Cloudy Stainless Steel Frying pan?

Old 09-12-2003, 05:42 AM
Dwight
Usenet poster

Default Cloudy Stainless Steel Frying pan?

Our frying pans have developed a white, cloudy stain.

We have used Soft Scrub on them, and the cloud looks a bit like Soft Scrub.

Should we try to remove it?

If so, how?

Thank you.

Old 09-12-2003, 02:32 PM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

Dwight writes:

Our frying pans have developed a white, cloudy stain.

Not knowing what you've cooked (starchy foods can be the culprit) it's possible
you have hard water.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Old 09-12-2003, 04:54 PM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

Default Cloudy Stainless Steel Frying pans

DUH'Wayne BoatSCHMUCK spews:

(PENMART01) wrote:

Dwight writes:

Our frying pans have developed a white, cloudy stain.

Not knowing what you've cooked (starchy foods can be the culprit) it's
possible you have hard water.

If you have a water softener.

"you"? How is this about ME?!?!? You should be directing your post to Dwight.
Are you brain dead... I'm absolutely certain that you are an illiterate
*******, as is proven with each and every of your posts.

Old 10-12-2003, 08:19 AM
sf
Usenet poster

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 04:42:08 GMT, Dwight
wrote:

Our frying pans have developed a white, cloudy stain.

That's a first for me! I've never heard of this. Did you
scrub them with something abrasive?

Old 11-12-2003, 03:18 AM
Bob Pastorio
Usenet poster

Dwight wrote:

Our frying pans have developed a white, cloudy stain.

We have used Soft Scrub on them, and the cloud looks a bit like Soft Scrub.

Should we try to remove it?

If so, how?

Soft Scrub is an abrasive cleanser designed for cleaning bathtubs and
the like. What you've done is scratch the surface and create a zillion
little grooves in it. It's not a stain, it's scored metal.

Stick to steel wool for scouring and try to get that polish back. You
don't say if it's the inside or the outside of the skillets are white.
Nor do you say if they're non-stick. If non-stick, wash with a soft
sponge or cloth and don't rub very hard.

In any event, ditch the Soft Scrub for cleaning metals unless you want
them all to look like old pewter.

Pastorio

Old 11-12-2003, 09:03 AM
Blair P. Houghton
Usenet poster

wrote:

Our frying pans have developed a white, cloudy stain.

That's a first for me! I've never heard of this. Did you
scrub them with something abrasive?

Mine get that. It's calcium deposits, probably. Hard water.

I use Barkeeper's Friend, which contains oxalic acid,
and takes off both the white residues and the blue/purple
oxidation, leaving the pan looking basically new, as long as
I rinse it well and then dry it by hand, because otherwise
it also leaves a white film...

--Blair
"Better living through cleaning up
after yourself."