WardNA

Default Seafood gumbo update

>I went with a traditional gumbo this time,
>but next time I'm going to put some tasso
>and okra in it.

Could you explain what traditional gumbo omits okra?
Mike Pearce

"dogsnus" wrote in message

> I also felt I should have made the roux a
> bit darker.

Isn't that always the case? <g>

> It was good, if evidenced by the scant
> remains leftover to refigerate.

That's all that really matters.

-Mike

Mike Pearce

"WardNA" wrote in message

> >I went with a traditional gumbo this time,
> >but next time I'm going to put some tasso
> >and okra in it.

> Could you explain what traditional gumbo omits okra?

Let the gumbo wars begin!

I'm no gumbo expert, but my understanding is that gumbo is generally made
with either okra or file, not both. So a file gumbo usually would not
contain okra.

Then we get into the origin of the word gumbo which, I believe, has it's
roots in an African language and means okra. In common usage around here it
has come to mean the dish gumbo, which may or may not contain okra, as
opposed to the ingredient okra.

One could argue that it ain't gumbo if it doesn't have okra, but there will
be plenty of people who will disagree.

BTW, if anyone is coming to New Orleans let me know. I'll treat you to some
amazingly good gumbo at a little joint around the corner from my house. I'm
always looking for an excuse to get over there for some. You'll have to wait
until you try it to find out if it has okra or not. <g>

-Mike

jmcquown

Mike Pearce wrote:
> "WardNA" wrote in message
>
>>> I went with a traditional gumbo this time,
>>> but next time I'm going to put some tasso
>>> and okra in it.

>> Could you explain what traditional gumbo omits okra?

> Let the gumbo wars begin!
>
> I'm no gumbo expert, but my understanding is that gumbo is generally
> made with either okra or file, not both. So a file gumbo usually
> would not contain okra.
>
> Then we get into the origin of the word gumbo which, I believe, has
> it's roots in an African language and means okra. In common usage
> around here it has come to mean the dish gumbo, which may or may not
> contain okra, as opposed to the ingredient okra.
>
> One could argue that it ain't gumbo if it doesn't have okra, but
> there will be plenty of people who will disagree.
>
> BTW, if anyone is coming to New Orleans let me know. I'll treat you
> to some amazingly good gumbo at a little joint around the corner from
> my house. I'm always looking for an excuse to get over there for
> some. You'll have to wait until you try it to find out if it has okra
> or not. <g>
>
> -Mike

(laughing!) Let me tell you, a gumbo made by a Cajun (that would be my
fiance, Ray) has LOTS of okra in it. In fact, when I told him I don't
really like that much okra in gumbo he said, "What's wrong with you?!" LOL

File powder should be added at the very end or added at the table. I like
to make sausage gumbo with andouille and yes, okra, and add the file in the
last few minutes of cooking. File is a thickener made from ground
sassafrass.

Jill

zxcvbob

BubbaBob wrote:
> "Mike Pearce" > wrote:
>

>>I'm no gumbo expert, but my understanding is that gumbo is
>>generally made with either okra or file, not both. So a file
>>gumbo usually would not contain okra.
>>

> I take this position, too. One or the other but not both.

I agree with this; but if the cook wants to put both in the gumbo, it's
none of my business. File' powder actually would come in handy to rescue
an okra gumbo if you get the roux too dark or don't use enough roux and the
gumbo turns out a little too thin.

Best regards,
Bob

L Beck

"WardNA" > wrote in message
> >I went with a traditional gumbo this time,
> >but next time I'm going to put some tasso
> >and okra in it.

> Could you explain what traditional gumbo omits okra?

Any that I would eat.

Mike Pearce

"dogsnus" wrote in message

> What was the name of that gumbo shop you mentioned before?

It's called Liuzza's By The Track. There is another place not too far away
called Liuzza's which is unrelated. It's not exactly a gumbo shop it's more
of a corner bar/restaurant. It's two blocks from the fairgrounds, so this
time of year it caters to a lot of track workers. I used to refer to it as a
"jockey bar", but it has become a little more well known in the last few
years and isn't as dominated by track workers as it once was. Just about
everything I've eaten there is very good.

I doubt they'll be open on Christmas.

-Mike

Mike Pearce

"dogsnus" wrote in message

> I also found the beginnings of a pearl in one of my oysters.
> Kind of fun, for me!

Cool. A while back I got a good sized pearl (a little more than a 1/4 inch
across) in an oyster poboy at Liuzza's By The Track. I was eating with one
of my contractors and he went to call a waitress over to complain. I stopped
him. I thought it was great. I went around saying, "I'm a rich man!"

-Mike

Seafood Chowder, Seafood Sausage Silvar Beitel[_2_] General Cooking 1 11-01-2013 02:34 PM
Seafood gumbo in a Crockpot Ruth Recipes (moderated) 0 03-03-2008 02:14 AM
Gumbo - at last! Chatty Cathy[_2_] General Cooking 17 27-03-2007 07:19 AM
Gumbo Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 3 01-03-2007 05:03 AM
vegas trip: gumbo, gumbo, sushi, ribs, duck, duck, duck, crabcake, and the conundrum of kobe beef sliders Blair P. Houghton General Cooking 3 29-08-2004 07:04 AM