PENMART01

Default Purple Hull Beans

"Z GIRL" writes:

>What are purple hull beans? I intended to buy two cans of Black Eyed Peas
>and I find now that I grabbed one of each off the shelf at the grocery
>store. The picture of the beans on the cans looks very similar to black eyed
>peas.

Purple hull beans are "cow peas" (actually a bean). They appear
indistinguishable from black eyed peas.

>Assuming they are similar, can I mix them?

Probably... mix them in what?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

cynthia mason

They are different from black eyed peas in Arkansas. The hull is purple
and not green. The pea does not have a black eye. The taste and
texture is very different. We buy them in the summer at the farmers
market and cook them with smoked pork of some type. We often place
fresh okra on top of the peas and steam them. In winter -we buy them
frozen or canned. We also eat crowder, field and lady peas. Try them-
they are delicous.

Z GIRL

"raymond" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:10:11 -0600, "Z GIRL"
> > wrote:
>
> >What are purple hull beans? I intended to buy two cans of Black Eyed Peas
> >and I find now that I grabbed one of each off the shelf at the grocery
> >store. The picture of the beans on the cans looks very similar to black

eyed
> >peas. Assuming they are similar, can I mix them?
> >

> Here in the southeast, they are called purple hull peas. No matter
> whether they are a bean or not, I have never heard them called beans,
> and you will never hear the words "purple hull beans" at the farmer's
> market here. I bought my mother some seeds for her garden last year
> and they were labeled purple hulled peas. They are interchangeable
> with black eyed peas, with some variance in taste. Black eyes are, I
> would say, perhaps a little more earthier tasting than purple hulls.

I checked the can and they are Peas not Beans.

peace,
Barbara

PENMART01

In article >, "Z GIRL"
> writes:

>raymond" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:10:11 -0600, "Z GIRL"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >What are purple hull beans? I intended to buy two cans of Black Eyed Peas
>> >and I find now that I grabbed one of each off the shelf at the grocery
>> >store. The picture of the beans on the cans looks very similar to black

>eyed
>> >peas. Assuming they are similar, can I mix them?
>> >

>> Here in the southeast, they are called purple hull peas. No matter
>> whether they are a bean or not, I have never heard them called beans,
>> and you will never hear the words "purple hull beans" at the farmer's
>> market here. I bought my mother some seeds for her garden last year
>> and they were labeled purple hulled peas. They are interchangeable
>> with black eyed peas, with some variance in taste. Black eyes are, I
>> would say, perhaps a little more earthier tasting than purple hulls.
>>

> I checked the can and they are Peas not Beans.

Technically peas are beans (legumes)... purple hull beans are known as "cow
peas", aka blackeyed pea, of which there are various varietals (generally the
'eye' is of various hues, black, brown, purple, pink, etc.

http://www.southernexposure.com/thes...ods/16108.html

http://www.southernexposure.com/cgi-...chant.mvc+stor
e_code=SESE&screen=CTGY&category_code=CPEA