Jack Schidt®

Default Anybody screw up yet??

I did. In an attempt to brush some errant crumbs from a pie crust I dumped
the whole thing in the sink!

Jack Oops

Yeff

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 17:44:13 GMT, Jack Schidt® wrote:

> I did. In an attempt to brush some errant crumbs from a pie crust I dumped
> the whole thing in the sink!

Mom was slicing raw potatoes and I grabbed a couple pieces to snack on with
some salt. She threatened to cut my fingers off.

It's not even 1:00pm and I've already been threatened with dismemberment.
I figure a relative will threaten to kill me by 5:00pm. <g>

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com
Nancy Young

"Jack Schidt®" wrote:

> I did. In an attempt to brush some errant crumbs from a pie crust I dumped
> the whole thing in the sink!
>
> Jack Oops

(laughing) I saw someone drop a pumkin pie just a couple of weeks
ago. Went to take the two pies out and one just slid right off,
all over the floor. What can you do, I laughed.

nancy (and Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone else, as well)
Janet Bostwick

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
. ..
> I did. In an attempt to brush some errant crumbs from a pie crust I

dumped
> the whole thing in the sink!
>
> Jack Oops

The oven quit in the middle of the dinner rolls that I have to take. I now
have brown and serve rolls. . .I hope I can pull this off and make them
think that I am really clever.
Janet

The Ranger

Jack Schidt® > wrote in message
. ..
> I did. In an attempt to brush some errant crumbs from a pie crust
> I dumped the whole thing in the sink!

I hope that's the least of your worries today (unless it was your donation
to the feast, in which case... Here's a glass of cask strength Laophraig.
Enjoy.)

For Clan Ranger, the oven the turkey was in wasn't heating correctly.
Luckily we have another full-on oven to work with while
The-Man-That-Can-Fix-Anything-Mechanical (my FIL) figures out why it decided
today was it's holiday, too.

Happy happy back at everyone else.

The Ranger

SportKite1

>From: "Jack Schidt®"

>I did. In an attempt to brush some errant crumbs from a pie crust I dumped
>the whole thing in the sink!
>
>Jack Oops

LOL...it's always the little things. No screwups yet. The turkey looks
beautiful - just took it out of the oven. Mopped it with Paul Prudhomme's
Redfish Blackened seasoning and olive oil while cooking and the nibble I nabbed
off the leg (gotta check that wiggle dontcha know) taste more like duck than
Turkey. YUM!

We did a really simple stuffing this year - half and half bread and cornbread,
plus the requisite onions, celery, fresh herbs, stock, butter and egg...but new
twist (ala the House Chef) the sauteed turkey liver finely minced. I was a
little concerned about that, but the nibbles are absolutely delish.

Lots of drippings for the gravy, but that hasn't been made yet, so there's room
for a screw up there...hehehe.

I thought I screwed up the bread pudding last night (I make it in a loaf pan
and chill it overnite). But sliced this morning with warm butter rum raisin
sauce, it was fantastic!

Even the key lime pie with macadamia-coconut crust looks like it turned out
well. Now, if I can avoid overbeating the cream, I may come through this meal
without event.

OOPS....I forgot the one big screw-up. Forgot to buy beer, and it's a sunny
warm day. But that was easily resolved with a quick trip to Albertson's for a
six pack of St. Pauli's.

Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone!
Ellen

zxcvbob

Jack Schidt® wrote:

> I did. In an attempt to brush some errant crumbs from a pie crust I dumped
> the whole thing in the sink!
>
> Jack Oops

Not much; the pecan pie is a little too done (almost scorched but not
quite,) and the meringue is shrinking *big-time* on the lemon pie and has
pulled away from the crust. Hopefully there's not a puddle of egg whites
between the meringue and the filling.

Bob

Frank Mancuso

Jack Schidt® wrote:
> I did. In an attempt to brush some errant crumbs from a pie crust I dumped
> the whole thing in the sink!
>
> Jack Oops

I used up all my olive oil before I even started making my Italian Green
Beans(Fresh green beans,olive oil,bread crumbs, and frash parmesean!)
and had to go to the grocery store to get more. Thank God it was open!!

notbob

Kinda.

The recipe calls for brandy for the candied yams, but I thought I'd
try some bourbon instead. Well, the store didn't have a very good
selection of half pints so I ended up buying VO, a Canadian whiskey. I
got home and gave it a taste. Yuk! Not the flavor I was looking for.
So I mixed up a couple VO 'n Sevens. Does that count?

nb
Richard Periut

notbob wrote:
> Kinda.
>
> The recipe calls for brandy for the candied yams, but I thought I'd
> try some bourbon instead. Well, the store didn't have a very good
> selection of half pints so I ended up buying VO, a Canadian whiskey. I
> got home and gave it a taste. Yuk! Not the flavor I was looking for.
> So I mixed up a couple VO 'n Sevens. Does that count?
>
> nb

A splash of a nice premium brandy like Lepanto or Gran Duque D'Alba
would of done justice; the same with a Cognac, although I'd take a
brandy from Spain over a brandy from France any time.

Richard

--
"..A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava
beans and a nice chianti..."

Hannibal "The Cannibal"

Silence Of The Lambs 1991

Sam D.

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
. ..
> I did. In an attempt to brush some errant crumbs from a pie crust I

dumped
> the whole thing in the sink!
>
> Jack Oops

This is the first time I've tried brining a turkey. I didn't have a pot the
right size to do this so I used a cooking bag set inside another plastic bag
for additional strength. Not strong enough though. The bags burst and I had
brine all over the counter top and hardwood floor of the kitchen last night.
After the clean-up, the second attempt with properly supported bags seems to
have worked OK.

Blacksun21

>The recipe calls for brandy for the candied yams, but I thought I'd
try some bourbon instead. <

I usually splash in a little Jack Daniels.

Jen
San Francisco
Boron Elgar

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:23:25 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Jack Schidt® wrote:
>
>> I did. In an attempt to brush some errant crumbs from a pie crust I dumped
>> the whole thing in the sink!
>>
>> Jack Oops
>>

>Not much; the pecan pie is a little too done (almost scorched but not
>quite,) and the meringue is shrinking *big-time* on the lemon pie and has
>pulled away from the crust. Hopefully there's not a puddle of egg whites
>between the meringue and the filling.
>
>Bob

I had meringue problems, today, too. I used vanilla & that is
something I do not usually add and it just tastes "off." Then when I
piped the extra meringue onto a cookie sheet to bake for cookies,
damned if I just plum forgot to line the sheet with parchment. You
couldn't get them off the sheet with a blowtorch.

boron
PENMART01

In article >, "Sam D."
> writes:

>This is the first time I've tried brining a turkey. I didn't have a pot the
>right size to do this so I used a cooking bag set inside another plastic bag
>for additional strength. Not strong enough though. The bags burst and I had
>brine all over the counter top and hardwood floor of the kitchen last night.
>After the clean-up, the second attempt with properly supported bags seems to
>have worked OK.

If you left it out on the counter you're very lucky the bag burst.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Darrell Daniels

"Sam D." wrote:

> This is the first time I've tried brining a turkey. I didn't have a pot the
> right size to do this so I used a cooking bag set inside another plastic bag
> for additional strength. Not strong enough though. The bags burst and I had
> brine all over the counter top and hardwood floor of the kitchen last night.
> After the clean-up, the second attempt with properly supported bags seems to
> have worked OK.

Use a cleaned ice chest, (not styrofoam) very few people have a pot
large enough to brine a turkey, clean 5 gallon bucket is another idea,
theres always christmas to apply your lessons learned
Darrell

Dawn

Brother-in-law dropped the casserole with the garlic mashed potatoes in
the driveway.... fortunately it was on their way home and not coming in.

Otherwise all the food came out perfect and it was a nice dinner.

Dawn

Julia Altshuler

I'm not sure if it counts as a screw up since it's just the two of us,
and we're not on a schedule, but we figured the duck should be done only
the skin wasn't a nicely browned crust so we figured we'd broil it for a
few minutes. We did, and that worked. Then we went to carve it and
realized that it wasn't cooked inside at all so we put it back in the
oven. Meanwhile, the smoke alarm goes off whenever we turn on the
broiler so I fanned it with a newspaper while Jim got the duck back in
the oven.

I made phyllo triangles stuffed with mushrooms, that mild cheese I
mentioned getting in the duty free store and some of the sausage from
same. If I make them again, I'll leave out the sausage or halve the
amount. The flavor was too strong. But I don't count that as a screw
up. That's a learning experience.

--Lia

Mr. Wizard

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
. ..
> I did. In an attempt to brush some errant crumbs from a pie crust I

dumped
> the whole thing in the sink!
>
> Jack Oops

Got drunk and called my Dads new wife a Home Wrecker.

levelwave

Mr. Wizard wrote:

> Got drunk and called my Dads new wife a Home Wrecker.

LOL.

~john!

Terry Pulliam

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 17:44:13 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> arranged random neurons, so they looked like
this:

>I did. In an attempt to brush some errant crumbs from a pie crust I dumped
>the whole thing in the sink!

I left the 1/8 tsp. salt out of the pecan pie...does that count? Will
anyone notice?

Also, nuked some butter to get it just soft so I could butter a
casserole dish for the candied sweet potatoes. Butter soup does not
lend itself to buttering a casserole dish. Note to self: multitasking
is only a good thing if you're paying attention to your all your
tasks.

Having Thanksgiving dinner on Friday, to allow all family members to
attend.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove "gotcha"

Sam D.

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Sam D."
> > writes:
>
> >This is the first time I've tried brining a turkey. I didn't have a pot

the
> >right size to do this so I used a cooking bag set inside another plastic

bag
> >for additional strength. Not strong enough though. The bags burst and I

had
> >brine all over the counter top and hardwood floor of the kitchen last

night.
> >After the clean-up, the second attempt with properly supported bags seems

> >have worked OK.

> If you left it out on the counter you're very lucky the bag burst.

No, I know better than to do that. The rupture occurred as I was about to
place it in a disposable pan before placing it in the fridge.

Sam D.

"Darrell Daniels" > wrote in message
> "Sam D." wrote:
>

> > This is the first time I've tried brining a turkey. I didn't have a pot

the
> > right size to do this so I used a cooking bag set inside another plastic

bag
> > for additional strength. Not strong enough though. The bags burst and I

had
> > brine all over the counter top and hardwood floor of the kitchen last

night.
> > After the clean-up, the second attempt with properly supported bags

seems to
> > have worked OK.

> Use a cleaned ice chest, (not styrofoam) very few people have a pot
> large enough to brine a turkey, clean 5 gallon bucket is another idea,
> theres always christmas to apply your lessons learned
> Darrell

Actually it happened early enough in the process that I was able to start
over and, having learned from my mistake, get it right the second time. I
put the 13 lb.brined turkey on the Weber Kettle at mid afternoon and it
turned out fine. I don't think I would attempt to brine the bird in a bag
again, even though my second attempt was successful. It's just not worth the
risk. The 5-gallon bucket sounds like a good idea but maybe too large to fit
inside my refrigerator. I'm thinking that to maintain a safe temperature
during the brining process the bucket could be wrapped with an insulation
blanket and a few zip lock bags filled with water then frozen could be
placed inside the bucket.

Richard Periut wrote:

> notbob wrote:
> > Kinda.
> >
> > The recipe calls for brandy for the candied yams, but I thought I'd
> > try some bourbon instead. Well, the store didn't have a very good
> > selection of half pints so I ended up buying VO, a Canadian whiskey. I
> > got home and gave it a taste. Yuk! Not the flavor I was looking for.
> > So I mixed up a couple VO 'n Sevens. Does that count?
> >
> > nb

> A splash of a nice premium brandy like Lepanto or Gran Duque D'Alba
> would of done justice; the same with a Cognac, although I'd take a
> brandy from Spain over a brandy from France any time.

Hey! I second that!

Bert
Katra

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:23:25 -0600, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
> >Jack Schidt® wrote:
> >
> >> I did. In an attempt to brush some errant crumbs from a pie crust I dumped
> >> the whole thing in the sink!
> >>
> >> Jack Oops
> >>

> >Not much; the pecan pie is a little too done (almost scorched but not
> >quite,) and the meringue is shrinking *big-time* on the lemon pie and has
> >pulled away from the crust. Hopefully there's not a puddle of egg whites
> >between the meringue and the filling.
> >
> >Bob

> I had meringue problems, today, too. I used vanilla & that is
> something I do not usually add and it just tastes "off." Then when I
> piped the extra meringue onto a cookie sheet to bake for cookies,
> damned if I just plum forgot to line the sheet with parchment. You
> couldn't get them off the sheet with a blowtorch.
>
> boron

ROFL!
That was funny... ;-)
Probably not to you at the time tho'. ;-D

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
-L.

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message >...
> I did. In an attempt to brush some errant crumbs from a pie crust I dumped
> the whole thing in the sink!
>
> Jack Oops

DH put the Champagne in the freezer to get it a tad cooler and forgot
it - it froze solid. We were so stuffed we didn't care, anyway. Food
was perfect!

-L.

Bob Pastorio

Jack Schidt=AE wrote:

> I did. In an attempt to brush some errant crumbs from a pie crust I du=

mped
> the whole thing in the sink!
>=20
> Jack Oops

I *never* make mistakes in the kitchen. I *wanted* the buttery=20
cauliflower all over the fancy plastic floor that's almost impossible=20
to wipe fats from. And I especially wanted it in front of the door to=20
the dining room so no one could come help clean it up. It added a=20
certain je ne sais quoi to the decor and provided a cheerful note when=20
I screamed and said those, um, words.

So, no. No mistakes.

Pastorio

Katra

Bob Pastorio wrote:

> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>
> > I did. In an attempt to brush some errant crumbs from a pie crust I dumped
> > the whole thing in the sink!
> >
> > Jack Oops

> I *never* make mistakes in the kitchen. I *wanted* the buttery
> cauliflower all over the fancy plastic floor that's almost impossible
> to wipe fats from. And I especially wanted it in front of the door to
> the dining room so no one could come help clean it up. It added a
> certain je ne sais quoi to the decor and provided a cheerful note when
> I screamed and said those, um, words.
>
> So, no. No mistakes.
>
> Pastorio

ROFL!!!
That was funny, thanks!!!

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Bob Pastorio

zxcvbob wrote:

> Not much; the pecan pie is a little too done (almost scorched but not
> quite,) and the meringue is shrinking *big-time* on the lemon pie and
> has pulled away from the crust. Hopefully there's not a puddle of egg
> whites between the meringue and the filling.

Meringue is funny stuff. A couple things to help avoid shrinking and
wetness. Put a 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch in the meringue as you whip it.
Sprinkle a thin layer of cake crumbs on top of the filling before
putting on the meringue. Spread the meringue from edge to edge and
onto the crust.

Meringue does a funny sort of case hardening in a too-hot oven; the
outside overcooks while the inside doesn't cook enough. In a too-cool
oven, the proteins at the surface and inside don't set enough. Either
way can cause weeping.

I do meringues at 325F for about 20 minutes. Whole process: bake the
crust blind. Make the filling and pour into crust. Put plastic wrap on
the filling while I make the meringue. Take off the plastic wrap and
sprinkle cake crumbs on the filling. Spread the meringue and
immediately into the oven.

If it has to last more than a day or two, I make a Swiss, cooked
meringue. The stuff is bulletproof and eliminates the need to bake it.
To brown it, I just pop it under a broiler or take my Bernzomatic to it.

Pastorio

Bob Pastorio

Boron Elgar wrote:

> I had meringue problems, today, too. I used vanilla & that is
> something I do not usually add and it just tastes "off." Then when I
> piped the extra meringue onto a cookie sheet to bake for cookies,
> damned if I just plum forgot to line the sheet with parchment. You
> couldn't get them off the sheet with a blowtorch.

I use a Silpat sheet and the meringues fall right off. The first time,
it startled me.

They're a bit pricey, but they sure work.

Pastorio

Herself

Didn't put the probe deep enough in the breast, so the turkey was done
in an hour (at least we had a clue it wouldnt' be done, and carved early
and nuked the meat...thank god for brining).

Wasn't paying attention, and the marshmallows on top of the sweet
potatoes burned. At least they all came off in one piece, and we put on
the new ones...but I forgot to turn the oven on again, and it took an
extra 10 minutes :-)

Everyone loved it all tho, esp Alton Brown's cornbread pudding. That
went over quite well...even if I did have to use pseudo-creamed corn (I
guessed on how to make it), soy milk and egg replacer. Oh, and tofu
pumpkin pie (which is quite good, really)
--
'Tis Herself

Denise~*

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 17:44:13 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> wrote:

>I did. In an attempt to brush some errant crumbs from a pie crust I dumped
>the whole thing in the sink!
>
>Jack Oops

Over steamed the sweet potatoes for my "Bourbon pecan smashed sweet
potatoes" (Rachel Ray) They were a bit mushy.

Tomorrow for b-fast we will have "Bourbon pecan smashed sweet potato
pancakes" http://southernfood.about.com/librar...2/bl21102c.htm

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

How much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it's no longer a healthy choice?
sd

In article >,
"Jack Schidt®" > wrote:

> I did. In an attempt to brush some errant crumbs from a pie crust I dumped
> the whole thing in the sink!

D'oh!

I planned to make cornbread stuffing, but found out I didn't have enough
corn meal. Time for Plan B. Oops - don't have the ingredients (or time)
for that, either. Time for Plan C. Ended up making a surprisingly
successful stuffing out of commercial frozen garlic bread and some other
items I had around the house.

sd
occupant

Nancy Young wrote:
> =

> "Jack Schidt=AE" wrote:
> >
> > I did. In an attempt to brush some errant crumbs from a pie crust I =

dumped
> > the whole thing in the sink!
> >
> > Jack Oops

> =

> (laughing) I saw someone drop a pumkin pie just a couple of weeks
> ago. Went to take the two pies out and one just slid right off,
> all over the floor. What can you do, I laughed.
> =

> nancy (and Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone else, as well)

Reminds me of when I was a kid. My late mother hated to cook - any
excuse to eat out. No running water or plumbing living in the Yukon.
(circa. 1960) Mom made a couple of moss berry pies and a couple of lemon
pies from a mix every year. That was it for pie baking. One day she
opened the fridge and out slipped a moss berry pie face done on the
floor. If you can appreciate how scarce moss berries are (tastes like
blue berries, but much smaller berries) and how many you have to pick to
make a pie, you can then appreciate how sad this story really is. =

Whenever my brother and I get together, it is one of the stores that we
always return to. Remember the time when.......
Jack Schidt®

"Frank Mancuso" > wrote in message
.. .
> Jack Schidt® wrote:
> > I did. In an attempt to brush some errant crumbs from a pie crust I

dumped
> > the whole thing in the sink!
> >
> > Jack Oops
> >

> I used up all my olive oil before I even started making my Italian Green
> Beans(Fresh green beans,olive oil,bread crumbs, and frash parmesean!)
> and had to go to the grocery store to get more. Thank God it was open!!

In a situation like that, you almost want to leave a tip at the cashier;
they're like St Bernards in a snowstorm.

Jack Grateful

Wayne Boatwright

Bob Pastorio > wrote in news:vse46ko3u3upc9
@corp.supernews.com:

> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>
>> I did. In an attempt to brush some errant crumbs from a pie crust I du

> mped
>> the whole thing in the sink!
>>
>> Jack Oops

> I *never* make mistakes in the kitchen. I *wanted* the buttery
> cauliflower all over the fancy plastic floor that's almost impossible
> to wipe fats from. And I especially wanted it in front of the door to
> the dining room so no one could come help clean it up. It added a
> certain je ne sais quoi to the decor and provided a cheerful note when
> I screamed and said those, um, words.
>
> So, no. No mistakes.
>
> Pastorio

ROTFLMAO! That's a priceless description!

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

Bob Pastorio > wrote in
:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Not much; the pecan pie is a little too done (almost scorched but not
>> quite,) and the meringue is shrinking *big-time* on the lemon pie and
>> has pulled away from the crust. Hopefully there's not a puddle of
>> egg whites between the meringue and the filling.

> Meringue is funny stuff. A couple things to help avoid shrinking and
> wetness. Put a 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch in the meringue as you whip it.
> Sprinkle a thin layer of cake crumbs on top of the filling before
> putting on the meringue. Spread the meringue from edge to edge and
> onto the crust.
>
> Meringue does a funny sort of case hardening in a too-hot oven; the
> outside overcooks while the inside doesn't cook enough. In a too-cool
> oven, the proteins at the surface and inside don't set enough. Either
> way can cause weeping.
>
> I do meringues at 325F for about 20 minutes. Whole process: bake the
> crust blind. Make the filling and pour into crust. Put plastic wrap on
> the filling while I make the meringue. Take off the plastic wrap and
> sprinkle cake crumbs on the filling. Spread the meringue and
> immediately into the oven.
>
> If it has to last more than a day or two, I make a Swiss, cooked
> meringue. The stuff is bulletproof and eliminates the need to bake it.
> To brown it, I just pop it under a broiler or take my Bernzomatic to
> it.
>
> Pastorio

I seem to always have inconsistent results with most well known methods
for making and baking meringue, including the one you describe.

I stumbled across the following recipe several years ago (I think it was
from Bon Appetit), and it has been consistently foolproof for me. What
kind of meringue would you call it? Thanks, Bob...

Meringue

7 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 1/8 cups powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 300°F. Using electric mixer, beat egg whites in large
stainless steel bowl at low speed until foamy. Beat in cream of tartar
and 1 tablespoon sugar. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon
at a time. Beat at medium speed until stiff glossy peaks form, about 8
minutes. Spread meringue over warm filling, covering completely, sealing
meringue to crust edges and mounding in center. Bake pie for 30 minutes.
Reduce oven temperature to 275 F and continue to bake until meringue is
golden brown and set when pie is shaken slightly, about 50 minutes.
Transfer pie to rack and cool completely, about 4 hours. (Can be made 1
day ahead. Refrigerate uncovered.)

Wayne

PENMART01

(Herself) writes:

>Didn't put the probe deep enough in the breast, so the turkey was done
>in an hour (at least we had a clue it wouldnt' be done, and carved early
>and nuked the meat

Supposed to put the probe in the *thigh*. Next year.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Herself

PENMART01 > wrote:

> (Herself) writes:
>
> >Didn't put the probe deep enough in the breast, so the turkey was done
> >in an hour (at least we had a clue it wouldnt' be done, and carved early
> >and nuked the meat

> Supposed to put the probe in the *thigh*. Next year.

<looks at recipe> No, it says breast. Crap.

So I'm going to throw the whole thing in the stockpot. Just make broth,
I guess? Should I try a glace?
--
'Tis Herself
zxcvbob

Bob Pastorio wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Not much; the pecan pie is a little too done (almost scorched but not
>> quite,) and the meringue is shrinking *big-time* on the lemon pie and
>> has pulled away from the crust. Hopefully there's not a puddle of egg
>> whites between the meringue and the filling.

> Meringue is funny stuff. A couple things to help avoid shrinking and
> wetness. Put a 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch in the meringue as you whip it.

Last time I made meringue was in the summer and it was kind of humid, so I
expected problems. I used powdered sugar instead of granulated because it
has a little cornstarch in it, and I knew all the sugar would fully
dissolve. That meringue was horrible. It started collapsing as I spread
it on the pie.

> Sprinkle a thin layer of cake crumbs on top of the filling before
> putting on the meringue. Spread the meringue from edge to edge and onto
> the crust.
>
> Meringue does a funny sort of case hardening in a too-hot oven; the
> outside overcooks while the inside doesn't cook enough.

I think my oven runs a little hot. Everything cooks a little faster than
the recipe says. I baked the pie at 350 for about 15 minutes.

> In a too-cool oven, the proteins at the surface and inside don't set
> enough. Either way can cause weeping.
>
> I do meringues at 325F for about 20 minutes. Whole process: bake the
> crust blind. Make the filling and pour into crust. Put plastic wrap on
> the filling while I make the meringue. Take off the plastic wrap and
> sprinkle cake crumbs on the filling. Spread the meringue and immediately
> into the oven.
>
> If it has to last more than a day or two, I make a Swiss, cooked
> meringue. The stuff is bulletproof and eliminates the need to bake it.
> To brown it, I just pop it under a broiler or take my Bernzomatic to it.

My brother sent me a meringue recipe that I haven't tried yet. He pours
boiling simple sugar into the whipped egg whites to cook them. It sounds
about like divinity. I might have tried it this time, but I thought I was
pretty safe in dry cool weather, and I thought the cooked meringue might
have the wrong texture -- like 7 Minute Frosting.

Best regards,
Bob

PENMART01

(Herself) writes:

>PENMART01 > wrote:
>
>> (Herself) writes:
>>
>> >Didn't put the probe deep enough in the breast, so the turkey was done
>> >in an hour (at least we had a clue it wouldnt' be done, and carved early
>> >and nuked the meat

>> Supposed to put the probe in the *thigh*. Next year.

><looks at recipe> No, it says breast. Crap.

Recipe is wrong, as is often the case.

http://www.fightbac.org/where_place.cfm

Poultry
Insert the meat thermometer *into the inner thigh area* near the breast of the
chicken or turkey but not touching bone.
---

Most roasting poultry is sold these days with one of those plastic thingies
stabbed into the breast meat (Ouch!) but they are not very accurate. I don't
trust any meat thermometer with poultry, instead towards the end of cooking I
probe about with an instant-read thermometer... especially useful for checking
a stuffed bird.

>So I'm going to throw the whole thing in the stockpot. Just make broth,
>I guess?

Turkey stock in of itself is not high on the taste scale.

Turkey Vegetable Soup sounds more appetizing, perhaps a la hearty dago
minestrone... with greens, beans, and pasta.