jmcquown

Default pulled pork

sf wrote:
> I know I'm opening up a hornet's nest here, but I have some
> questions...
>
> I've never eaten the real thing, but want to try it - is
> mayonaise based "white sauce" a common topping?
>
> What about cole slaw - does it go in the sandwich or on the
> side?
>
> What side dishes are usually served with pulled pork?
>
> TIA
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Living in West TN for 30+ years, also having lived in South Carolina a
couple of years before that, I've never heard of a mayo-based "white sauce"
for pulled pork. Reg stated there is an Alabama sauce that is mayo based.
Not around here!

Most folks just use their fav (red) BBQ sauce. It's up to you whether that
BBQ sauce is mustard or vinegar based. I prefer the vinegar based since I'm
not a huge fan of yellow mustard. The sauce is added as a topping as
desired to the pulled pork, whether you eat the pork as a sandwich or not.

As for the slaw, if you're going to make a pulled pork sandwich, around here
it goes *on* the sandwich (which is served on the cheap hamburger buns
others have mentioned). But I don't like cole slaw so if I must eat pulled
pork I leave slaw off completely.

Tara mentioned the usual sides - BBQ or baked beans, potato salad, pickles,
potato chips, are all common sides with pulled pork. Tara also mentioned
desserts - banana pudding, cobblers and the like.

Are you going to make the pulled pork at home or have you found a place that
you can go to eat it? (I forget where you live, sorry!)

Jill

Nancy Young

jmcquown wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > I know I'm opening up a hornet's nest here, but I have some
> > questions...

> As for the slaw, if you're going to make a pulled pork sandwich, around here
> it goes *on* the sandwich (which is served on the cheap hamburger buns
> others have mentioned).

I haven't the vaguest idea why I knew that. Maybe because that's how
sloppy joes are served. But I always put pulled pork on the cheap
hamburger bun.

> Tara mentioned the usual sides - BBQ or baked beans, potato salad, pickles,
> potato chips, are all common sides with pulled pork. Tara also mentioned
> desserts - banana pudding, cobblers and the like.

I think this belongs under an earlier thread. What foods cancel each
other out. I didn't think of it in time to respond, but I once made
a chili hotdog. My chili does not taste like a hotdog. My hotdogs
do not taste like chili. Put chili on the hotdog? One giant
flavorless nothing. They tasted like each other, and not in a good
way.

Baked beans with pulled pork sandwiches? People might do it, but it
wouldn't work for me. Too much alike.

> Are you going to make the pulled pork at home or have you found a place that
> you can go to eat it? (I forget where you live, sorry!)

sf ... might give you a clue.

(giggling) nancy
Cindy Fuller

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> I know I'm opening up a hornet's nest here, but I have some
> questions...
>
> I've never eaten the real thing, but want to try it - is
> mayonaise based "white sauce" a common topping?

Not in North Carolina. In the eastern part of the state, the sauce is
little more than vinegar and cayenne pepper. From about Durham west,
tomato-based sauces make an appearance. These sauces are thinner than
the KC Masterpiece-type sauces you buy in the grocery store.

There is also a difference between the areas of the state in which parts
of the swine become pulled pork. The whole hog approach is popular down
east, but that takes a serious size apparatus and several folks with
serious biceps to cook said hog. The areas from Durham west use pork
shoulder, aka Boston butts. These are more maneuverable for the average
home cook with an average grill/BBQ setup.

> What about cole slaw - does it go in the sandwich or on the
> side?

Usually in the sandwich. Ideally the coleslaw is made with a vinegar
and ketchup base (at least the Lexington-style is). The cabbage should
be finely chopped, not in long shreds. I did go to one restaurant in
Goldsboro (Wilbers, in east NC) that topped its BBQ sandwich with a
mayo-based slaw.

> What side dishes are usually served with pulled pork?

French fries, hush puppies, more slaw, potato salad, greens or green
beans cooked beyond dead with salt pork. Some folks swear by banana
pudding, but pie or cobbler is my preferred NC BBQ dessert.

Friday night we went to a BBQ joint here in Seattle called Smokin'
Pete's. This is a melting pot place--it serves both pork and beef,
chicken, fried catfish, and duck. Their sides and sauces vary, based on
the whim of the chef. The first time we went there, they were pushing
(Republic of ) Georgia-type condiments. This last time, they were into
Thai sweet chili sauce.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Mpoconnor7

>>What side dishes are usually served with pulled pork?
>>

>Baked beans, potato salad, sliced white bread, pickles, potato chips,
>banana pudding, peach cobbler

Hushpuppies

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".
Mpoconnor7

>>What side dishes are usually served with pulled pork?
>>

>Baked beans, potato salad, sliced white bread, pickles, potato chips,
>banana pudding, peach cobbler

Hushpuppies

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 07:45:19 GMT, sf > wrote:

>I know I'm opening up a hornet's nest here, but I have some
>questions...
>
>I've never eaten the real thing, but want to try it - is
>mayonaise based "white sauce" a common topping?
>
>What about cole slaw - does it go in the sandwich or on the
>side?
>
>What side dishes are usually served with pulled pork?

You are treading on thin ice. That is a regional matter. Totally
different versions are defended to the death by pitmasters and their
disciples from different places.

I am not adept in barbecue of any region and will not try to
elaborate, because I know I would get something wrong. I am happy to
taste any of them.

I do think pulled pork is a GOOD THING. I just don't want to define
it.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Nuke the *** whales for Jesus" -- anon T-shirt
Louis Cohen

I cook real pulled pork fairly often. After pulling the meat, I typically
dress it with an Eastern North Carolina sauce - cider vinegar, salt, pepper,
and chile. Some people like a more typical tomato based BBQ sauce.

If I serve the pork on tortillas, I may skip the cider vinegar and serve it
with pico de gallo.

It's often eaten on hamburger rolls with cole slaw on top of the meat. I
like a vinegar-based cole slaw on the side. And, it's great on corn
tortillas.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"sf" > wrote in message
news

> I know I'm opening up a hornet's nest here, but I have some
> questions...
>
> I've never eaten the real thing, but want to try it - is
> mayonaise based "white sauce" a common topping?
>
> What about cole slaw - does it go in the sandwich or on the
> side?
>
> What side dishes are usually served with pulled pork?
>
> TIA
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

alzelt

Curly Sue wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 07:54:04 -0400, Nancy Young >
> wrote:
>

>>sf wrote:
>>

>>>I've never eaten the real thing, but want to try it - is
>>>mayonaise based "white sauce" a common topping?

>>I've never heard of that, the pulled pork has barbecue sauce.
>>

>>>What about cole slaw - does it go in the sandwich or on the
>>>side?

>>On the sandwich. Obligatory cheap white hamburger roll.

> I've been experimenting making hamburger rolls and have yet to attain
> cheap white hamburger roll perfection :>
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Perhaps you were not thinking Wonder Bread consistency.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

alzelt

Curly Sue wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 07:45:19 GMT, sf > wrote:
>

>>I know I'm opening up a hornet's nest here, but I have some
>>questions...
>>
>>I've never eaten the real thing, but want to try it - is
>>mayonaise based "white sauce" a common topping?
>>
>>What about cole slaw - does it go in the sandwich or on the
>>side?

> I like it on the sandwich because it complements the bite of the BBQ
> sauce with every bite, sort of like a hot fudge does for vanilla ice
> cream.
>

> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

In Eastern Carolina, cole slaw is a traditional topping. Try this one.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Eastern Carolina Coleslaw

Recipe By : Jeanne Voltz
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Barbeque Dinner
Lunch Salads
Vegetables

1 head cabbage(1.5lb) -- finely chopped
4 green onions(with tops) -- sliced thin
1 c low fat mayonnaise
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp white or cider vinegar
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp salt

combine cabbage and green onions in large bowl. In small bowl, combine
remaining ingredients. Pour over slaw and toss. Cover and refrigerate
for at least one hour.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Serving Ideas : Place on top of pulled pork.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

alzelt

Curly Sue wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 07:45:19 GMT, sf > wrote:
>

>>I know I'm opening up a hornet's nest here, but I have some
>>questions...
>>
>>I've never eaten the real thing, but want to try it - is
>>mayonaise based "white sauce" a common topping?
>>
>>What about cole slaw - does it go in the sandwich or on the
>>side?

> I like it on the sandwich because it complements the bite of the BBQ
> sauce with every bite, sort of like a hot fudge does for vanilla ice
> cream.
>

> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

In Eastern Carolina, cole slaw is a traditional topping. Try this one.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Eastern Carolina Coleslaw

Recipe By : Jeanne Voltz
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Barbeque Dinner
Lunch Salads
Vegetables

1 head cabbage(1.5lb) -- finely chopped
4 green onions(with tops) -- sliced thin
1 c low fat mayonnaise
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp white or cider vinegar
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp salt

combine cabbage and green onions in large bowl. In small bowl, combine
remaining ingredients. Pour over slaw and toss. Cover and refrigerate
for at least one hour.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Serving Ideas : Place on top of pulled pork.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

H. Harrand

There is a place here in Alabama (Bunyan's) in Florence (close to Memphis,
sorta) that serves a KILLER coleslaw on their pork sandwiches. It's a mild
or hot (lovin' the hot) mustard slaw. My guess would be grated cabbage,
onions and carrots with mustard, hot sauce and sugar to hold it all
together. It is stellar w/the smoky pork. I always make a stop there if
I'm in that area.

yummy,
helen

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > I know I'm opening up a hornet's nest here, but I have some
> > questions...
> >
> > I've never eaten the real thing, but want to try it - is
> > mayonaise based "white sauce" a common topping?

> Not in North Carolina. In the eastern part of the state, the sauce is
> little more than vinegar and cayenne pepper. From about Durham west,
> tomato-based sauces make an appearance. These sauces are thinner than
> the KC Masterpiece-type sauces you buy in the grocery store.
>
> There is also a difference between the areas of the state in which parts
> of the swine become pulled pork. The whole hog approach is popular down
> east, but that takes a serious size apparatus and several folks with
> serious biceps to cook said hog. The areas from Durham west use pork
> shoulder, aka Boston butts. These are more maneuverable for the average
> home cook with an average grill/BBQ setup.
> >
> > What about cole slaw - does it go in the sandwich or on the
> > side?

> Usually in the sandwich. Ideally the coleslaw is made with a vinegar
> and ketchup base (at least the Lexington-style is). The cabbage should
> be finely chopped, not in long shreds. I did go to one restaurant in
> Goldsboro (Wilbers, in east NC) that topped its BBQ sandwich with a
> mayo-based slaw.
> >
> > What side dishes are usually served with pulled pork?
> >

> French fries, hush puppies, more slaw, potato salad, greens or green
> beans cooked beyond dead with salt pork. Some folks swear by banana
> pudding, but pie or cobbler is my preferred NC BBQ dessert.
>
> Friday night we went to a BBQ joint here in Seattle called Smokin'
> Pete's. This is a melting pot place--it serves both pork and beef,
> chicken, fried catfish, and duck. Their sides and sauces vary, based on
> the whim of the chef. The first time we went there, they were pushing
> (Republic of ) Georgia-type condiments. This last time, they were into
> Thai sweet chili sauce.
>
> Cindy
>
> --
> C.J. Fuller
>
> Delete the obvious to email me

JimLane

alzelt wrote:

> In Eastern Carolina, cole slaw is a traditional topping. Try this one.

snip

> 1 c low fat mayonnaise

Right. Since when is "low fat" mayo traditional? It is a relatively new
creation compared to the rich history of pulled pork.

jim

JimLane

alzelt wrote:

> In Eastern Carolina, cole slaw is a traditional topping. Try this one.

snip

> 1 c low fat mayonnaise

Right. Since when is "low fat" mayo traditional? It is a relatively new
creation compared to the rich history of pulled pork.

jim

Wayne

JimLane > wrote in news:1089696388.422663@news-
1.nethere.net:

> alzelt wrote:
>
>> In Eastern Carolina, cole slaw is a traditional topping. Try this one.

> snip
>
>> 1 c low fat mayonnaise

> Right. Since when is "low fat" mayo traditional? It is a relatively new
> creation compared to the rich history of pulled pork.
>

> jim

I've had many pulled pork sandwiches with a slaw topping, but never one
that had a mayo based dressing. I doubt I'd like it, and I'd certainly
consider it non-traditioinal.

That said, however, there's nothing wrong with subbing full-fat mayo with
a low fat product. Some are rather good. One I've tried recently that
surprised me with its good taste and texture is Best Food's "Just 2
Good".

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Curly Sue

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 05:32:14 GMT, Wayne > wrote:

>JimLane > wrote in news:1089696388.422663@news-
>1.nethere.net:
>
>> alzelt wrote:
>>
>>> In Eastern Carolina, cole slaw is a traditional topping. Try this one.

>>> 1 c low fat mayonnaise

>> Right. Since when is "low fat" mayo traditional? It is a relatively new
>> creation compared to the rich history of pulled pork.
>>
>> jim

>I've had many pulled pork sandwiches with a slaw topping, but never one
>that had a mayo based dressing. I doubt I'd like it, and I'd certainly
>consider it non-traditioinal.

It may not be traditional, but it is really good.

>That said, however, there's nothing wrong with subbing full-fat mayo with
>a low fat product. Some are rather good. One I've tried recently that
>surprised me with its good taste and texture is Best Food's "Just 2
>Good".

I'll have to try that to believe it. In that case I doubt that I'd
like it. The Hellman's recipe is a such a perfect balance that any
changes ruin it. I've mentioned before that even the version they
make in Canada is not as good. (and I don't understand *why* they
alter the recipe for Canada). I have been unable to make anything
close to it in taste at home (texture, yes. taste, no).

Sue(tm)

jmcquown

H. Harrand wrote:
> There is a place here in Alabama (Bunyan's) in Florence (close to
> Memphis, sorta)

Florence is close to Memphis, about 150 miles. I got stuck in Florence once
for car repairs. I highly recommend the Pizza Hut across from the Toyota
dealership. The motel next door accepted pets, that was all I cared about.
I had my little dog Sampson with me driving back from South Carolina after a
visit with my parents. They had to order the parts for the car.

Whatever, just get me the hell out of here, please. Sorry, I did not sample
their local pulled pork or coleslaw, I was supposed to be at work that
Monday morning. I had to call my boss at home on a Sunday night and and say
"Ed, hi! I'm stuck in Florence, Alabama. I think I'll be back on Tuesday."

Wasn't quite up to sampling the local foodstuff at that point. Mussels
Shoals isn't far from Florence, though. I'll bet that little burg had some
good eats! I just didn't get to try.

Jill

that serves a KILLER coleslaw on their pork
> sandwiches. It's a mild or hot (lovin' the hot) mustard slaw. My
> guess would be grated cabbage, onions and carrots with mustard, hot
> sauce and sugar to hold it all together. It is stellar w/the smoky
> pork. I always make a stop there if I'm in that area.
>
> yummy,
> helen
>
> "Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> sf > wrote:
>>
>>> I know I'm opening up a hornet's nest here, but I have some
>>> questions...
>>>
>>> I've never eaten the real thing, but want to try it - is
>>> mayonaise based "white sauce" a common topping?

>> Not in North Carolina. In the eastern part of the state, the sauce
>> is little more than vinegar and cayenne pepper. From about Durham
>> west, tomato-based sauces make an appearance. These sauces are
>> thinner than the KC Masterpiece-type sauces you buy in the grocery
>> store.
>>
>> There is also a difference between the areas of the state in which
>> parts of the swine become pulled pork. The whole hog approach is
>> popular down east, but that takes a serious size apparatus and
>> several folks with serious biceps to cook said hog. The areas from
>> Durham west use pork shoulder, aka Boston butts. These are more
>> maneuverable for the average home cook with an average grill/BBQ
>> setup.
>>>
>>> What about cole slaw - does it go in the sandwich or on the
>>> side?

>> Usually in the sandwich. Ideally the coleslaw is made with a vinegar
>> and ketchup base (at least the Lexington-style is). The cabbage
>> should be finely chopped, not in long shreds. I did go to one
>> restaurant in Goldsboro (Wilbers, in east NC) that topped its BBQ
>> sandwich with a mayo-based slaw.
>>>
>>> What side dishes are usually served with pulled pork?
>>>

>> French fries, hush puppies, more slaw, potato salad, greens or green
>> beans cooked beyond dead with salt pork. Some folks swear by banana
>> pudding, but pie or cobbler is my preferred NC BBQ dessert.
>>
>> Friday night we went to a BBQ joint here in Seattle called Smokin'
>> Pete's. This is a melting pot place--it serves both pork and beef,
>> chicken, fried catfish, and duck. Their sides and sauces vary,
>> based on the whim of the chef. The first time we went there, they
>> were pushing (Republic of ) Georgia-type condiments. This last
>> time, they were into Thai sweet chili sauce.
>>
>> Cindy
>>
>> --
>> C.J. Fuller
>>
>> Delete the obvious to email me

Bob

Jill wrote:

> Mussels Shoals isn't far from Florence, though. I'll bet that
> little burg had some good eats! I just didn't get to try.

Don't know about the food, but I hear they've got the swampers, and they've
been known to pick a song or two.

Bob

alzelt

JimLane wrote:

> alzelt wrote:
>
>> In Eastern Carolina, cole slaw is a traditional topping. Try this one.

> snip
>
>> 1 c low fat mayonnaise

> Right. Since when is "low fat" mayo traditional? It is a relatively new
> creation compared to the rich history of pulled pork.
>

> jim

More room for CH. Bud.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

alzelt

Wayne wrote:

> JimLane > wrote in news:1089696388.422663@news-
> 1.nethere.net:
>

>>alzelt wrote:
>>

>>>In Eastern Carolina, cole slaw is a traditional topping. Try this one.

>>snip
>>

>>> 1 c low fat mayonnaise

>>Right. Since when is "low fat" mayo traditional? It is a relatively new
>>creation compared to the rich history of pulled pork.
>>

>>jim
>>

> I've had many pulled pork sandwiches with a slaw topping, but never one
> that had a mayo based dressing. I doubt I'd like it, and I'd certainly
> consider it non-traditioinal.

Whether or not you would like it, it IS traditional in Eastern Carolina.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Wayne

alzelt > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:

>> I've had many pulled pork sandwiches with a slaw topping, but never
>> one that had a mayo based dressing. I doubt I'd like it, and I'd
>> certainly consider it non-traditioinal.

> Whether or not you would like it, it IS traditional in Eastern
> Carolina.

I must confess, Alan, that I've never eaten pulled pork in Eastern
Carolina. Everywhere else I've eaten it (TN, KY, AK, MS), the slaw that
went on top of the pulled pork was vinegar-based with no mayo. Slaw served
on the side have sometimes had mayo. I like all kinds of coleslaw but, as
I said, I _doubt_ that I'd like mayo-based slaw on top of the pork.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

Wayne

alzelt > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:

>> I've had many pulled pork sandwiches with a slaw topping, but never
>> one that had a mayo based dressing. I doubt I'd like it, and I'd
>> certainly consider it non-traditioinal.

> Whether or not you would like it, it IS traditional in Eastern
> Carolina.

I must confess, Alan, that I've never eaten pulled pork in Eastern
Carolina. Everywhere else I've eaten it (TN, KY, AK, MS), the slaw that
went on top of the pulled pork was vinegar-based with no mayo. Slaw served
on the side have sometimes had mayo. I like all kinds of coleslaw but, as
I said, I _doubt_ that I'd like mayo-based slaw on top of the pork.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
jmcquown

Bob wrote:
> Jill wrote:
>
>> Mussels Shoals isn't far from Florence

> Don't know about the food, but I hear they've got the swampers, and
> they've been known to pick a song or two.
>
> Bob

ROFLMAO! Not many would have picked up on the song reference, Bob. Good
for you!

Jill

Wayne

(Curly Sue) wrote in
:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 05:32:14 GMT, Wayne > wrote:
>
>>JimLane > wrote in news:1089696388.422663@news-
>>1.nethere.net:

>>> Right. Since when is "low fat" mayo traditional? It is a relatively
>>> new creation compared to the rich history of pulled pork.
>>>
>>> jim

>>I've had many pulled pork sandwiches with a slaw topping, but never
>>one that had a mayo based dressing. I doubt I'd like it, and I'd
>>certainly consider it non-traditioinal.

> It may not be traditional, but it is really good.

I'd probably like it as a side, but not on top. And it may be
traditional in Eastern Carolina. I've never had BBQ in that area.

> I'll have to try that to believe it. In that case I doubt that I'd
> like it. The Hellman's recipe is a such a perfect balance that any
> changes ruin it. I've mentioned before that even the version they
> make in Canada is not as good. (and I don't understand *why* they
> alter the recipe for Canada). I have been unable to make anything
> close to it in taste at home (texture, yes. taste, no).

When we lived in Ohio we always used Hellman's and now we use Best Food's
here in AZ. I can't tell them apart. I've never had the version made in
Canada.

My strong preference would still be Best Food's regular mayo, but when
you're trying to cut the fat you've got to use something. The "Just 2
Good" is absolutely the best reduced-fat mayo product I've tasted,
including the "light" versions, and it even has less fat than the light
versions. You might find that you don't like it or even hate it, but for
me it's better than going without.

> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
sf

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:00:01 GMT, The Cook
> wrote:

> The rolls must be Wonder bread or the local equivalent.

Toasted or not???

sf

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:44:25 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> Are you going to make the pulled pork at home or have you found a place that
> you can go to eat it?

I'm going to make it at home (and take it to a picnic
already cooked), but I was going to cheat and make it in the
oven because I don't have a "real" smoker, just a Weber... I
think the process would be more like carnitas made with a
Carolina mop sauce. I think it will taste the same in the
end... crunchy outside, tender inside.

:-)

I'd prefer a vinegar based mop (if I do it in the oven, I'll
marinade it first).

Would you please post your favorite (vinegar based) mop
recipe?

> (I forget where you live, sorry!)

That's okay, sf = San Francisco

sf

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 18:22:14 GMT, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

> Ideally the coleslaw is made with a vinegar
> and ketchup base (at least the Lexington-style is).

That's verrrry interesting - do you have a recipe?

sf

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 18:18:19 -0700, "Louis Cohen"
> wrote:

> I cook real pulled pork fairly often. After pulling the meat, I typically
> dress it with an Eastern North Carolina sauce - cider vinegar, salt, pepper,
> and chile.

Can you give me proportions or at least what to taste for?
This is the first time I've realized chili (jalapeno?) was a
crucial ingredient... sounds good to me!

> Some people like a more typical tomato based BBQ sauce.
>
> If I serve the pork on tortillas, I may skip the cider vinegar and serve it
> with pico de gallo.

Meaning you don't baste it with the mop sauce or you don't
serve it with the mop sauce?

> It's often eaten on hamburger rolls with cole slaw on top of the meat. I
> like a vinegar-based cole slaw on the side.

What's your recipe? I'm weird. I make a decent mayo based
cole slaw, but I prefer to eat vinegar based slaw - which I
don't think I make as well.

> And, it's great on corn tortillas.

I bet it is!

BOB

sf wrote:
> I know I'm opening up a hornet's nest here, but I have some
> questions...
>
> I've never eaten the real thing, but want to try it - is
> mayonaise based "white sauce" a common topping?
>
> What about cole slaw - does it go in the sandwich or on the
> side?
>
> What side dishes are usually served with pulled pork?
>
> TIA
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
more specifically,
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/10-2.html#10.1.2
and:
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/15.html#15.1

Have fun!

BOB

BOB

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:00:01 GMT, The Cook
> > wrote:
>
>> The rolls must be Wonder bread or the local equivalent.

> Toasted or not???
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

*NOT*
Definately, *not*
;')

BOB

BOB

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 18:18:19 -0700, "Louis Cohen"
> > wrote:
>
>> I cook real pulled pork fairly often. After pulling the meat, I typically
>> dress it with an Eastern North Carolina sauce - cider vinegar, salt, pepper,
>> and chile.

> Can you give me proportions or at least what to taste for?
> This is the first time I've realized chili (jalapeno?) was a
> crucial ingredient... sounds good to me!

Cayenne seems to be more "traditional" than jalapeño, but you can try one, the
other, or both. For pork, *I* prefer cayenne.

I sent you a different post with several links that contain recipes. My sauce
changes (almost) every time I make it, but it's basically cider vinegar, red
pepper (cayenne) flakes, black pepper (freshly ground), cayenne pepper (powder),
salt, and sometimes some brown (or Turbino) sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil
(don't breath in the "steam") then cool. I usually start with 1/2 gallon of
cider vinegar, and everything else is to taste. (sorry, can't be more specific,
I probably started with something like this:
2 C cider vinegar
1 Tbs red pepper flakes
1 Tbs. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. salt (maybe a little more?)
1 Tsp. freshly ground black pepper (course ground)
up to 4 Tbs brown sugar
if it's too hot, add more cider vinegar, maybe a little water?

Same sauce (usually add a little more brown sugar) can be poured (boiling) over
very finely chopped cabbage, drained and both quickly chilled, then some added
back to the cabbage for a cole slaw that is used *in* the sammich with the
pulled pork. Bread is cheap, Wonder-type bread.

BOB

Cindy Fuller

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 18:22:14 GMT, Cindy Fuller
> > wrote:
>
> > Ideally the coleslaw is made with a vinegar
> > and ketchup base (at least the Lexington-style is).

> That's verrrry interesting - do you have a recipe?

As it happens, I do. This comes from a book called "North Carolina
Barbecue: Flavored by Time", by Bob Garner. It's a companion book to a
WUNC (Chapel Hill) PBS show. The show has numerous shots of Garner
tasting BBQ from various places and going into states of rapture.

Piedmont-Style Coleslaw

1 med. firm head of cabbage
1/2 c. cider vinegar
1/2 c. sugar
2/3 c. ketchup
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. Texas Pete hot sauce (Tabasco can be substituted--Texas Pete is
too bland for us)

Keep cabbage refrigerated until ready to use. Core and remove outer
leaves. Halve head and grate coarsely so cabbage bits are about the
size of BB's. Return cabbage to refrigerator. In small mixing bowl,
combine vinegar, sugar, ketchup, and seasonings; mix well. Remove
cabbage from fridge and pour ketchup mixture over it; mix until well
blended. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving. Serves 20.

Notes: Lazy bum that I am, I use 1/2 the dressing recipe with a large
bag of coleslaw mix from the grocery store. I made this recipe for a
neighborhood potluck BBQ in Seattle last year and it was a big hit.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Cindy Fuller

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:00:01 GMT, The Cook
> > wrote:
>
> > The rolls must be Wonder bread or the local equivalent.

> Toasted or not???

Untoasted. You want the sandwich to be squooshy in your hands and make
a mess.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Donna Rose

In article >,
says...
> I'd prefer a vinegar based mop (if I do it in the oven, I'll
> marinade it first).
>
> Would you please post your favorite (vinegar based) mop
> recipe?

I just did my first-ever pulled pork butt two weeks ago. And yes, I did
it in the oven as I don't have a smoker. I didn't dare talk about it on
alt.food.barbecue, but for oven prepared pork, it was out of this world.

I used the following from Steve Raichlen's "How to Grill"

FOR THE MOP SAUCE:
1 cup cider vinegar
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon coarse salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes

FOR SERVING:

North Carolina Vinegar Sauce:
2 cups cider vinegar
3 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
4 teaspoons coarse salt
1 tablespoon Tabasco or other hot sauce
1 to 2 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
1 to 2 teaspoons black pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a nonreactive mixing bowl and whisk until
the salt and brown sugar dissolve. Will keep several months in the
'fridge. Makes about 2 1/4 cups.

Once you pull the pork, you pour the vinegar sauce over it for serving.
He recommends 3 cups of the sauce for a 5 to 7 pound pork butt.

Steve Raichlen's recommends a coleslaw recipe that consists of one small
head of green or savoy cabbage and 1 cup of the North Carolina vinegar
sauce.

I have to say I was a little skeptical of the vinegar sauce, but decided
to give it a try and it was, indeed, delicious.
--
Donna
A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.
No One

Since I live in an apartment, this is how I do mine. Coat the pork well
with a dry rub ofyour choice. Let sit in frig over night. Place pork in a
deep baking dish, smother with raw sliced onions and a goodly sprinkling of
Adolph's Meat Tenderizer (US), add a little water. Cover with lid or cover
with foil with slits. Bake for 4-6 hours on a slow oven 300 degrees, until
the meat "pulls" easily. Remove the foil about 1/2 way thru.

My own BBQ sauce.
Remove meat to dish. Place the remaining liquid in a saucepan to make the
BBQ sauce. Add about 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar, 4-5 cloves of fresh
garlic - finely diced, about ½ cup water, About ½ cup Heinz ketchup, about
1-2 tablespoons prepared mustard, about 4-5 tablespoons molasses and about
1/3 cup regular sugar (reg. Sugar + molasses = brown sugar), kosher salt,
pepper, Chipolte (hot and smoky flavored) and Cayenne pepper to taste,
regular pepper. You can add a tablespoon of prepared commercial BBQ sauce
if you are looking to add a certain hint of something like smoke etc. Taste
and adjust to your liking. Cook over medium-low heat until thick. Careful
not to burn! Strain the sauce into a container.

Either mix all the sauce into the pork or serve it on the side as a dipping
sauce to allow people to help themselves and accommodate those that don't
like their meat sauced.

Best BBQ sauce, I think, that is around and compliments the meat because it
contains some of the juice and seasonings from the pork.

Dennis

----------------------------

"sf" > wrote in message
news

> I know I'm opening up a hornet's nest here, but I have some
> questions...
>
> I've never eaten the real thing, but want to try it - is
> mayonaise based "white sauce" a common topping?
>
> What about cole slaw - does it go in the sandwich or on the
> side?
>
> What side dishes are usually served with pulled pork?
>
> TIA
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

sf

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:39:02 GMT, Donna Rose
> wrote:

> I just did my first-ever pulled pork butt two weeks ago. And yes, I did
> it in the oven as I don't have a smoker. I didn't dare talk about it on
> alt.food.barbecue, but for oven prepared pork, it was out of this world.

Many thanks, Donna! That's a keeper.

Jeff Russell

Hellman's and Best Foods are the same and the same company, just East and
West marketing.

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> (Curly Sue) wrote in
> :
>
> > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 05:32:14 GMT, Wayne > wrote:
> >
> >>JimLane > wrote in news:1089696388.422663@news-
> >>1.nethere.net:

> >>I've had many pulled pork sandwiches with a slaw topping, but never
> >>one that had a mayo based dressing. I doubt I'd like it, and I'd
> >>certainly consider it non-traditioinal.

> > It may not be traditional, but it is really good.

> I'd probably like it as a side, but not on top. And it may be
> traditional in Eastern Carolina. I've never had BBQ in that area.
>
> > I'll have to try that to believe it. In that case I doubt that I'd
> > like it. The Hellman's recipe is a such a perfect balance that any
> > changes ruin it. I've mentioned before that even the version they
> > make in Canada is not as good. (and I don't understand *why* they
> > alter the recipe for Canada). I have been unable to make anything
> > close to it in taste at home (texture, yes. taste, no).

> When we lived in Ohio we always used Hellman's and now we use Best Food's
> here in AZ. I can't tell them apart. I've never had the version made in
> Canada.
>
> My strong preference would still be Best Food's regular mayo, but when
> you're trying to cut the fat you've got to use something. The "Just 2
> Good" is absolutely the best reduced-fat mayo product I've tasted,
> including the "light" versions, and it even has less fat than the light
> versions. You might find that you don't like it or even hate it, but for
> me it's better than going without.
>

> > Sue(tm)
> > Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

> --
> Wayne in Phoenix
>
> If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

Wayne

"Jeff Russell" > wrote in

> Hellman's and Best Foods are the same and the same company, just East
> and West marketing.

Yes, I know, as I've lived in both areas of the country and have used both
brands, and I do believe the formulation is the same. However, some
companies market slightly different products based on area of distribution.
I'm glad they didn't mess around with their mayo. :-)

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Wayne