Pat DiPersia

Default Bland steaks, especially filet - how do I fix?

I've done some research on the subject of cooking filets, and everything I
can find says, "Do NOT do anything to the steaks before cooking them." They
mean not add seasoning, spices, etc. The biggest concern is adding anything
that contains salt to the filet, which will pull all the juices out of the
meat. At least that part I can agree on.

However, no matter what I do, I can never get a really good taste with
steaks, especially filet. I understand that filet (By most opinions) has
the least flavor and you need to season it. But I've had filets at
restaurants that are out of this world; I just want to know what they do.
Does it marinate for days? Or is it the secret sauce they use?

Last night I cooked some filets. We like them med-rare usually and they
always come out very tender and juicy. Prior to cooking, I slathered the
meat up with some oil and worchestire (sp?) sauce, and added some pepper,
garlic powder and minced onion. They were cooked for 7-8 minutes on the
first side, about 5-6 on the flip side. I NEVER cut into a steak to verify
it's done, and we always let them sit for about 5 minutes before eating.
Still, not enough flavor for me.

Any suggestions?

Reg

Pat DiPersia wrote:

> Still, not enough flavor for me.
>
> Any suggestions?

Some people wrap in bacon, but if it's more flavor you want you
should consider a different cut of meat. Fillet lacks flavor because
it's so lean.

J Quick

"Pat DiPersia" > wrote in message
> yada yada yada snipped
>
> Last night I cooked some filets.
>
> yada yada yada snipped

All that and ya still somehow completely neglected to say how you cooked
them. All you've said to this point is how long you cooked them.

? We like them med-rare usually and they
> always come out very tender and juicy. Prior to cooking, I slathered the
> meat up with some oil and worchestire (sp?) sauce, and added some pepper,
> garlic powder and minced onion. They were cooked for 7-8 minutes on the
> first side, about 5-6 on the flip side. I NEVER cut into a steak to

verify
> it's done, and we always let them sit for about 5 minutes before eating.
> Still, not enough flavor for me.

What's "enough flavor"? It doesn't take much seasoning to overpower and
mask the flavor of beef. Where did you buy the steak and how did you
determine its quality?

PENMART01

"Pat DiPersia-DeIRANIAN DOUCHE BAG" writes:

>I've done some research on the subject of cooking filets, and everything I
>can find says, "Do NOT do anything to the steaks before cooking them."

You ****ing imbecile, WHAT KIND OF STEAK!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

SportKite1

>From: "Pat DiPersia"

>I've done some research on the subject of cooking filets, and everything I
>can find says, "Do NOT do anything to the steaks before cooking them." They
>mean not add seasoning, spices, etc. The biggest concern is adding anything
>that contains salt to the filet, which will pull all the juices out of the
>meat. At least that part I can agree on.

I don't. Every chef I know seasons new york strips, porterhouse, filet,
ribeyes, etc with a good bit of salt and pepper immediately before searing over
high heat. In my experience if there isn't smoke, the steak will steam in its
juices, not carmelize which creates much of the beefy flavor that is so
desireable. It isn't the salt that draws out the juices, it's cooking it over
too low of heat.

On those rare occasions we can afford filet, we simply season it with coarse
sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, sear it on both sides until crusty and
finish in the oven until medium rare. Accompanied with a good bearnaise the
steaks are quite tasty.

A treatment I like to do to 2 inch filets is to marinate in half and half dijon
mustard and tamari sauce for thirty minutes. Pat excess off and sear on both
sides over a grill. The crusty surface holds in the juices quite nicely, and it
has a terrific salty smooth spicey flavor.

Other steaks, such as sirloin, skirt and flank, take to marinating beautifully.
But pat dry and grill or broil using high heat.

Ellen

sf

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 12:53:46 -0500, "Pat DiPersia"
> wrote:

> I've done some research on the subject of cooking filets, and everything I
> can find says, "Do NOT do anything to the steaks before cooking them."

Personally, I like thyme and garlic.

Dave Smith

Pat DiPersia wrote:

> I've done some research on the subject of cooking filets, and everything I
> can find says, "Do NOT do anything to the steaks before cooking them." They
> mean not add seasoning, spices, etc. The biggest concern is adding anything
> that contains salt to the filet, which will pull all the juices out of the
> meat. At least that part I can agree on.
>
> However, no matter what I do, I can never get a really good taste with
> steaks, especially filet. I understand that filet (By most opinions) has
> the least flavor and you need to season it. But I've had filets at
> restaurants that are out of this world; I just want to know what they do.
> Does it marinate for days? Or is it the secret sauce they use?
>
> Last night I cooked some filets. We like them med-rare usually and they
> always come out very tender and juicy. Prior to cooking, I slathered the
> meat up with some oil and worchestire (sp?) sauce, and added some pepper,
> garlic powder and minced onion. They were cooked for 7-8 minutes on the
> first side, about 5-6 on the flip side. I NEVER cut into a steak to verify
> it's done, and we always let them sit for about 5 minutes before eating.
> Still, not enough flavor for me.

Filets are my favourite cut, and my first suggestion would have been not to cook
them until I got to the part where you said that you do them medium rare, though
7-8 minutes on first side and another 5-6 on the other. I usually do them no
more than 5 minutes per side. I so them on a hot pan so that they are well
seared on the outside but a little bit of raw meat in the middle.

I usually rub them with garlic and then slather them with olive oil before
cooking. After they come off the heat let them sit about 5 minute and then
season them with salt and pepper.

Occasionally, I use them for pepper steaks. I loosen my pepper mill enough to
get a nice coarse grind and give a good dose of pepper to each side. I sprinkle
some salt into a hot cast iron pan and toss the filets into the pan. When the
steaks are cooked I take them off and set them on a platter to sit. Then I add
some red wine, a bit of Worcestershire sauce and a squeeze of lemon juice to the
pan to deglaze, then a chunk of butter to make a sauce and pour it over the
steaks.

Tigger News

I always cook my steaks diferently depending on the cut of meat. (Don't know
if your cuts have the same name as ours here in asutralia) Anyway the 'band'
ones as you put it I well tend to marinate. There are a number of marinateds
you can use. My fraverouit one is

2 tablspoons dry roasted in a frying pan, then crushed in a moter and pessle
1/3 mirin (cooking sake) to 2/3 soy sauce (about 1 cup)
1 clove of gralic and about the same size pice of giner finly choped (or
grated fine)

marinate the meat for NO MORE than an hour and BBQ or pan fry

I usally surve with rice and tempura vegies with a dipping scuase made of
1/3 mirin (cooking sake) to 2/3 soy sauce ginger and chili.

If you which a stake to taste of beef and tell me who doesn't then buy a
different cut and BBQ it on its own, or mabe with a little seeded mustard on
each side just to lend some extra oils.

"Pat DiPersia" > wrote in message
> I've done some research on the subject of cooking filets, and everything I
> can find says, "Do NOT do anything to the steaks before cooking them."

They
> mean not add seasoning, spices, etc. The biggest concern is adding

anything
> that contains salt to the filet, which will pull all the juices out of the
> meat. At least that part I can agree on.
>
> However, no matter what I do, I can never get a really good taste with
> steaks, especially filet. I understand that filet (By most opinions) has
> the least flavor and you need to season it. But I've had filets at
> restaurants that are out of this world; I just want to know what they do.
> Does it marinate for days? Or is it the secret sauce they use?
>
> Last night I cooked some filets. We like them med-rare usually and they
> always come out very tender and juicy. Prior to cooking, I slathered the
> meat up with some oil and worchestire (sp?) sauce, and added some pepper,
> garlic powder and minced onion. They were cooked for 7-8 minutes on the
> first side, about 5-6 on the flip side. I NEVER cut into a steak to

verify
> it's done, and we always let them sit for about 5 minutes before eating.
> Still, not enough flavor for me.
>
> Any suggestions?

Bob Pastorio

Pat DiPersia wrote:

> I've done some research on the subject of cooking filets, and everything I
> can find says, "Do NOT do anything to the steaks before cooking them." They
> mean not add seasoning, spices, etc. The biggest concern is adding anything
> that contains salt to the filet, which will pull all the juices out of the
> meat. At least that part I can agree on.

Well, you shouldn't. That's the sort of "wisdom" that somebody said a
long time ago and food writers ever since have parroted it. It's like
that old, "searing the meat keeps the juices in" foolishness.
Professional chefs season meats before cooking. Salting meats will
draw some moisture, but not enough to even factor in.

> However, no matter what I do, I can never get a really good taste with
> steaks, especially filet. I understand that filet (By most opinions) has
> the least flavor and you need to season it. But I've had filets at
> restaurants that are out of this world; I just want to know what they do.
> Does it marinate for days? Or is it the secret sauce they use?

Marinating is that sort of adding seasoning you say you think is a bad
idea. Try a light brine for a couple hours with salt, lots of garlic
and a bit of soy sauce added to the water. Then cook hot and fast.

> Last night I cooked some filets. We like them med-rare usually and they
> always come out very tender and juicy. Prior to cooking, I slathered the
> meat up with some oil and worchestire (sp?) sauce, and added some pepper,
> garlic powder and minced onion. They were cooked for 7-8 minutes on the
> first side, about 5-6 on the flip side. I NEVER cut into a steak to verify
> it's done, and we always let them sit for about 5 minutes before eating.
> Still, not enough flavor for me.

Filet is tender. I've finished talking about their good points. Forget
cooking by time. You need to develop your sense of touch to determine
doneness. Different thicknesses will mean different times. Likewise
the temperature of the meat, likewise the temperature of whatever
you're cooking on (you don't say).

So, simplicity with a filet is likely the best way to go. Salt, pepper
and a bit of garlic an hour before cooking if you're not brining. Cook
filets hot and fast, caramelizing the surface and generating those
Maillard reaction flavors and scents to *create* flavor in the meat.
Not all cuts can tolerate this treatment, but filet can. If you want
to add more flavor, wrap it in bacon. That does two things: it adds a
bit of fat to the meat (if only surface) and helps hold the shape. If
you're really intent, you can lard the meat with your favorite fats.

But I think you're better off with tastier cuts that give a bit more
resistance to the bite. The various rib steaks are my usual faves.

Pastorio

Christine

For those of you freaking out because the poster didn't specify precisely
what the "filet" is they are cooking, that's a regional terminology thing.
In some regions, if you talk about "filet" with no more info than that,
you're talking about "filet mignon"

Christine

"Pat DiPersia" > wrote in message
> I've done some research on the subject of cooking filets, and everything I
> can find says, "Do NOT do anything to the steaks before cooking them."

They
> mean not add seasoning, spices, etc. The biggest concern is adding

anything
> that contains salt to the filet, which will pull all the juices out of the
> meat. At least that part I can agree on.
>
> However, no matter what I do, I can never get a really good taste with
> steaks, especially filet. I understand that filet (By most opinions) has
> the least flavor and you need to season it. But I've had filets at
> restaurants that are out of this world; I just want to know what they do.
> Does it marinate for days? Or is it the secret sauce they use?
>
> Last night I cooked some filets. We like them med-rare usually and they
> always come out very tender and juicy. Prior to cooking, I slathered the
> meat up with some oil and worchestire (sp?) sauce, and added some pepper,
> garlic powder and minced onion. They were cooked for 7-8 minutes on the
> first side, about 5-6 on the flip side. I NEVER cut into a steak to

verify
> it's done, and we always let them sit for about 5 minutes before eating.
> Still, not enough flavor for me.
>
> Any suggestions?

Jack Schidt®

"Pat DiPersia" > wrote in message
> I've done some research on the subject of cooking filets, and everything I
> can find says, "Do NOT do anything to the steaks before cooking them."

They
> mean not add seasoning, spices, etc. The biggest concern is adding

anything
> that contains salt to the filet, which will pull all the juices out of the
> meat. At least that part I can agree on.
>
> However, no matter what I do, I can never get a really good taste with
> steaks, especially filet. I understand that filet (By most opinions) has
> the least flavor and you need to season it. But I've had filets at
> restaurants that are out of this world; I just want to know what they do.
> Does it marinate for days? Or is it the secret sauce they use?

Probably butter, bacon fat, etc. Filet is very lean.

> Last night I cooked some filets. We like them med-rare usually and they
> always come out very tender and juicy. Prior to cooking, I slathered the
> meat up with some oil and worchestire (sp?) sauce, and added some pepper,
> garlic powder and minced onion. They were cooked for 7-8 minutes on the
> first side, about 5-6 on the flip side. I NEVER cut into a steak to

verify
> it's done, and we always let them sit for about 5 minutes before eating.
> Still, not enough flavor for me.
>
> Any suggestions?

Move to another cut of beef, like ribeye, which is more marbled. Filet is
tender and that's its calling card, not flavorful.

Jack Bif

PENMART01

What would a roadkill chomping hillybilly trailer trash **** like you know... a
dumb friggin' **** who uses commas for decorations.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Pat DiPersia

Well, to everyone that had GOOD advice, thanks. I've got some testing to
do!

"Pat DiPersia" > wrote in message
> I've done some research on the subject of cooking filets, and everything I
> can find says, "Do NOT do anything to the steaks before cooking them."

They
> mean not add seasoning, spices, etc. The biggest concern is adding

anything
> that contains salt to the filet, which will pull all the juices out of the
> meat. At least that part I can agree on.
>
> However, no matter what I do, I can never get a really good taste with
> steaks, especially filet. I understand that filet (By most opinions) has
> the least flavor and you need to season it. But I've had filets at
> restaurants that are out of this world; I just want to know what they do.
> Does it marinate for days? Or is it the secret sauce they use?
>
> Last night I cooked some filets. We like them med-rare usually and they
> always come out very tender and juicy. Prior to cooking, I slathered the
> meat up with some oil and worchestire (sp?) sauce, and added some pepper,
> garlic powder and minced onion. They were cooked for 7-8 minutes on the
> first side, about 5-6 on the flip side. I NEVER cut into a steak to

verify
> it's done, and we always let them sit for about 5 minutes before eating.
> Still, not enough flavor for me.
>
> Any suggestions?

Erica

"Pat DiPersia" > wrote in message >...

> *snip*
>
> However, no matter what I do, I can never get a really good taste with
> steaks, especially filet. I understand that filet (By most opinions) has
> the least flavor and you need to season it. But I've had filets at
> restaurants that are out of this world; I just want to know what they do.
> Does it marinate for days? Or is it the secret sauce they use?
>
>*snip*
>
> Any suggestions?

If you can get your hands on some dry-aged filet, you won't need to
put a thing on it. A dry-aged chateubriand is one of the most insanely
orgasmically deliriously delectible foods there is. But that's just my
opinion

From Cook's Illustrated:
"Every butcher knows that aging meat (a fancy term for letting meat
sit in a very cold refrigerator) makes it more tender and more
flavorful. Even the English in the Middle Ages (not a group of folks
known for their haute cuisine) hung their meat for a long time to
improve its flavor until it literally dropped from the hook.

How does aging work? Two processes are responsible. In one, called
proteolysis, an enzyme turns stiff muscle fibers into tender meat. The
other process is simply dehydration. In dry aging, a roast can lose up
to 25 percent of its original weight. Less water means more
concentrated flavor.

Although a few high-end butchers and restaurants dry-age their meat,
today most meat is wet-aged, or vacuum-sealed in plastic. Wet-aged
beef is tender, but it does not lose any moisture (or weight) as it
ages, making wet aging a much more economical process than dry aging.
However, wet-aged beef is not as flavorful as dry-aged beef, something
we've noticed in repeated tastings in the test kitchen over the years.
(Dry-aged beef has nutty, buttery notes that just aren't present in
wet-aged beef.) By letting a wet-aged roast from the supermarket age
in the refrigerator for just a short period, we found we could
approximate the dehydrating effects of dry aging at home, with an eye
to improving the flavor rather than the texture of the meat."

If you can't obtain or afford dry-aged beef, there are a few other
options. First, if you can get an "unpeeled" tenderloin (if you live
in NY by any chance, when I lived there I picked them up at Bryant &
Cooper), just throw it on the grill with a little salt and pepper. It
will be ragged and unattractive, but really well-lubricated and
flavorful.

Also, Cook's Illustrated did an article on aging prime rib at home.
For safety reasons, they caution against aging it for over a week in
home conditions. The best aged beef I've had was aged for about 6
weeks, but that was under controlled onditions. From Cook's
Illustrated: "When you get the roast home, pat it dry and place it on
a wire rack set over a cake pan or plate lined with paper towels. Set
the racked roast in the refrigerator and let it age until you are
ready to roast it, up to seven days. (Aging begins to have a dramatic
effect on the roast after three or four days, but we also detected
some improvement in flavor and texture after just one day of aging.)
Before roasting, shave off any exterior meat that has completely
dehydrated. Between the trimming and dehydration, count on a 7-pound
roast losing a pound or so during a week's aging."

Lastly, I can't imagine marinating a filet, but you can make a great
sauce. Page 9 of http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/admin...ad/bshmenu.pdf
gives some great inspiration.

HTH,
Erica
kalanamak

Dave Smith wrote:

> Baloney I say :-)
> I like Filets. They are my favourite cut of beef. Granted, they lose their
> flavour and their texture when over cooked. I do not think of them as being
> expensive. I find that my wife and I can enjoy a nice. decent sized filet each
> for less than it would cost for any other good cut of beef steak. While they are
> more expensive per pound, there is no waste. It is all good meat.

Speaking as a veggie, I can only tell you what meat-eaters have told me.
I used to by whole chunks of filet mignon, slice them 1/4" thick, and
freeze them individually, then give them a very quick pan-fry in
butter, or broil with butter, to serve die-hard meat eaters with my
veggies dishes. It cooked in a flash and everyone raved. I usually
padded back in the kitchen to churn out a second helping of it. They
were not terribly expensive bought at the butcher, and served out in
small helpings, and I swear a trained chimp could have done it as well.
blacksalt
Dave Smith

Alan, wrote:

> Don't eat fillets! They are very expensive, and very bland!

Baloney I say :-)
I like Filets. They are my favourite cut of beef. Granted, they lose their
flavour and their texture when over cooked. I do not think of them as being
expensive. I find that my wife and I can enjoy a nice. decent sized filet each
for less than it would cost for any other good cut of beef steak. While they are
more expensive per pound, there is no waste. It is all good meat.

Rub them with garlic and slather them with olive oil and you have a nice easy
dish. I like to salt to taste after. My favourite way to prepare them is to
press coarsely ground pepper into them, sprinkle some salt into a cast iron pan,
sear them on either side, reduce the heat and cook until rare to medium rare.
Take the filets out, deglaze pan with brandy or red wine (or even sherry), toss
in some butter, a dash of Worcestershire sauce and a squeeze of lemon juice and
reduce to a lovely, tasty sauce.

I also like Porterhouse, but in order to cook them the way I like them, they have
to be fairly thick. That can get expensive. We sometimes buy one big
Porterhouse. My wife, being more carnivorous than I, likes the outside strip and
I get the tenderloin part of it. My only problem with that arrangement is that
she likes her beef to be a little more cooked than I do, and the tenderloin
always seems to cook faster. The result is that her side is not quite done enough
for her taste and mine is a little too well done.

> Have a porterhouse, or a strip steak, or a rib-eye steak. They all
> have enough marbling to make the meat taste much better!

I have not had much luck with strip steaks. The only way I have found to
guarantee good results is to marinade them for 4-6 hours in a mixture of whiskey
and Dijon mustard.

> I'm a fan of good steak, grilled or fried, with the only seasoning
> being a little salt. If the meat is good, I think all that seasoning
> and marinating kinda disguises the good meat!

Pity. There are lots of things that can enhance that nice flavour.

Bland lunch today Gary General Cooking 9 28-09-2014 05:41 AM
Bland pork? garden-variety dick General Cooking 5 23-10-2009 02:41 PM
Bland pork? garden-variety dick Barbecue 5 23-10-2009 02:41 PM
Skirt steaks and flank steaks [email protected] General Cooking 103 29-05-2009 06:35 PM
Bland wine kit Wino-Nouveau Winemaking 4 02-02-2006 11:19 PM