Freezing heavy cream and half-and-half

Old 07-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Scott
Usenet poster

Default Freezing heavy cream and half-and-half

Does this work well? I have the occasional recipe that calls for one or
the other, often a half-cup or less at a time, and it'll be months
before I need any again.

please mail OT responses only
Old 07-07-2004, 11:19 PM
Michael Nielsen
Usenet poster

Scott wrote:

Does this work well? I have the occasional recipe that calls for one or
the other, often a half-cup or less at a time, and it'll be months
before I need any again.

No, I was told that cream froze well, but it doesn't. It seperates. I
have heard a rumour that it will work if you whip it into whipped cream
first.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:52 PM
DRB
Usenet poster

"Michael Nielsen" wrote in message
Scott wrote:

Does this work well? I have the occasional recipe that calls for one or
the other, often a half-cup or less at a time, and it'll be months
before I need any again.

No, I was told that cream froze well, but it doesn't. It seperates. I
have heard a rumour that it will work if you whip it into whipped cream
first.

It works fine if you're going to use it in some sort of a hot dish.... I
like cream in homemade mashed pototates. When I get a container, I freeze
it in 1 tablespoon portions (using an ice tray), then just thaw what I
need...

Old 08-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Scott
Usenet poster

In article ,
"DRB" wrote:

It works fine if you're going to use it in some sort of a hot dish.... I
like cream in homemade mashed pototates. When I get a container, I freeze
it in 1 tablespoon portions (using an ice tray), then just thaw what I
need...

hmmm. It would be in something like fudge or ice cream. I never use it
except for occasional treats like that.

please mail OT responses only

Old 08-07-2004, 08:20 PM
Michael Nielsen
Usenet poster

Scott wrote:

hmmm. It would be in something like fudge or ice cream. I never use it
except for occasional treats like that.

If you are making ice cream, why not make the whole thing and freeze the
ice cream?

Old 08-07-2004, 08:50 PM
Scott
Usenet poster

In article ,
Michael Nielsen wrote:

If you are making ice cream, why not make the whole thing and freeze the
ice cream?

Often the recipe uses just part of the container (or, more specifically,
one or two containers and part of another).

please mail OT responses only
Old 09-07-2004, 12:24 AM
Michael Nielsen
Usenet poster

Scott wrote:

Often the recipe uses just part of the container (or, more specifically,
one or two containers and part of another).

Upsize/downsize until it matches the container sizes. You can get heavy
cream in containers in cups, pints, and quarts. No need to save part of
a cup container, you can use the rest in a sauce or an omelet.

Old 09-07-2004, 02:48 AM
Scott
Usenet poster

In article ,
Michael Nielsen wrote:

Upsize/downsize until it matches the container sizes. You can get heavy
cream in containers in cups, pints, and quarts. No need to save part of
a cup container, you can use the rest in a sauce or an omelet.

I have recipes that use quarter- or half-cup sizes (e.g., some
frozen-yogurt recipes that have small quantities of cream added), plus
the fudge recipe that use a cup of half-and-half; I've never found the
half-and-half in anything less than pints, and can't always even find
cream in the cup sizes.

I don't use cream for sauces at all, nor in omelets. Thus the original
question: can it be frozen, since I don't use it otherwise. Really, I
usually don't ask a question if there is a simple answer.

please mail OT responses only
Old 16-07-2004, 09:09 PM
Michael Nielsen
Usenet poster

Scott wrote:
I have recipes that use quarter- or half-cup sizes (e.g., some
frozen-yogurt recipes that have small quantities of cream added), plus
the fudge recipe that use a cup of half-and-half; I've never found the
half-and-half in anything less than pints, and can't always even find
cream in the cup sizes.

Why would you use half-n-half for icecream, anyway

I don't use cream for sauces at all, nor in omelets. Thus the original
question: can it be frozen, since I don't use it otherwise. Really, I
usually don't ask a question if there is a simple answer.

Hehe, you say "don't", not "won't", so the simple answer is "do"