lepe

Default Crab cakes

I am looking for a good recipe for crab cakes as well as sauce to go with
them.

Happy holidays.

Wayne Boatwright

"lepe" > wrote in
:

> I am looking for a good recipe for crab cakes as well as sauce to go
> with them.
>
> Happy holidays.

There are tons of recipes for crab cakes on the net. The following is
one we liked very much and was published on Food Network.

Wayne

New Orleans Crab-cakes
Recipe courtesy Nanci Easterling
Show: Tyler's Ultimate Episode: Crab Cakes

1 1/2 stalks celery heart, finely chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 medium white onion, finely chopped
2 bunches of scallion, green part only, finely chopped
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, chopped
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
Salt
Freshly ground black and white pepper
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1/2 cup parsley leaves, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
1/2 cup smoked salmon
1 cup whipped cream
1/2 lemon, juiced
Hot sauce (recommended: Crystal's)
1 pound jumbo lump crab
3 cups seasoned bread crumbs
5 tablespoons corn or vegetable oil, for frying
2 tablespoons butter, for frying
Serving suggestion: Remoulade

In a big heavy bottomed frying pan saute celery, peppers, onions,
scallions in butter and oil. Add oregano, basil and thyme, salt and
white pepper. Lastly add parsley and garlic and cook until soft. Leave
to cool. Finely chop smoked salmon, then flatten it, using the blade of
a kitchen knife. Add the salmon to the whipped cream in a large mixing
bowl. Add dill and season with salt and white pepper. Add 1/2 of the
lemon juice and blend gently with spoon. Add 1 tablespoon of the sauteed
vegetables and herbs to the mousse. Fold egg whites into mousse. Check
the crabmeat for pieces of shell and put in a large clean bowl. Season
with a handful of bread crumbs, salt, pepper, hot sauce and remaining
lemon juice. Fold in mousse, taking care not to over mix it. Fold in the
rest of the vegetables and herbs and a handful of bread crumbs. Blend it
together very carefully with your hands taking care not to break up any
of the crabmeat and overwork the mousse. Gently work into little cakes
and bread them with more bread crumbs. Set aside. Heat the butter and
oil in a large heavy-bottomed frying pan. Fry the crab cakes until
golden brown on each side. Only turn them once after the bottom side is
browned.

Blonde Remoulade:
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon red bell pepper, finely chopped
3 tablespoons green onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons Creole mustard
1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
1 teaspoon capers, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons parsley leaves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended Crystal's)
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Chop all vegetable ingredients. Place in bowl and add remaining
ingredients. Mix thoroughly then refrigerate. *Cook's Note: It's best if
you can make it the day before. Using a food processor will make your
sauce watery.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

BOB

lepe > typed:
> I am looking for a good recipe for crab cakes as well as sauce to go with
> them.
>
> Happy holidays.

Everything you need right here
http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesCrabcakes.html

Gar

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 08:26:51 -0800, "lepe" >
wrote:

>I am looking for a good recipe for crab cakes as well as sauce to go with
>them.

I made these at a cook-in this summer. They seemed to go over well.

They really don't need a sauce, but sambal oelek, salbal bajak or any
asian sauce like sweet & sour or plum would work. So would hot
mustard or wasabi.

Gar

Spicy Crab Cakes from Williams-Sonoma

1/2 pound fresh lump crabmeat, picked over
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Asian chili sauce, such as sambal oelek
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
1 egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup panko
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
lemon wedges for garnish

1. In a bowl, combine crabmeat with mayonnaise, chili sauce, lemon
juice, sesame oil, egg, salt and 1/4 cup panko. Stir to blend. Cover
and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

2. Remove from refrigerator. Shape 1 heaping tablespoon mixture into
patty about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. It will be fragile. Repeat with
remaining mixture.

3. Pour remaining 3/4 cup panko in shallow bowl. Carefully coat the
cakes with panko.

4. Heat oil in non-stick (I used cast on the grill) over medium heat.
Working in batches, fry patties until golden, about 1 minutes per
side. Using a slotted metal spatula, transfer to paper towels to
drain briefly. Serve at once, sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds and
garnished with lemon slices.

Steve Calvin

Here's one that's pretty good. Of course it can be halved.

Cakes:

2.5 LB Dungeness Crabmeat 1/8 cup Mayo
1 1/8 cup Oyseter Cracker Crumbs 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
1/8 cup Hickory Smoked Mustard* 1 Egg
3 Lemons, cut in half 3 TBL melted butter

* If you can't find Hickory Smoked Mustard then substitute a whole
grain dark mustard.

Pre-heat oven to 425dF. Squeeze excess liquid from crab and place in
mixing bowl. Toss with oyster cracker crumbs and Old Bay Seasoning.
In another bowl, mix mayo, mustard and egg. Then fold with crab
mixture until well blended. Be careful to avoid breaking the crab
anymore than neccessary to combine. Divide mixture into twelve 1 inch
thick crab cakes.

Place cakes on buttered baking sheet and drizzle a few drops of butter
over each cake. Place in pre-heated oven and bake about 15-20 minutes
until golden brown.

Sauce (I know, it sounds wierd but you should try it)

1 TBL Coleman's Dry Mustard 3/4 tsp Tabasco Sauce (or to taste)
juice from 1 lime 1/3 TBL Dijon Mustard
1 cup Mayo pinch white pepper
1 1/4 cup Sour Cream

Mix in bowl, dissolve dry mustard and lime juice. Mix with remaining
ingredients until blended well.

--
Steve

SPOONS

Default Crab cakes- Question??

Can canned crab meat be used for making crab cakes?

Thanks,
SPOONS

"lepe" > wrote in message
> I am looking for a good recipe for crab cakes as well as sauce to go with
> them.
>
> Happy holidays.

Steve Calvin

SPOONS wrote:

> Can canned crab meat be used for making crab cakes?
>
> Thanks,
> SPOONS
>

> "lepe" > wrote in message
>
>>I am looking for a good recipe for crab cakes as well as sauce to go with
>>them.
>>
>>Happy holidays.

I tried it once and the results are marginal. I'm thankful that I have
a fish market locally that has lump or jumbo lump all year and I can
buy the amount that I'm after. If you have anywhere like that my
suggestion would be to use them.

--
Steve

Gar

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 19:01:41 GMT, "SPOONS"
> wrote:

>Can canned crab meat be used for making crab cakes?

Absolutely

Gar
Mpoconnor7

I use the recipe on the Old Bay seasoning can and it works well.

For a sauce, I make my own tartar sauce from bottled Jalapeno pepper slices. I
put some of the japapeno slices into the food processor until it resembles
relish, then I add a small amount of the japapeno bottle juice (maybe a
tablespoon) to the mayo and horseradish mixture along with lemon juice, pepper
and Old Bay and processed jalapeno.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".
Thalocean2

>and I cheated
>with bisquick and made cheddar chive drop biscuits.

Care to share the recipe?

TIA
Laura B.
LauraATwhoeverDOTcom

sf

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:36:56 -0000, Dog3
<dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:

> I made crab cakes for dinner last night.

FYI: for those who don't have crab available... try grinding
up some breast of chicken.

I'm not fond of fried foods, but son made a concoction last
night that was similar to crab cakes - with chicken breast
meat he ground himself and it was very tasty.

Thalocean2

>Darnit. It's on the bisquick box and I threw it away. I don't remember
>the recipe except I added water, shredded cheddar and fine chopped chives.
>It's really easy too. I made drop biscuits. If I can find the recipe,
>I'll post it for you.
>
>Michael

Thank you
Laura B

Crab cakes Nick Cramer Barbecue 0 30-12-2009 01:34 AM
Joe's Crab Shack Crab Cakes (Clone Recipe) Duckie ® Recipes 0 03-03-2005 03:13 PM
Simply Delicious Chesapeake Crab Cakes (1994 - First Place, Crab Cake Division) Duckie ® Recipes 0 25-06-2004 12:13 AM
Crab Cakes Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-02-2004 02:37 PM
CRAB CAKES Duckie ® Recipes 0 07-01-2004 06:31 PM