Betsy

Default Good pork tenderloin recipe

I have lurked here for years, posting rarely but occasionally. I made
this recipe this weekend, and my guest asked me to e-mail it. As it
was a newspaper clipping, I had to type it. So, because I have made
many (and have saved but not made even more), great recipes from all
of you, I am posting this as a small form of payback. This was taken
from the LA Times, but I don't remember when. I've had it for a few
years.
betsy

Spicy Pork Tenderloin with Ginger Maple Sauce
active work time 30 min, total prep time 1 hour

2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/3 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 (3/4 - 1 pound) pork tenderloins
1 Tbl butter
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1 Tbl grated or minced fresh ginger root
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup maple syrup
non-stick cooking spray

Combine chili powder, cinnamon, salt and pepper.

Rinse pork, pat dry, cut away any silver skin. Coat with spice mix and
let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Heat skillet over medium heat. Add butter and melt. Saute onion until
lightly caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add ginger and cook 5 more
minutes. Add chicken stock and scrape bottom of pan to deglaze.
Simmer 10 more minutes. Add maple syrup and simmer 5 minutes. Set
aside

Heat large skillet over high heat, then lightly coat with cooking
spray. Sear tenderloins on all sides until browned. Place in a 13x9
inch baking dish.

Bake at 375 deg F until meat thermometer reads 150-160 for medium.
Let rest for 10 minutes. Pour sauce into baking dish over meat and
return to oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven, and stir to deglaze
bottom of baking pan. Slice meat on the diagonal and spoon sauce over
the top.

My notes: I coat the pork and refrigerate for as long as I need to,
like from AM to PM. I can never get all the silver skin off, it turns
out OK anyway. Caramelizing onions always takes me considerably
longer than 10 minutes. I make the sauce ahead of time if I need to,
and refrigerate, then I warm it slightly before it is needed. I have
forgotten the searing step and it turned out OK anyway. Slice it any
way you want. This dish is great for leftovers, naturally.
Doug Weller

On 15 Dec 2003 16:28:50 -0800, Betsy wrote:

> I have lurked here for years, posting rarely but occasionally. I made
> this recipe this weekend, and my guest asked me to e-mail it. As it
> was a newspaper clipping, I had to type it. So, because I have made
> many (and have saved but not made even more), great recipes from all
> of you, I am posting this as a small form of payback. This was taken
> from the LA Times, but I don't remember when. I've had it for a few
> years.

Looks delicious but I'm not sure about the chili powder! I shall try it.

Doug
Betsy

Doug Weller > wrote in message >. ..
> On 15 Dec 2003 16:28:50 -0800, Betsy wrote:
>
> > I have lurked here for years, posting rarely but occasionally. I made
> > this recipe this weekend, and my guest asked me to e-mail it. As it
> > was a newspaper clipping, I had to type it. So, because I have made
> > many (and have saved but not made even more), great recipes from all
> > of you, I am posting this as a small form of payback. This was taken
> > from the LA Times, but I don't remember when. I've had it for a few
> > years.

> Looks delicious but I'm not sure about the chili powder! I shall try it.
>
> Doug

A little late answering, sorry. This is the chili powder mix, not
actually "powdered chilis", so it's not very spicy. Hope you like it.
betsy