Willsey

Default ? Need Speedie Marinade Recipe?

I spoke with a fellow from upstate New York. He raved about something called
"Speedie or Speedi or Speedy" chicken. He said it was a marinade? that was
used on all kinds of meat, chicken, pork, beef, etc... Marinated for 3 days.
He didn't know anymore than that. Can anyone shed some like on this? It
would be great to find the recipe.

Mike W.

A Ross

In article >, "Willsey"
> wrote:

> I spoke with a fellow from upstate New York. He raved about
> something called
> "Speedie or Speedi or Speedy" chicken. He said it was a marinade?
> that was
> used on all kinds of meat, chicken, pork, beef, etc... Marinated
> for 3 days.
> He didn't know anymore than that. Can anyone shed some like on
> this? It
> would be great to find the recipe.
>
> Mike W.

Go to http://www.spiedies.com/ to learn more about spiedies.
Basically, marinated meat on a stick (shishkabobs?), grilled til
"just" done, eaten on fresh italian bread or rolls (Felix Roma
brand 'round here) with butter (sometimes adding grilled onions,
peppers, mushrooms, cheese, and mayo).

Spiedie marinades can be as elaborate or as simple as you like.
People use anything from plain ol' Italian dressing or "State
Fair Spiedie Sauce" to concoctions of olive oil, rosemary, lemon
juice, and garlic (lots of garlic). Meats used most often are
venison and chicken, but we see a lot of pork, beef, and
sometimes lamb spiedies.

Great with mustard potato salad, Grandma Browns baked beans, and
beer.
ravinwulf

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 14:33:53 -0500, "Willsey" > wrote:

>I spoke with a fellow from upstate New York. He raved about something called
>"Speedie or Speedi or Speedy" chicken. He said it was a marinade? that was
>used on all kinds of meat, chicken, pork, beef, etc... Marinated for 3 days.
>He didn't know anymore than that. Can anyone shed some like on this? It
>would be great to find the recipe.

It's not one recipe. Spiedies are like a shiskabob; the marinades
vary. Anyhow, here are a few recipes I have in my collection for them;
that should get you started.

Regards,
Tracy R.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Beef Spiedies (Celine Hughes, Vestal)

beef, grilling

3 pounds boneless beef; cubed
1 cup olive or vegetable oil
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 tablespoons lemon juice
4 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup fresh sweet basil; chopped
4 clove fresh garlic; chopped
1/4 cup italian parsley; chopped
3 tablespoons fresh mint; chopped
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Combine marinade ingredients. Let meat marinate in refrigerator for
three days. Skewer; grill over hot coals.

Note: This recipe is one of the winners of the 2002 Spiedie Fest &
Balloon Rally Expo cooking contest.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Bob's Old-Fashioned Chicken Spiedies (Bob Miner, Endicott)

chicken, grilling

2 1/2 pounds chicken breast; cubed
1 cup olive oil
1/4 cup distilled vinegar
1 medium lemon, juice only
1 medium onion; chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 tablespoon crushed red peppers
1 tablespoon dried sweet basil
2 tablespoons dried oregano
3 leaves fresh mint
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Combine marinade ingredients. Let meat marinate in refrigerator for
three days. Skewer; grill over hot coals.

Note: This recipe is one of the winners of the 2002 Spiedie Fest &
Balloon Rally Expo cooking contest.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Doc's Traditional Pork Spiedies (Bob Miner, Endicott)

grilling, pork

2 1/2 pounds pork
1 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 large lemon, juice only
1 medium onion; cut up
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon crushed red peppers
1 tablespoon dried sweet basil
2 tablespoons dried oregano
3 each fresh mint leaves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Combine marinade ingredients. Let meat marinate in refrigerator for
two days; turn each day. Skewer; grill over hot coals.

Note: This recipe is one of the winners of the 2002 Spiedie Fest &
Balloon Rally Expo cooking contest.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Lamb Spiedies (Gloria Sullivan, Binghamton)

grilling, lamb

5 pounds boneless lamb; cut up
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup red wine
1/4 cup beer
1/4 cup minced fresh garlic
1/4 cup fresh oregano
1/4 cup fresh basil
1/4 cup dried italian seasoning
1/4 cup onion powder
1/2 cup fresh minced spearmint leaves
salt and pepper to taste

Combine marinade ingredients. Let meat marinate in refrigerator for
two days. Skewer; grill over hot coals.

Note: This recipe is one of the winners of the 2002 Spiedie Fest &
Balloon Rally Expo cooking contest.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

News Channel 34 Spiedies You Can Count On

grilling, chicken

3 pounds chicken breasts; cut up
1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup white wine
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 stalk parsley
3 tablespoons chives; chopped
1 tablespoon fresh basil
3 garlic cloves; pressed
4 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper
2 tablespoons dry italian seasoning
juice of 1 lime
juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon crushed red peppers

Combine marinade ingredients. Let meat marinate in refrigerator.
Skewer; grill over hot coals.

Recipe by: Jon Alhart and Grant Loomis, WIVT-TV

Note: This recipe is one of the winners of the 2002 Spiedie Fest &
Balloon Rally Expo cooking contest.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Portobello Mushroom Spiedies (Aimee K. Jurista, Cazenovia)

grilling, mushrooms, vegetables

4 large portobello mushroom caps
2 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon mixed dried italian herbs; see ingredient note
1 teaspoon mixed fresh herbs, minced; see ingredient note
1/4 cup champagne vinegar or wine vinegar

Ingredient note:
Mixed dried Italian herbs: oregano, basil, thyme, marjoram.
Mixed fresh herbs: thyme and rosemary.

Clean mushrooms and cut into 2-inch chunks. Combine remainder of
ingredients in a separate bowl. Marinate mushrooms for about 15
minutes. Skewer and grill on medium until lightly browned on all
sides. Server on grilled crusty French peasant bread. Servers two to
four.

Note: This recipe is one of the winners of the 2002 Spiedie Fest &
Balloon Rally Expo cooking contest.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Veal Spiedies By John (John Bertoni, Endicott)

grilling, veal

5 pounds cubed veal
1 gallon olive oil
3 fresh garlic cloves; minced
1 liter red wine or wine vinegar
3 cups lemon juice
4 fresh lemons, squeezed; keep the lemons
2 cups italian seasoning
1 cup oregano
1 cup basil
1/2 cup parsley

Combine marinade ingredients, including the squeezed lemons. Marinate
meat in refrigerator. Skewer; grill over hot coals.