kalanamak

Default Dressing question

If I am going to cook the dressing OUTSIDE of the bird (I'm doing JOC
prune and apple dressing with 3 cups bread cubes, 1 cup apple, 3/4 cup
chopped stewed prunes, some butter and seasoning) how long do I cook the
stuff? I figure I'll put it in a greased glass casserole and cook it at
the 325 or 50 the bird will be in at, but how long before eating do I
put it in?
TIA
blacksalt

Blacksun21

>If I am going to cook the dressing OUTSIDE of the bird (I'm doing JOC
prune and apple dressing with 3 cups bread cubes, 1 cup apple, 3/4 cup
chopped stewed prunes, some butter and seasoning) how long do I cook the
stuff? I figure I'll put it in a greased glass casserole and cook it at
the 325 or 50 the bird will be in at, but how long before eating do I
put it in?<

I just made a plain version of oven-baked dressing this Friday night for an
early Thanksgiving dinner with a few friends: cover with foil and bake at 400F
or so about 25 minutes, then uncover and bake 15-20 minutes more, until golden
and a bit crusty (crustiness to taste). It's going to need about half a cup of
liquid (perhaps veg stock and/or apple juice?) for 3 cups of bread cubes. If
you have to keep the oven temp lower, just bake it longer.

There was a time when I would never have considered making dressing instead of
stuffing, but I tried a plain dressing (Cooks Illustrated recipe) a few years
ago when I roasted a boned and rolled turkey breast instead of a whole turkey,
since I had only a few people for dinner. I was surprised to find I preferred
it! Much easier to manage in my tiny kitchen, too.

I did the boned and rolled turkey breast, gravy, cranberry sauce (homemade,
whole-berry), butternut squash (roasted earlier in the day, removed from skin &
mashed, then reheated with a little butter, brown sugar and a grating of
nutmeg), & steamed Brussels sprouts. Dessert: apple crumb pie.

Jen
San Francisco
j.j.

Hark! I heard kalanamak > say:

> If I am going to cook the dressing OUTSIDE of the bird (I'm doing JOC
> prune and apple dressing with 3 cups bread cubes, 1 cup apple, 3/4 cup
> chopped stewed prunes, some butter and seasoning) how long do I cook the
> stuff? I figure I'll put it in a greased glass casserole and cook it at
> the 325 or 50 the bird will be in at, but how long before eating do I
> put it in?

I'm not a big fan of stuffing cooked in the bird, so I usually make
it in a casserole dish. I cook it at 350 F for 40-45 minutes, depending
on the quantity and how crunchy I want it to be (I love crunchy dressing
smothered with turkey gravy!)...

--
j.j. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
Z GIRL

"kalanamak" > wrote in message
> If I am going to cook the dressing OUTSIDE of the bird (I'm doing JOC
> prune and apple dressing with 3 cups bread cubes, 1 cup apple, 3/4 cup
> chopped stewed prunes, some butter and seasoning) how long do I cook the
> stuff? I figure I'll put it in a greased glass casserole and cook it at
> the 325 or 50 the bird will be in at, but how long before eating do I
> put it in?
> TIA
> blacksalt

From a previous post on stuffing someone mentioned they cook their stuffing
in a bundt pan for a pretty presentation. I would cook it for about 45
minutes at 350 degrees. When you figure out when to put it in keep in mind
the turkey needs to be carved and the gravy made. Depending on how you do
things, some make their gravy before with stock made from the neck bone and
other lovely innards.

peace,
Barbara

kalanamak

Blacksun21 wrote:

> >If I am going to cook the dressing OUTSIDE of the bird (I'm doing JOC

> prune and apple dressing with 3 cups bread cubes, 1 cup apple, 3/4 cup
> chopped stewed prunes, some butter and seasoning) how long do I cook the
> stuff? I figure I'll put it in a greased glass casserole and cook it at
> the 325 or 50 the bird will be in at, but how long before eating do I
> put it in?<
>
> I just made a plain version of oven-baked dressing this Friday night for an
> early Thanksgiving dinner with a few friends: cover with foil and bake at 400F
> or so about 25 minutes, then uncover and bake 15-20 minutes more, until golden
> and a bit crusty (crustiness to taste).

Thanks for the info, Jen. Still remember how fun meeting you was! I had forgotten
the add liquid part.
kalanamak

Blacksun21

>Thanks for the info, Jen. Still remember how fun meeting you was! I had
forgotten
the add liquid part.
kalanamak<

Likewise! It's been too long.

How did the dressing turn out?

Jen
San Francisco
sf

Where have you been hiding and what have you be doing, girl?
I haven't seen you in (at least) as long as Kalanamak.

````````````````````

On 02 Dec 2003 07:27:47 GMT, (Blacksun21)
wrote:

> >Thanks for the info, Jen. Still remember how fun meeting you was! I had

> forgotten
> the add liquid part.
> kalanamak<
>
> Likewise! It's been too long.
>
> How did the dressing turn out?
>
> Jen
> San Francisco

Blacksun21

>Where have you been hiding and what have you be doing, girl?
>I haven't seen you in (at least) as long as Kalanamak.

Just busy. I'm still lurking around RFC, but I have neither the time nor the
interest to give it the thorough attention I used to in the "old days." Too
much junk and OT crapola to wade through.

OB food: stashed the leftover turkey, gravy, broth and pie crust in the
freezer-- planning a turkey pot pie for a few friends coming for Christmas
dinner. I wouldn't ordinarily consider something so casual for a holiday
dinner, but the mention of turkey pot pie elicited such moans of pleasure from
two of the nearest and dearest who are planning to be there that I thought,
"Oh, what the hell."

Jen
San Francisco
Blacksun21

>> OB food: stashed the leftover turkey, gravy, broth and pie crust in the
>> freezer-- planning a turkey pot pie for a few friends coming for

>Christmas
>> dinner.

>Daughter made a very simple one last Sunday. You're going
>to laugh at this. Son made a "crab boil" ala
>crawdad/lobster boil. He dumped in potatoes, carrots and
>celery with the regular seasonings (we boiled live crabs).
>There were some leftover potatoes and carrots which girl
>child threw into her turkey pot pie mixture.
>
>I'm thinking "Crab flavored turkey pot pie?", but it turned
>out great!

Yeah, I could see that-- just adds another layer of flavor. I have a recipe for
crab and pork pastry spirals that's delicious.

We made oyster stuffing for the turkey one year, using the jarred fresh
oysters. It was really, really good just out of the turkey, but it doesn't keep
well-- the next day it was too just too fishy to eat!

Jen
San Francisco