baking squash - cut side UP or DOWN??

Old 09-12-2003, 09:28 PM
cheaper by the dozen
Usenet poster

Default baking squash - cut side UP or DOWN??

I have a weird gray-skinned round squash, cut in half and ready for the
oven. I've found contradicting recipes on the web - do I bake cut side UP
or Down??

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2003, 09:46 PM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

"cheaper by the dozen" writes:

I've found contradicting recipes on the web - do I bake cut side UP
or Down??

Bake = cut side up

Steam = cut side down

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Old 09-12-2003, 10:20 PM
Peter Aitken
Usenet poster

"cheaper by the dozen" wrote in message
.. .
I have a weird gray-skinned round squash, cut in half and ready for the
oven. I've found contradicting recipes on the web - do I bake cut side UP
or Down??

Thanks!

Doesn's matter unless you are topping with some brown sugar or something
similar in which case cut side up.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 10-12-2003, 04:03 AM
Julia Altshuler
Usenet poster

cheaper by the dozen wrote:
I have a weird gray-skinned round squash, cut in half and ready for the
oven. I've found contradicting recipes on the web - do I bake cut side UP
or Down??

I can see that this could be one of those "which way should the toilet
paper roll be hung" sort of things. I bake squashes cut side down. My
boyfriend bakes them up. I usually start dinner so I start the squashes
down. He then goes into the kitchen, flips the squashes and puts a
little butter in them with the theory that the butter will bake in
before serving.

(To answer your question, it doesn't make a huge difference one way or
t'other.)

--Lia

Old 13-12-2003, 07:49 PM
Taffy Stoker
Usenet poster

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 21:28:06 GMT, "cheaper by the dozen"
wrote:

I have a weird gray-skinned round squash, cut in half and ready for the
oven. I've found contradicting recipes on the web - do I bake cut side UP
or Down??

Thanks!

I bake mine cut side down and before putting them down I brush the cut
side with a little olive oil to keep it from sticking to the pan.

newbie, altitude cooking alia Baking 6 28-12-2003 04:52 PM
Looking for biscotti recipes Trish Baking 3 23-12-2003 04:42 PM
Substitute for fresh/frozen cranberries Suanne Wong Baking 6 03-12-2003 05:35 PM
Acorn squash - Looking for baking recipe Frederick Pileggi General Cooking 14 26-11-2003 01:59 AM
Bretzels Karl Sigerist Sr© Baking 11 14-10-2003 02:18 PM