Blair P. Houghton

Default Scovilles for some popular hot sauces

Ran across this list on the frenchsfoodservice.com
page for Frank's hot sauce:

Sauce: Scovilles

Frank's RedHot Original 450
Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce 284
Frank's RedHotXTRA Hot 2,085
TABASCO® -Red 3,050
Texas Pete® 747
Louisiana® 785
Durkee® 493
Crystal® hot sauce 375
Wingers® hot sauce 350
Frank's RedHot Buffalo Sandwich Sauce 305
Frank's RedHot Gold Fever Zing Sauce 272

--Blair
"Gotta love the precision."
John Gaughan

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> Sauce: Scovilles

Now if only they had a way of measuring taste. Frank's certainly is not
spicey, but it tastes great.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Richard Periut

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> Ran across this list on the frenchsfoodservice.com
> page for Frank's hot sauce:
>
> Sauce: Scovilles
>
> Frank's RedHot Original 450
> Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce 284
> Frank's RedHotXTRA Hot 2,085
> TABASCO® -Red 3,050
> Texas Pete® 747
> Louisiana® 785
> Durkee® 493
> Crystal® hot sauce 375
> Wingers® hot sauce 350
> Frank's RedHot Buffalo Sandwich Sauce 305
> Frank's RedHot Gold Fever Zing Sauce 272
>
> --Blair
> "Gotta love the precision."

That's chicken feed for real lovers of "HOT" stuff:

Try the units that are produced by the Thai peppers, Habaneros, Scotch
Bonnets, et cetara; usually in the tens and hundreds of thousands.

Get a load of: http://www.chile-pepper-sauces.com/scoville.html

Richard

--
"..A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava
beans and a nice chianti..."

Hannibal "The Cannibal"

Silence Of The Lambs 1991

Jack Schidt®

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
> Ran across this list on the frenchsfoodservice.com
> page for Frank's hot sauce:
>
> Sauce: Scovilles
>
> Frank's RedHot Original 450
> Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce 284
> Frank's RedHotXTRA Hot 2,085
> TABASCO® -Red 3,050
> Texas Pete® 747
> Louisiana® 785
> Durkee® 493
> Crystal® hot sauce 375
> Wingers® hot sauce 350
> Frank's RedHot Buffalo Sandwich Sauce 305
> Frank's RedHot Gold Fever Zing Sauce 272
>
> --Blair
> "Gotta love the precision."

These are the 'yellow mustards' of hot sauces. Where's Melinda's, Dave's
Insanity, et al?

Jack Dilute

Pete Romfh

Jack Schidt® wrote:
> "Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
>> Ran across this list on the frenchsfoodservice.com
>> page for Frank's hot sauce:
>>
>> Sauce: Scovilles
>>
>> Frank's RedHot Original 450
>> Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce 284
>> Frank's RedHotXTRA Hot 2,085
>> TABASCO® -Red 3,050
>> Texas Pete® 747
>> Louisiana® 785
>> Durkee® 493
>> Crystal® hot sauce 375
>> Wingers® hot sauce 350
>> Frank's RedHot Buffalo Sandwich Sauce 305
>> Frank's RedHot Gold Fever Zing Sauce 272
>>
>> --Blair
>> "Gotta love the precision."

> These are the 'yellow mustards' of hot sauces. Where's
> Melinda's, Dave's Insanity, et al?
>
> Jack Dilute

A brief web search found this page comparing Tabasco brand sauces.
http://www.tabascofoodservice.com/fs_about_scoville.cfm

I also ran across a pretty good discussion of how Scoville Units are
measured
http://pubs.acs.org/hotartcl/tcaw/00/may/dong.html

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at Texas dot net

jmcquown

John Gaughan wrote:
> Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>> Sauce: Scovilles

> Now if only they had a way of measuring taste. Frank's certainly is
> not spicey, but it tastes great.

TABASCO® -Red 3,050
Texas Pete® 747
Louisiana® 785

Tabasco is the hottest? My taster must have gone on the fritz; I find it
pretty mild. I like the taste, but I use Louisiana hot sauce when I make 2
pounds of chicken wings. It has a good flavour and costs less than Tabasco.
An entire bottle goes into the basting sauce along with a stick of butter.
Sometimes I add a couple of dashes of Spicy Season-All, too. I broil the
wings; no breading or deep frying. They come out nicely crispy and very
tasty!

Jill

hahabogus

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> They come out nicely crispy and very
> tasty!

Damsel posted a recipe for baked wings that were crispy and tasty. Guess if
you want it google for it,as my drive with it and many more recipes made
noises like a coffee grinder and was replaced.

--
And the beet goes on! (or under)
-me just a while ago
blake murphy

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 14:33:42 -0600, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>John Gaughan wrote:
>> Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>>> Sauce: Scovilles

>> Now if only they had a way of measuring taste. Frank's certainly is
>> not spicey, but it tastes great.

>TABASCO® -Red 3,050
>Texas Pete® 747
>Louisiana® 785
>
>Tabasco is the hottest? My taster must have gone on the fritz; I find it
>pretty mild. I like the taste, but I use Louisiana hot sauce when I make 2
>pounds of chicken wings. It has a good flavour and costs less than Tabasco.
>An entire bottle goes into the basting sauce along with a stick of butter.
>Sometimes I add a couple of dashes of Spicy Season-All, too. I broil the
>wings; no breading or deep frying. They come out nicely crispy and very
>tasty!
>
>Jill

i use tobasco for a lot of things, but chicken wings, no. (unless
they're deep-fried, not buffalo-style.

your pal,
blake
Blair P. Houghton

Jack Schidt® > wrote:

>"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
. ..
>> Ran across this list on the frenchsfoodservice.com
>> page for Frank's hot sauce:
>>
>> Sauce: Scovilles
>>
>> Frank's RedHot Original 450
>> Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce 284
>> Frank's RedHotXTRA Hot 2,085
>> TABASCO® -Red 3,050
>> Texas Pete® 747
>> Louisiana® 785
>> Durkee® 493
>> Crystal® hot sauce 375
>> Wingers® hot sauce 350
>> Frank's RedHot Buffalo Sandwich Sauce 305
>> Frank's RedHot Gold Fever Zing Sauce 272
>>
>> --Blair
>> "Gotta love the precision."

>These are the 'yellow mustards' of hot sauces. Where's Melinda's, Dave's
>Insanity, et al?

Well, the point wasn't to start a scoville-size war, but
to show where some of the commercial market-share leaders
pack their peck of peppers, because I doubt anyone has
ever bothered to broadcast the information.

--Blair
"Pepping your pecker is your own problem."
levelwave

John Gaughan wrote:

> Now if only they had a way of measuring taste. Frank's certainly is not
> spicey, but it tastes great.

Frank's is my Hot Sauce of choice... *great* balance between heat and
flavor...

~john!

jmcquown

hahabogus wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> They come out nicely crispy and very
>> tasty!
>>

> Damsel posted a recipe for baked wings that were crispy and tasty.
> Guess if you want it google for it,as my drive with it and many more
> recipes made noises like a coffee grinder and was replaced.

I believe it's in the cookbook; I broil mine, brushing on the hot
sauce/butter mixture, and am perfectly happy with the way they come out.

Jill

jmcquown

Richard Periut wrote:
> Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>> Ran across this list on the frenchsfoodservice.com
>> page for Frank's hot sauce:
>>
>> Sauce: Scovilles
>>
>> Frank's RedHot Original 450
>> Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce 284
>> Frank's RedHotXTRA Hot 2,085
>> TABASCO® -Red 3,050
>> Texas Pete® 747
>> Louisiana® 785
>> Durkee® 493
>> Crystal® hot sauce 375
>> Wingers® hot sauce 350
>> Frank's RedHot Buffalo Sandwich Sauce 305
>> Frank's RedHot Gold Fever Zing Sauce 272
>>
>> --Blair
>> "Gotta love the precision."

> That's chicken feed for real lovers of "HOT" stuff:
>
> Try the units that are produced by the Thai peppers, Habaneros, Scotch
> Bonnets, et cetara; usually in the tens and hundreds of thousands.
>
> Get a load of: http://www.chile-pepper-sauces.com/scoville.html
>
> Richard

I can't stand something so hot you can't taste what you're eating.

Jill

Blair P. Houghton

blake murphy > wrote:
>On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 14:33:42 -0600, "jmcquown" >
>wrote:
>
>>John Gaughan wrote:
>>>
>>> Now if only they had a way of measuring taste. Frank's certainly is
>>> not spicey, but it tastes great.

>>TABASCO® -Red 3,050
>>Texas Pete® 747
>>Louisiana® 785
>>
>>Tabasco is the hottest? My taster must have gone on the fritz; I find it
>>pretty mild. I like the taste, but I use Louisiana hot sauce when I make 2
>>pounds of chicken wings. It has a good flavour and costs less than Tabasco.
>>An entire bottle goes into the basting sauce along with a stick of butter.
>>Sometimes I add a couple of dashes of Spicy Season-All, too. I broil the
>>wings; no breading or deep frying. They come out nicely crispy and very
>>tasty!
>>
>>Jill
>>

>i use tobasco for a lot of things, but chicken wings, no. (unless
>they're deep-fried, not buffalo-style.

Periodicity, right about 6 months (and the inclusion is
a day short of exactly a year old):

From blair Mon May 26 01:01:57 MST 2003
From: Blair P. Houghton >
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Buffalo Wings

:-{ > wrote:
>I am an Aussie trying to find a good recipe for buffalo wings. Would sks
>please help me out.

Here's an old post from a similar thread. I still make
them this way, and they're still great. One new thing I
do is make a slit in the underside of the elbow of each
when turning them, to let the fat drain while they finish
cooking. I have also obtained some Frank's Hot Sauce, and
I find it needs heat and vinegar to be right. Butter it
doesn't need.

http://www.franksredhot.com/retail/recipes.html

>Butter, hot sauce, and wings. Okay, technically, it's
>a recipe.
>
>I've been messing around with wings for a couple of weeks,
>trying alternatives to the traditional sauces (partially
>because the Anchor Bar people never charged my card or
>sent me the sauce I ordered online...bastiges.).
>
>I came up with a good one tonight:
>
>Coat wings lightly with olive oil. Add a little salt and
>pepper. Bake at 375F (190C) for 35 minutes, top-down. Turn over
>and sprinkle generously with Emeril's original seasoning (I
>like this mix of spices, but the paprika in it isn't quite
>spicy enough, so), add an equal amount of hot hungarian
>paprika. Bake a further 20-25 minutes or until you can't
>stand just smelling them.
>
>These were excellent as-is.
>
>But I was experimenting, so I tried them with Cholula,
>Tapatio, Tabasco, and some Stubbs habanero flavored wing
>sauce (which I don't like by itself because it tastes a
>little too much like bbq sauce). Ordinarily, the Tapatio
>should win any contest, but wings really benefit from
>the tang of steaming vinegar, and Tapatio's strength is
>that the vinegar is a tiny part of its formula. I was
>expecting Cholula to hit the ball, but it turns out that
>the one with the right stuff is the classic Tabasco.
>"Vinegar, peppers, and salt", it says on the label. Shoulda
>known. It's the only thing this stuff is good for. It's
>weak enough you can be liberal enough with it to get the
>vinegary zap you're looking for without kicking the heat
>over the medium-hot range (although the spicy paprika
>is necessary to get it up to the medium-hot range).
>Frank's sauce could be better, but I suddenly
>understand why Tabasco can sell in gallon bottles.
>
>No butter. The oil coating them effectively fries
>the skin, and constitutes all the calories I want
>to add to this version. I'm still experimenting, and
>might try the tabasco and butter next time I try
>a deep-fried batch.

--Blair
"This newsgroup always makes me
rumbly in my tumbly."
maxine in ri

"Blair P. Houghton" wrote:

> Ran across this list on the frenchsfoodservice.com
> page for Frank's hot sauce:
>
> Sauce: Scovilles
>
> Frank's RedHot Original 450
> Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce 284
> Frank's RedHotXTRA Hot 2,085
> TABASCO® -Red 3,050
> Texas Pete® 747
> Louisiana® 785
> Durkee® 493
> Crystal® hot sauce 375
> Wingers® hot sauce 350
> Frank's RedHot Buffalo Sandwich Sauce 305
> Frank's RedHot Gold Fever Zing Sauce 272
>
> --Blair
> "Gotta love the precision."

Did they happen to mention Dave's Insanity Sauce?

maxine in ri

: I can't stand something so hot you can't taste what you're eating.

That's all in your head - the "heat" receptor nerve endings aren't responsible
for flavor. Capsaicin has little or no flavor. It really means that you
aren't used to eating hot food - once you're used to eating spicy hot foods
you'll realize the flavor has no trouble coming through the heat. Think of
the heat as a sensation, and the flavor as taste.

Moe

Mike Van Pelt

In article >,
maxine in ri > wrote:
>"Blair P. Houghton" wrote:
>>
>> Ran across this list on the frenchsfoodservice.com
>> page for Frank's hot sauce:

>Did they happen to mention Dave's Insanity Sauce?

I don't care about Dave's sauce, because Dave is just
plain nuts. Anyone can play one-up with pure capsaicin,
until you're just sprinkling pure capsaicin powder into
your chili. What's the point besides frenzied macho
masochism or severe endorphin addiction?

However, a comparison which included the ones with flavor,
like Bufalo Chipotle, Melinda's, Inner Beauty, Yucateco,
and Scorned Woman... Now, that would be interesting.

--
To truly appreciate Dilbert, one must read | Mike Van Pelt
it in the orignal Ferengi. What is lost | mvp at calweb.com
in the translation is that the boss is | KE6BVH
always right. -- plopez on slashdot.org
Blair P. Houghton

Mike Van Pelt > wrote:
>In article >,
>maxine in ri > wrote:
>>"Blair P. Houghton" wrote:
>>>
>>> Ran across this list on the frenchsfoodservice.com
>>> page for Frank's hot sauce:

>>Did they happen to mention Dave's Insanity Sauce?

>I don't care about Dave's sauce, because Dave is just
>plain nuts. Anyone can play one-up with pure capsaicin,
>until you're just sprinkling pure capsaicin powder into
>your chili. What's the point besides frenzied macho
>masochism or severe endorphin addiction?

Both!

The Blair's 5am "sauce" used to be the king, at over
5 million scovilles, but it got topped, so Blair (no
relation) got geological on it:

http://www.sweatnspice.com/Top%20Sauces.htm

10-13 million scovilles. Incredible. Raw crystals
in the bottle. Amazing.

Theoretically, absolutely pure capsaicin is 16.7 million
scovilles, or therabouts.

This stuff is interesting enough for its chemical properties.

>However, a comparison which included the ones with flavor,
>like Bufalo Chipotle, Melinda's, Inner Beauty, Yucateco,
>and Scorned Woman... Now, that would be interesting.

I only posted it because nobody ever bothers posting
scovilles for the mass-market sauces; they're all busy
trying to impress the real chili-heads, who think 50k
scovilles is milky. And I thought the 3-digit precision
was kind of funny, considering the scoville rating is a
subjective one originally. I have no idea how you measure
the stoichiometry of capsaicin in organic solution...

Those million-scoville condiments aren't sauces so much
as ingredients. You'd never just put a drop on a crab-
chip, the way I do with sriracha (rooster sauce).

I wonder what the rating for sriracha is, anyway...

--Blair
"Now I want crab chips and rooster sauce..."