FoodBanter.com

-   -   Freezing heavy cream and half-and-half (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/27391-freezing-heavy-cream-half.html)

Scott 07-07-2004 08:59 PM

Freezing heavy cream and half-and-half

Does this work well? I have the occasional recipe that calls for one or
the other, often a half-cup or less at a time, and it'll be months
before I need any again.

please mail OT responses only

Michael Nielsen 07-07-2004 11:19 PM

Scott wrote:

> Does this work well? I have the occasional recipe that calls for one or
> the other, often a half-cup or less at a time, and it'll be months
> before I need any again.

No, I was told that cream froze well, but it doesn't. It seperates. I
have heard a rumour that it will work if you whip it into whipped cream
first.

DRB 07-07-2004 11:52 PM

"Michael Nielsen" > wrote in message
> Scott wrote:
>
> > Does this work well? I have the occasional recipe that calls for one or
> > the other, often a half-cup or less at a time, and it'll be months
> > before I need any again.

> No, I was told that cream froze well, but it doesn't. It seperates. I
> have heard a rumour that it will work if you whip it into whipped cream
> first.

It works fine if you're going to use it in some sort of a hot dish.... I
like cream in homemade mashed pototates. When I get a container, I freeze
it in 1 tablespoon portions (using an ice tray), then just thaw what I
need...

DRB 07-07-2004 11:52 PM

Scott 08-07-2004 02:45 PM

Freezing heavy cream and half-and-half

In article >,
"DRB" > wrote:

> It works fine if you're going to use it in some sort of a hot dish.... I
> like cream in homemade mashed pototates. When I get a container, I freeze
> it in 1 tablespoon portions (using an ice tray), then just thaw what I
> need...

hmmm. It would be in something like fudge or ice cream. I never use it
except for occasional treats like that.

please mail OT responses only

Scott 08-07-2004 02:45 PM

Michael Nielsen 08-07-2004 08:20 PM

Scott wrote:

> hmmm. It would be in something like fudge or ice cream. I never use it
> except for occasional treats like that.

If you are making ice cream, why not make the whole thing and freeze the
ice cream?

Michael Nielsen 08-07-2004 08:20 PM

Scott 08-07-2004 08:50 PM

Michael Nielsen > wrote:

> If you are making ice cream, why not make the whole thing and freeze the
> ice cream?

Often the recipe uses just part of the container (or, more specifically,
one or two containers and part of another).

please mail OT responses only

Michael Nielsen 09-07-2004 12:24 AM

Scott wrote:

> Often the recipe uses just part of the container (or, more specifically,
> one or two containers and part of another).

Upsize/downsize until it matches the container sizes. You can get heavy
cream in containers in cups, pints, and quarts. No need to save part of
a cup container, you can use the rest in a sauce or an omelet.

Michael Nielsen 09-07-2004 12:24 AM

Scott 09-07-2004 02:48 AM

Michael Nielsen > wrote:

> Upsize/downsize until it matches the container sizes. You can get heavy
> cream in containers in cups, pints, and quarts. No need to save part of
> a cup container, you can use the rest in a sauce or an omelet.

I have recipes that use quarter- or half-cup sizes (e.g., some
frozen-yogurt recipes that have small quantities of cream added), plus
the fudge recipe that use a cup of half-and-half; I've never found the
half-and-half in anything less than pints, and can't always even find
cream in the cup sizes.

I don't use cream for sauces at all, nor in omelets. Thus the original
question: can it be frozen, since I don't use it otherwise. Really, I
usually don't ask a question if there is a simple answer.

please mail OT responses only

Michael Nielsen 16-07-2004 09:09 PM

Scott wrote:
> I have recipes that use quarter- or half-cup sizes (e.g., some
> frozen-yogurt recipes that have small quantities of cream added), plus
> the fudge recipe that use a cup of half-and-half; I've never found the
> half-and-half in anything less than pints, and can't always even find
> cream in the cup sizes.

Why would you use half-n-half for icecream, anyway :)

> I don't use cream for sauces at all, nor in omelets. Thus the original
> question: can it be frozen, since I don't use it otherwise. Really, I
> usually don't ask a question if there is a simple answer.

Hehe, you say "don't", not "won't", so the simple answer is "do" :)