Vince Poroke

Default What to serve for Christmas

I need a cake to serve for dessert at Christmas. I usually serve pies
for dessert at Christmas but I preparing a different meal. Here is
the menu for the evening any suggestions will be well appreciated.

Prime Rib with caramelized shallots and garlic
Mashed potatoes
Yorkshire pudding
Peas, Corn and baby Carrots
Bisquick Garlic Cheddar rolls (my twist is a little sour cream to the
mix).

What cake should I serve?
Vox Humana

"Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
om...
> I need a cake to serve for dessert at Christmas. I usually serve pies
> for dessert at Christmas but I preparing a different meal. Here is
> the menu for the evening any suggestions will be well appreciated.
>
> Prime Rib with caramelized shallots and garlic
> Mashed potatoes
> Yorkshire pudding
> Peas, Corn and baby Carrots
> Bisquick Garlic Cheddar rolls (my twist is a little sour cream to the
> mix).
>
> What cake should I serve?

I think that cheesecake or carrot cake are good choices.

--------------
Junior's Cheesecake
Sponge Cake Layer
Preheat oven to 350°
Grease a 9 inch springform pan.

1/2 cup sifted cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
3 eggs, separated
1/3 cup sugar plus 2 tablespoons
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 drops lemon extract
3 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
Beat egg yolks with an electric mixer on high for 3 minutes. Gradually add
the sugar and beat until the mixture is light and lemon colored - about 5
more minutes. Beat in the vanilla and lemon extracts.
Sift the flour mixture over the beaten egg yolks and stir by hand until well
blended. Then blend in the butter.
In a clean bowl with clean beaters, combine the egg whites and cream of
tarter. Beat until foamy and then gradually add the reserved 2 tablespoons
of sugar. Continue beating until the egg whites form stiff peaks.
Combine about ¼ of the beaten egg whites with the flour mixture and mix
until well combined. Then gently fold in the remaining egg whites.
Carefully spread the batter on the bottom of the pan and bake for about 10
minutes or until the cake springs back when pressed with your finger. Set
aside to cool.

Cheesecake Layer (Plain)
4 8oz packages of cream cheese (not low fat)
1 2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 eggs
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Preheat Oven to 350F
Combined one package of cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar, and the cornstarch in
the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on low speed until creamy, about 3
minutes.
Add the remaining cream cheese, one package at a time and beat until smooth.
Increase the speed to high and add the remaining sugar and eggs, one at a
time. Beat thoroughly after each addition.
Stop the mixer and blend in the cream and vanilla by hand.
Pour the batter over the baked cake in the springform pan.
Wrap the bottom of the pan with heavy duty foil. Set the foil lined pan in
another slightly larger pan. Pour enough boiling water into the outer pan
to submerge 1 inch of the springform pan.
Bake for about 1 hour or until the center of the cake barely jiggles when it
is shaken. Let the cake cool in the oven for about an hour with the door
ajar. Let the cake cool for another hour outside the oven on a wire rack.
Slide a knife between the cake and the pan and then release the sides of the
pan. Wrap with plastic film and chill in the refrigerator over night.

Pumpkin Cheesecake
1 recipe of sponge layer
1 recipe cheesecake layer

1 cup solid pack pumpkin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves

Preheat the oven to 350°
Mix the pumpkin with the spices and set aside.
Make the cheesecake as above. Beat in the spiced pumpkin mixture after the
addition of the eggs. Mix in cream and bake as directed above.
Chocolate Marble Cheesecake
1 recipe sponge layer
1 recipe cheesecake
3/4 cup store bought fudge ice cream topping

Preheat the oven to 350F
Prepare cheesecake. Pour half the batter over the sponge layer.
Melt the fudge ice cream topping in a double boiler or microwave. Combine
with the remaining batter. Pour over the plain batter and draw a table
knife through the cake to create a marble patter.
Bake as directed above. Cover the pan with foil after about 45 minutes of
baking to prevent over browning.

Apple Crumb Cheesecake
1 recipe of sponge layer
1 recipe of cheesecake layer

Apple layer
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons all purpose four
1 tablespoon cornstarch
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 ½ pounds tart-sweet apples
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Crumb topping
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons unsalted cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 teaspoon lemon extracts
1/3 cup sifted confectioner's sugar

Preheat the oven to 350F
For the apples layer, mix the sugars, flour, cornstarch and cinnamon and set
aside
Peel, core, and slice the apples 1/4 inch thick (you will need 4 cups of
apples). Drizzle with the lemon juice and toss with the sugar mixture.
Spread about 2/3 of the apples over the baked sponge layer.
Spread the cheesecake batter over the apples. Starting about 2 inches from
the edge of the pan, push the remaining apples into the batter until they
are almost completely submerged.
Bake as directed above in the water bath for about 1 1/4 hours or until the
center barely jiggles when you shake the pan, When top sets and starts to
brown, (about 50 minutes) cover the pan with foil for the remainder of the
baking time.
While the cake is baking prepare the crumb topping. Mix the flour, brown
sugar, and cinnamon together in a medium bowl. Work the butter and
shortening into the mixture with your fingers or a pastry blender until the
mixture looks like coarse crumbs about the size of small peas. Stir in the
lemon extract.
After the cake is completely cooled, top with the crumb topping and sprinkle
with the confectioner's sugar. Cover the cake with plastic wrap and
refrigerate it until serving time.

---------------------------------
Fantastic Pumpkin Carrot Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour (250 gm)

2 tsp. baking soda

2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1 tsp. allspice

1/2 tsp. salt

3/4 cup milk (183 gm.)

1.5 tsp. lemon juice

1 tsp. vanilla

1.5 cups granulated sugar (300 gm)

1.25 cups Libby's Solid Pack Pumpkin (306 gm)

3 eggs (150 gm)

1/2 cup packed brown sugar (110 gm)

1/2 cup vegetable oil (109 gm)

1 cup (8-oz. can) crushed pineapple, drained (195 gm)

1 cup grated carrots (110 gm)

1 cup flaked coconut (74 gm)

1 cup raisins (145 gm)

1.25 cups chopped walnuts or pecans, divided (120 + 30 gm)

Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice and

salt in small bowl.

Combine milk, lemon juice, and vanilla in a small bowl and set aside.

Beat granulated sugar, pumpkin, eggs, brown sugar

and vegetable oil until combined. Beat in pine-

apple, carrots, milk mixture until combined.

Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in

Coconut, raisins, and 1 cup nuts. Pour into 2 greased

9-inch round cake pans.

Bake in preheated 350F oven for 30 to 35

minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.

Cool in pans on wire racks for 15 minutes.

Remove to racks to cool completely.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened

1 3 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened

3.5 cups powdered sugar

1 tsp. grated orange peel

2 Tsp. orange juice

1 tsp. vanilla

1/3 cup butter

remaining nuts to garnish.

Jack Schidt®

"Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
om...
> I need a cake to serve for dessert at Christmas. I usually serve pies
> for dessert at Christmas but I preparing a different meal. Here is
> the menu for the evening any suggestions will be well appreciated.
>
> Prime Rib with caramelized shallots and garlic
> Mashed potatoes
> Yorkshire pudding
> Peas, Corn and baby Carrots
> Bisquick Garlic Cheddar rolls (my twist is a little sour cream to the
> mix).
>
> What cake should I serve?

To me, your menu cries out for chocolate, as in chocolate cake.

Jack Chomplit

Vox Humana

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I need a cake to serve for dessert at Christmas. I usually serve pies
> > for dessert at Christmas but I preparing a different meal. Here is
> > the menu for the evening any suggestions will be well appreciated.
> >
> > Prime Rib with caramelized shallots and garlic
> > Mashed potatoes
> > Yorkshire pudding
> > Peas, Corn and baby Carrots
> > Bisquick Garlic Cheddar rolls (my twist is a little sour cream to the
> > mix).
> >
> > What cake should I serve?

> To me, your menu cries out for chocolate, as in chocolate cake.
>
> Jack Chomplit

This is about as intensely chocolate as you can get:

Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Torte

From The Cake Bible

Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Torte

1 pound (16 oz) bittersweet chocolate

1 cup (8 oz) unsalted butter

6 large eggs (1 1/4 liquid cups)

Preheat oven to 425F

Set a large metal bowl over a pot of hot, not simmering, water. The bottom

of bowl should not touch the water. Combine chocolate and butter in the

bowl and let stand, stirring occasional until smooth and melted (or melt in

microwave on high power in 15 second bursts stirring between bursts. Remove

from microwave before chocolate is completely melted and then stir until

fully melted)

In a large bowl over simmering water heat the eggs, stirring constantly to

prevent curdling until just warm to the touch. Remove from the heat and

beat with a stand mixer using a whisk until triple in volume and a soft
peak

forms when the beater is raised, about 5 minutes. (If using a hand mixer,

beat over simmering water until the eggs are hot to the touch, about 5

minutes Remove from the heat and beat until cool.)

Using a large whip or rubber spatula fold half the eggs into the chocolate

mixture until almost incorporated. Fold the remaining eggs into the
mixture

until just blended and no streaks remain. Finish by using a rubber spatula

to ensure that the heavier mixture at the bottom is incorporated. Scrape

into an 8 in. springform pan at least 2 1/2 inches high which has been

buttered and lined with buttered parchment or wax paper. Wrap the outside

of the pan with a double layer of heavy-duty foil. Set the pan into a

larger pan such as a roaster and surround it with 1 inch of very hot water.

Bake five minutes and then cover loosely with a piece of buttered foil.

Bake ten more minutes. The cake will look soft, but this is normal.

Remove the cake from the oven and let cool on a rack for 45 minutes. Cover

with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or until very firm.

Cover a plate with plastic wrap and have a serving plate at hand. To
unmold

the cake, wrap the pan with hot, wet towels and run a thin knife around the

edge. Release the sides of the pan. Invert the cake on the plastic covered

plate and put hot wet towels on the bottom of the pan. Remove the pan

bottom, peel off the paper and invert the cake onto the serving plate.

The finished cake will be 1 1/2 inched high.

Serve at room temperature.

VARIATIONS:

1) Add 1/2 cup praline past to chocolate before melting - use Lindt

Courante or Tobler extra bittersweet chocolate

2) Add 2 tablespoons of liqueur to the chocolate mixture and serve with

crème anglaise flavored with the same liqueur. Use Grand Marnier,

Cointreau, Mandarine Napoleon, William's pear, Cognac, Bourbon, or your

favorite

3) Add 3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam to the melted chocolate and use
extra

bittersweet chocolate to reduce the sweetness.

4) Add two tablespoons of instant espresso powder to the chocolate

mixture.

ADORNMENTS:

Encase in a chocolate band

Top with chocolate leaves, curls, or cigarettes

Pipe whipped cream just before serving

Top with raspberry sauce

Frost with white chocolate buttercream or white ganache

Offer crème angaise flavored with any liqueur

Will keep for two week in the refrigerator. Do not freeze because the

texture will be altered.

Ted Campanelli

On 12/15/2003 11:30 AM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these
great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

I suggest a "modified" white cake. Make a 2 or 3 layer cake. After
assembly, but before frosting, in the top layer, hollow out a design of
your choice (snowflake, star, etc.) preferably one that will look ok in
a single color. (I get my "patterns" from magazines and "trace" around
them with a sharp knife.)

Then make up some Jell-O (yes, Jell-O) and put ice cubes in it to get it
to a SEMI - GEL state. Fill the cavity in the top layer and immediately
put in the fridge for a couple of hours. Then bring it out and frost
the cake. I usually do a "ribbon" type thing around the designs I use
(rabbit for Easter, heart for Valentine's Day, turkey for Thanksgiving)
and may use some of the frosting (or halved strawberries or cherries)
for details such as the eyes, nose, etc.

Keep refrigerated until about 5 minutes before serving.

A little work, but not as hard as it sounds.

> I need a cake to serve for dessert at Christmas. I usually serve pies
> for dessert at Christmas but I preparing a different meal. Here is
> the menu for the evening any suggestions will be well appreciated.
>
> Prime Rib with caramelized shallots and garlic
> Mashed potatoes
> Yorkshire pudding
> Peas, Corn and baby Carrots
> Bisquick Garlic Cheddar rolls (my twist is a little sour cream to the
> mix).
>
> What cake should I serve?

PENMART01

(Vince Poroke) writes:

>I need a cake to serve for dessert at Christmas. I usually serve pies
>for dessert at Christmas but I preparing a different meal. Here is
>the menu for the evening any suggestions will be well appreciated.
>
>Prime Rib with caramelized shallots and garlic
>Mashed potatoes
>Yorkshire pudding
>Peas, Corn and baby Carrots
>Bisquick Garlic Cheddar rolls (my twist is a little sour cream to the
>mix).
>
>What cake should I serve?

PANFORTE
Panforte €” a cross between a cake and a candy €” is a classic Italian
Christmas treat. It's a very dense, rich confection loaded with nuts, dried
fruit, and spices (hence its name, which means "strong bread"). This recipe
yields much more than you'll need for the party, but it keeps so well that
you'll have delicious leftovers long after the holiday season.
Active time: 40 min Start to finish: 4 hr (includes cooling)

4 teaspoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder plus additional for dusting
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup whole almonds, toasted
1 cup whole hazelnuts, toasted and loose skins rubbed off with a kitchen towel
1 cup soft pitted prunes (dried plums; 8 oz), quartered
1 cup soft dried figs (preferably Mission; 8 oz), each cut into 6 pieces
1 cup soft raisins (8 oz)
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup honey

Special equipment: a 9-inch springform pan; parchment paper; a candy
thermometer

Preheat oven to 300°F.

Line springform pan with parchment, using a round for bottom and a strip for
side. Butter paper well and dust with cocoa powder, knocking out excess.

Whisk together flour, spices, salt, and 4 teaspoons cocoa in a large bowl, then
stir in nuts and fruit.

Bring sugar and honey to a boil in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat,
stirring until sugar is dissolved, then boil without stirring until thermometer
registers 238 to 240°F, about 2 minutes.

Immediately pour honey over fruit mixture and quickly stir until combined
(mixture will be very thick and sticky). Quickly spoon mixture into springform
pan, spreading evenly with back of spoon. Dampen your hands and press mixture
firmly and evenly into pan to compact as much as possible. Bake in middle of
oven until edges start to rise slightly and become matte, 50 to 55 minutes.

Cool panforte completely in pan on a rack, then remove side of pan and invert,
peeling off paper. If making ahead, wrap panforte (see cooks' note, below). To
serve, cut with a serrated knife into small pieces.

Cooks' note:
€¢ The flavors of panforte deepen over time €” it's best made at least 1 week
ahead and chilled in a large sealed plastic bag. It can be made 1 month ahead
and chilled, wrapped in parchment and then kept in a sealed plastic bag.

Makes 1 (9-inch) cake.

December 2002
Gourmet Entertains
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

SportKite1

>From: (Vince Poroke)

>What cake should I serve?

Trifle

Ellen

Bob

Vince Poroke wrote:

> I need a cake to serve for dessert at Christmas. I usually serve pies
> for dessert at Christmas but I preparing a different meal. Here is
> the menu for the evening any suggestions will be well appreciated.
>
> Prime Rib with caramelized shallots and garlic
> Mashed potatoes
> Yorkshire pudding
> Peas, Corn and baby Carrots
> Bisquick Garlic Cheddar rolls (my twist is a little sour cream to the
> mix).
>
> What cake should I serve?

Buche de Noel and fruitcake both spring to mind.

Bob
Puester

Vince Poroke wrote:

> I need a cake to serve for dessert at Christmas. I usually serve pies
> for dessert at Christmas but I preparing a different meal. Here is
> the menu for the evening any suggestions will be well appreciated.
>
> Prime Rib with caramelized shallots and garlic
> Mashed potatoes
> Yorkshire pudding
> Peas, Corn and baby Carrots
> Bisquick Garlic Cheddar rolls (my twist is a little sour cream to the
> mix).
>
> What cake should I serve?

Fruitcake!!!!! (Just kidding...)

Somethin
Zuppa Inglese
trifle
cream puffs/eclairs
krumkake (that Norwegian stacked thing)
cheesecake
cannoli
Barb's Orgasmic Brownies topped with ice cream,
fudge suace and whipped cream
Got the idea???
gloria p

Vince Poroke

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message >...
> "Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I need a cake to serve for dessert at Christmas. I usually serve pies
> > for dessert at Christmas but I preparing a different meal. Here is
> > the menu for the evening any suggestions will be well appreciated.
> >
> > Prime Rib with caramelized shallots and garlic
> > Mashed potatoes
> > Yorkshire pudding
> > Peas, Corn and baby Carrots
> > Bisquick Garlic Cheddar rolls (my twist is a little sour cream to the
> > mix).
> >
> > What cake should I serve?

> I think that cheesecake or carrot cake are good choices.

I like the carrot cake thing.

> Bake in preheated 350F oven for 30 to 35
>
> minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.
>
> Cool in pans on wire racks for 15 minutes.
>
> Remove to racks to cool completely.
>

> Cream Cheese Frosting:
>
> 1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
>
> 1 3 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
>
> 3.5 cups powdered sugar
>
> 1 tsp. grated orange peel
>
> 2 Tsp. orange juice
>
> 1 tsp. vanilla
>
> 1/3 cup butter
>
> remaining nuts to garnish.

Vince Poroke

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message .com>...
> "Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I need a cake to serve for dessert at Christmas. I usually serve pies
> > for dessert at Christmas but I preparing a different meal. Here is
> > the menu for the evening any suggestions will be well appreciated.
> >
> > Prime Rib with caramelized shallots and garlic
> > Mashed potatoes
> > Yorkshire pudding
> > Peas, Corn and baby Carrots
> > Bisquick Garlic Cheddar rolls (my twist is a little sour cream to the
> > mix).
> >
> > What cake should I serve?

> To me, your menu cries out for chocolate, as in chocolate cake.
>
> Jack Chomplit

I was thinking that might be a good option. Maybe a tall cake with a
very soft chocolate icing. hmm. Thanks.
Vox Humana

"Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
om...
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> > "Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > I need a cake to serve for dessert at Christmas. I usually serve pies
> > > for dessert at Christmas but I preparing a different meal. Here is
> > > the menu for the evening any suggestions will be well appreciated.
> > >
> > > Prime Rib with caramelized shallots and garlic
> > > Mashed potatoes
> > > Yorkshire pudding
> > > Peas, Corn and baby Carrots
> > > Bisquick Garlic Cheddar rolls (my twist is a little sour cream to the
> > > mix).
> > >
> > > What cake should I serve?

> > I think that cheesecake or carrot cake are good choices.
> >

> I like the carrot cake thing.

That carrot cake is very moist and flavorfull and always gets raves. The
other good thing about it is that it is best when made a day or two ahead of
time. You could make it on the 23rd for your your Christmas dinner. The
flavors meld and the moisture equalizes on sitting. You can decorate it
with some marzipan carrots and sprinkle with some coconut if you want to
dress it up a bit.

hahabogus

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in
. com:

> "Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
> om...
>> I need a cake to serve for dessert at Christmas. I usually serve pies
>> for dessert at Christmas but I preparing a different meal. Here is
>> the menu for the evening any suggestions will be well appreciated.
>>
>> Prime Rib with caramelized shallots and garlic
>> Mashed potatoes
>> Yorkshire pudding
>> Peas, Corn and baby Carrots
>> Bisquick Garlic Cheddar rolls (my twist is a little sour cream to the
>> mix).
>>
>> What cake should I serve?

> To me, your menu cries out for chocolate, as in chocolate cake.
>
> Jack Chomplit

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Chocolate Tunnel Cake

cakes, desserts, recipe by : me.

- - CAKE:
1 box 2 layer chocolate cake with pudding
1/2 cup butter (replaces oil for box mix)
1 1/3 cup whole Milk or half and half; (replaces water for box mix )
3 eggs

-- - FILLING:
16 oz cream cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup crushed nuts (See Notes); optional my idea

- - GLAZE:; see Notes
2 tsp Butter
2 tsp corn syrup
2 oz semisweet chocolate

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350degrees F.

Prepare cake mix according to package directions, substituting butter for
oil. and milk/cream for water.

(I used a stick of room temp. unmelted unsalted butter cut up into small
chunks.)

Reserve 1 cup of batter.

Pour remaining batter into a 12 cup greased and floured fluted tube
pan.

Combine cream cheese and sugar, mixing well at medium speed on
an electric mixer until well blended. Blend in eggs, one at a time. Mixing
well between additions.

Pour over batter in the pan.Carefully (stay away from the sides).

Spoon reserved batter over cream cheese mixture to hide it.
Bake 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out
clean. Cool 30 minutes; remove to a wire rack.

Combine margarine, chocolate and corn syrup in a small saucepan. Cook over
low heat until chocolate is melted. Pour over cooled cake.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Notes
I doubled the Glaze to 4 ts butter and corn syrup and 4 oz semi sweet
chocolate. Worked well.

Adding crushed toasted nuts to the filling should work fine. Hazelnuts or
cashews come to mind. Plus a dash of either vanilla or a hazelnut liquer.

A Raspberry Sauce

***RASPBERRY SAUCE***
1 pint raspberries
2 tablespoons Sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Raspberry sauce - Place ingredients in blender and puree until smooth.
Strain to remove seeds. Serve with cake.

Converted by MC_Buster.

Yield: 12 servings

Preparation Time: 1:30

And the beet goes on! (or under)
-me just a while ago

Lynn Gifford

Puester > wrote in message >...
> Vince Poroke wrote:
> >
> > I need a cake to serve for dessert at Christmas. I usually serve pies
> > for dessert at Christmas but I preparing a different meal. Here is
> > the menu for the evening any suggestions will be well appreciated.
> >
> > Prime Rib with caramelized shallots and garlic
> > Mashed potatoes
> > Yorkshire pudding
> > Peas, Corn and baby Carrots
> > Bisquick Garlic Cheddar rolls (my twist is a little sour cream to the
> > mix).

That's a gorgeous menu but do you really want a
heavy dessert with the beef and yorkshire?
I'm, for the trifle but use angelfood cake and creme fraiche
with whatever fresh fruit looks best and a matching liqueur -
like mandarin orange (clementines?) and Grand Marnier etc.

Krum kakke are not stacked. They are cooked on an iron
like Pizelle and rolled into a cylinder or cone shape.
(In North Dakota, even the Jews must speak culinary Norwegian!)

Also for the carrots - try skipping all but a bit of the butter.
Immediately before serving, stir in a few tablespoons of Amaretto.

Lynn in Fargo

> > What cake should I serve?

> Fruitcake!!!!! (Just kidding...)
>
> Somethin
> Zuppa Inglese
> trifle
> cream puffs/eclairs
> krumkake (that Norwegian stacked thing)
> cheesecake
> cannoli
> Barb's Orgasmic Brownies topped with ice cream,
> fudge suace and whipped cream
> Got the idea???
> gloria p

Chris and Bob Neidecker

"Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
om...
> I need a cake to serve for dessert at Christmas. I usually serve pies
> for dessert at Christmas but I preparing a different meal. Here is
> the menu for the evening any suggestions will be well appreciated.
>
> Prime Rib with caramelized shallots and garlic
> Mashed potatoes
> Yorkshire pudding
> Peas, Corn and baby Carrots
> Bisquick Garlic Cheddar rolls (my twist is a little sour cream to the
> mix).
>
> What cake should I serve?

I know that you didn't ask for comments on your menu, but I couldn't help
but notice that it's a bit starchy...potatoes, Yorkshire pudding (yum!),
peas, corn, and rolls (will have to try this recipe!). If I were you, I'd
tweak a little somehow...start with a green salad, drop one of the starchy
sides (my vote would be the potatoes), and maybe switch to a less-starchy
veggie. Then cake would make sense, and I'd go with something chocolatey.

If you want to leave your menu as is, I would go with some kind of flourless
dessert...creme brulee garnished with a few raspberries, perhaps. If you
can get your hands on some decent berries of any kind without having to take
out a second mortgage, a nice gratin of berries w/ a white wine sabayon
would be a great finish.

Wayne Boatwright

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

> "Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
> om...
>> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message

>> > "Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
>> > om...

>> > I think that cheesecake or carrot cake are good choices.
>> >

>> I like the carrot cake thing.

> That carrot cake is very moist and flavorfull and always gets raves.
> The other good thing about it is that it is best when made a day or
> two ahead of time. You could make it on the 23rd for your your
> Christmas dinner. The flavors meld and the moisture equalizes on
> sitting. You can decorate it with some marzipan carrots and sprinkle
> with some coconut if you want to dress it up a bit.

I also like the idea of carrot cake. There are many variations. The
recipe I most often use also has crushed pineapple, pecans, and coconut
in the batter.

Wayne

Christine Dabney

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 23:09:21 -0500, "Chris and Bob Neidecker"
> wrote:

>I know that you didn't ask for comments on your menu, but I couldn't help
>but notice that it's a bit starchy...potatoes, Yorkshire pudding (yum!),
>peas, corn, and rolls (will have to try this recipe!). If I were you, I'd
>tweak a little somehow...start with a green salad, drop one of the starchy
>sides (my vote would be the potatoes), and maybe switch to a less-starchy
>veggie. Then cake would make sense, and I'd go with something chocolatey.

Yes, I noticed the same thing. Really heavy on the starches:
everything is a really high carbohydrate side. I would be in a coma
after a meal such as this.

Christine
Wayne Boatwright

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 23:09:21 -0500, "Chris and Bob Neidecker"
> > wrote:
>

>>I know that you didn't ask for comments on your menu, but I couldn't
>>help but notice that it's a bit starchy...potatoes, Yorkshire pudding
>>(yum!), peas, corn, and rolls (will have to try this recipe!). If I
>>were you, I'd tweak a little somehow...start with a green salad, drop
>>one of the starchy sides (my vote would be the potatoes), and maybe
>>switch to a less-starchy veggie. Then cake would make sense, and I'd
>>go with something chocolatey.

> Yes, I noticed the same thing. Really heavy on the starches:
> everything is a really high carbohydrate side. I would be in a coma
> after a meal such as this.
>
> Christine

Yes, I agree too. However, I would keep the potatoes and pull the peas,
substituting Brussels sprouts or perhaps red cabbage. If I used the red
cabbage I'd probably swith the corn for green beans.

Of course by doing all this, we'd be tearing the OP's menu apart.

Wayne

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Lynn Gifford" > wrote in message
om...

> That's a gorgeous menu but do you really want a
> heavy dessert with the beef and yorkshire?
> I'm, for the trifle but use angelfood cake and creme fraiche
> with whatever fresh fruit looks best and a matching liqueur -
> like mandarin orange (clementines?) and Grand Marnier etc.
>
> Krum kakke are not stacked. They are cooked on an iron
> like Pizelle and rolled into a cylinder or cone shape.
> (In North Dakota, even the Jews must speak culinary Norwegian!)
>
> Also for the carrots - try skipping all but a bit of the butter.
> Immediately before serving, stir in a few tablespoons of Amaretto.
>
> Lynn in Fargo

Lynn in Fargo? There's a name from the past! Or have you been posting
lately and I just never noticed?

I was thinking of you as a drove through Fargo on the way to/from
Minneapolis. Know of any good places to eat in Fargo? For next time, so
maybe I can actually stop instead of driving straight :-).

rona

Vince Poroke

Puester > wrote in message >...
> Vince Poroke wrote:
> >
> > I need a cake to serve for dessert at Christmas. I usually serve pies
> > for dessert at Christmas but I preparing a different meal. Here is
> > the menu for the evening any suggestions will be well appreciated.
> >
> > Prime Rib with caramelized shallots and garlic
> > Mashed potatoes
> > Yorkshire pudding
> > Peas, Corn and baby Carrots
> > Bisquick Garlic Cheddar rolls (my twist is a little sour cream to the
> > mix).
> >
> > What cake should I serve?

> Fruitcake!!!!! (Just kidding...)
>
> Somethin
> Zuppa Inglese
> trifle
> cream puffs/eclairs
> krumkake (that Norwegian stacked thing)
> cheesecake
> cannoli
> Barb's Orgasmic Brownies topped with ice cream,
> fudge suace and whipped cream
> Got the idea???
> gloria p

You are making me drool
Vince Poroke

"Chris and Bob Neidecker" > wrote in message >...
> "Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I need a cake to serve for dessert at Christmas. I usually serve pies
> > for dessert at Christmas but I preparing a different meal. Here is
> > the menu for the evening any suggestions will be well appreciated.
> >
> > Prime Rib with caramelized shallots and garlic
> > Mashed potatoes
> > Yorkshire pudding
> > Peas, Corn and baby Carrots
> > Bisquick Garlic Cheddar rolls (my twist is a little sour cream to the
> > mix).
> >
> > What cake should I serve?

> I know that you didn't ask for comments on your menu, but I couldn't help
> but notice that it's a bit starchy...potatoes, Yorkshire pudding (yum!),
> peas, corn, and rolls (will have to try this recipe!). If I were you, I'd
> tweak a little somehow...start with a green salad, drop one of the starchy
> sides (my vote would be the potatoes), and maybe switch to a less-starchy
> veggie. Then cake would make sense, and I'd go with something chocolatey.
>
> If you want to leave your menu as is, I would go with some kind of flourless
> dessert...creme brulee garnished with a few raspberries, perhaps. If you
> can get your hands on some decent berries of any kind without having to take
> out a second mortgage, a nice gratin of berries w/ a white wine sabayon
> would be a great finish.

Thanks for the advice. We are all berried out though. I bought way
too many blueberries for TG. The starch thing, hmmm. I have never
put any thought in to that. This has alway been our celebratory meal
in our family, there would be a mutiny if I removed anything.
Vince Poroke

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in message >...
> Christine Dabney > wrote in
> :
>
> > On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 23:09:21 -0500, "Chris and Bob Neidecker"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>I know that you didn't ask for comments on your menu, but I couldn't
> >>help but notice that it's a bit starchy...potatoes, Yorkshire pudding
> >>(yum!), peas, corn, and rolls (will have to try this recipe!). If I
> >>were you, I'd tweak a little somehow...start with a green salad, drop
> >>one of the starchy sides (my vote would be the potatoes), and maybe
> >>switch to a less-starchy veggie. Then cake would make sense, and I'd
> >>go with something chocolatey.

> > Yes, I noticed the same thing. Really heavy on the starches:
> > everything is a really high carbohydrate side. I would be in a coma
> > after a meal such as this.
> >
> > Christine
> >

> Yes, I agree too. However, I would keep the potatoes and pull the peas,
> substituting Brussels sprouts or perhaps red cabbage. If I used the red
> cabbage I'd probably swith the corn for green beans.
>
> Of course by doing all this, we'd be tearing the OP's menu apart.
>
> Wayne

My family has no interest in balance, starches, carbs and so on. They
care about what tastes good. Red cabbage and brussell sprouts are
tant amount to blasfamy. This is a day of indulgences with little
regard to health.
Vox Humana

"Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
om...
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in message

> > Christine Dabney > wrote in
> > :
> >
> > > On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 23:09:21 -0500, "Chris and Bob Neidecker"

> > > Yes, I noticed the same thing. Really heavy on the starches:
> > > everything is a really high carbohydrate side. I would be in a coma
> > > after a meal such as this.
> > >
> > > Christine
> > >

> > Yes, I agree too. However, I would keep the potatoes and pull the peas,
> > substituting Brussels sprouts or perhaps red cabbage. If I used the red
> > cabbage I'd probably swith the corn for green beans.
> >
> > Of course by doing all this, we'd be tearing the OP's menu apart.
> >
> > Wayne

> My family has no interest in balance, starches, carbs and so on. They
> care about what tastes good. Red cabbage and brussell sprouts are
> tant amount to blasfamy. This is a day of indulgences with little
> regard to health.

I've made the mistake of preparing holiday meals based on nutrition and
aesthetics. I've tried "innovative" recipes that put a twist on old
standards. I have come to the same conclusion as you. People want familiar
food that tastes good to them and reinforce the nostalgic memories of past
holidays. Seeing that I am more likely to get a good response to something
like garlic mashed potatoes with lots of butter and cream rather than
chipotle, cranberry, and feta stuffed zucchini blossoms, I do the obvious
and server what people like.

Katra

Vince Poroke wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in message >...
> > Christine Dabney > wrote in
> > :
> >
> > > On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 23:09:21 -0500, "Chris and Bob Neidecker"

> > > Yes, I noticed the same thing. Really heavy on the starches:
> > > everything is a really high carbohydrate side. I would be in a coma
> > > after a meal such as this.
> > >
> > > Christine
> > >

> > Yes, I agree too. However, I would keep the potatoes and pull the peas,
> > substituting Brussels sprouts or perhaps red cabbage. If I used the red
> > cabbage I'd probably swith the corn for green beans.
> >
> > Of course by doing all this, we'd be tearing the OP's menu apart.
> >
> > Wayne

> My family has no interest in balance, starches, carbs and so on. They
> care about what tastes good. Red cabbage and brussell sprouts are
> tant amount to blasfamy. This is a day of indulgences with little
> regard to health.

It's funnier if you spell it right... ;-)

"Blasphemy".

Netscape has a built in spell-checker.

Oh, and you CAN serve balanced meals that taste good!
I do it every day, except I avoid starch as much as possible.
Complex, high fiber carbs are tastier and better IHMO.

Cabbage? Brussell sprouts? Ick!

Try Asparagus, brocolli, cauliflower, summer squash, snow peas, bok
choy... even grated carrots or fresh green beans. I do a lot of stir fry
as it is usually low in fat and calories, and easy to get creative with.
It also takes less time than you'd think if you limit the veggies to 2
or 3 per dish along with the meat. Add moderate amounts of fresh ginger,
garlic, onion (either powder or fresh) and just a dash of soy or teryaki.

In other words, veggies with FLAVOR! And better texture. :-)

I cook for a picky (elderly) pappasan.

HTH?
K.
Jack Schidt®

"Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
om...
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in message

> > Christine Dabney > wrote in
> > :
> >
> > > On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 23:09:21 -0500, "Chris and Bob Neidecker"

> > > Yes, I noticed the same thing. Really heavy on the starches:
> > > everything is a really high carbohydrate side. I would be in a coma
> > > after a meal such as this.
> > >
> > > Christine
> > >

> > Yes, I agree too. However, I would keep the potatoes and pull the peas,
> > substituting Brussels sprouts or perhaps red cabbage. If I used the red
> > cabbage I'd probably swith the corn for green beans.
> >
> > Of course by doing all this, we'd be tearing the OP's menu apart.
> >
> > Wayne

> My family has no interest in balance, starches, carbs and so on. They
> care about what tastes good. Red cabbage and brussell sprouts are
> tant amount to blasfamy. This is a day of indulgences with little
> regard to health.

Hey, it's a holiday; ya eat stuff you like, that tastes good and that
reminds you of xmas past. Unless last xmas was the one you knocked the tree
over and started a fire after a bad Heimlich maneuver.

Jack Nightmare

LIMEYNO1

I thought we'd do a goose this year...... Until I saw the price! A normal
size goose? $50-54 Can

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in message

> "Lynn Gifford" > wrote in message
> om...
>
> > That's a gorgeous menu but do you really want a
> > heavy dessert with the beef and yorkshire?
> > I'm, for the trifle but use angelfood cake and creme fraiche
> > with whatever fresh fruit looks best and a matching liqueur -
> > like mandarin orange (clementines?) and Grand Marnier etc.
> >
> > Krum kakke are not stacked. They are cooked on an iron
> > like Pizelle and rolled into a cylinder or cone shape.
> > (In North Dakota, even the Jews must speak culinary Norwegian!)
> >
> > Also for the carrots - try skipping all but a bit of the butter.
> > Immediately before serving, stir in a few tablespoons of Amaretto.
> >
> > Lynn in Fargo
> >

> Lynn in Fargo? There's a name from the past! Or have you been posting
> lately and I just never noticed?
>
> I was thinking of you as a drove through Fargo on the way to/from
> Minneapolis. Know of any good places to eat in Fargo? For next time, so
> maybe I can actually stop instead of driving straight :-).
>
> rona
> --
> ***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the inconvenience!***

Vince Poroke

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message >...
> "Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote in message

> > > Christine Dabney > wrote in
> > > :

> > > Yes, I agree too. However, I would keep the potatoes and pull the peas,
> > > substituting Brussels sprouts or perhaps red cabbage. If I used the red
> > > cabbage I'd probably swith the corn for green beans.
> > >
> > > Of course by doing all this, we'd be tearing the OP's menu apart.
> > >
> > > Wayne

> > My family has no interest in balance, starches, carbs and so on. They
> > care about what tastes good. Red cabbage and brussell sprouts are
> > tant amount to blasfamy. This is a day of indulgences with little
> > regard to health.

> I've made the mistake of preparing holiday meals based on nutrition and
> aesthetics. I've tried "innovative" recipes that put a twist on old
> standards. I have come to the same conclusion as you. People want familiar
> food that tastes good to them and reinforce the nostalgic memories of past
> holidays. Seeing that I am more likely to get a good response to something
> like garlic mashed potatoes with lots of butter and cream rather than
> chipotle, cranberry, and feta stuffed zucchini blossoms, I do the obvious
> and server what people like.

That is it! I am not a 5 star restaurant I did not design a menu to
compliment blah blah blah. I serve what my family loves to eat. It
is about comfort food. Don't get me wrong I supply a well balanced
diet for my family but on this day it is about taste buds.
Vince Poroke

Katra > wrote in message >...
> Vince Poroke wrote:
> >
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote in message >...
> > > Christine Dabney > wrote in
> > > :

> > > Yes, I agree too. However, I would keep the potatoes and pull the peas,
> > > substituting Brussels sprouts or perhaps red cabbage. If I used the red
> > > cabbage I'd probably swith the corn for green beans.
> > >
> > > Of course by doing all this, we'd be tearing the OP's menu apart.
> > >
> > > Wayne

> > My family has no interest in balance, starches, carbs and so on. They
> > care about what tastes good. Red cabbage and brussell sprouts are
> > tant amount to blasfamy. This is a day of indulgences with little
> > regard to health.

> It's funnier if you spell it right... ;-)
>
> "Blasphemy".
>
> Netscape has a built in spell-checker.
>
> Oh, and you CAN serve balanced meals that taste good!
> I do it every day, except I avoid starch as much as possible.
> Complex, high fiber carbs are tastier and better IHMO.
>
> Cabbage? Brussell sprouts? Ick!
>
> Try Asparagus, brocolli, cauliflower, summer squash, snow peas, bok
> choy... even grated carrots or fresh green beans. I do a lot of stir fry
> as it is usually low in fat and calories, and easy to get creative with.
> It also takes less time than you'd think if you limit the veggies to 2
> or 3 per dish along with the meat. Add moderate amounts of fresh ginger,
> garlic, onion (either powder or fresh) and just a dash of soy or teryaki.
>
> In other words, veggies with FLAVOR! And better texture. :-)
>
> I cook for a picky (elderly) pappasan.
>
> HTH?
> K.

I guess you never heard the saying about correcting someones spelling
on the internet. It is like running in the special olympics, ahhh
never mind. I too serve a well balanced diet to my family but being
concerned with yorkshire pudding and potatoes on the same plate is
unavailing.

Wayne Boatwright

(Vince Poroke) wrote in
om:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> message >...
>> Christine Dabney > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 23:09:21 -0500, "Chris and Bob Neidecker"

>> > Yes, I noticed the same thing. Really heavy on the starches:
>> > everything is a really high carbohydrate side. I would be in a
>> > coma after a meal such as this.
>> >
>> > Christine
>> >

>> Yes, I agree too. However, I would keep the potatoes and pull the
>> peas, substituting Brussels sprouts or perhaps red cabbage. If I
>> used the red cabbage I'd probably swith the corn for green beans.
>>
>> Of course by doing all this, we'd be tearing the OP's menu apart.
>>
>> Wayne

> My family has no interest in balance, starches, carbs and so on. They
> care about what tastes good. Red cabbage and brussell sprouts are
> tant amount to blasfamy. This is a day of indulgences with little
> regard to health.

Vince, my suggestion wasn't meant primarily to nutritionally "balance"
your menu. We happen to really like Brussels sprouts, red cabbage, and
green beans, and we like them at a holiday meal. Whatever is meaningful
and enjoyable to you is definitely what you should have. That said,
however, if I were sitting at your table I would still be longing for a
dish of sprouts or cabbage! <G>

Wayne
Lynn Gifford

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in message >...
> "Lynn Gifford" > wrote in message
> om...
>
> > That's a gorgeous menu but do you really want a
> > heavy dessert with the beef and yorkshire?
> > I'm, for the trifle but use angelfood cake and creme fraiche
> > with whatever fresh fruit looks best and a matching liqueur -
> > like mandarin orange (clementines?) and Grand Marnier etc.

That would be me! Was gone. Am back.
There are no restaurants in Fargo.
Only franchises. BUT if you gotta favorite, we got 'em ALL!
Seriously, there are a few good places.
Let me work on a list to post (but everyone else will laugh at me!)
If all else fails, you could come to my house!

> Lynn in Fargo? There's a name from the past! Or have you been posting
> lately and I just never noticed?
>
> I was thinking of you as a drove through Fargo on the way to/from
> Minneapolis. Know of any good places to eat in Fargo? For next time, so
> maybe I can actually stop instead of driving straight :-).
>
> rona

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Lynn Gifford" > wrote in message
om...

> That would be me! Was gone. Am back.
> There are no restaurants in Fargo.
> Only franchises. BUT if you gotta favorite, we got 'em ALL!
> Seriously, there are a few good places.
> Let me work on a list to post (but everyone else will laugh at me!)
> If all else fails, you could come to my house!

I'd appreciate the list! I heard that Grand Forks may even have better food
than Fargo--true? Someone elsewhere asked where to get a good meal in
Fargo, and I replied that they should drive up to Winnipeg :-).

Good to see you back. Hope everything was OK in your part of the world
during your absence!

rona

Lynn Gifford

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in message >...
> "Lynn Gifford" > wrote in message
> om...
>
> > That would be me! Was gone. Am back.
> > There are no restaurants in Fargo.
> > Only franchises. BUT if you gotta favorite, we got 'em ALL!
> > Seriously, there are a few good places.
> > Let me work on a list to post (but everyone else will laugh at me!)
> > If all else fails, you could come to my house!
> >

> I'd appreciate the list! I heard that Grand Forks may even have better food
> than Fargo--true? Someone elsewhere asked where to get a good meal in
> Fargo, and I replied that they should drive up to Winnipeg :-).
>
> Good to see you back. Hope everything was OK in your part of the world
> during your absence!
>
> rona

Sanders in Grand Forks is considered the best restaurant between the
Twin Cities and Seattle.
Lynn

Laura

Something to keep in mind is your guests expectations also.. I applaud you
for wanting to do something different but a holiday dinner, served in
America, on the holiday, just screams "u must have pies" . My family and
friends would find it unforgivable to just have cake. If it is a party
situation before the big day other deserts are fine and forgive me if I
missed that. Thanksgiving and Christmas though..I expect pie..

--

Laura

"Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
om...
> "Chris and Bob Neidecker" > wrote in message

> > "Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > I need a cake to serve for dessert at Christmas. I usually serve pies
> > > for dessert at Christmas but I preparing a different meal. Here is
> > > the menu for the evening any suggestions will be well appreciated.
> > >
> > > Prime Rib with caramelized shallots and garlic
> > > Mashed potatoes
> > > Yorkshire pudding
> > > Peas, Corn and baby Carrots
> > > Bisquick Garlic Cheddar rolls (my twist is a little sour cream to the
> > > mix).
> > >
> > > What cake should I serve?

> > I know that you didn't ask for comments on your menu, but I couldn't

help
> > but notice that it's a bit starchy...potatoes, Yorkshire pudding (yum!),
> > peas, corn, and rolls (will have to try this recipe!). If I were you,

I'd
> > tweak a little somehow...start with a green salad, drop one of the

starchy
> > sides (my vote would be the potatoes), and maybe switch to a

less-starchy
> > veggie. Then cake would make sense, and I'd go with something

chocolatey.

> > If you want to leave your menu as is, I would go with some kind of

flourless
> > dessert...creme brulee garnished with a few raspberries, perhaps. If

you
> > can get your hands on some decent berries of any kind without having to

take
> > out a second mortgage, a nice gratin of berries w/ a white wine sabayon
> > would be a great finish.

> Thanks for the advice. We are all berried out though. I bought way
> too many blueberries for TG. The starch thing, hmmm. I have never
> put any thought in to that. This has alway been our celebratory meal
> in our family, there would be a mutiny if I removed anything.

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Lynn Gifford" > wrote in message
om...

> Sanders in Grand Forks is considered the best restaurant between the
> Twin Cities and Seattle.
> Lynn

I'll keep that for future reference :-). I'm dying to drive down to
Minneapolis again but it isn't likely to happen anytime soon :-(.

rona