Tank

Default Pastrami = Smoked Corned Beef Brisket?

Hello All!

I have only eaten pastrami once in my life, years
ago, in a deli on a sandwich. It's been so long that
I scarce remember. I have been told that pastrami
is a corned beef brisket which is smoked.

I have a very nice brisket from a cow that my
father in law purchased from a local farm family.
This is the 5th year he has purchased a cow from
them. He has it slaughtered, cut & packaged at
an old line butcher shop & meat operation. Each
of his kids families get a 1/4 cow each year.
Hasselbach made this brisket, in-house, so it
should be pretty yummy.

I am going to make a Christmas party treat with the
corned beef. Serve it with some spicy mustard, Swiss
cheese, and a really dark pumpernickel. I posted over
in rec.food.barbeque, and got some ideas, and wanted
to see what folks over hear would say. Especially
yoose New Yawkers.

It has been suggested that I soak the corned beef for 24
hours or so, changing the water frequently to remove salt.
I hesitate to do that, as it is a home-corned product,
rather than a from a commercial packer. I am thinking of
smoking it as, with just some pepper and coriander seed.

One person suggested I put it in at 130 F, with medium smoke
and high airflow, until the surface is dry. Then decrease the
airflow and increase the heat until the brisket gets to
about 175 - 180 internal. About 5 hours was mentioned. This
process sounds logical to me, the time may be a bit long,
as this is not a massive brisket. A couple of pounds, fits
in a large ziploc bag.

So, any comments on what my final product should be? I am
using apple wood because it is milder than hickory. I wasn't
planning on using anything other than a dusting of cracked
peppercorns & coriander, as suggested in the other group.

Thanks in advance for any help!

--
Tank

The Q Zone

Edwin Pawlowski

"Tank" > wrote in message

> I have been told that pastrami
> is a corned beef brisket which is smoked.

Pretty much.

> It has been suggested that I soak the corned beef for 24
> hours or so, changing the water frequently to remove salt.
> I hesitate to do that, as it is a home-corned product,
> rather than a from a commercial packer. I am thinking of
> smoking it as, with just some pepper and coriander seed.

I'd give it a rinse, maybe a loght soaking depending on the salt conetne. I
cure my own and I don't have to soak it as it is not as salty as the
commercial made stuff.

> One person suggested I put it in at 130 F, with medium smoke
> and high airflow, until the surface is dry. Then decrease the
> airflow and increase the heat until the brisket gets to
> about 175 - 180 internal. About 5 hours was mentioned. This
> process sounds logical to me, the time may be a bit long,
> as this is not a massive brisket. A couple of pounds, fits
> in a large ziploc bag.

I use pepper, coriander and garlic. I put it in the smoker right along with
a brisket that I may be making for barbecue. Cooking temperature is 250 to
275. I go for an internal temperature of 190 to 195. I use a full cut
piece and I've never had it dry out. You do have to let it break down the
collagen to tenderize it a bit. After smoking, let it stand in the fridge,
well wrapped, overnight.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome