Steve Calvin

Default Pork Rib help

ok, here's the problem. Nancy took out pork ribs for dinner but there's
still *no* way I can get to my grill 'cause of last weeks snow dumpage
in the northeast.

I really hate to do 'em in the oven but I think that it's my only
alternative.

Suggestions?

Dimitri

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> ok, here's the problem. Nancy took out pork ribs for dinner but there's
> still *no* way I can get to my grill 'cause of last weeks snow dumpage
> in the northeast.
>
> I really hate to do 'em in the oven but I think that it's my only
> alternative.
>
> Suggestions?

Bake them with sauerkraut

On the bottom of a baking pan put a mixture of diced onion sauerkraut a
little white wine and caraway seed.

Please the ribs on top of the mixture.

Cover with foil and bake @ 350 till tender. Remove the foil and let brown.

Dimitri

here is an actual recipe:

1/2 lb. bacon, cut in small pieces
1 lg. onion, cut up small
1 sm. head cabbage, chopped
1 lb. jar sauerkraut
1/2 c. water
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. caraway seed
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook bacon with onion. In a large bowl chop cabbage. Add remaining
ingredients. Add bacon and onion to cabbage mixture; mix well. In large
roaster or heavy pot put half of mixture on bottom. Cover with cut up ribs
(1 large slab). Repeat until all ingredients have been used. Cover and
cook on low heat or in oven at 300 degrees for 2 1/2 hours. Serves 8 to 10.

One more

1 lb. pork ribs
1 lg. onion
1 tbsp. sugar
1 c. water
1 lg. container sauerkraut
2 lg. potatoes
2 tbsp. oil
Flour seasoned with salt/pepper

Cut extra fat off ribs. Dip in seasoned flour and brown in heavy pot in
oil. Drain off all but 1 to 2 tablespoons oil. Rinse sauerkraut well in
colander. Quarter onion and separate pieces. Add sauerkraut and onions to
meat in pot. Add water, sugar, and pepper and bring to a boil. Mix gently,
cover and simmer over low heat about 1 1/2 hours. Cut potatoes into 2
inches squares and add potatoes at this time. Mix gently and continue
cooking until potatoes are tender.

Steve Calvin

Dimitri wrote:
<recipes snipped>

Thanks for the ideas Dimitri. They both sound good.

Peter Aitken

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> ok, here's the problem. Nancy took out pork ribs for dinner but there's
> still *no* way I can get to my grill 'cause of last weeks snow dumpage
> in the northeast.
>
> I really hate to do 'em in the oven but I think that it's my only
> alternative.
>
> Suggestions?

Put a rub on them if you like, then in a baking pan and cover with foil.
Bake at 250 for 4-5 hours (spareribs) or 2 hours (baby backs). Remove foil
and raise heat to 350 for last 1/2 hour, baste with BBQ sauce if you like.

--
Peter Aitken

In rec.food.cooking, Steve Calvin > wrote:

> Suggestions?

Just boil them until the meat falls off the bones. All the flavor is in
the sauce.

Dimitri

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:
> <recipes snipped>
>
> Thanks for the ideas Dimitri. They both sound good.

My pleasure - had them 2 weeks ago.

To me there is a wonderful "sweetness" with pork cooked in kraut.

Dimitri

Steve Calvin

Peter Aitken wrote:

> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>
>>ok, here's the problem. Nancy took out pork ribs for dinner but there's
>>still *no* way I can get to my grill 'cause of last weeks snow dumpage
>>in the northeast.
>>
>>I really hate to do 'em in the oven but I think that it's my only
>>alternative.
>>
>>Suggestions?
>>

> Put a rub on them if you like, then in a baking pan and cover with foil.
> Bake at 250 for 4-5 hours (spareribs) or 2 hours (baby backs). Remove foil
> and raise heat to 350 for last 1/2 hour, baste with BBQ sauce if you like.

Thanks Peter,
I'll run both your idea and Dimitris' past "Da Boss" and let her decide
;-) (yeah, I know... I'm a coward)

PENMART01

In article >, Steve Calvin
> writes:

>ok, here's the problem. Nancy took out pork ribs for dinner but there's
>still *no* way I can get to my grill 'cause of last weeks snow dumpage
>in the northeast.
>
>I really hate to do 'em in the oven but I think that it's my only
>alternative.
>
>Suggestions?

BRAISED SPARERIBS WITH RIGATONI
From Lidia's in Kansas City, an informal company dish thats sure to satisfy.

1/4 cup olive oil
4 pounds pork spareribs, cut into individual ribs
1 pound onions, thinly sliced
10 large garlic cloves, chopped
8 cherry peppers from jar, drained, seeded, chopped
3/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
3 28-ounce cans Italian-style tomatoes in juice
1 cup canned low-salt chicken broth
1 cup dry white wine
4 large fresh thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves

1 pound rigatoni
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan
1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley

Heat oil in heavy large pot over high heat. Sprinkle spareribs with salt and
pepper. Working in batches, add ribs to pot and brown on all sides, about 6
minutes. Transfer ribs to bowl. Add onions, garlic, cherry peppers and crushed
red pepper to pot. Sauté until onions just begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
Add tomatoes with their juices. Using back of fork or potato masher, coarsely
crush tomatoes. Return spareribs and juices to pot. Add broth, wine, thyme and
bay leaves and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium- low. Simmer uncovered
until spareribs are very tender and sauce thickens, stirring occasionally,
about 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cool
slightly. Refrigerate until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Remove chilled
fat from top of sauce, if desired. Rewarm before continuing.)

Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still
firm to bite. Drain and return pasta to same pot. Add cheese, parsley and some
sauce from spareribs and toss to coat. Transfer pasta to large bowl. Top with
spareribs and remaining sauce and serve.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Bon Appétit
September 2000

Lidias, Kansas City, MS
---

Reviews:

A Cook from San Francisco, CA on 12/02/03
Lidia's pasta dishes are the BEST! I followed it to the T, but did use some
beef ribs. Didn't like the beef ribs, and found the dish very strong and heady
the first night cooked. So I cooled it, skimmed the fat and served it a second
day. It was UNBELIEVABLE! I added about 1 tbs of brown sugar to take the edge
off it (my wine probably wasn't the best), but it was out of this world, as are
all her pasta creations. A dish that makes you overeat!

A Cook from Boston, MA on 11/27/03
I didn't have all the ingredients for this recipe, so I improvised, which is
what using recipes is all about! What I do want to say, is this is a FANTASTIC
way to prepare pork ribs. They are tougher than baby back ribs, and braising
them made them very tender, and delicious. I only cooked them an hour, as that
was all the time I had (!) and while the meat didn't fall off the bone, it was
certainly quite tender and moist. I froze what ribs I didn't use for this meal,
and for the next time, I'll take the recipe to the store and buy the
ingredients!

A Cook from Saratoga, California on 06/27/03
This was so good that we have now made this three times, with and without the
cherry peppers. I substituted bell peppers when I didn't have cherry peppers in
the pantry (cherry peppers are packed in vinegar, so I added a Tbsp of wine
vinegar). The leftovers are great. I saw Lidia make this on TV - and mine came
out just like hers.

A Cook from Murrayville, GA on 03/18/03
I really loved this both times I made it, but I actually like it made with
meaty beef short ribs, which you often see used in this type of ragu with
pasta. Also for additional flavor, while sauteeing the onions, etc., I like to
add a couple of carrots and celery, diced, and saute them, too. Great!!

norma ( ) from Miami, FL on 10/15/02
Hearty and delicious. Did not have cherry peppers, but used cayenne pepper and
Emeril's Essence. Had one large slab of spareribs so I used only one 28oz can
of tomato and also used Marsala wine. Awesome!

A Cook from Chicago on 10/14/02
Excellent spicey dish. The meat just falls of the bone. I would increase the
number of cherry tomatoes next time. I also added a touch of corn starch at the
very end to thicken the sauce a bit.

jennie (
) from NYC on 04/18/02
This is a fantastic recipe; the only change I made was to add 1 more can of
tomatoes the second time.

A Cook from LaPorte, Indiana on 03/06/02
This is a keeper my family and friends love it I always have to double it
because my husband loves it again the next day.

kathy (
) from Boston, MA on 02/06/02
Prepared this on Sunday and then reheated it for Monday night. We thought it
was delicious. I also used hot cherry peppers (a few more than the recipe
called for) and a little extra onion and red pepper flakes. At one point the
sauce seemed a little thin, so I added a small can of tomato paste. We both
loved it and would definitely make it again.

A Cook from The Caribbean on 01/05/02
I thought this recipe was wonderful. I played around with it a bit though. I
used 1/2 tin less tomatoes, more dried red peppers and more onions and garlic.
I also seasoned my ribs beforehand, not just with salt and pepper. I used
garlic, worcestershire sauce, a little dried parsley, chopped onion as well as
the salt and pepper. The resulting dish was fabulous. Lovely thick sauce with
good, spicy flavour. Hubby and kids loved it as well. Definitely a keeper.

Steve Baker (
) from Frankfort, Il on 12/03/01
What a great recipe. My family loves this dish. The flavors explode in your
mouth.

A Cook from Bucks County, Pennsylvania on 10/18/01
My husband and I really enjoyed this recipe. The kids enjoyed the sauce, not
the ribs. I used hot peppers as well and thought it came out great. I made the
sauce and ribs on Sunday and chilled it as the recipe calls. Then on a work
night, I skimmed off the fat, reheated it, cooked the pasta and served it with
some garlic bread. My family loved a "home-cooked" meal on a weeknight!

A Cook from Denver on 02/04/01
I've made this recipe 3X now and has always been meet with wonderful reviews.
Tho it takes a while, it's a great dish to make ahead, and then reheat the day
of serving. The house smells like you've been cooking all day. As with many
brasied dishes, this definately tastes better on day 2 or 3 after the flavors
have had an opportunity to mellow. Serve with a good italian wine, ciabatta
bread and salad! Well worth the time. Leftovers freeze well and still taste
terrific!

A Cook from Huntington, NY on 12/31/00
Made this one during a big snowstorm. It was a deliciously satisfying meal
after all that shoveling, but beware. . . it's VERY spicy.

A Cook from Maryland on 10/30/00
The sauce for this dish is outstanding! I've also used beef back ribs when they
were on sale and it is equally delicious. I also used hot cherry peppers (3
large ones). I've noticed in the other reviews that the people who have used
hot peppers like the flavor of the dish more. I will make this for a casual
get-together often!

Ruby Carey (
) from Vancouver, BC, Canada on 10/11/00
Yummmm Yummm, a great recipe for the cold months coming up. I dried some of my
own tomatoes, and threw a few in here. The flavours were wonderful.

A Cook from Pittsburgh, PA on 10/11/00
This is excellent. All of Lidia's recipes are so very good and easy to prepare.
I bought the cookbook and I am working my way through it. Watch the show on
PBS, it will inspire you.

A Cook from Ca on 10/02/00
Finger licking good!!!

A Cook from San Franciso, CA on 09/21/00
I made this following the recipe exactly, and it turned out very well but it
was better the next day and best the day after that. Would definitely make for
a crowd or a party.

A Cook from Norwalk, CT. on 09/21/00
This was a tasty, but very rich recipe. The instructions never said whether to
use sweet or hot peppers. I used hot, but cut down on the amount. It was spicy,
but not too hot. This is one recipe that should be refrigerated before
reheating so that all the substantial amount of fat can be removed.

A Cook from New Jersey on 09/16/00
It is very tasty, great for cooking ahead. It probably would be great for a
crowd. The next time I make this dish, I would definitely increase the amount
of garlic and onion.
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Steve Calvin

PENMART01 wrote:

> In article >, Steve Calvin
> > writes:
>=20
>=20
>>ok, here's the problem. Nancy took out pork ribs for dinner but there's=

=20
>>still *no* way I can get to my grill 'cause of last weeks snow dumpage=

=20
>>in the northeast.
>>
>>I really hate to do 'em in the oven but I think that it's my only=20
>>alternative.
>>
>>Suggestions?

>=20
>=20
> BRAISED SPARERIBS WITH RIGATONI
> From Lidia's in Kansas City, an informal company dish that=E2=80=99s su=

re to satisfy.
> [...]

th
> pasta. Also for additional flavor, while sauteeing the onions, etc., I =

like to
> add a couple of carrots and celery, diced, and saute them, too. Great!!=

>=20
> norma ( ) from Miami, FL on 10/15/02 =20
> Hearty and delicious. Did not have cherry peppers, but used cayenne pep=

per and
> Emeril's Essence. Had one large slab of spareribs so I used only one 28=

oz can
> of tomato and also used Marsala wine. Awesome!
>=20
> A Cook from Chicago on 10/14/02 =20
> Excellent spicey dish. The meat just falls of the bone. I would increas=

e the
> number of cherry tomatoes next time. I also added a touch of corn starc=

) from NYC on 04/18/02 =20
> This is a fantastic recipe; the only change I made was to add 1 more ca=

n of
> tomatoes the second time.=20
>=20
> A Cook from LaPorte, Indiana on 03/06/02 =20
> This is a keeper my family and friends love it I always have to double =

it
> because my husband loves it again the next day.
>=20
> kathy (
) from Boston, MA on 02/06/02 =20
> Prepared this on Sunday and then reheated it for Monday night. We thoug=

ht it
> was delicious. I also used hot cherry peppers (a few more than the reci=

pe
> called for) and a little extra onion and red pepper flakes. At one poin=

t the
> sauce seemed a little thin, so I added a small can of tomato paste. We =

both
> loved it and would definitely make it again.
>=20
> A Cook from The Caribbean on 01/05/02 =20
> I thought this recipe was wonderful. I played around with it a bit thou=

gh. I
> used 1/2 tin less tomatoes, more dried red peppers and more onions and =

garlic.
> I also seasoned my ribs beforehand, not just with salt and pepper. I us=

ed
> garlic, worcestershire sauce, a little dried parsley, chopped onion as =

well as
> the salt and pepper. The resulting dish was fabulous. Lovely thick sauc=

e with
> good, spicy flavour. Hubby and kids loved it as well. Definitely a keep=

er.
>=20
> Steve Baker (
) from Frankfort, Il on 12/03/01 =20
> [...]

s spicy,
> but not too hot. This is one recipe that should be refrigerated before
> reheating so that all the substantial amount of fat can be removed.
>=20
> A Cook from New Jersey on 09/16/00 =20
> It is very tasty, great for cooking ahead. It probably would be great f=

or a
> crowd. The next time I make this dish, I would definitely increase the =

amount
> of garlic and onion.
> ---
>=20
>=20
> ---=3D BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =3D---
> ---=3D Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =3D---
> Sheldon =20
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Dang Shel. That sounds good *too*. She's gonna have one h*ll of a=20
decision on her hands! <g>

Jeff Bienstadt

Dimitri wrote:

> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>> Dimitri wrote:
>> <recipes snipped>
>>
>> Thanks for the ideas Dimitri. They both sound good.

> My pleasure - had them 2 weeks ago.
>
> To me there is a wonderful "sweetness" with pork cooked in kraut.
>
> Dimitri

Thanks from me, too. I love pork with kraut, and both of these recipes
sound good

---jkb

--
"Thank you, come again. Smithers, release the hounds."
-- Montgomery Burns

Jack Schidt®

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:
> <recipes snipped>
>
> Thanks for the ideas Dimitri. They both sound good.

I'll second both. Pork ribs and sauerkraut, prepared the way Dimitri
describes is the best indoor rib method I've tried.

Jack Puerco

Steve Calvin

Jack Schidt=AE wrote:

> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>=20
>>Dimitri wrote:
>><recipes snipped>
>>
>>Thanks for the ideas Dimitri. They both sound good.
>>

>=20
>=20
> I'll second both. Pork ribs and sauerkraut, prepared the way Dimitri
> describes is the best indoor rib method I've tried.
>=20
> Jack Puerco
>=20
>=20

Well... Dimitris' rec #1 is in the oven as we "speak". I'll post later=20
on how it goes over. I was a little leary about the sugar but went=20
ahead with it anyhow. I even had the caraway seed. I didn't think that=20
I had any but there was still some in the cabinet.

Thanks to all.

--=20
Steve

Steve Calvin

Dimitris' #1 recipe won out. I was hesitant about the sugar but it
turned out great. Thanks!

All of the others are on file to try over the winter. Thanks to all!

--
Steve

notbob

On 2003-12-10, Steve Calvin > wrote:

> I really hate to do 'em in the oven but I think that it's my only
> alternative.

Try AB's approach:

<http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._11125,00.html

nb