RobertE

Default sizzle steaks?

Many years ago when visiting the US I was introduced to something called
sizzle steaks. They were a commercial meat product. As I remember them, they
were a sort of a patty made not from ground meat but from several layers of
very thinly sliced beef. I think there may have been a thin layer of some
sort of stuffing between the layers of meat, but I'm not positive about
that. I think there were perhaps four sizzle steaks packaged and
shrink-wrapped on a styrofoam tray.

My question is this: Does anyone else know of this product and if so, can
you explain just what they were?

TIA

RobertE

Nancy Young

RobertE wrote:

> Many years ago when visiting the US I was introduced to something called
> sizzle steaks. They were a commercial meat product. As I remember them, they
> were a sort of a patty made not from ground meat but from several layers of
> very thinly sliced beef. I think there may have been a thin layer of some
> sort of stuffing between the layers of meat, but I'm not positive about
> that. I think there were perhaps four sizzle steaks packaged and
> shrink-wrapped on a styrofoam tray.
>
> My question is this: Does anyone else know of this product and if so, can
> you explain just what they were?

I'm assuming you're talking about Steak Umms or the like. They are
ground meat that is formed into what you saw. Often used for
homemade Philly cheese steaks. You find them in the freezer section.

nancy
Default User

RobertE wrote:

> Many years ago when visiting the US I was introduced to something called
> sizzle steaks. They were a commercial meat product. As I remember them, they
> were a sort of a patty made not from ground meat but from several layers of
> very thinly sliced beef. I think there may have been a thin layer of some
> sort of stuffing between the layers of meat, but I'm not positive about
> that. I think there were perhaps four sizzle steaks packaged and
> shrink-wrapped on a styrofoam tray.

Sounds kind of like Steak-umms.

http://www.steakumm.com/

Brian Rodenborn
Bob (this one)

Nancy Young wrote:

> RobertE wrote:
>
>>Many years ago when visiting the US I was introduced to something called
>>sizzle steaks. They were a commercial meat product. As I remember them, they
>>were a sort of a patty made not from ground meat but from several layers of
>>very thinly sliced beef. I think there may have been a thin layer of some
>>sort of stuffing between the layers of meat, but I'm not positive about
>>that. I think there were perhaps four sizzle steaks packaged and
>>shrink-wrapped on a styrofoam tray.
>>
>>My question is this: Does anyone else know of this product and if so, can
>>you explain just what they were?

> I'm assuming you're talking about Steak Umms or the like. They are
> ground meat that is formed into what you saw. Often used for
> homemade Philly cheese steaks. You find them in the freezer section.

They're technically called "chopped and formed" steaks.

You can also get thin slices of solid-muscle, top round, rectangle-cut
and stacked like that. Restaurants use them for sandwiches.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Nancy Young wrote:

> RobertE wrote:
>
>>Many years ago when visiting the US I was introduced to something called
>>sizzle steaks. They were a commercial meat product. As I remember them, they
>>were a sort of a patty made not from ground meat but from several layers of
>>very thinly sliced beef. I think there may have been a thin layer of some
>>sort of stuffing between the layers of meat, but I'm not positive about
>>that. I think there were perhaps four sizzle steaks packaged and
>>shrink-wrapped on a styrofoam tray.
>>
>>My question is this: Does anyone else know of this product and if so, can
>>you explain just what they were?

> I'm assuming you're talking about Steak Umms or the like. They are
> ground meat that is formed into what you saw. Often used for
> homemade Philly cheese steaks. You find them in the freezer section.

They're technically called "chopped and formed" steaks.

You can also get thin slices of solid-muscle, top round, rectangle-cut
and stacked like that. Restaurants use them for sandwiches.

Pastorio

Nancy Young

"Bob (this one)" wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:

> > I'm assuming you're talking about Steak Umms or the like. They are
> > ground meat that is formed into what you saw. Often used for
> > homemade Philly cheese steaks. You find them in the freezer section.

> They're technically called "chopped and formed" steaks.

You're correct, of course, I shouldn't have said ground.

> You can also get thin slices of solid-muscle, top round, rectangle-cut
> and stacked like that. Restaurants use them for sandwiches.

Never saw that in the store.

nancy
Nancy Young

"Bob (this one)" wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:

> > I'm assuming you're talking about Steak Umms or the like. They are
> > ground meat that is formed into what you saw. Often used for
> > homemade Philly cheese steaks. You find them in the freezer section.

> They're technically called "chopped and formed" steaks.

You're correct, of course, I shouldn't have said ground.

> You can also get thin slices of solid-muscle, top round, rectangle-cut
> and stacked like that. Restaurants use them for sandwiches.

Never saw that in the store.

nancy
The Hacketts

ttp://www.heartwalk.kintera.org/2004polkFL )
:
: My question is this: Does anyone else know of this product and
if so, can
: you explain just what they were?
:
: TIA
:
: RobertE
=============

Sounds like "Steak Ums", maybe.

Cyndi
(participating this year at:
http://www.heartwalk.kintera.org/2004polkFL )

ConnieG999

Nancy Young > writes:

>I'm assuming you're talking about Steak Umms or the like.

Well, sorta but not really. Sizzle steaks are like stacked up Steak Um's,
pressed to make them stick together, and cut in rounds, like a burger. And then
there are some sizzle steaks that have several layers of the steak-um-like
stuff on the outside with burger inside.
Winn Dixie stores here in the south sometimes have them, in the freezer.

Connie
My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

ConnieG999

Nancy Young > writes:

>I'm assuming you're talking about Steak Umms or the like.

Well, sorta but not really. Sizzle steaks are like stacked up Steak Um's,
pressed to make them stick together, and cut in rounds, like a burger. And then
there are some sizzle steaks that have several layers of the steak-um-like
stuff on the outside with burger inside.
Winn Dixie stores here in the south sometimes have them, in the freezer.

Connie
My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

Blair P. Houghton

Bob (this one) > wrote:
>You can also get thin slices of solid-muscle, top round, rectangle-cut
>and stacked like that. Restaurants use them for sandwiches.

My local Asian Megamart has this, in rounds, a little less
than 1/8-inch thick.

But, they also have it in Lamb.

Lamb makes a cheesesteak you start to prioritize over
the original. I like it on a potato roll.

PRIORITY CHEESESTEAK:

4 oz thin-sliced lamb
1 slice provolone, halved
2 shallots, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped fine
salt
pepper
olive oil
sub roll

Put a little olive oil in a pan. Add the shallots
and sweat. Add the lamb. Sear until lightly brown on
one side. Flip. Add garlic to bare spot in pan (and
maybe a drop of oil). Push lamb into bun-sized space.
Add salt and pepper and put 2 halves of provolone on top.
When steak and garlic are browned, tip the whole mess into
the bun.

--Blair
"Garnish with appreciative noise."
Kswck

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > RobertE wrote:
> >
> >>Many years ago when visiting the US I was introduced to something called
> >>sizzle steaks. They were a commercial meat product. As I remember them,

they
> >>were a sort of a patty made not from ground meat but from several layers

of
> >>very thinly sliced beef. I think there may have been a thin layer of

some
> >>sort of stuffing between the layers of meat, but I'm not positive about
> >>that. I think there were perhaps four sizzle steaks packaged and
> >>shrink-wrapped on a styrofoam tray.
> >>
> >>My question is this: Does anyone else know of this product and if so,

can
> >>you explain just what they were?

> > I'm assuming you're talking about Steak Umms or the like. They are
> > ground meat that is formed into what you saw. Often used for
> > homemade Philly cheese steaks. You find them in the freezer section.

> They're technically called "chopped and formed" steaks.
>
> You can also get thin slices of solid-muscle, top round, rectangle-cut
> and stacked like that. Restaurants use them for sandwiches.
>
> Pastorio

<asking for clarification here> Budd's puts out a 'chopped and formed'
(sort-of) meat. Uusally it is called pastrami or turkey or corned beef. They
are about 89 cents each at the supermarket. But I don't think that what the
OP was asking about.

Kswck

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > RobertE wrote:
> >
> >>Many years ago when visiting the US I was introduced to something called
> >>sizzle steaks. They were a commercial meat product. As I remember them,

they
> >>were a sort of a patty made not from ground meat but from several layers

of
> >>very thinly sliced beef. I think there may have been a thin layer of

some
> >>sort of stuffing between the layers of meat, but I'm not positive about
> >>that. I think there were perhaps four sizzle steaks packaged and
> >>shrink-wrapped on a styrofoam tray.
> >>
> >>My question is this: Does anyone else know of this product and if so,

can
> >>you explain just what they were?

> > I'm assuming you're talking about Steak Umms or the like. They are
> > ground meat that is formed into what you saw. Often used for
> > homemade Philly cheese steaks. You find them in the freezer section.

> They're technically called "chopped and formed" steaks.
>
> You can also get thin slices of solid-muscle, top round, rectangle-cut
> and stacked like that. Restaurants use them for sandwiches.
>
> Pastorio

<asking for clarification here> Budd's puts out a 'chopped and formed'
(sort-of) meat. Uusally it is called pastrami or turkey or corned beef. They
are about 89 cents each at the supermarket. But I don't think that what the
OP was asking about.

Bob (this one)

Kswck wrote:

> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> I'm assuming you're talking about Steak Umms or the like. They
>>> are ground meat that is formed into what you saw. Often used
>>> for homemade Philly cheese steaks. You find them in the
>>> freezer section.

>> They're technically called "chopped and formed" steaks.
>>
>> You can also get thin slices of solid-muscle, top round,
>> rectangle-cut and stacked like that. Restaurants use them for
>> sandwiches.
>>
>> Pastorio

> <asking for clarification here> Budd's puts out a 'chopped and
> formed' (sort-of) meat. Uusally it is called pastrami or turkey or
> corned beef. They are about 89 cents each at the supermarket. But I
> don't think that what the OP was asking about.

I think you're right. I threw in the comment about solid muscle
because it's out there for steak subs as a contrasting product.

Most "cold cuts" are processed as pieces pressed together, whether
chopped (or even ground) or just compressed. Fast food roast beef is
chopped and formed. Doesn't mean it tastes bad, just that it isn't
whole muscle meat.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Kswck wrote:

> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> I'm assuming you're talking about Steak Umms or the like. They
>>> are ground meat that is formed into what you saw. Often used
>>> for homemade Philly cheese steaks. You find them in the
>>> freezer section.

>> They're technically called "chopped and formed" steaks.
>>
>> You can also get thin slices of solid-muscle, top round,
>> rectangle-cut and stacked like that. Restaurants use them for
>> sandwiches.
>>
>> Pastorio

> <asking for clarification here> Budd's puts out a 'chopped and
> formed' (sort-of) meat. Uusally it is called pastrami or turkey or
> corned beef. They are about 89 cents each at the supermarket. But I
> don't think that what the OP was asking about.

I think you're right. I threw in the comment about solid muscle
because it's out there for steak subs as a contrasting product.

Most "cold cuts" are processed as pieces pressed together, whether
chopped (or even ground) or just compressed. Fast food roast beef is
chopped and formed. Doesn't mean it tastes bad, just that it isn't
whole muscle meat.

Pastorio

Member

Robert- in the mid 80s I worked at a small scale meat processing company in Toledo, Ohio that made Bennets Sizzle Steaks. The product was a patty of beef product surrounded on both sides by a wafer thin layer of fairly cheap steak.

The first step was to create the outer layers that when finished looked like a beautiful cut of steak. However they were wafer thin. To accomplish this, three loins (not sure which specific cut but definitely NOT filet) were strung together to form a roast about 6 inches across. The roasts were then frozen. The next day, the strings were removed and the roast placed on a commercial deli slicer and a wafer thin cut was made and placed on parchment. 40-50 slices were placed on a tray and then frozen again because they were so thin they would thaw in mere minutes.

The second step was to create the patty, which was admittedly mostly fat/beef trimmings that had been saved from the preparation of hamburger patties. The company would take large chunks of beef and trim them for the various grinds (e.g. 80/20, 70/30, etc) that comprised their hamburger patty products. The trimmings were ground up, seasoned, and supplemented with a small amount of soy.

The patties of meat product were then slapped on top of a steak wafer, and another steak wafer was sliced and thrown on top. Back to the freezer! Once the sizzle steak was frozen solid, 12 of them were packaged in a box and sold in the Toledo area. This was almost 25 years ago, so I'm not sure if they still exist. I've also seen a similar product at my local grocery in a 4-pack. They were tasty but the fat content very high.

They were distinctly different than Steak-ums. Now you know !!

Skirt steaks and flank steaks [email protected] General Cooking 103 29-05-2009 06:35 PM
Sizzle of Corn and Tomatoes Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 10-05-2008 04:06 AM
Banh Xeo (Sizzle Rice Pancakes) [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 10-03-2007 05:45 PM
Steaks? Tess General Cooking 23 21-12-2004 06:53 PM
Rib steaks Bob (this one) General Cooking 5 04-08-2004 07:59 AM