Martin Golding

Default Smoked beef brisket

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:34:15 +0000, Ignoramus32482 wrote:
> I smoked a beef brisket last weekend. Bought a big one in vacuum
> packaging, with layer of fat. Applied my own smoking rub, and smoked
> for 17 hours.

I'm way too lazy to get up 17 hours before dinner. I've found a Trick.
After the first six hours, the smoke is in as far as it's going to go,
and you're just cooking. So, at six hours, I pull the brisket or butt,
wrap in foil and freeze, and throw on a heap of ribs for dinner (ribs
are done in about four hours). When we feel like barbecue, we throw a
lump of meat in the oven at 250 or in a crockpot for about ten hours.
We don't have to get up early, we have yummy slow cooked ribs for
dinner (and the herd of poodles hoards the bones), and get a freezer
full of lovely smoked meat that we can even haul over and finish at
smoker-deprived friends.

Low carb has been very very good to me.

Martin (215/163/165 since 4/2003)
--
Martin Golding Salad isn't _food_, salad is what food _eats_.
KotLQ KotSM SMTC #2 member PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Martin Golding

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:34:15 +0000, Ignoramus32482 wrote:
> I smoked a beef brisket last weekend. Bought a big one in vacuum
> packaging, with layer of fat. Applied my own smoking rub, and smoked
> for 17 hours.

I'm way too lazy to get up 17 hours before dinner. I've found a Trick.
After the first six hours, the smoke is in as far as it's going to go,
and you're just cooking. So, at six hours, I pull the brisket or butt,
wrap in foil and freeze, and throw on a heap of ribs for dinner (ribs
are done in about four hours). When we feel like barbecue, we throw a
lump of meat in the oven at 250 or in a crockpot for about ten hours.
We don't have to get up early, we have yummy slow cooked ribs for
dinner (and the herd of poodles hoards the bones), and get a freezer
full of lovely smoked meat that we can even haul over and finish at
smoker-deprived friends.

Low carb has been very very good to me.

Martin (215/163/165 since 4/2003)
--
Martin Golding Salad isn't _food_, salad is what food _eats_.
KotLQ KotSM SMTC #2 member PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

zxcvbob

Ignoramus7328 wrote:
> In article >, Martin Golding wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:34:15 +0000, Ignoramus32482 wrote:
>>
>>>I smoked a beef brisket last weekend. Bought a big one in vacuum
>>>packaging, with layer of fat. Applied my own smoking rub, and smoked
>>>for 17 hours.

>>I'm way too lazy to get up 17 hours before dinner. I've found a Trick.

> For me, it is not easy. I start up the grill at 5pm on Friday, keep
> adding wood chunks, and remove brisket at say 10 am on Saturday.
>

>>After the first six hours, the smoke is in as far as it's going to go,
>>and you're just cooking. So, at six hours, I pull the brisket or butt,
>>wrap in foil and freeze, and throw on a heap of ribs for dinner (ribs
>>are done in about four hours). When we feel like barbecue, we throw a
>>lump of meat in the oven at 250 or in a crockpot for about ten hours.
>>We don't have to get up early, we have yummy slow cooked ribs for
>>dinner (and the herd of poodles hoards the bones), and get a freezer
>>full of lovely smoked meat that we can even haul over and finish at
>>smoker-deprived friends.

> I will take note of the crockpot suggestion.
>
> I am a big fan of crockpotting, for cooking cheap beef. Cheap meat has
> a good flavor.

Try using an electric roaster and you'll never go back to a crockpot.

Bob
zxcvbob

Ignoramus7328 wrote:
> In article >, Martin Golding wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:34:15 +0000, Ignoramus32482 wrote:
>>
>>>I smoked a beef brisket last weekend. Bought a big one in vacuum
>>>packaging, with layer of fat. Applied my own smoking rub, and smoked
>>>for 17 hours.

>>I'm way too lazy to get up 17 hours before dinner. I've found a Trick.

> For me, it is not easy. I start up the grill at 5pm on Friday, keep
> adding wood chunks, and remove brisket at say 10 am on Saturday.
>

>>After the first six hours, the smoke is in as far as it's going to go,
>>and you're just cooking. So, at six hours, I pull the brisket or butt,
>>wrap in foil and freeze, and throw on a heap of ribs for dinner (ribs
>>are done in about four hours). When we feel like barbecue, we throw a
>>lump of meat in the oven at 250 or in a crockpot for about ten hours.
>>We don't have to get up early, we have yummy slow cooked ribs for
>>dinner (and the herd of poodles hoards the bones), and get a freezer
>>full of lovely smoked meat that we can even haul over and finish at
>>smoker-deprived friends.

> I will take note of the crockpot suggestion.
>
> I am a big fan of crockpotting, for cooking cheap beef. Cheap meat has
> a good flavor.

Try using an electric roaster and you'll never go back to a crockpot.

Bob
Chris and Bob Neidecker

"Martin Golding" > wrote in message
news

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:34:15 +0000, Ignoramus32482 wrote:
> > I smoked a beef brisket last weekend. Bought a big one in vacuum
> > packaging, with layer of fat. Applied my own smoking rub, and smoked
> > for 17 hours.

> I'm way too lazy to get up 17 hours before dinner. I've found a Trick.
> After the first six hours, the smoke is in as far as it's going to go,
> and you're just cooking. So, at six hours, I pull the brisket or butt,
> wrap in foil and freeze, and throw on a heap of ribs for dinner (ribs
> are done in about four hours). When we feel like barbecue, we throw a
> lump of meat in the oven at 250 or in a crockpot for about ten hours.
> We don't have to get up early, we have yummy slow cooked ribs for
> dinner (and the herd of poodles hoards the bones), and get a freezer
> full of lovely smoked meat that we can even haul over and finish at
> smoker-deprived friends.

We'll have to give this a try. We smoked a couple of pork butts last
weekend and it took forever. In the past, my husband hadn't paid attention
to the temp in the Brinkman, so the meat was done a lot faster (but wasn't
properly tender). This time, he used the thermometer and kept the temp at
about 240, and it took about 14 hours. (Not all of that time was in the
smoker...after about 11 hours, he put it on the gas grill over indirect low
heat...and then after he gave up and went to bed, I finished it in a 250F
oven).

Looking forward to trying this method...thanks!

Chris

jmcquown

Chris and Bob Neidecker wrote:
> "Martin Golding" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:34:15 +0000, Ignoramus32482 wrote:
>>> I smoked a beef brisket last weekend. Bought a big one in vacuum
>>> packaging, with layer of fat. Applied my own smoking rub, and
>>> smoked for 17 hours.

>> I'm way too lazy to get up 17 hours before dinner. I've found a
>> Trick. After the first six hours, the smoke is in as far as it's
>> going to go, and you're just cooking. So, at six hours, I pull the
>> brisket or butt, wrap in foil and freeze, and throw on a heap of
>> ribs for dinner (ribs are done in about four hours). When we feel
>> like barbecue, we throw a lump of meat in the oven at 250 or in a
>> crockpot for about ten hours.
>> We don't have to get up early, we have yummy slow cooked ribs for
>> dinner (and the herd of poodles hoards the bones), and get a freezer
>> full of lovely smoked meat that we can even haul over and finish at
>> smoker-deprived friends.
>>

> We'll have to give this a try. We smoked a couple of pork butts last
> weekend and it took forever. In the past, my husband hadn't paid
> attention to the temp in the Brinkman, so the meat was done a lot
> faster (but wasn't properly tender). This time, he used the
> thermometer and kept the temp at about 240, and it took about 14
> hours. (Not all of that time was in the smoker...after about 11
> hours, he put it on the gas grill over indirect low heat...and then
> after he gave up and went to bed, I finished it in a 250F oven).
>
> Looking forward to trying this method...thanks!
>
> Chris

Why does this remind me of the time my brother smoked the Thanksgiving
turkey? He'd been out partying until 3 AM and had to get up at the crack of
dawn to fire up the smoker. Happened to be the coldest night/day on record
and the coals wouldn't stay lit. All he wanted to do was go back to bed but
he kept having to tend the smoker. I was laughing at him the entire time.
That'll teach ya!

Jill

Teeb

I hope those are beef ribs.. pork ribs are not usually something you allow
dogs to have as they can be brittle and they will swallow splinters of
bone...!!
And if it *is* pork, then you don't need to tell me.. I will be horrified..
and don't need to know how you've *done it for years* etc.. it does happen,
usually sooner or later.. sigh

Teeb

"Martin Golding" > wrote in message
news

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:34:15 +0000, Ignoramus32482 wrote:
> > I smoked a beef brisket last weekend. Bought a big one in vacuum
> > packaging, with layer of fat. Applied my own smoking rub, and smoked
> > for 17 hours.

> I'm way too lazy to get up 17 hours before dinner. I've found a Trick.
> After the first six hours, the smoke is in as far as it's going to go,
> and you're just cooking. So, at six hours, I pull the brisket or butt,
> wrap in foil and freeze, and throw on a heap of ribs for dinner (ribs
> are done in about four hours). When we feel like barbecue, we throw a
> lump of meat in the oven at 250 or in a crockpot for about ten hours.
> We don't have to get up early, we have yummy slow cooked ribs for
> dinner (and the herd of poodles hoards the bones), and get a freezer
> full of lovely smoked meat that we can even haul over and finish at
> smoker-deprived friends.
>
> Low carb has been very very good to me.
>
> Martin (215/163/165 since 4/2003)
> --
> Martin Golding Salad isn't _food_, salad is what food _eats_.
> KotLQ KotSM SMTC #2 member PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Teeb

I hope those are beef ribs.. pork ribs are not usually something you allow
dogs to have as they can be brittle and they will swallow splinters of
bone...!!
And if it *is* pork, then you don't need to tell me.. I will be horrified..
and don't need to know how you've *done it for years* etc.. it does happen,
usually sooner or later.. sigh

Teeb

"Martin Golding" > wrote in message
news

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:34:15 +0000, Ignoramus32482 wrote:
> > I smoked a beef brisket last weekend. Bought a big one in vacuum
> > packaging, with layer of fat. Applied my own smoking rub, and smoked
> > for 17 hours.

> I'm way too lazy to get up 17 hours before dinner. I've found a Trick.
> After the first six hours, the smoke is in as far as it's going to go,
> and you're just cooking. So, at six hours, I pull the brisket or butt,
> wrap in foil and freeze, and throw on a heap of ribs for dinner (ribs
> are done in about four hours). When we feel like barbecue, we throw a
> lump of meat in the oven at 250 or in a crockpot for about ten hours.
> We don't have to get up early, we have yummy slow cooked ribs for
> dinner (and the herd of poodles hoards the bones), and get a freezer
> full of lovely smoked meat that we can even haul over and finish at
> smoker-deprived friends.
>
> Low carb has been very very good to me.
>
> Martin (215/163/165 since 4/2003)
> --
> Martin Golding Salad isn't _food_, salad is what food _eats_.
> KotLQ KotSM SMTC #2 member PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

stark

In article >, Chris and Bob
Neidecker > wrote:

> We'll have to give this a try. We smoked a couple of pork butts last
> weekend and it took forever. In the past, my husband hadn't paid attention
> to the temp in the Brinkman, so the meat was done a lot faster (but wasn't
> properly tender). This time, he used the thermometer and kept the temp at
> about 240, and it took about 14 hours. (Not all of that time was in the
> smoker...after about 11 hours, he put it on the gas grill over indirect low
> heat...and then after he gave up and went to bed, I finished it in a 250F
> oven).
>
> Looking forward to trying this method...thanks!

Pork butts should be pullable at 190 deg. My ECB never could reach that
temp until I let the water pan run dry. I'd replenish the water pan
after the first three hours, then not replenish again. Doing thusly I
reached 190 deg. in ten hours. The meat was pullable with lots of
bark.
Wayne

Ignoramus23926 > wrote in news:cd60mr
:

> In article >, stark wrote:
>> Pork butts should be pullable at 190 deg. My ECB never could reach that
>> temp until I let the water pan run dry. I'd replenish the water pan
>> after the first three hours, then not replenish again. Doing thusly I
>> reached 190 deg. in ten hours. The meat was pullable with lots of
>> bark.

> I am sorry, what do you mean by pullable.

Where the meat can be pulled apart with forks or fingers.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

Wayne

Ignoramus23926 > wrote in news:cd60mr
:

> In article >, stark wrote:
>> Pork butts should be pullable at 190 deg. My ECB never could reach that
>> temp until I let the water pan run dry. I'd replenish the water pan
>> after the first three hours, then not replenish again. Doing thusly I
>> reached 190 deg. in ten hours. The meat was pullable with lots of
>> bark.

> I am sorry, what do you mean by pullable.

Where the meat can be pulled apart with forks or fingers.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Default User

Ignoramus23926 wrote:

> In article >, Wayne wrote:
> > Ignoramus23926 > wrote in news:cd60mr

> >> I am sorry, what do you mean by pullable.

> > Where the meat can be pulled apart with forks or fingers.
> >

> Didn't know people wanted to do it with smoked pork butts, of all
> things...

Google for "pulled pork". Achieve enlightenment about one of the great
food items out there.

Brian Rodenborn
hahabogus

Default User > wrote in
:

> Ignoramus23926 wrote:
>>
>> In article >, Wayne wrote:
>> > Ignoramus23926 > wrote in

>> > Where the meat can be pulled apart with forks or fingers.
>> >

>> Didn't know people wanted to do it with smoked pork butts, of all
>> things...

> Google for "pulled pork". Achieve enlightenment about one of the great
> food items out there.
>

> Brian Rodenborn

SHHHH! lest we forget the cheapness that chicken wings were. Please stop
letting the cat outa the bag...

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
hahabogus

:

hahabogus wrote:

> SHHHH! lest we forget the cheapness that chicken wings were. Please stop
> letting the cat outa the bag...

Oops.

Brian Rodenborn

BBQ Beef Brisket with wet-dry rub Rusty[_1_] Recipes (moderated) 0 08-05-2008 02:58 AM
Smoked Brisket Result Debbie General Cooking 3 19-07-2005 12:45 AM
Smoked Brisket Duckie ® Recipes 0 12-02-2004 02:35 PM
Pastrami = Smoked Corned Beef Brisket? Tank General Cooking 1 01-12-2003 04:54 AM