Jean Clarke

Default searching for Taylor Porkroll

Many years ago , back in New Jersey, I and my family enjoyed the
wonderful and unique Taylor Porkroll. It was sold throughout the
northeastern states at most grocery stores, and even on the boardwalk of
Atlantic City, where they had a specialty shop dedicated to sandwiches.
The only way I could get it on the west coast was to order it by mail.
Can anyone help me?

Just a Jeanie

Cate

"Jean Clarke" > wrote in message
> Many years ago , back in New Jersey, I and my family enjoyed the
> wonderful and unique Taylor Porkroll. It was sold throughout the
> northeastern states at most grocery stores, and even on the boardwalk of
> Atlantic City, where they had a specialty shop dedicated to sandwiches.
> The only way I could get it on the west coast was to order it by mail.
> Can anyone help me?

I was thrilled to have this treat from my childhood available to me in
stores once again after recently moving to Baltimore. My grandmother also
ordered the unsliced 'logs' by mail. She's gone so I can't ask her where she
got it, but I did find these:
http://www.hometown-treats.com/produ...pork_roll.html
http://www.porkrollxpress.com/newstore/

Cate

Nancy Young

Jean Clarke wrote:

> Many years ago , back in New Jersey, I and my family enjoyed the
> wonderful and unique Taylor Porkroll. It was sold throughout the
> northeastern states at most grocery stores, and even on the boardwalk of
> Atlantic City, where they had a specialty shop dedicated to sandwiches.
> The only way I could get it on the west coast was to order it by mail.
> Can anyone help me?

Well, I'm known far and wide for shipping Taylor Porkroll to
NJ expats and to cookins. I'd be willing to send you some at cost.
Email me if you're interested, you will undoubtedly save a load on
the shipping.

nancy
Foxy Lady

"Cate" > wrote in message
> "Jean Clarke" > wrote in message
> > Many years ago , back in New Jersey, I and my family enjoyed the
> > wonderful and unique Taylor Porkroll. It was sold throughout the
> > northeastern states at most grocery stores, and even on the boardwalk of
> > Atlantic City, where they had a specialty shop dedicated to sandwiches.
> > The only way I could get it on the west coast was to order it by mail.
> > Can anyone help me?

> I was thrilled to have this treat from my childhood available to me in
> stores once again after recently moving to Baltimore. My grandmother also
> ordered the unsliced 'logs' by mail. She's gone so I can't ask her where

she
> got it, but I did find these:
> http://www.hometown-treats.com/produ...pork_roll.html
> http://www.porkrollxpress.com/newstore/
>
> Cate

Hi Cate...

Welcome to baltimore...
I'm in Glen Burnie, just south of you, and we've seen it at BJ's Wholesale
in the Glen Burnie/Pasadena area (Ritchie Highway to be exact)...

I'll be there this afternoon and I'll find out how much it costs to let you
know.

Regards,

Sandra

Christine Dabney

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 11:30:04 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>Well, I'm known far and wide for shipping Taylor Porkroll to
>NJ expats and to cookins. I'd be willing to send you some at cost.
>Email me if you're interested, you will undoubtedly save a load on
>the shipping.
>
>nancy

Hmm..since I am driving up through NJ to the brunch, I might be able
to pick one up for myself. Forgot they were in that area.

Christine
Foxy Lady

"Cate" > wrote in message
> "Jean Clarke" > wrote in message
> > Many years ago , back in New Jersey, I and my family enjoyed the
> > wonderful and unique Taylor Porkroll. It was sold throughout the
> > northeastern states at most grocery stores, and even on the boardwalk of
> > Atlantic City, where they had a specialty shop dedicated to sandwiches.
> > The only way I could get it on the west coast was to order it by mail.
> > Can anyone help me?

> I was thrilled to have this treat from my childhood available to me in
> stores once again after recently moving to Baltimore. My grandmother also
> ordered the unsliced 'logs' by mail. She's gone so I can't ask her where

she
> got it, but I did find these:
> http://www.hometown-treats.com/produ...pork_roll.html
> http://www.porkrollxpress.com/newstore/
>
> Cate

Hi again Cate,

I just got back from BJ's and they were out of the Taylor Pork Roll, but
they had the Trenton... it's $15.49 for a 6 pound roll.

I'll be going to Costco & Sam's Club tomorrow and I'll check there for it
also.

Regards,

Sandra

Cate

"Foxy Lady" > wrote in message

> Hi again Cate,

Hi, neighbor.

> I just got back from BJ's and they were out of the Taylor Pork Roll, but
> they had the Trenton... it's $15.49 for a 6 pound roll.
>
> I'll be going to Costco & Sam's Club tomorrow and I'll check there for it
> also.

I'm actually not the one looking for it. That was the original poster.

I can get it at the Shopper's Food Warehouse in my neighborhood (Locust
Point). Terrible store otherwise, but they do have pork roll.

Cate

Cate

"Cate" > wrote in message
> "Foxy Lady" > wrote in message
>
> > Hi again Cate,

> Hi, neighbor.
>
> > I just got back from BJ's and they were out of the Taylor Pork Roll, but
> > they had the Trenton... it's $15.49 for a 6 pound roll.
> >
> > I'll be going to Costco & Sam's Club tomorrow and I'll check there for

it
> > also.

> I'm actually not the one looking for it. That was the original poster.

Whoops. I meant to thank you for checking anyway.

Cate

Mark Shaw > wrote:

> Someone here in Dallas was raving about it a few weeks ago. I
> happened to see it at Central Market's deli counter, and bought a
> couple of slices to taste.

> Blech!

> I guess it's an acquired taste -- but to me it was like slightly
> spoiled bologna, or something similar.

How did you eat the Taylor Pork Roll? As a New Jersian so TPR is readily
available to me, yet I agree that its an acquired taste. To me, TPR has
very subtle flavor. For me, TPR is just one of those things that's there,
but there are different ways to eat Taylor Pork Roll. A popular way is to
take thin slices of TPR, make a cut in each slice so it doesn't warp and
fry them in a heavy pan over a high heat for a minute or two per slice,
then serve as a sandwhich, or eat in place of sausage or ham with your
favorite egg dish for breakfast.

Nancy can give more specific details on cooking and eating TPR than I can
see she's a fan of it.

Jean Clarke

I thank all of you for responding to my request. I was going to order
some for Xmas gifts. I am not one for shopping on line, but prefer to
order it directly from its home company. I have some very old order
blanks for: The Taylor Provision Company, P.O. Box 8485, Trenton, N.J.
08650. There was no tel #, or internet address attached to this
information. I tried a search on my ricky-tick web server with no luck.
I'll keep trying and remembering the good ole' times and summer
breakfasts, at the bungalow in the not very fancy Port Monmouth, N.J.
Thanks again.

Just a Jeanie

Nancy Young

Jean Clarke wrote:

> I thank all of you for responding to my request. I was going to order
> some for Xmas gifts. I am not one for shopping on line, but prefer to
> order it directly from its home company. I have some very old order
> blanks for: The Taylor Provision Company, P.O. Box 8485, Trenton, N.J.
> 08650. There was no tel #, or internet address attached to this
> information.

(laughing!) Well, I guess she told me. So much for old reliable.

nancy
Jean Clarke

Nancy, I am truly sorry if I offended you, and If it is because I
referred to Port Monmouth, N.J. as being "not too fancy", I was only
thinking of all the very good times I had there. Our bungalow was built
by my grandfather, a rustic shell of a place, we pumped our own water,
and like so many places during the great depression, in rural locales,
we used out-houses, cooked on kerosene stoves, picked wild blackberries
and asparagus, fished, crabbed, clammed and had a fragrant summer garden
that grew our vegetables. It was always filled with a happy, a bit
raggedy group of grandchildren with dirty faces and enormous appetites.
The adults stayed in the hot and smoky cities to work all week, then
traveled in traffic clogged highways (there were no freeways) to join up
with the children on the happy and expectant weekends. One brave and
loving grandma took care of all of us, every summer, Monday thru Friday
without much help from her suntanned charges. Ice wagons and vegetable
trucks stopped frequently and we climbed all over them, and we received
large pieces of ice and a sweet and juicy peach or plum to stain our
already spotted faces! I write with love in my heart for those days, and
wonder how much is missing from the young lives we nurture today. What
has replaced the nickel we clutched in a sweaty hand as we walked a mile
to the vanilla smell of the penny-candy store, for that treasure twisted
in such a tiny brown bag.......

Just a Jeanie

Charles Gifford

"Jean Clarke" > wrote in message
> Many years ago , back in New Jersey, I and my family enjoyed the
> wonderful and unique Taylor Porkroll. It was sold throughout the
> northeastern states at most grocery stores, and even on the boardwalk of
> Atlantic City, where they had a specialty shop dedicated to sandwiches.
> The only way I could get it on the west coast was to order it by mail.
> Can anyone help me?
>
> Just a Jeanie

My local Vons supermarket here in Sandy Eggo carries it now.

Charlie

Cate

"Jean Clarke" > wrote in message
> I thank all of you for responding to my request. I was going to order
> some for Xmas gifts. I am not one for shopping on line, but prefer to
> order it directly from its home company. I have some very old order
> blanks for: The Taylor Provision Company, P.O. Box 8485, Trenton, N.J.
> 08650. There was no tel #, or internet address attached to this
> information.

If you don't want to order it online, then perhaps you should get offline
and start making phone calls.

Try calling 800.555.1212 and ask for their 800 (or any other toll-free)
number. If that's a bust, call directory assistance in Trenton (find the
area code for Trenton on the web and dial it + 555.1212); I'd be awfully
surprised if Taylor Provision Company (if that's who still makes it) has no
phones.

Cate

Nancy Young

Cate wrote:

> "Jean Clarke" > wrote in message
> > I thank all of you for responding to my request. I was going to order
> > some for Xmas gifts. I am not one for shopping on line, but prefer to
> > order it directly from its home company. I have some very old order
> > blanks for: The Taylor Provision Company, P.O. Box 8485, Trenton, N.J.
> > 08650. There was no tel #, or internet address attached to this
> > information.

> If you don't want to order it online, then perhaps you should get offline
> and start making phone calls.
>
> Try calling 800.555.1212 and ask for their 800 (or any other toll-free)
> number. If that's a bust, call directory assistance in Trenton (find the
> area code for Trenton on the web and dial it + 555.1212); I'd be awfully
> surprised if Taylor Provision Company (if that's who still makes it) has no
> phones.

Last time I heard, they do NOT sell direct.

nancy

Cate

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> Last time I heard, they do NOT sell direct.

But surely they could point a fan of the product in the direction of a
distributor or a local store.

Cate

Cate > wrote:
> "Jean Clarke" > wrote in message
>> I thank all of you for responding to my request. I was going to order
>> some for Xmas gifts. I am not one for shopping on line, but prefer to
>> order it directly from its home company. I have some very old order
>> blanks for: The Taylor Provision Company, P.O. Box 8485, Trenton, N.J.
>> 08650. There was no tel #, or internet address attached to this
>> information.

> If you don't want to order it online, then perhaps you should get offline
> and start making phone calls.

> Try calling 800.555.1212 and ask for their 800 (or any other toll-free)
> number. If that's a bust, call directory assistance in Trenton (find the
> area code for Trenton on the web and dial it + 555.1212); I'd be awfully
> surprised if Taylor Provision Company (if that's who still makes it) has no
> phones.

The phone number might be at http://www.switchboard.com

In fact, I just looked up "Taylor Provision Company" there
for Trenton, NJ and here's the info:

63 Perrine Ave
Trenton, NJ 08638-5114
Phone:Ê(609) 392-1113

Kate Connally

Jean Clarke wrote:

> I thank all of you for responding to my request. I was going to order
> some for Xmas gifts. I am not one for shopping on line, but prefer to
> order it directly from its home company. I have some very old order
> blanks for: The Taylor Provision Company, P.O. Box 8485, Trenton, N.J.
> 08650. There was no tel #, or internet address attached to this
> information. I tried a search on my ricky-tick web server with no luck.
> I'll keep trying and remembering the good ole' times and summer
> breakfasts, at the bungalow in the not very fancy Port Monmouth, N.J.
> Thanks again.
>
> Just a Jeanie

I believe they for sale online by at least a
couple of different companies. Just
google "Taylor Pork Roll".
Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

alzelt

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "Jean Clarke" > wrote in message
>
>>Many years ago , back in New Jersey, I and my family enjoyed the
>>wonderful and unique Taylor Porkroll. It was sold throughout the
>>northeastern states at most grocery stores, and even on the boardwalk of
>>Atlantic City, where they had a specialty shop dedicated to sandwiches.
>>The only way I could get it on the west coast was to order it by mail.
>>Can anyone help me?
>>
>>Just a Jeanie

> My local Vons supermarket here in Sandy Eggo carries it now.
>
> Charlie

Sure beets other products they carry!!!
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Mark Shaw

Nancy Young > wrote:

> Don't be offended, Mark, but that was the best laugh I had in a long
> time. You might still not like it cooked, but I can assure you, I
> never heard of anyone eating pork roll raw.

Okay, waitaminnit. Is it raw raw, as in it-could-make-you-
sick-if-you-dont-cook-it, or is it raw in that it's better
cooked like some people like their bologna?

--
Mark Shaw anti-spam: change 'bang' to 'not' to email me
"This time I think the Americans are serious. Bush is not like Clinton.
Virginia Tadrzynski

wrote:

can

> > > I am? (laugh) I *ship* it to rfc people. I'd never even heard of it
> > > until I met my first husband. I like it. People miss it who grew
> > > up here; I didn't.

> > > Once in a blue moon, I really do love a pork roll and cheese
> > > sandwich, I promise all of you, this is NOT a low fat product.
> > > Two bites, I'm done.

> > Oops. Sorry Nancy.

> No need to be sorry, not for an instant. I was just saying.
>
> > I agree, TPR is not low fat, but I wonder if its any higher in fat
> > than sausage, sliced ham, Canadian bacon, and other similar foods.

> I was talking about TPR and cheese sandwiches. Get a good Kaiser
> roll with the seeds, cook up 3 slices of TPR (don't forget to slash
> it on 4 sides to keep it flat), when one side is cooked, turn them
> over and top each slice with a slice of American cheese. Stack them
> on the (warmed) kaiser roll once the cheese has melted. Eat.
>
> (laugh) Anyway, I didn't mean TPR is fattier than anything else, I
> meant the sandwich. That's how it's served here. Pork Roll & Cheese.
>
> nancy

Nancy, what? No egg? That's high eating in my house....TPR, cheese and
eggs on an English muffin.
-Ginny

PS> there are groups that make packages for transport around the world a
"Taste' of a certain area. Philadelphia's has Tasty Kakes and TPR in them.

j.j.

Hark! I heard Mark Shaw > say:
> Nancy Young > wrote:

> > Don't be offended, Mark, but that was the best laugh I had in a long
> > time. You might still not like it cooked, but I can assure you, I
> > never heard of anyone eating pork roll raw.

> Okay, waitaminnit. Is it raw raw, as in it-could-make-you-
> sick-if-you-dont-cook-it, or is it raw in that it's better
> cooked like some people like their bologna?

I was picturing some kind of pre-cooked meat myself -- words
like "sandwich" and "bologna" were kicked around so often in
this thread, I guess I started picturing lunch meat... :-)

--
j.j. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
Mark Shaw

j.j. > wrote:
> Hark! I heard Mark Shaw > say:

> > Okay, waitaminnit. Is it raw raw, as in it-could-make-you-
> > sick-if-you-dont-cook-it, or is it raw in that it's better
> > cooked like some people like their bologna?

> I was picturing some kind of pre-cooked meat myself -- words
> like "sandwich" and "bologna" were kicked around so often in
> this thread, I guess I started picturing lunch meat... :-)

FWIW, it didn't *taste* raw -- just weird.

--
Mark Shaw anti-spam: change 'bang' to 'not' to email me
"This time I think the Americans are serious. Bush is not like Clinton.
I think this is the end." - Uday Hussein, April 2003
Nancy Young

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> > (laugh) Anyway, I didn't mean TPR is fattier than anything else, I
> > meant the sandwich. That's how it's served here. Pork Roll & Cheese.

> Nancy, what? No egg? That's high eating in my house....TPR, cheese and
> eggs on an English muffin.

(laugh) No, I never heard of that, I don't think, though it's a
natural. As I said, TPR doesn't play a major role (harrr) in my
life, I didn't grow up with it.

> PS> there are groups that make packages for transport around the world a
> "Taste' of a certain area. Philadelphia's has Tasty Kakes and TPR in them.

No Tasty Kakes for me, either. No way my parents would have sprung
for either.

nancy

Nancy Young

Mark Shaw wrote:

> Nancy Young > wrote:
>
> > Don't be offended, Mark, but that was the best laugh I had in a long
> > time. You might still not like it cooked, but I can assure you, I
> > never heard of anyone eating pork roll raw.

> Okay, waitaminnit. Is it raw raw, as in it-could-make-you-
> sick-if-you-dont-cook-it, or is it raw in that it's better
> cooked like some people like their bologna?

I've asked around, and no one seems really to know. Perhaps
because no one thinks to eat it the way it comes. Someone here
must know the answer. Where's Alan Zelt?

nancy
Mark Shaw

Nancy Young > wrote:
> Mark Shaw wrote:
> >
> > Okay, waitaminnit. Is it raw raw, as in it-could-make-you-
> > sick-if-you-dont-cook-it, or is it raw in that it's better
> > cooked like some people like their bologna?

> I've asked around, and no one seems really to know. Perhaps
> because no one thinks to eat it the way it comes. Someone here
> must know the answer. Where's Alan Zelt?

According to www.porkrollexpress.com, it's "a fully cooked
meat product." All of the recipes there involve frying or
nuking it, though.

I can't seem to find a website for the manufacturer.

--
Mark Shaw anti-spam: change 'bang' to 'not' to email me
"This time I think the Americans are serious. Bush is not like Clinton.
I think this is the end." - Uday Hussein, April 2003

Thermapen VS Taylor Ed Pawlowski General Cooking 4 29-08-2012 07:17 AM
Taylor ham hermit General Cooking 62 01-10-2007 03:57 PM
Taylor Ham - Thanks folks! hermit General Cooking 2 24-08-2006 07:50 AM
Porkroll-egg-cheese sandwich mary General Cooking 22 28-02-2005 03:58 PM
Taylor or Poulder Jack Sloan Cooking Equipment 15 18-01-2004 08:15 PM