DJS0302

Default coffee beans

I'm buying a coffee grinder for my brother in law for Christmas. I'm including
a bag of coffee beans to go with it. I know he likes Colombian style coffee so
I know what flavor to buy but I have a choice of three brands: Starbucks,
Millstone, or Kroger Private Selection. Since I don't drink coffee I was
wondering what the coffee drinkers here think is the best brand of the three
I've listed.

Thanks
Jack Schidt®

"DJS0302" > wrote in message
> I'm buying a coffee grinder for my brother in law for Christmas. I'm

including
> a bag of coffee beans to go with it. I know he likes Colombian style

coffee so
> I know what flavor to buy but I have a choice of three brands:

Starbucks,
> Millstone, or Kroger Private Selection. Since I don't drink coffee I was
> wondering what the coffee drinkers here think is the best brand of the

three
> I've listed.
>
> Thanks

I find Charbucks to taste over-roasted and the prevailing winds of the
coffee gurus are vehemently against charbucks. I don't know the other
brands but wanted to give you the heads up over the storm of comments you'll
receive regarding charbucks. Even I can't bring myself to use their maiden
name and I'm no coffee guru. Coffee drinker, yes.

The other tip I have is to expand your query to alt.coffee

Jack Valdez

Mia

"DJS0302" > wrote in message ...
> I'm buying a coffee grinder for my brother in law for Christmas. I'm including
> a bag of coffee beans to go with it. I know he likes Colombian style coffee so
> I know what flavor to buy but I have a choice of three brands: Starbucks,
> Millstone, or Kroger Private Selection. Since I don't drink coffee I was
> wondering what the coffee drinkers here think is the best brand of the three
> I've listed.
>
> Thanks

Hi,
I personally like Peet's Coffee better than Starbuck's. Each package has a "roasted on" date -- and it tastes very fresh. I looked up their selection of Colombian -- here's the link.
You can also get there from going to www.peets.com > coffee > coffee of the Americas.

Mia

Frogleg

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:11:43 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> wrote:

>"DJS0302" > wrote in message
>> I'm buying a coffee grinder for my brother in law for Christmas. I'm

>including
>> a bag of coffee beans to go with it. I know he likes Colombian style

>coffee so
>> I know what flavor to buy but I have a choice of three brands:

>Starbucks,
>> Millstone, or Kroger Private Selection. Since I don't drink coffee I was
>> wondering what the coffee drinkers here think is the best brand of the

>three
>> I've listed.

>I find Charbucks to taste over-roasted and the prevailing winds of the
>coffee gurus are vehemently against charbucks.
>
>The other tip I have is to expand your query to alt.coffee

They will just sneer at "supermarket" beans. I suggest to DSJ to buy
whichever has the prettiest package, and only get sneers from BIL
instead of a whole newsgroup. After that one pkg, BIL can choose his
own.

BTW, Colombian isn't a 'style', it's a growing region. Good coffee,
IMHO.
Mark Thorson

"Jack Schidt®" wrote:

> The other tip I have is to expand your query to alt.coffee

Doesn't alt.coffee tend to over-roast newbies?

Scott

In article >,
ospam (DJS0302) wrote:

> I'm buying a coffee grinder for my brother in law for Christmas. I'm
> including
> a bag of coffee beans to go with it. I know he likes Colombian style coffee
> so
> I know what flavor to buy but I have a choice of three brands: Starbucks,
> Millstone, or Kroger Private Selection. Since I don't drink coffee I was
> wondering what the coffee drinkers here think is the best brand of the three
> I've listed.

Is he a coffee nut? If so, getting him the wrong grinder may be no
present. Hope you're not getting him a blade grinder. Or one of those
cheap Salton clones.

Look in your yellow pages--or the Superpages
<
http://yellowpages.superpages.com/yp...EE&STYPE=AD&CB
=&C=&N=&A=&X=&P=&AL=&R=&PS=15&RR=&PP=&E=&T=&S=&Z =>
(where you can narrow the search by area code) for a local roaster.
You'll likely be able to get fresher, better quality beans than the ones
you suggest. Asking us to choose from that list of mediocre at best
candidates is a pointless question.

What do mean "Colombian style"? Just any beans from Colombia? A
Colombian Huila Excelso? Colombian Narino? An roasted how?

please mail OT responses only
Jack Schidt®

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> "Jack Schidt®" wrote:
>
> > The other tip I have is to expand your query to alt.coffee

> Doesn't alt.coffee tend to over-roast newbies?

Yes, but there are some fine grinds and a couple of automatic drips there
too.

Jack Sanka

j.j.

Hark! I heard "Jack Schidt®" > say:
> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> > "Jack Schidt®" wrote:

> > > The other tip I have is to expand your query to alt.coffee

> > Doesn't alt.coffee tend to over-roast newbies?

> Yes, but there are some fine grinds and a couple of automatic drips there
> too.
>
> Jack Sanka

*Chuckle*! I like you, Jack...

--
j.j. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
Boron Elgar

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:52:23 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> wrote:

>"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>> "Jack Schidt®" wrote:
>>
>> > The other tip I have is to expand your query to alt.coffee

>> Doesn't alt.coffee tend to over-roast newbies?
>>

>Yes, but there are some fine grinds and a couple of automatic drips there
>too.
>
>Jack Sanka

But don't get them steamed.

Boron

Jack Schidt®

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:52:23 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> > wrote:

> >> Doesn't alt.coffee tend to over-roast newbies?
> >>

> >Yes, but there are some fine grinds and a couple of automatic drips there
> >too.
> >
> >Jack Sanka
> >

> But don't get them steamed.
>
> Boron

True, but they are quick to filter.

Jack Yuban

Boron Elgar

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:39:04 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:52:23 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
>> > wrote:

>> >Yes, but there are some fine grinds and a couple of automatic drips there
>> >too.
>> >
>> >Jack Sanka
>> >

>> But don't get them steamed.
>>
>> Boron

>True, but they are quick to filter.
>
>Jack Yuban

They cannot be said to inhibit the flow of conversation.

Boron

kilikini

Jack, you are always good for a smile. BTW, I love your name "tags".

Kilikini

> True, but they are quick to filter.
>
> Jack Yuban

Jack Schidt®

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> Jack, you are always good for a smile. BTW, I love your name "tags".
>
> Kilikini

Why, thank you. I make them myself.

Jack SigMan

Jack Schidt®

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:39:04 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:52:23 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"

there

> >> But don't get them steamed.
> >>
> >> Boron

> >True, but they are quick to filter.
> >
> >Jack Yuban

> They cannot be said to inhibit the flow of conversation.
>
> Boron

Yes, some like to spout; others don't have a whole latte to say.

Jack FullONuts

Boron Elgar

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:53:55 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:39:04 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>there

>> >True, but they are quick to filter.
>> >
>> >Jack Yuban

>> They cannot be said to inhibit the flow of conversation.
>>
>> Boron
>>

>Yes, some like to spout; others don't have a whole latte to say.
>
>Jack FullONuts

Self -espresso is good for the soul.

Boron

Jack Schidt®

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:53:55 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:39:04 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"

> >> .. .

> >there

> >> They cannot be said to inhibit the flow of conversation.
> >>
> >> Boron
> >>

> >Yes, some like to spout; others don't have a whole latte to say.
> >
> >Jack FullONuts
> >

> Self -espresso is good for the soul.
>
> Boron

There's a lot of that in the French Press these days.

Jack Folger