Robert J. Brady

Default Stainless Steel Cookware

My significant other wants a set of Stainless Steel pots and pans. Any
recommendations?

Thanks,

Bob

jmcquown

Robert J. Brady wrote:
> My significant other wants a set of Stainless Steel pots and pans.
> Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

I adore my Revere Ware stainless (copper clad). I've had this cookware for
25 years and my mom has had hers for over 50. It heats evenly, is easy to
clean. I bought the basic starter set when I was around 19 years old:
skillet, dutch oven (lid fits both) and a couple of sauce pans. It came
with a steamer/strainer. Over the years I've tried other pans, including
non-stick. With the exception of good seasoned cast iron, I've never found
anything I like better. Hope this helps.

Jill

Padraig Breathnach

"jmcquown" > wrote:

>Robert J. Brady wrote:
>> My significant other wants a set of Stainless Steel pots and pans.
>> Any recommendations?
>>

>I adore my Revere Ware stainless (copper clad). I've had this cookware for
>25 years and my mom has had hers for over 50. It heats evenly, is easy to
>clean. I bought the basic starter set when I was around 19 years old:
>skillet, dutch oven (lid fits both) and a couple of sauce pans. It came
>with a steamer/strainer. Over the years I've tried other pans, including
>non-stick. With the exception of good seasoned cast iron, I've never found
>anything I like better. Hope this helps.

I don't intend this as a challenge, but I wonder if there is too much
made of such questions. I like stainless steel because it is easy to
clean. It seems to me that the most important things are that pots and
pans have well-machined heavy bases, good handles, good lids, and that
the sizes suit your cooker and the dishes you cook (and, no matter
what you have, it always seems that one size is missing from your
kitchen).

Do I take too simple a view for an august group such as this? Am I
missing a proper sense of decorum or mystique?

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Frogleg

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:16:15 +0000, Padraig Breathnach
> wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>>Robert J. Brady wrote:
>>> My significant other wants a set of Stainless Steel pots and pans.
>>> Any recommendations?
>>>

>>I adore my Revere Ware stainless (copper clad). I've had this cookware for
>>25 years and my mom has had hers for over 50.
>>

>I don't intend this as a challenge, but I wonder if there is too much
>made of such questions. I like stainless steel because it is easy to
>clean. It seems to me that the most important things are that pots and
>pans have well-machined heavy bases, good handles, good lids, and that
>the sizes suit your cooker and the dishes you cook (and, no matter
>what you have, it always seems that one size is missing from your
>kitchen).
>
>Do I take too simple a view for an august group such as this? Am I
>missing a proper sense of decorum or mystique?

If you check into Google groups, you will find numerous exhaustive and
quarrelsome discussions in the rfc archives. (Search on "the best").
I, for example, am on the record as being anti-"set." Over the years
I've collected bits and pieces of various types that seem to be
adquate for my needs. IMHO, "best cookware" questions appear to be
posted by people who hope there's some magic (and probably expensive)
"set" that will turn out perfect coq au vin if you heave a chicken and
a bottle of wine into in. (Robert's query isn't in this category, as
his SO has specified SS and he's looking for specific
recommendations.)

For Robert, I have no help. The rather thin SS I had years ago was
prone to sticking/burning, and I gradually replaced with other
compositions. I'm sure there *are* good stainless implements out
there.
Padraig Breathnach

Frogleg > wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:16:15 +0000, Padraig Breathnach
> wrote:
>
>>I don't intend this as a challenge, but I wonder if there is too much
>>made of such questions. I like stainless steel because it is easy to
>>clean. It seems to me that the most important things are that pots and
>>pans have well-machined heavy bases, good handles, good lids, and that
>>the sizes suit your cooker and the dishes you cook (and, no matter
>>what you have, it always seems that one size is missing from your
>>kitchen).
>>
>>Do I take too simple a view for an august group such as this? Am I
>>missing a proper sense of decorum or mystique?

>If you check into Google groups, you will find numerous exhaustive and
>quarrelsome discussions in the rfc archives. (Search on "the best").
>I, for example, am on the record as being anti-"set." Over the years
>I've collected bits and pieces of various types that seem to be
>adquate for my needs. IMHO, "best cookware" questions appear to be
>posted by people who hope there's some magic (and probably expensive)
>"set" that will turn out perfect coq au vin if you heave a chicken and
>a bottle of wine into in.

You mean there isn't? Shucks. I guess I'll have roast chicken and
drink the wine.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED

Robert J. Brady

Thanks for the information about Google. Answered all my questions and then
some.

"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> If you check into Google groups, you will find numerous exhaustive and
> quarrelsome discussions in the rfc archives. (Search on "the best").
> I, for example, am on the record as being anti-"set." Over the years
> I've collected bits and pieces of various types that seem to be
> adquate for my needs. IMHO, "best cookware" questions appear to be
> posted by people who hope there's some magic (and probably expensive)
> "set" that will turn out perfect coq au vin if you heave a chicken and
> a bottle of wine into in. (Robert's query isn't in this category, as
> his SO has specified SS and he's looking for specific
> recommendations.)
>
> For Robert, I have no help. The rather thin SS I had years ago was
> prone to sticking/burning, and I gradually replaced with other
> compositions. I'm sure there *are* good stainless implements out
> there.

Blair P. Houghton

Robert J. Brady > wrote:

>My significant other wants a set of Stainless Steel pots and pans. Any
>recommendations?

How much do you want to spend?

Just looking at the Consumer Reports 2004 buying guide (it
came sometime last week; how apropos) The $60 Revere Copper
Cuisine (don't worry; it's mostly stainless) set will
perform significantly less well than the $250 Farberware
Millennium set (also has some copper on it), which was
just behind the $150 Wolfgang Puck Bistro Collection set
(all just stainless). The only stainless "Best Buy" on the
list was a $120 Cook's Essentials nonstick/stainless set.

If you want to blow some cash, however, get a bunch of
All-Clad Stainless, which has a layer of aluminum between
two layers of stainless steel (to get the strength and
non-reactivity of steel along with the heat transmission
of aluminum). Several here will poo-pooh it, but they're
just envious.

--Blair
"I'm using it now."