other, giggled, and told me that it was the Hawaiian good
luck sign, so I leaned out the window and gave him the good luck sign
back.

A couple of the people were so caught up in the joy of the moment that
they got out of their cars and were walking towards me. I bet they
wanted to pray, but just then I noticed that the light had changed, and
I stepped on the gas. It's a good thing I did, because I was the only
car to get across the intersection. I looked back at them standing
there. I leaned out the window, gave them a big smile, and held up the
Hawaiian Good Luck sign as I drove away.

Levelwave©

Nancy Young wrote:

> Someone once posted here asking for a recipe for creamy
> cheesecake ... not that dry New York style cheesecake. Say what???
> How much creamier can you get than New York style cheesecake??
> Liquid cheesecake you drink from a glass?

I thought New York Cheesecake was more dense than creamy?

~john!

--
Say hello to the rug's topography...It holds quite a lot of interest
with your face down on it...

Levelwave©

Camelot Bakery wrote:

> Yes, the sour cream does make a difference in the cheesecake. I bake and
> sell about 30 cheesecakes a week.
> NY Style, Double Chocolate Dreamsicle, Grasshopper, Turtle, Mocha Bourbon
> Pecan Pie Cheesecake, Amerretto,
> and many, many more. All of them have variables of cream cheese, eggs and
> sour cream.

What's the maximum amount of Sour Cream you can add to the Cheesecake
and still keep it as dense as possible?... The last time I added Sour
Cream the cake turned out way to creamy...

~john!

--
Say hello to the rug's topography...It holds quite a lot of interest
with your face down on it...

Karen

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> This is my favorite cheesecake and it always turns out perfect. Funny
> thought, the recipe that I use is from Junior's Cookbook and it is

different
> than the one you posted. The one in their cookbook has a sponge cake

base,
> two eggs instead of one, more cream and more sugar and essentially the

same
> amount of cream cheese. I posted the recipe in the "What to serve for
> Christmas" thread a couple of days ago.

Junior's had more than one kind of cheesecake, hence the different recipes.
I started making the simpler one and have stayed with it because it always
goes over so well. I've been very tempted to try the sponge cake base
recipe because it looks so darned good, but the sponge cake adds a lot of
carbs (I'm diabetic). I can use Splenda in my recipe, leaving off the
crust, for a great low-carb version.

Karen

Karen

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Someone once posted here asking for a recipe for creamy
> cheesecake ... not that dry New York style cheesecake. Say what???
> How much creamier can you get than New York style cheesecake??
> Liquid cheesecake you drink from a glass?
>
> (laugh) nancy

Hmmm...you might be onto something here, Nancy: Cheesecake milkshake??
This might be the start of a new fad! :-)

Actually, I've had really lousy so-called "New York style" cheesecake that
is crumbly (OK, dry), so maybe that other poster had also gotten an inferior
cheesecake. Different brands of cream cheese produce different results.
I've found that if I use Philadelphia brand cream cheese, the texture is
perfect. Last week I used Borden's cream cheese (it was on sale) to make a
cheesecake using the same recipe I always use, and it was like rubber. So
all cream cheese is not equal, as I found out.

Karen

Vox Humana

"Karen" > wrote in message
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> > This is my favorite cheesecake and it always turns out perfect. Funny
> > thought, the recipe that I use is from Junior's Cookbook and it is

> different
> > than the one you posted. The one in their cookbook has a sponge cake

> base,
> > two eggs instead of one, more cream and more sugar and essentially the

> same
> > amount of cream cheese. I posted the recipe in the "What to serve for
> > Christmas" thread a couple of days ago.
> >

> Junior's had more than one kind of cheesecake, hence the different

recipes.
> I started making the simpler one and have stayed with it because it always
> goes over so well. I've been very tempted to try the sponge cake base
> recipe because it looks so darned good, but the sponge cake adds a lot of
> carbs (I'm diabetic). I can use Splenda in my recipe, leaving off the
> crust, for a great low-carb version.

Interesting. I wouldn't expect a crumb crust to have less carbs than a
sponge layer.

Karen

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> Interesting. I wouldn't expect a crumb crust to have less carbs than a
> sponge layer.

I think you misunderstood my response - here's what I said: "I can use
Splenda in my recipe, **leaving off the crust**, for a great low-carb
version." To clarify: I omit the graham cracker crust when I make
cheesecake for myself.

Actually, the graham crackers provide really just a dusting rather than a
true crust, so I'm probably not saving that many carbs, but it makes me feel
like I'm being good if I leave that part out of the recipe... :-)

Karen

Camelot Bakery

Double Chocolate Cheesecake

Crust:
2 Cups Oreo Cookies- crushed
1/2 Cup Butter
Filling:
24 Ounces Cream Cheese- softened
1 Cup Sugar
5 Eggs
1 Cup Cream Cheese
2 Squares Bittersweet Chocolate
5 Squares SemiSweet Chocolate

Melt chocolates in double boiler and let cool.
Mix cookie crumbs and butter and press into ungreased 10-inch springform
pan.
Mix together cream cheese and sugar.
Add eggs one at a time, mixing them good with the mixture.
Mix in sour cream.
Slowly add chocolate to mixture.
Pour into springform pan.
Bake in preheated oven @325F for 1 1/2 hours or until center is firm.
Take a sharp knife and run around the edge of the pan, loosening the edges
and allow to cool for one hour in the oven with the door slightly open.
Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for 12 hours.

"Jarkat2002" > wrote in message
> >Double Chocolate Dreamsicle,

> Can you post the recipe for this ... sounds wonderful!
> ~Kat
>

> "I think I would like to call myself 'the girl who wanted to be God'. Yet

if I
> were not in this body, where would I be--perhaps I am destined to be

classified
> and qualified. But, oh, I cry out aginst it." --Sylvia Plath

Gigi

"Camelot Bakery" > wrote in message
> Double Chocolate Cheesecake
>
> Crust:
> 2 Cups Oreo Cookies- crushed
> 1/2 Cup Butter
> Filling:
> 24 Ounces Cream Cheese- softened
> 1 Cup Sugar
> 5 Eggs
> 1 Cup Cream Cheese
> 2 Squares Bittersweet Chocolate
> 5 Squares SemiSweet Chocolate
>
> Melt chocolates in double boiler and let cool.
> Mix cookie crumbs and butter and press into ungreased 10-inch springform
> pan.
> Mix together cream cheese and sugar.
> Add eggs one at a time, mixing them good with the mixture.
> Mix in sour cream.
> Slowly add chocolate to mixture.
> Pour into springform pan.
> Bake in preheated oven @325F for 1 1/2 hours or until center is firm.
> Take a sharp knife and run around the edge of the pan, loosening the edges
> and allow to cool for one hour in the oven with the door slightly open.
> Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for 12 hours.
>
> Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
>

> --
> Jim
> Owner
> Camelot Bakery and Kitchens
> "Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for thou art crunchy and taste good
> with ketchup"

I think the second mention of Cream Cheese (1 cup) should be sour cream