jmcquown

Default REQ: Fried Baby Artichokes

I saw this on a cooking show some time last year; I came into the show late
but I believe the woman was from Italy. From what I could tell when I
started watching, she had taken some baby artichokes and cut them in half
down the center. It appeared they were merely sprinkled with kosher or sea
salt, I couldn't really tell, and then pan fried in olive oil until they
were golden.

I've done some searches and come up with a few recipes. But most of them
call for eggs to make a batter and use either canned quartered artichoke
hearts or frozen artichoke hearts. Example:

2 cans artichoke hearts, wash & drain, cut in halves
In a bowl mix 2 beaten eggs, add salt, pepper and parsley. Take each
artichoke heart and dip in batter. Roll in seasoned bread crumbs and fry.
Can be served either hot or cold.

The batter idea makes some sense, but I don't think that's the actual recipe
for the simple "something-carciofi" I'm thinking of. Since I didn't see the
start of the show and can't even recall which show it was, I don't know if
she used a batter. I know I don't want to use canned or frozen artichoke
hearts; I've seen some lovely baby artichokes in the produce section.

Anyone?

Jill

cristina

Default Fried Baby Artichokes

jmcquown wrote:
> I saw this on a cooking show some time last year; I came into the
> show late but I believe the woman was from Italy. From what I could
> tell when I started watching, she had taken some baby artichokes and
> cut them in half down the center. It appeared they were merely
> sprinkled with kosher or sea salt, I couldn't really tell, and then
> pan fried in olive oil until they were golden.

Sounds like Carciofi alla Giudea except that they are done whole not cut in
half. This is a traditional dish from the Jewish Ghetto of Rome. Here are
a few sites with recipes:
http://members.aol.com/AFPIntl/artichoke.html
http://www.italianmade.com/recipes/recipe136.cfm
http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/r..._13078,00.html

HTH
Cristina
--
Info on Moving to Italy and Driving in Italy
http://www.cristinasweb.com

jmcquown

cristina wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> I saw this on a cooking show some time last year; I came into the
>> show late but I believe the woman was from Italy. From what I could
>> tell when I started watching, she had taken some baby artichokes and
>> cut them in half down the center. It appeared they were merely
>> sprinkled with kosher or sea salt, I couldn't really tell, and then
>> pan fried in olive oil until they were golden.

> Sounds like Carciofi alla Giudea except that they are done whole not
> cut in half.

(snip great links)
> HTH
> Cristina

Thanks, Cristina! I think I thought they were cut in half because they are
so small. I came into the show late, as I stated. I appreciate the links!

Jill

anna maria

jmcquown wrote:

> cristina wrote:
>
>>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>>I saw this on a cooking show some time last year; I came into the
>>>show late but I believe the woman was from Italy. From what I could
>>>tell when I started watching, she had taken some baby artichokes and
>>>cut them in half down the center. It appeared they were merely
>>>sprinkled with kosher or sea salt, I couldn't really tell, and then
>>>pan fried in olive oil until they were golden.

>>Sounds like Carciofi alla Giudea except that they are done whole not
>>cut in half.

> (snip great links)
>
>>HTH
>>Cristina

> Thanks, Cristina! I think I thought they were cut in half because they are
> so small. I came into the show late, as I stated. I appreciate the links!
>
> Jill

all are very good recipes except where emeril says to garnish with
pecorino romano. yuk! you don't garnish, just eat them. :-)
artichokes jewish style are done in a way that the leaves become very
brown and crispy, pressing the articokes to the bottom of the pan. roman
style instead you don't press them and are just deep fried and tender.
you may want to consider looking at the recipe he

http://www.annamariavolpi.com/page11.html

it is important to find baby artichokes with no tough chokes.

ciao, anna maria

www.annamariavolpi.com